New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: New OOTS Book: "Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales"

Obviously I MUST have both the book and the expansion.

$15 is high for shipping to the UK - but its $27 for both!

I wondered if we clubbed together somehow we might bring the cost down, but I suspect that would be too complex. A UK distibutor might be appreciated though.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    Why would he want to put safeguards in place to prevent that? It's a sale for him either way. If anything, it's the exact opposite: By announcing that it's a limited edition, he encourages people with a little extra money to buy one now and eBay it in two years, thus netting him an extra sale now and the person with the extra cash a little profit later. And those of us who don't want to pay eBay prices in two years should buy now, which again helps Rich earn his money back now and not later.

Every company who has ever put out a "Limited Edition" or "Collector's Edition" has done the same thing.
    I suppose. I'm mostly concerned for the people who don't find out about the comic until after this is over, but I suppose that's why eBay was invented. It just seems weird to encourage a system where other people can make a profit off of the Giant's hard work, just by grabbing a copy now and sitting on it for a few years. Well, that's capitalism for you.

Also, it occurred to me afterward that with the Japan quake relief, buying more copies now really can't be that bad a thing to do. (Add to that the fact that it's thanks to this board that I actually know some folks in Japan...)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to invest in a little art speculation. And by that I mean, pre-order a bunch of copies to keep in mint condition in a safety deposit box somewhere. (That oughta earn a funny look or two from the bank tellers.)
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    There's 780 pages of samples on this site right now. What exactly would you need to see?
    Well, if it were more of the OOTS continuity then I would have ordered already, but Rich already said this is not part of the continuity that we know - I imagine more like 'outtakes' or something. I know nothing of the Dragon strips, and I'm not much of a tabletop gamer - my D&D experience is PC games only. So, although I think it quite likely I will enjoy the book, I'm not sure. At $35 for 112 pages, it's not cheap and unfortunately I have to be very prudent with my limited luxury money.

Does that make more sense? I hope so...

TBH I will most likely pre-order this without seeing sample strips, I'm certainly not trying to twist Rich's arm - it was just a simple request.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Ordered! Say, Rich, I was wondering if you would like/are able to talk about how you came to an understanding with Hasbro. It was their ownership of the IP that kept you from publishing the material before, wasn't it?

Thanks

5. - Top - End - #65

Here's the real question this brings up.

Does this mean none of the "mainline" books will be green?

Because most of the speculation was that the current book would be green to go along with Belkar on the cover...

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Ordered! Say, Rich, I was wondering if you would like/are able to talk about how you came to an understanding with Hasbro. It was their ownership of the IP that kept you from publishing the material before, wasn't it?
    No, that was never the case, and I've said so before. No one has ever owned any OOTS material other than me. My contract with Paizo (because they were the licensed publishers at the time, not Hasbro) specifically left all IP rights in my hands. Pazio only got publishing rights, to the point that they weren't allowed to put OOTS strips in their PDF versions of Dragon® because that hadn't been stipulated in the contracts.

What kept me from publishing before now was not enough appropriate ideas to fill out an entire book, followed by the time to actually write and produce the book without letting my updates on the regular comic get worse than my already-crappy pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    Here's the real question this brings up.

Does this mean none of the "mainline" books will be green?

Because most of the speculation was that the current book would be green to go along with Belkar on the cover...
    There are many shades of green. There are three right in Belkar's outfit, in fact. Though it would be purely speculative to assume that Belkar will necessarily be on the cover of the next book, or that if he was, that the book color would necessarily be green.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

Like other oversea forumites, I am not too thrilled about this "limited offer" because I now pay $ 36.90 for book and expansion and $ 28.90 for shipping. But oh well, it'll be my treat for the month. And of course, I wasn't forced to buy the expansion as well.

Still, I hope I can buy the next products at my retailer again.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

(I just joined but I've been a long time reader of the comic.)

I was so excited when I saw the news about a new book and loved it even more when I read what it was about and thought to myself:
    "Nice! Can't wait until my local store import... ONLY ON OOKOODOOK!? Where's me creditcard!?"

And then some mad rummaging ensued and not a cat was left unflinged across the rooms of me humble abode.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ach, the postal stuff make it come to $36.90. Even in dollars (which are slightly less than the pound, though not by much IIRC), it's still gonna be a bit hard to convince my beloved benefactors to get it for me.

Still, I'll try and get it.

Stupid bankers.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground
    Thumbs up Re: New OOTS Book: "Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales"

I've been waiting forever to see the strips from the magazine I never got to see.
    And the 4th Dimension strips are bound to crack me up.
    So I am ordering two copies.
    They'll be-out of-print first editions in three month's time!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm...

On the one hand, awesome book.

On the other hand, I'm put off by the extravagant shipping costs. Honestly now, $15 shipping on a $20 book, who makes up stuff like that? I'm happy to pay The Giant for quality comics; I'm substantially less eager to pay a third party much more than shipping costs on other sites.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2011-03-14 at 08:10 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Though it would be purely speculative to assume that Belkar will necessarily be on the cover of the next book, or that if he was, that the book color would necessarily be green.
    Nice non-answer.

(SQUEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!eleven! The Giant responded to one of my posts!)

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

13. - Top - End - #73

Pre-ordered!

without letting my updates on the regular comic get worse than my already-crappy pace.

