New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Three Goddesses (IC)

Lystara

Watching all of this with empty pockets, Lystara sighs and looks at bowl. Her expression goes blank, before stepping forward and seeing if it can be moved.

"This little creting wants gold right? Whenever we put gold in the bowl, it burns up... I wonder..."

If the bowl can't be moved, she'll step towards the idol and see if it can be lifted. Then she looks back at the flames in the bowl with a purpose.

"Were this little nuisance to burn up, do you think it would go to where all the burned gold went?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Can't do anything else until I know if the idol and the bowl can be moved. I'm suggesting we either put the idol in the bowl to send him to all the gold, or put the bowl under the idol to do the same.

We're not really sure if he's getting anything that's burned up, afterall.

EDIT
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm, Dot´s reading might be relevant. If the Idol or the Bowl are nonmegical, I have some options open up.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2011-03-28 at 07:04 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Taleira

"Now this is starting to get annoying."
    Taleira takes a moment to think about the statue's demands. It's apparently not appeased by quantity, given the result of Peridot's spell, so she looks around the room and at the statue to see if there's any sort of hint.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive: [roll]1d20+1[/roll]
    Spot: (1d20+8)[22]
    Search: (1d20+1)[16]
    Last edited by Telasi; 2011-03-28 at 07:02 PM.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

3. - Top - End - #123

"What in Daystor for?" retorted Melinda. "You're just a statue. You never leave this plane. There's not even a marketplace in this dungeon!" She held her hands out in protest. "You can't spend the money, and if you're not going to give it to someone else who can, then it's useless. Give me your word in the names of all the gods who are watching us right now that you'll give it all to real people who need it," and she was speaking from the heart here, "people who actually have the -right- to be holding begging bowls, and you can have all these little shiny piles here. All of them." I can't believe I'm lecturing a statue about the merits of taking my money. She gave the statue an ominous and reproachful glare. "Or..." and like a mother threatening to discipline a child, she started scooping the coins off the dais into her hands again, pile by pile by pile...
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Lystara's attempt to move the bowl meets with no success, and when she goes to move the statue, she finds that while she cannot lift it off the dais, she can turn it on its base.
    HEY, HEY, DONT HANDLE THE MATERIAL!
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

LILDORRINENE returns to sight (and corporeality). "Dot, good suggestion. Interesting concept, Lystara. Let's take a look at the base again now that you've moved it." She searches the area around the base (and the base itself)....
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll let you roll it. She has Search +16, but +18 w/ secret doors (she happens to be a solid engineer). Anyone can probably Aid her, though honestly from the description I doubt anymore than one person can help.

Also, please see Skill Usages in Complete Adventurer concerning Aid. A 20+ result on the Aiding party offers a +3 to the total of the primary skill user. A 30+ offers +4, etc.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-03-28 at 08:55 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

6. - Top - End - #126

"Careful, ladies," requested Melinda with a newfound smirk on her face. "Please don't trigger a trap before I'm done with these piles, that would be such a shame." With the statue's non-response to her taunt, she was picking up the pace of her cleanup job, and was more than halfway around the dais already.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot shrugs, clearly growing impatient.

"Oh just go ahead and turn the statue, maybe pointing it towards some kind of gold object?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #128

LILDORRINENE

Lildorrinene says, "Nothing says that it wants the gold to be burned up. In fact, we only assume it had to be an offering to be placed on the brazier. Let's try this..."

She takes out a single gold coin, and nestles it at the foot of the statue, trying to keep it so the idol has constant 'contact' with it, but it doesn't fall into the brazier.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Szer Elem

Szer stands by, watching the others as they try diverse tricks to pass by the statue. She shrugs, takes out all the gold she has left and puts it into the brazier. Stepping back, she moves to stand right next to Pauline: "I don't think this is anything alse but staightforward. Give it all the gold you have and be done with it. I might be wrong though."
    Act well before thinking!

10. - Top - End - #130

"Right you may yet be," parried Melinda, "but I'm pretty sure giving money away as opposed to spending it is a heresy in my church." With an annoyed grin she scooped up the last pile of her platinum and squirreled it away into her bag. "As I said before, that statue's not getting a copper from me if I can't trust it. And so far it's shown all the good judgment of a cat."

After watching Dot, Taleira and Lil get going on the statue's end of things, Melinda decided she was going to take a closer look at that brazier. They'd all seen magical fire consume the gold, but what if that was just an a illusion? She rolled up her sleeves and slowly pushed her hand closer and closer into the fire to see if the heat was real.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Elisa

'One moment...' Elisa moved to the door and examined it in greater detail

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe the knob's made out of gold. Maybe I can see gold through the keyhole. Who knows?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Dot shrugs, clearly growing impatient.

"Oh just go ahead and turn the statue, maybe pointing it towards some kind of gold object?"
    There is no other object in the room, the only thing is the door...and no, its not gold

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    LILDORRINENE

Lildorrinene says, "Nothing says that it wants the gold to be burned up. In fact, we only assume it had to be an offering to be placed on the brazier. Let's try this..."

