New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Florida school system. Time to abandon my teaching degree?

Like the school system wasn't bad and broke enough as is, and a teacher's salary was never the reason teachers became teachers, but with the latest laws being put into place and the new cuts I am thinking I should get out before it is too late.

Thoughts on this? Any teachers in the playground with advice?

I am three classes from my AA, but am worried it was all for not. While I did not care about having a teacher's salary I will not take a second job just to be able to do a profession, even if I ended up enjoying it as much as I believe I would have.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Florida school system. Time to abandon my teaching degree?

Teaching is a calling, if you think you'd actually enjoy it and have put considerable effort into becoming one thus far, then I think maybe you owe it to yourself (and the kids) to stick it out? I don't know how I feel about telling someone to get into a job where they need a second job just to get by but at the same time, our kids really need all the qualified teachers they can get. Enough of them slip through the cracks without losing good people to teach 'em, you know?
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I know what you mean.

I had to teach MYSELF how to read and write at 8th/9th grade from a book I found (the hero became my legal namesake years later ). Hence why I want to help prevent it happening to others if at all possible. I can't save them all, but if I can save one or a few boy that would be nice.

It is just that, geez, teachers, firemen, and policemen are the true heroes of our society (not the pop-stars and such!), but it is ridiculous how bad the government is hitting the school system and teachers. If it was just me I could take it, but I want a wife and kids, so I can not risk them.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

The Rainbow Mod: The subject of this thread is too political by nature, and thus, by forum rules, shouldn't be discussed here.
    Thread locked.
    LGBT in the playground - banner by Doihaveaname?.
    Thanks to Ceika, Dihan, Happy Turtle, Reicaden and Haruki for the avatars.