Its ok Giant, the "crappy pace" is made up for by brilliant work ^_^

...+ this book has an evil snail on it...

I need this book...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

How come the dragon doesn't look like a regular OoTS dragon?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Eh? New book, with exclusive material, and a limited print run? Better grab one while I can then. Pre-ordered.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

Am saying that the reason you're doing a limited print run (I looked at the FAQ) seems a bit silly, it looks like loads of people want it, and there's enough extra stuff to interest them. But that's just me saying, I really have no idea.

Also, the title references both the rhyme, and snails and dragons. What's a smip?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Because it's SPECIAL !

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Because it is THE Dragon.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2011-03-14 at 09:20 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ookoodook exclusivity makes this one a rather expensive book considering the 15$ shipping.

Combined with the "buy now, because it's only available fpr a short time!" restrictions, this makes for a rather aggressive advertising strategy.
    Last edited by Moriarty; 2011-03-14 at 09:58 PM.
    You want some advice? No matter where you go in life, always keep an eye out for Johnny the Tackling Alzheimer’s Patient.

thanks to XenoTherapy for my avatar!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pre-ordered via a friend I have in the States, who will then send to me (So I can pick a more comfortable payment option for me)
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    Ookoodook exclusivity makes this one a rather expensive book considering the 15$ shipping.
    Try the $42.95 shipping, which is what I'd have to look at in lil' ol' New Zealand.
    Why?
    Because last time we bought OotS through an international website and they used those piddly cardboard envelopes, they arrived damaged. And I'm VERY careful about my books.
    The company at the time offered a voucher... but seriously the only things we ordered from them was OotS so by the time the next one came out it'd expired...

So I want it... oh yes I do...
    But I gotta get some friends together and see if we can make it worth the cost...

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ordered, also snagged a copy of SoD while I was at it.

And yeah I'd like to add to the people who wish there was a "really slow but cheap" delivery option instead of the "super ultra deluxe first class money sink" only option. Only thing that kinda made me think twice about ordering something, then i saw "limited time offer".

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, I'm having MAJOR problems with the Ookoodook site. I registered, but when I try to put in my address, view my order, or anything else I get a No Selection error. The drop down menu does nothing, the Edit button leads to the No Selection error. I also tried the Contact Us function, but when I clicked Submit, I got a Website Does Not Exist error. I've tried both my computer at home and my Smart Phone.

I don't want to try to buy this off eBay in the aftermarket market, but I'm getting a tad frustrated. Any suggestions? I've bought every other book through either Paizo or my FLGS.
    Last edited by Surfing HalfOrc; 2011-03-14 at 11:17 PM.
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

*delighted cackle* Ordered! Early May gives me the perfect reason- a birthday present for myself, wa haha! As for the Dungeon Crawlin' Fools I picked up with it- a very merry unbirthday as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    [...] occasionally breaks into maniacal rants about menfolk, children, and the humans
    Phenomenal avatar by Fullbladder.
    Official Goblinologist of the Redcloak Fan Club. Proud supporter of Goblin Dan!
    Now, get back in line and sing along.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    --ordering problems [snip].
    I tried ordering in Firefox, which is my usual browser. I have noscript installed and other things like adblock plus and "the proxomitron". Dispite lowering my "shields" as much as possible I couldn't order in that browser.

Then I tried in IE8. It worked first time.... I'm not saying it's the web site's fault, might have been that I had some protection still up in Firefox that I'd forgotten about. I only ever use IE as a fallback position and it almost always works.

You have probably already tried that, but just thought I'd mention it...
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Excellent news in the midst of my essayocalypse

Looking forward to ordering it soon
    That Belkar, as stubborn as he is stone-cold sexy.

Vice-President of the Monster in the Darkness Fanclub.

Grand Phylactery Carrier of the Xykon Fanclub.

Lovely Yunatar by the magnificent Ceika

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphem View Post
    And yeah I'd like to add to the people who wish there was a "really slow but cheap" delivery option instead of the "super ultra deluxe first class money sink" only option.
    Have you ever ordered bulk shipping overseas? The package would arrive completely destroyed, and that's if it isn't lost in some warehouse in West ShippingSpot for a few months. The amount of books that would need to be refunded due to being destroyed, lost, or just delayed so long they thought it was lost would be astronomical.

It's not "super ultra deluxe first class money sink". It's "We're not a large business, we can't afford to lose packages to save a few bucks"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    Have you ever ordered bulk shipping overseas? The package would arrive completely destroyed, and that's if it isn't lost in some warehouse in West ShippingSpot for a few months. The amount of books that would need to be refunded due to being destroyed, lost, or just delayed so long they thought it was lost would be astronomical.

It's not "super ultra deluxe first class money sink". It's "We're not a large business, we can't afford to lose packages to save a few bucks"
    This.

Anyone who was around when the very first book came out would remember that something like 700 books got lost in bulk shipping to Europe. Rich had to send them all again and eat the cost of better-quality shipping. I think it almost put him out of business. I'm not surprised he's not willing to take that chance again.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Edit: Nevermind.
    Last edited by squidbreath; 2011-03-15 at 12:21 AM.
    ░Avatar altered from sensate's░

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

What is a heavy templated snail?
    Click the little picture underneath the book cover.

It's this guy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.