She takes out a single gold coin, and nestles it at the foot of the statue, trying to keep it so the idol has constant 'contact' with it, but it doesn't fall into the brazier.
    The idol says I WANT GOLD. AND PUT THE GOLD IN THE BRAZIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    "Right you may yet be," parried Melinda, "but I'm pretty sure giving money away as opposed to spending it is a heresy in my church." With an annoyed grin she scooped up the last pile of her platinum and squirreled it away into her bag. "As I said before, that statue's not getting a copper from me if I can't trust it. And so far it's shown all the good judgment of a cat."

After watching Dot, Taleira and Lil get going on the statue's end of things, Melinda decided she was going to take a closer look at that brazier. They'd all seen magical fire consume the gold, but what if that was just an a illusion? She rolled up her sleeves and slowly pushed her hand closer and closer into the fire to see if the heat was real.
    The closer Melinda's hand gets to the fire, the more and more she feels the heat. She doesnt see what is burning in the brazier, but whatever is powering the fire, it makes it HOT.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Lystara

"It's looking at the brazier... the brazier is on fire... it wants the gold in the brazier... But we can turn the idol... and therefore where it looks..." Thinking aloud, the Idol's whining was starting to get to her.

"I'll 'handle the material' anyway I want, thank you very much!" She looks back to the others. "I'll give it a good turn, it may be best to put some distance between yourself and the idol, just in case something else starts burning." Her warning in the air, she'll turn the idol 90 degrees once anyone who wants to get out of the way has a chance to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming the Brazier is South and the door is North, she'll try to turn the Idol so that it is looking East.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

The idol is easy to turn for Lystara, and she can easily get it to face to the east.

HEY...STOP IT...WHAT ARE YOU DOING, STUPID WOMAN...I WANT GOLD, NOT SOME SORT OF TURNING GAME...GET OFF ME, YOU SILLY COW...I WANT GOLD.

Unfortunately, the door is still stuck solid.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Hmm..." ponders Arcaneus. "Perhaps more?" Arcaneus turns it another 90 degrees. If that doesn't open the door, he'll turn it another 90 degrees. If that doesn't open the door, he'll turn it back to starting position.
    Sweet avatar of Gikalek by KaptainKrutch.

Now running The Goramitar Games
    IC|OOC

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Simba View Post
    Szer Elem

Szer stands by, watching the others as they try diverse tricks to pass by the statue. She shrugs, takes out all the gold she has left and puts it into the brazier. Stepping back, she moves to stand right next to Pauline: "I don't think this is anything alse but staightforward. Give it all the gold you have and be done with it. I might be wrong though."
    Pauline Blackstone

....hmm I have an idea.

Mr. Statue. What is your name?
    Awesome Avatar by Terry576

Large version:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thought of the Week: "If men were angels, no government would be necessary"

James Madison

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

When Arcaneus turns the idol the second 90 degrees, it is now facing the door. The door now opens easily with a push, elicting a wail of dismay from the idol. As the party files out of the room, it calls after them with despair.

NO WAIT I STILL HAVE VALUABLE INFORMATION I CAN STILL HELP YOU YOU NEED ME I KNOW THINGS I WANT GOLD...

The voice fades behind you as you walk on. The corrider goes for another 40 ft in the same direction, and ends with a door.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #138

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    When Arcaneus turns the idol the second 90 degrees, it is now facing the door. The door now opens easily with a push, elicting a wail of dismay from the idol. As the party files out of the room, it calls after them with despair.

NO WAIT I STILL HAVE VALUABLE INFORMATION I CAN STILL HELP YOU YOU NEED ME I KNOW THINGS I WANT GOLD...

The voice fades behind you as you walk on. The corrider goes for another 40 ft in the same direction, and ends with a door.
    Pauline Blackstone

aww I wanted to know his name. *pout*

Large version:
    Spoiler
    Show

James Madison

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot grimaces. So that's the way it was going to be.

Slipping cautiously forward along the wall, she looked for signs of further silliness in the passageway, and then at the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Searching the passage for traps or other weirdness. Arcane Sight is still active, so she automatically sees all magic auras. Blindsense is also active.
    Search: (1d20+27)[32]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+26)[41]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

20. - Top - End - #140

Melinda was last out of the room. "You have useful information? You?" She shot the statue a glare. "Ha! Prove it," she challenged. Looking ahead, Melinda knew she was useless against a locked door, but she might still be able to wheedle something out of the statue if it had anything real to offer. "Show me you can perceive anything beyond this room. Show me where one of the other teams is."

21. - Top - End - #141

As the party exits the room, Arcaneus casts Decoy Image to project an image of the party walking ten feet further up the hallway, hoping to flush out any possible ambushes.
    Sweet avatar of Gikalek by KaptainKrutch.

