New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Potential prequel books

So, I think there could be at LEAST 2 more prequels (books -2 and -3). Book -2 could be about the Linear Guild, and book -3 could be about the Order of the Scribble. The book about the LG might get a bit long, describing the origins of both the permanent members (Nale, Sabine, and Thog), and the temporary/dead members. A book on the order of the scribble, on the other hand, might finally resolve those debates about Soon's age.

Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Potential prequel books

I can't shake the feeling that there's a Linear Guild/Tarquin book somewhere in the pipeline. It just seems right, given that we haven't had a prequel for a while, and where we are in the story right now.

A Scribble book would be lovely too, obviously, but I'd expect that to come later when we've seen more of Girard and Serini. If we're getting another prequel any time soon, I'd lay money on it being largely about Nale and Tarquin.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2011-09-27 at 12:38 AM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm guessing a Linear Guild book (opening up with Sabine, similar to how Origin opened up with Haley), focusing on Nale, Thog, Sabine, and Tarquin, but also leaving some room for the archfiends, Malack, Zz'dtri, Yikyik's family, Hilgya, the Empress, and maybe Tarquin's other allies. Similar to how SoD was basically the story of Redcloak, Xykon, and Right-Eye, but also left room for the MitD, the roaches, the Greenhilts, the Dark One, Lirian, and Dorukan.

Order of the Scribble book would be my second guess, though it would likely be saved until after OOTS is over or towards the very end (which is why I don't think it's the third prequel book mentioned in Paladin Blues).

Another often-suggested idea is just a general book about various secondary and tertiary characters. I think the possibility of such a book would depend on SS&DT's success. (EDIT: My reasoning for this being that it would be very non-standard and probably be a just-for-fun/because you demanded it kind of thing like SS&DT. i.e. No major backstory revealed.)
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2011-06-10 at 11:27 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Another often-suggested idea is just a general book about various secondary and tertiary characters. I think the possibility of such a book would depend on SS&DT's success.
    Its fate may have already been determined. The Giant already knows how many copies of SS&DT were ordered.

EDIT: BTW, Gift, have I ever mentioned you have the most awesome avatar?
    Last edited by Fitzclowningham; 2011-06-08 at 09:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Its fate may have already been determined. The Giant already knows how many copies of SS&DT were ordered.
    Whether people like it or not, however, is yet to be determined.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    EDIT: BTW, Gift, have I ever mentioned you have the most awesome avatar?
    Thank you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

"Holy Jar-Jar, not prequels!"

I don't think we need any more prequel books at this point. The two existing prequels cover the main heroes and the main villains - and that's great, because it would be a major diversion from the plot to try to recap their back story in the main strip. But as for Tarquin, and Nale, and the Scribblers - we do know quite enough about them for the story purposes.

From an artistic standpoint, prequels have two huge handicaps. First, the setting is already established, which means the writer has much less freedom than when creating a new work. Second, we know from the outset how the story has to end, which is even more limiting. That's the main non-CGI-related reason why the Star Wars prequels sucked so badly.

Quite possibly the Giant could overcome these issues and make a good job of it. He's a very talented writer. But is that how we really want to see him using his finite time and creativity?

Speaking for myself: hell no. I'd rather he focused on finishing the main story.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    "Holy Jar-Jar, not prequels!"
    We know that there is at least one more prequel planned. Now since for four years I only looked at the forum for news about delays, I don't know which thread might say anything about the subject officially. In the locked thread about SSaDT "The Giant" said:
    Originally Posted by King of Nowere
    I hope this is not the third prequel book promised years ago, but that there will be definitely another prequel book - since this is out of the continuity of the main comic and don't count as prequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This is most certainly NOT the third prequel book. There is no prequel material in here. Well...maybe one of the mini-stories, but most of it is either Dragon-continuity or no-continuity.
    I hope I did the quote coding correctly.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

I do not want a LG book. They are second-stringers and could not carry a book and probably would get annoying.
    This does not mean a book where the LG plays a role (like the story of the IFCC or so) would be impossible.

I still very much hope for a prequel book that outlines the background of various minor factions and NPC we met. Like some short-story collection, each background gets like 5 to 20 or 25 strips.
    The LG could play a role in that.
    (Some story about O-Chul, some about Miko, some small bit for the CitD, something on Sabine and/or Thog, a tidbit about ...)

What also would be fun would be a collection of "epilogues", like what happend to encountered NPC (an epilogue that is unrelated to the stuff the Order does now), an example would be the bit we saw on Goblin Dan.
    A book or booklet that outlined like 20 epilogues for totally minor NPCs (from the not-encountered King of Nowhere to, hell, the guy with the Halberd or Sir Elan's Paladin What Was His Name? or some Goblin Cleric or ...) would probably be a fun-read - and also give quite some nice background on the OotS-World.

