New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: New OOTS Book: "Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales"

My two cents.

1. It is not unreasonable to ask for any information about possible delays, now that the 11th May has passed; by some people's definition (including mine) we are now in mid-May.

2. It is not unreasonable to be told "suck it up" or "be patient"; by some people's definition, (perhaps including ookadook/GITP), "early May" lasts until 15th.

3. It is very unreasonable to complain about paying up front for a product that will be delivered at a fairly indefinate later date when those were the exact terms of the agreement from the beginning.

4. I'd have liked the book yesterday too, and my money is just as hard-earned as any body else's. On the 16th I will be joining the calls for some more info on delivery dates and and delays.

5. Even after the 16th, it would not be unreasonable for us to be told to "suck it up"; the product's availability is listed as "May 2011", with a note in the FAQ that "early May" is a goal. Again, all this was known (or at least knowable) before orders were accepted and money taken.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-05-12 at 10:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by kabbes View Post
    {scrubbed the original, scrub the quote}
    Actually, they're not. Read that rule again: it says that "If no time is promised" the company must ship within 30 days. They *did* promise a date--May 2011. Therefore, you don't have a leg to stand on until the end of May.
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:04 PM.

4. - Top - End - #304

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Actually, they're not. Read that rule again: it says that "If no time is promised" the company must ship within 30 days. They *did* promise a date--May 2011. Therefore, you don't have a leg to stand on until the end of May.
    No -- 30 days is the maximum. If they promise an earlier date then they have to stick to it. Otherwise, 30 days.

... although I'm basing that maximum on interpretations read from other websites. I have to say that the regulation itself says nothing about it being a maximum.

Either way, I still think an update as regards the expected timetable is a proportionate request to the current situation and not at all the unreasonable demand some posters have made it out to be.
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-12 at 10:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Banned

{scrubbed}
    It's a small company ran by a relatively small artist. They said "Here's some awesome book but as we are a very small company without much cash, please pay beforehand".

You KNEW this. BEFORE you paid. It was also clear there can be delays - and so far it's not even clear if there even is some delay!
    If you don't care that much about OotS and Rich Bulew's work to give him and this small business a moment - why did you order it in the first place? This is not BigCompany that tries to screw you but some guy offering you something cool.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    It's a small company ran by a relatively small artist. They said "Here's some awesome book but as we are a very small company without much cash, please pay beforehand".

You KNEW this. BEFORE you paid. It was also clear there can be delays - and so far it's not even clear if there even is some delay!
    If you don't care that much about OotS and Rich Bulew's work to give him and this small business a moment - why did you order it in the first place? This is not BigCompany that tries to screw you but some guy offering you something cool.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

What's up with all the double and triple-posting? There is an edit button, you know.

There was a date given - May. So far, no news is good news. I'm sure they'll let us know if for some reason everything is not on schedule. There's no need to do anything but sit back and relax.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #308

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Banned

Why? It's still within the schedule. And even if it is out of it, it'd be just a few days. Spare your complaints in those cases to big companies that have a complaint-department.

I still think you are overreacting quite strongly on this. Chill out, noone is going to steal your money or do bad things with it or is going to be totally mean and delay the shipping of the book on purpose. This isn't worth risking a heartstroke. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCodRPGER View Post
    {scrubbed}
    Pro tip: The website said this was the RULES how this worked. You knew them. Rich here explained the reason. I agree it's a good one. It's still within the time given on the website.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

They've already explained why they did it that way. It was for security purposes, so that your credit card info isn't stored in a place where it can be stolen. You already know when to expect what you paid for. It will ship early May.
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:13 PM.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

11. - Top - End - #311

For the record: I certainly don't think anybody is making any attempt to run off with my money. Nor am I particularly peronally bothered by the delay. Neither of those two things, however, change the fact that the regulations are there to protect the consumer. Nor do they make it unreasonable to ask for a timetable when the stated one ("early May") is at the very least on the verge of being breached.