Now running The Goramitar Games
    IC|OOC

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Elisa

She smiled in a strained way as the riddle revealed itself 'A fine start... One can't help but wonder where all that money went.'

As Elisa rushes down the corridor with the others she sets her defences in place.

With them in place she places an invisible hand upon the doorknob. She cautioned the others to step back as she sent out her other senses, seeking any intelligence behind the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using telepathy to sense any minds inside. Assuming none she opens the door.

Persist greater invis.
    Hand of Divinity (Arcaneus)
    Bear’s Endurance, Mass (Everyone)

Self buffs: Visage of the deity (Good)
    Greater invisibility
    Anticipate teleport
    Mirror Image
    Superior Resistance
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post
    Elisa

She smiled in a strained way as the riddle revealed itself 'A fine start... One can't help but wonder where all that money went.'

As Elisa rushes down the corridor with the others she sets her defences in place.

With them in place she places an invisible hand upon the doorknob. She cautioned the others to step back as she sent out her other senses, seeking any intelligence behind the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using telepathy to sense any minds inside. Assuming none she opens the door.

Persist greater invis.
    Hand of Divinity (Arcaneus)
    Bear’s Endurance, Mass (Everyone)

Self buffs: Visage of the deity (Good)
    Greater invisibility
    Anticipate teleport
    Mirror Image
    Superior Resistance
    WAIT! uhhh I can cast bear's endurance and bull's strength for everyone...just saying.

Large version:
    Spoiler
    Show

James Madison

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I expect we'll be here for more than 15 minutes so a backup mass bear's endurance is handy. Speaking only for Elisa I can live without bull's strength, mayhap the others feel differently.

Also nobody claimed those two superior resistances.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

LILDORRINENE is willing to take a superior resistance if it is available. She takes her gold coin before leaving. She will place herself in the middle of the party.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2011-03-30 at 12:46 AM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Szer Elem

"I would be thankful for that superior resistance spell."

Szer takes position at the end of the first third of the group, bow in hand and an arrow on the string. She holds the bow and arrow in one hand.

Spoiler
    Show

Superior resistance claimed :)
    Also, Szer would like that bull's strength, but maybe casting it later makes more sense as it doesn't last long.

27. - Top - End - #147

Default Lia Naida

Standing a little behind the others, Lia unobtrusively casts a gamut of protective spells and then walks alongside Melinda as the other woman leaves her parting comments with the annoying idol.

[DC40 Spot check to notice Lia casting (Sleight of hand skill mastery)]

Spells & Effects
    Spoiler
    Show
    Effects active
    • Disguise (w/ help from Lil): (1d20+24)[43] (mundane disguise - same as previous night)

Spells active
    • Detect thoughts (DC27) [< 15 min]
    • Freedom of movement [150 min]
    • Glibness [150 min]
    • Locate creature (Captain of the Rohdan team) [150 min]
    • Magic Aura (on every piece of magical equipment) [14 days - cast previous day]
    • Misdirection (aura detected as if she was mirror) [15 hours]
    • See invisibility [150 min]

Spells remaining: 6|8/6/7/6/7/7/4

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Szer Elem

Szer looks back at the group, asking: "Who would mind having a Holy Aura when in combat? I would not want to ruin anyone's plans, bt it really helps in a scrap. Let me know if you want to be left out of it, ok?"

Spoiler
    Show

Holy Aura, as per the spell, for 15 rounds of combat.
    Effects:
    One subject per level within a 20’ radius Burst of the caster gains a radiance, which provides the following:
    a) +4 Deflection bonus to AC.
    b) +4 Resistance bonus to saving throws.
    c) Spell Resistance 25 against Evil spells & spells cast by Evil creatures.
    d) Blocks any mind control.
    e) If an Evil creatures successfully hits someone with the aura in melee, the
    attacker becomes permanently Blind (FortNeg).
    Last edited by Simba; 2011-03-30 at 06:45 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by Simba View Post
    Szer Elem

Szer looks back at the group, asking: "Who would mind having a Holy Aura when in combat? I would not want to ruin anyone's plans, bt it really helps in a scrap. Let me know if you want to be left out of it, ok?"
    Lildorrinene wouldn't mind holy aura, once it is explained to her. She is amused that the powers of good can protect her - a creature whose very physical essence is evil - without harming her, and being decently powerful against evil.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Lystara

Smiling at Melinda's display, Lystara gets going. "The aura would be useful Szer, thank you."

Once Arcaneus's Decoy moves, assuming it doesn't run into anything, Lystara will advance as well. She'll stand as close to Elisa as is reasonable while she checks the door, and prepares herself as she opens the door. Her shield begins to float before her, she tightens the grip on her sword and is bathed in a dim light briefly, as she prays for divine vigor.

Spoiler
    Show
    From My understanding these are her current buffs:

Superior Resistance from Dot
    Resistance to Acid/Sonic from Dot
    Bear's Endurance from Elisa

Divine Vigor (+10 Speed, +30 THP) for 8 Minutes