A full-blown (or even half-blown) campaign setting about the places visited so far is probably something Rich could sell halfway well while the comic runs.
    But here probably comes another problem: Would it have to be 3.5 or 4e?

10. - Top - End - #10

Probably 3.5e, that's what the comic is in. And lots of people still play 3.5e, 2e, and 1e
    A book of epilogues is my favorite of the ideas so far in this thread. Particularly what happened to the people with the potion shop who sold potions for less than they paid.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's a great idea. But there's something I liked a lot and could give for some interesting stories, and that's the inner Haleys in her head.
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    I do not want a LG book. They are second-stringers and could not carry a book and probably would get annoying.

SNIP

What also would be fun would be a collection of "epilogues", like what happend to encountered NPC (an epilogue that is unrelated to the stuff the Order does now),
    I will never understand why people think Rich can write an entertaining story about completely random people for which there is no groundwork, but is incapable of making an interesting story about characters he actually cares about and uses often. Anything can be annoying if poorly written, but I have no reason to think that he'd write it any more poorly than anything else he's done.

Oh well, just so there's even representation in the event that Rich reads this: I would buy an LG prequel. I would buy any prequel created, honestly, but I would specifically buy that one.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

How about Hinjo's past or what happened to his parents?

14. - Top - End - #14

Just Hinjo/Miko probably isn't enough to make a book by itself...

@SPoD: I don't think an LG book would be written any worse than a book about random characters, I just like the idea of the random character's book more

15. - Top - End - #15

wouldn't it make sense for the OOTS to be in 2nd ed, after all didn't Durokon's (spelling?) dungeon have a whole area full of 2nd ed monsters? shows he at least interacted with 2nd ed.
    Big Ups to Vrythas for making my Avi!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Just Hinjo/Miko probably isn't enough to make a book by itself...
    If you take that together with Shojo's escapades and other notable members of the Sapphire Guard/prominent Azurites, I think you'd have enough material.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I will never understand why people think Rich can write an entertaining story about completely random people for which there is no groundwork, but is incapable of making an interesting story about characters he actually cares about and uses often.
    I do not say he could not write it, I just think the LG has their place in their story but as themselves (mostly Nale) I do not like them that much. So I would find a full book something I would not wish for, while I would surely wish for something as outlined.

Oh well, just so there's even representation in the event that Rich reads this: I would buy an LG prequel. I would buy any prequel created, honestly, but I would specifically buy that one.
    I'd buy it as well but given there is only a very limited number of non-main-strip books that could get written (let's assume between two to four or five), a LG prequel book is not what I would wish for.
    As visualisation, assume some virtual personal list of extra books that you would like to see - but you could only get the first three and the LG prequel was on spot #12 or so. So in the end, it would only matter what you had put on #1 to #3 and the stuff further down simply falls off.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carry2 View Post
    If you take that together with Shojo's escapades and other notable members of the Sapphire Guard/prominent Azurites, I think you'd have enough material.
    exactly! We could add like how the azurite nobles try to control the throne before the meat loaf day plot.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I think the most likely candidate for the third prequel book is the story of the Order of the Scribble, for a variety of reasons.

For one thing, it would fit in with the current numbering. If you think about the OotS timeline, you'd see that the order of events follows the book ordering: -1, 0, 1... An Order of the Scribble story would fit neatly into the timeline at -2, happening years before SoD. Other stories, such as the Linear Guild or various NPCs, would fit somewhere into the already established timeline, and numbering conventions such as -1&1/2 or "N" would inevitably lead to more serious discussions with the family as to where it should be placed on your shelf.

Next, although we have seen some backstory for the OotScribble, there is clearly much more to be told. Roy references as much here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html and http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0696.html. A more in-depth look at their adventures could also serve as a backdrop or deeper insight into the race/battle for the final two gates, just as SoD did in many ways for the battle for Azure City.

Finally, between the stories that Lord Shojo and Redcloak have told us, as well as what Blackwing saw in the rift, it is clear that there is much more going on here than we and the OotS themselves are aware of. A prequel about the Scribble's epic quest to seal the gates might also provide some clues or context for Snarl- or rift-related secrets.

Just my thoughts. I also think it's likely Rich will reprint an older book or two after SSaDT is all done before moving on to another book of new content.
    Last edited by Ftep; 2011-06-16 at 03:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    exactly! We could add like how the azurite nobles try to control the throne before the meat loaf day plot.
    Yes, but would it be interesting? The Giant can make lots of things funny, but how many people really care what was going on then, we'd be relying on the Giant's ability to make it funny to be worth it.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Second, we know from the outset how the story has to end, which is even more limiting. That's the main non-CGI-related reason why the Star Wars prequels sucked so badly.
    The main non-cgi reason the Star Wars prequels sucked was that the story made no sense. It's as though George Lucas had his six-year-old nephew write them.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ftep View Post
    I think the most likely candidate for the third prequel book is the story of the Order of the Scribble, for a variety of reasons.
    I think that's probably correct, but it raises two interesting followup questions...