I do not yet have a complaint so I am not making a complaint. I am merely requesting a note as to when we might expect things to happen.

And also for the record, it is precisely the small vendor that is most at risk of running into money problems and so folding without fulfilling its obligations. There is a reason that it is a bad idea to acquire debtors. A lack of desire to fulfil the obligations is not the only reason that consumers end up losing money.
    Last edited by kabbes; 2011-05-12 at 07:52 AM.

12. - Top - End - #312

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

{scrubbed}

Anyway, my real question - does anyone have any suggestions at all about where I could find copies of Paladin Blues and War and XPs? I started collecting the books too late to get them, managed to miss the magically-reappearing box of Paladin Blues a few weeks ago and now find myself facing down $100+ prices on Amazon and a near-complete lack of Ebay options. I have all the other books but can't locate those two. Obviously, I'd happily buy them from the website if they were available but it sounds from this thread like there's no promise of a reprint. Did you guys all buy your books before they went out of print, or how'd you find your copies? I'm just a fan looking to round out my collection without paying crazily inflated prices, so any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advice,
    -Kilrathi
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

Again, that only applies if the company made no promise about when it would be shipped, they clearly said May, and it has not been 30 days since May yet.
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:18 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

15. - Top - End - #315

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:20 PM.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

16. - Top - End - #316

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:21 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrathi View Post
    Anyway, my real question - does anyone have any suggestions at all about where I could find copies of Paladin Blues and War and XPs?
    I fear you have to wait until they get back in print. Which depends - as Rich stated some time (months by now?) ago - on how well the still existing books sell. Either that or you need to get lucky on ebay or in a comic book store in your area.

Did you guys all buy your books before they went out of print
    I think it's safe to say for most cases of bookowners: Yes.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I'm sorry to say that the issues above are precisely why I chose not to pre-order my copy. When the books are fully available, I'll purchase one and have it shipped to me. And I, Mr. Burlew, and APE games will be fully satisfied with the transaction. I hope.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

20. - Top - End - #320

Quote Originally Posted by sam79 View Post
    It seemed sensible to me for people to ask for an update in a place where others will be able to see that the question has been asked and, hopefully, answered. {scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

In the very first post to this thread, Mr. Burlew said to ask any questions here. So it is not unreasonable to ask for an update to when it will be shipping here.

I do have another question since this is my first order. When it does ship will I get a shipping email?

22. - Top - End - #322

I do have another question since this is my first order. When it does ship will I get a shipping email?
    It's not a definitive answer, but FYI: I always have with previous orders.

23. - Top - End - #323

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324

Quote Originally Posted by sam79 View Post
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:29 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325

In the very first post to this thread, Mr. Burlew said to ask any questions here. So it is not unreasonable to ask for an update to when it will be shipping here.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabbes
    Of course people can ask questions here; it is one of the purposes of the thread. But that doesn't make it any less a public forum.

Also, I'm not suggesting people send message to ookadook/GITP; I just pointed out that that was one option if you don't want others to evaluate and comment on your views. If I'm making any suggestion at all, it is to wait, at least until the 16th May.
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326

Well my suggestion is that if people have a question then they do what the thread directs them to do and ask that question.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by SMEE; 2011-05-13 at 09:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    I'm sorry to say that the issues above are precisely why I chose not to pre-order my copy. When the books are fully available, I'll purchase one and have it shipped to me.
    Is this book going to be available to people who don't preorder? That wasn't the impression I'd gotten.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Locked for review. Flaming for any reason is not permitted and the giving of legal advice is an Inappropriate Topic on this Forum.

Also, as usual, when there is information that can be announced it will be announced, whether here or over at Ookoodook or both. Until then, complaints, threats, and such posted here cause more work only for the hardworking forum staff and do nothing to speed up or shake loose any kind of information. We just don't have it.

Do not restart this thread or a thread about this.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex