New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Who's played Dark Heresy?

And if so, is it a good system? My FLGS has a few copies, and I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to pick it up?
    Before you ask, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Who's played Dark Heresy?

Quote Originally Posted by PhallicWarrior View Post
    And if so, is it a good system? My FLGS has a few copies, and I was wondering if it'd be a good idea to pick it up?
    I've been playing it for a while now, and I also had no prior knowledge of the Warhammer universe.
    It is a pretty harsh system, combat is tough, and injuries frequent. It is a ton of fun to play though. I like the % dice rolls, though they can be all over the place, it brings much more randomness than the d20 systems.

Also the way you level is by spending exp to gain abilities, talents and skills, interesting stuff there too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Fantastic system to play around with, just don't treat it like dnd. Its broken into 3 aspects, investigation, horror and action. Combat is very dangerous and low level Dark Heresy characters are more likely to fail at anything they try (even at max level they have a chance of failure). Characters are weak, unskilled, and have no money against all the genetic super soldiers, traitors and horrors the warp has to throw at you.

I enjoy it but its definitely not for , I would recommend you get the premade adventure (i think its free on their website) and have a play around with it. Its not a complete representation of the game but not a bad look at the system.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Pick up "Eisenhorn" by Dan Abnett at your local bookstore first. Its a collection of books about an Inquisitor and his Acolytes. If you don't know anything about Dark Heresy or Warhammer 40,000, then you need to read that book. It pretty much explains everything you'll need to know - how the 40K setting works, what sort of experiences you can expect as a player, and plenty of plot ideas and examples as a GM.

Dark Heresy is a fun system, but you need to know what you're getting into first. It took me awhile to get the hang of the setting and system. If I'd read Eisenhorn first, I'd have gotten accommodated to the game much faster... Plus, its an amazing collection of stories.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGuy

Then there's the other Inquisition series, Ravenor, by the same author.

As for the system, it requires some houseruling, since a lot of things in it are broken, or simply don't make any sense (some of the errors and ambiguities have been corrected in the errata, which is available online, but some problems remain). On the other hand, the system itself is fairly simple, and it's very difficult to "screw up" a character build, since you cay always purchase the skills, talents and characteristic increases you need later.
    LGBTitP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Its a Fantastic system - combat is dangerous as it should be, not the mass of ablative HP that D&D typically have and you will want to pick your fights and make sure you have the advantage where possible.

You get to play with a interesting mix of classes that you can adapt somewhat to practically what ever you want to play.

Just don't mess with Valkyrie Dropships...
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Psykers are ridiculously broken; tolerable at lower ranks, 3.5 Wizard overpowered at higher ones. Otherwise a great, if unforgiving system.

And yes, constant failure is ubiquitous at the lower ranks.

8. - Top - End - #8

Very enjoyable system, but keep an open mind as a GM to bend the rules. This kind of system is very easy to tweak here and there as you see fit to satisfy your player's desires, as long as you are reasonnable about it.

I had 2 house rules:

1- No limit on modifiers to roll. So you could end up with +120% on your Ballistic Roll check if you surprised the ennemy, aimed for 2 rounds, had a Supreme Sniper Rifle, etc.. etc...

2- In order to make rolling still relevant after rule 1, I made the combat more lethal. For every 20% below your success rate, you can roll another die for damage, but you keep the best. So if you roll 21% below the required WS check, you roll 1 more D10, and you keep the best.

If you roll 41% below, you roll 3d10, and you keep the best.

etc.. etc... that could mount up to very, very, very lethal combat very quickly, since Righetous Fury would keep these bonus dice.

Made combat quicker, messier, and my players would be careful about tactical advantages at all time, 'cause that +20% modifier made all the difference.

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

How did you reconcile that with the updated Accurate weapon property? While using Basic Accurate weapons, after taking an Aim half- or full action, you gain an additional 1d10 to damage per 2 degrees of success, up to two dice; these don't count towards RF.
    LGBTitP

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by MickJay View Post
    How did you reconcile that with the updated Accurate weapon property? While using Basic Accurate weapons, after taking an Aim half- or full action, you gain an additional 1d10 to damage per 2 degrees of success, up to two dice; these don't count towards RF.
    these additional 1d10 of damage are in addition, right?

The d10s I throw I merely substitutes. You have the basic D10 to throw, with the extra you gain from rolling good.