One: would the artwork be in "scribble" style?

Two: presumably the Scribblers' campaign was every bit as long-winded as the main OOTS adventure, seeing as how they got to epic levels an' all. So unless the book is unreasonably huge, it can only show a small part of it. Any thoughts?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ftep View Post
    For one thing, it would fit in with the current numbering. If you think about the OotS timeline, you'd see that the order of events follows the book ordering: -1, 0, 1... An Order of the Scribble story would fit neatly into the timeline at -2, happening years before SoD. Other stories, such as the Linear Guild or various NPCs, would fit somewhere into the already established timeline, and numbering conventions such as -1&1/2 or "N" would inevitably lead to more serious discussions with the family as to where it should be placed on your shelf.
    Sabine is over 2000 years old (as per bonus strip #252a), so -2 could make sense. Sure, the majority of the story would take place alongside Origin, but so did a decent chunk of SoD.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2011-06-16 at 06:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

An Order of the Scribble book would be fitting, in order to tell what really happened back then. However, it can't come out until the very end of the OOTS, to avoid it spoiling the main history.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Yes, but would it be interesting? The Giant can make lots of things funny, but how many people really care what was going on then...
    Well, I do.

If you're talking about *just* the meatloaf day rebellion, yeah, that's some pretty thin material. But I think t209 may have meant in the more general sense in which I was referring to the development of the SG and it's relations to the larger city. Maybe even some background on Therkla/Kubota?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Carry2 View Post
    Well, I do.

If you're talking about *just* the meatloaf day rebellion, yeah, that's some pretty thin material. But I think t209 may have meant in the more general sense in which I was referring to the development of the SG and it's relations to the larger city. Maybe even some background on Therkla/Kubota?
    I guess... Personally it feels that something that was so small in the grand scheme of the story would be harder to write well and interestingly. And all the WMG spawning off of it would be as ridiculous as that Haley's sister nonsense months ago. Whereas the Order of the Scribble book strikes me as a much better book to write.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

I guess... Personally it feels that something that was so small in the grand scheme of the story would be harder to write well and interestingly. And all the WMG spawning off of it would be as ridiculous as that Haley's sister nonsense months ago. Whereas the Order of the Scribble book strikes me as a much better book to write.
    I suppose the Order of the Scribble have a more central role in the 'core narrative' of the looming-apocalyptic-threat-scenario. So, yeah, I can understand that. But in terms of the array of interesting characters represented, I think an Azure-City-focused collection is just as deserving, and possibly more so, than other contenders.

28. - Top - End - #28

Chimera

Yes, but would it be interesting? The Giant can make lots of things funny, but how many people really care what was going on then, we'd be relying on the Giant's ability to make it funny to be worth it.
    Oddly, I thought of it the other way round.

I thought that while I am sure it will be interesting, how will it be funny?

There will have to be some humorous characters involved, or else it becomes all plot and character development. (Not that I have any problem at all with the other two...)

I also wonder about the humour for the Order of the Scribble, too. Though at least the Halfling seemed a bit fluff-headed and could be a good source of amusement. In fact, that would be a neat character opposite for Belkar...
    Last edited by Caractacus; 2011-06-17 at 08:17 AM.
    Caractacus

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I'm a big fan of the Scribble prequel idea.

For one thing, we still don't know a lot about those guys. Yes, Girard's chaotic and Soon's lawful, but that doesn't make them fleshed-out characters. We got a better taste of Lirian and Dorukan from SoD, but we know next to nothing about Serini and Kraagor. There's a lot that can be done in characterization and developing the relationships between these six people. I'm still curious to see the results of Serini's crush for Girard.

Also, though we have a general idea what happened to make the Scribbles break up, we don't know exactly what caused Soon and Girard to hate each other's guts. Disagreements over alignment don't cause teammates to try to kill each other. If they did, the Order of the Stick would be missing half its people.

Plus, I think Rich is hiding a few key details from us. "Anger and resentment that had simmered from years of adventuring were suddenly unleashed. Words were said that could never be taken back." Where did this anger and resentment come from? What possible words could be said that would get three adventuring buddies ready to vaporize each other? Kraagor's death doesn't seem like a strong enough catalyst for such a fight. I think there was something else going on that we don't know about. My current theory is that Soon abandoned Kraagor at the rift and got him sealed inside. I'm not going to know if I'm right or not unless a Scribble prequel comes out.

Just because we sort of know the ending to the Scribble's story doesn't mean a book of them would lack any dramatic tension or new information. We knew Redcloak helped make Xykon a lich and that the two of them took over Dorukan's dungeon before the Order got there, but their book was one of the best parts of OotS I've ever read.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alagaesian View Post
    We knew Redcloak helped make Xykon a lich
    No, actually. The first indication that Xykon wasn't already a lich when he met Redcloak was in Start of Darkness.