New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Exclamation New OOTS Board Game expansion and Deluxe Edition now available for pre-order

Just a thread to let you guys know that the new expansion pack, The Shortening, is available for pre-order now, along with the Deluxe Edition reprint of the basic game (but with The Shortening added in). You can learn more about both games here.

Apegamer and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about the game and the expansion.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: New OOTS Board Game expansion and Deluxe Edition now available for pre-order

Will the expansion contain anything for the normal length game? (new monsters/stichks/rooms etc.). Or will it only be content for the fast version?
    Last edited by Torrasque; 2011-03-14 at 06:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: New OOTS Board Game expansion and Deluxe Edition now available for pre-order

Never mind, i found my answer in the "deluxe edition" information ... it doesnt say while only reading about the expansion though :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is The Shortening also only at ookodook, like the new book, or will it reach the stores?
    The abilities of the Force: Control, Alter, Delete.
    Zombie Apocalypse if and only if Cake.
    My Little Dashie made me cry.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    Is The Shortening also only at ookodook, like the new book, or will it reach the stores?
    According to the pages on Ookoodook, the standalone Shortening is an exclusive, but the Deluxe edition of the game, which includes the original game and the Shortening, is not an exclusive.
    Last edited by mathewt; 2011-03-14 at 10:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Torrasque View Post
    Will the expansion contain anything for the normal length game? (new monsters/stichks/rooms etc.). Or will it only be content for the fast version?
    Almost everything in the set can be used for both the full game or the fast game. The only thing that is fast-game-only are the cards used with the Wandering Xykon rule variant, which comprise less than 10 of the cards in the set. Other than that, there are 36 new shticks, 49 new battle cards (a mixture of monsters and Screw This! cards), 12 new Loot cards, and a Backstory deck of 48 cards. And the Backstories can be used in either the full game or the timed-game variant (or even with the Wandering Xykon variant).

Many of the cards are designed to speed up play not by changing the rules but by adding features that attack some of the ways that the game can slow down, such as huge rooms of monsters all supporting one another. So now, there's a new Screw This! card that lets you freeze the number of monsters in the room instead of adding more, and there are several abilities that let you attack a monster further down in the stack instead of the top one.

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    Yes, the standalone deck for The Shortening is Ookoodook-exclusive, mostly because we wanted existing game-owners to be able to buy just the expansion but it would have been far too expensive for them if we had to price it to take into account the retailer's cut. We thought it would be better to offer it through the website for those people who already owned the game, but those who didn't could buy the whole thing together as a package at their local store.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Does the expansion provide options for a more cooperative Belkar?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Lizardfolk

When's the Linear Guild expansion set going to be here?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have a problem with ordering from the website if it's the only option, but will the expansion (and/or the new book) be available at the hypothetical Gen Con booth? Too early to say?

Just curious.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Will this be available at GenCon? I spent...uh...$$$ at GenCon 2009 buying the game plus all the books out at the time, and I'd be happy to do so again. :D

11. - Top - End - #11

The expansion will almost certainly be at GenCon. If it were to sell out, I'm sure APE would reprint it right away.

For the book, it's too early to tell whether or not I'll be able to print extra beyond what people pre-order, and whether any extra that I do print lasts until August. It could go either way right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mir View Post
    Does the expansion provide options for a more cooperative Belkar?
    Not really. It's still Belkar, after all. None of his new cards specifically encourage cooperation. The best I can say is that none of them really encourage screwing other players, either. They are mostly focused on helping him fight monsters.

But it comes down to the fact that if you're in the mood to play cooperatively, Belkar shouldn't be your first choice of characters.
    Rich Burlew

12. - Top - End - #12

Question Re: New OOTS Board Game expansion and Deluxe Edition now available for pre-order

Will the expansion pack include FAQ and/or Errata for the base game?

Also, will the Deluxe version differ from the original package, besides having the expansion in it and a new cover? E.g., corrected manual, a new introduction comic or something like that.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Will the expansion pack include FAQ and/or Errata for the base game?
    No, but the Errata/FAQ can still be downloaded from this link. We didn't reprint it and stick it in The Shortening box, though, if that's what you're asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Also, will the Deluxe version differ from the original package, besides having the expansion in it and a new cover? E.g., corrected manual, a new introduction comic or something like that.
    My understanding is that all known Errata has been incorporated into the cards and manual. Other than that, the inclusion of The Shortening box, and a new outer box design, the Deluxe is unchanged from the original set. I think the existing Errata/FAQ document is still included in the Deluxe, though, because the FAQ questions are still valid.

Bottom line is, if you have the original set and you have the Errata sheet, there's not much reason to preorder the Deluxe Edition (instead of just The Shortening) unless your players have been getting into fisticuffs over the Errata not being printed on the cards. Just order The Shortening.
    Rich Burlew

14. - Top - End - #14

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

In the game, there is a card named 'The Dragon from the Front of the Box', and it is exactly what it says, the blue dragon that is shown in the scene on the front of the box. However, I notice that the Deluxe Edition shows Team Evil/Linear Guild fighting a GOLD DRAGON, so will the image on the card change as well?

(Boring question I know, but I was curious.)
    Last edited by Thattaman; 2011-05-01 at 04:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Thattaman View Post
    In the game, there is a card named 'The Dragon from the Front of the Box', and it is exactly what it says, the blue dragon that is shown in the scene on the front of the box. However, I notice that the Deluxe Edition shows Team Evil/Linear Guild fighting a GOLD DRAGON, so will the image on the card change as well?

(Boring question I know, but I was curious.)
    I really wanted to do this, but we tryed to avoid adding any completely new cards to the basic set.
    Rich Burlew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Any estimation regarding the release of the expansion ?

18. - Top - End - #18
    APE Games in the Playground

The games will leave the printer this week. It will take 30-40 days to arrive in our warehouse and they will ship as soon as we get them.

Kevin
    Owner of APE Games.

19. - Top - End - #19

But watch out—if you don't get to Michael soon enough, he may come looking for you!
    [Josh Cronin]

So what is wondering xykon
    Last edited by Ember_Glow; 2011-08-15 at 09:37 AM.
    Huge thanks to Kairaven for my avatar.

At the moment pony.uk are low on Fan-Fics and could really use some, find out more here.