And then you roll the extra d10.

A player came up to me asking what to do for the shotgun, as they already had the rule about "an extra d10 for every 20% of success, take the best". I simply ruled that, combined, it meant an extra d10 for every 10% of success, take the best.

Yes, sneak-attack-shotguns are powerful. They are meant to be

And then the same player came up to me what's gonna happen for an auto-shotgun. I walloped him in the face.

11. - Top - End - #11

Daemon

Its the only system I play. I have yet to find anything severly wrong with it. Every class has its place and every skill has its use. The game depends far more on the GM doing a good job since the setting is crucial to how alot of the mechanics work.

EDIT:
    Dont play ascension most if not all issues are solved just by avoiding that suppliment.
    Last edited by profitofrage; 2011-03-19 at 07:07 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

My 2 thrones:

The system is crud, without gaming the system your character is crud.

That said of the 3 big flag ship titles, Deathwatch is the worst of them.
    Not because your space marines, which are FRIKKEN awesome,
    but because your, well, a deathwatch kill team.
    Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this. Go here, kill that. Go there, kill this...................................

This is all you do. Ever. If you do anything else, you are drifting away from what a Kill team does.

The best one? Rouge Trader. Why? Because you can do... ANYTHING. Everything is fair game, and no one can (legally) stop you. It is freedom personified.
    The official song of Rouge Trader:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    without gaming the system your character is crud.
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only people who actually get hurt when you shoot them, instead of taking a 1d6 damage scratch.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sarco_Phage View Post
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only people who actually get hurt when you shoot them, instead of taking a 1d6 damage scratch.
    Getting hurt? That is the LEAST if my problems.

Oh no, in the Grim Dark blah blah blah, there are horribly incompetent people how have no business holding the business end of lasgun. Or is it lasrifle? I forget which.

Anyways, a 40% hit rate is a horribly incompetent solider with no business on the battlefield, let alone an Inquisitor's Retinue. Christ, even Star Wars stormtroopers have a better hit rate (though, not by much).

At least the Adepts have a reason to be physically and schoalstically incompetent, a Guardsman doesn't.

Psykers may explode at any moment or if they are lucky, only summon a demon.

Scum at least have a reason to suck (they are Scum. Duh.) Though they come from such a crappy background, why play one?

Assassins are right scary in melee. Huh, melee in a game with deadly firearms? Who woulda thunk it.

And don't get me started on the frikken admech boys. Everyone else is a squishy meat bag, and you have frikken robocop. Wut?
    Last edited by Slade; 2011-04-10 at 06:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Dude, if you wanted a game with reliable shootyness, why are you playing a 40k game?

This is the setting that gave us the quotation, "DRIVE ME CLOSER, I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD!"
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dude, if you wanted a game with reliable shootyness, why are you playing a 40k game?

This is the setting that gave us the quotation, "DRIVE ME CLOSER, I WANT TO HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD!"
    Oh god, my sides, they hurt from laughing so much. Commisar Dan is my hero.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Indeed...in Dark Heresy, of course you suck. You suck slightly less than the shmucks who weren't picked by an Inquisitor to be their lackeys, but you still suck. Rogue Traders are rich, so they can hire the people who suck even less than the Throne Acolytes (but they still suck, because they're humans in 40K). Space Marines hit things and kill them, and definitely do not suck...but you don't like Deathwatch because it involves hitting and killing things. Wut.

18. - Top - End - #18

Yeah, sucking is a very big part of DH. That's why one of the things I loved about Blood of Martyrs was that they included a named Lord of Change with all the stats.

I looked at the profile for a second and started laughing. A single Khornate Bloodletter and his sucky cultists makes for a very fighty boss battle.

A Lord of Change, well, that's just silly. Something like that will literally end your characters before you can hit him.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Pick up "Eisenhorn" by Dan Abnett at your local bookstore first. Its a collection of books about an Inquisitor and his Acolytes. If you don't know anything about Dark Heresy or Warhammer 40,000, then you need to read that book. It pretty much explains everything you'll need to know - how the 40K setting works, what sort of experiences you can expect as a player, and plenty of plot ideas and examples as a GM.

Dark Heresy is a fun system, but you need to know what you're getting into first. It took me awhile to get the hang of the setting and system. If I'd read Eisenhorn first, I'd have gotten accommodated to the game much faster... Plus, its an amazing collection of stories.
    There's also the "official" Dark Heresy trilogy (third book isn't out yet) by Sandy Mitchell, starting with Scourge the Heretic. They're pretty entertaining, but not as good as Eisonhorn and Ravenor.

But, yes, Dark Heresy is great. Great use of the setting, fun combat, and really awesome critical tables.

Oh, and if the psyker tries to use their powers, shoot them. It's for your own good.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Space Marines hit things and kill them, and definitely do not suck...but you don't like Deathwatch because it involves hitting and killing things. Wut.
    You misunderstand. Space Marines hit and kill thigns... AND NOTHING ELSE. No RP, no schemeing, no nothing. You just kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill......

And do nothing else. Whatsoever. That might make for wonderful rts or fps or even a board game or table top game (cough cough)... but an RPG? No thanks. Give me a rouge trader any day.
    Last edited by Slade; 2011-04-10 at 06:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, sucking is a very big part of DH. That's why one of the things I loved about Blood of Martyrs was that they included a named Lord of Change with all the stats.

I looked at the profile for a second and started laughing. A single Khornate Bloodletter and his sucky cultists makes for a very fighty boss battle.

A Lord of Change, well, that's just silly. Something like that will literally end your characters before you can hit him.
    Unless of course you're a pimped out Ascension Psyker, in which case you will kill the Lord of Change several times over before he even gets a chance to act.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    Unless of course you're a pimped out Ascension Psyker, in which case you will kill the Lord of Change several times over before he even gets a chance to act.
    Naturally.

I think the Sisters can also do some heavy damage with the anti-corruption faith power.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Naturally.

I think the Sisters can also do some heavy damage with the anti-corruption faith power.
    I remeber the sisters. We had pc one in the group and she was pretty cool. Their faith powers are pretty cool without being op.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

You misunderstand. Space Marines hit and kill thigns... AND NOTHING ELSE. No RP, no schemeing, no nothing. You just kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill......

And do nothing else. Whatsoever. That might make for wonderful rts or fps or even a board game or table top game (cough cough)... but an RPG? No thanks. Give me a rouge trader any day.
    No RP? You're playing with the wrong DW group; half of our sessions are RP without any dice being thrown. Particularly with a Black Templar, a Librarian, a Dark Angel, and a Space Wolf working together - half of TEP1 was diplomacy, bargaining, and showing off to the locals (the rest was murderizing genestealers and wrestling tyrannosaurs naked).

No scheming? Only if you mean interparty scheming...our group ended part 1 of The Emperor Protects by basically flat-out lying to the Imperial Guard and saying Aurum needed to be quarantined by Space Marines for a bit of time; we did so to buy our Black Templar time to send back to his Chapter that our kill-team had found a planet chock full of utter badasses who were perfect Space Marine recruits, and totally wasted in the Guard ranks.

No nothing?...see 1 and 2. Deathwatch Marines roflstomp anything that isn't as awesome as they are, and usually even then, but the game has plenty of room for noncombat activities even if you choose not to make use of them.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2011-04-10 at 07:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    The whole point of a Lord of Change is that he has plans...plans that crap over your plans...Plans that cause your puny psyker to walk into the room with his 30+ initiative only to use it to see a small rat scurry past and knaw on a trip wire...that causes a series of dominos to fall down...that cause a ball to roll..that defies gravity and rolls along the gutters in the cieling...which knocks over an exact replica of the psyker made of wood, which falls and pokes him in the eye. Giving the lord of change just enough time to trick the ships in orbit to fire on his position....yes....all according to plan...
    Last edited by profitofrage; 2011-04-10 at 09:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Which reminds me, are there stats for any of the other Greater Daemons? I'd think the Bloodthirster would be even more of a horrid fight.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

27. - Top - End - #27

Daemon

Not as of yet, though I do hope that if they were to go into that they do it much better then they have already. The Lord of Change they did stat...in my opinion is horribly inappropriete. DH, RT and DW have always been about keeping closer to fluff then the boardgame..and I do not see at all that the Lord of Change in acsension matches the fluff. This beast should be capable of tearing open Dreadnaughts...causing whole worlds to burn....I doubt very much that it would have such a small willpower.
    Theres also the point that ascension is a broken and generally horrible game because they think psykers should become alpha grade the second they level up..so that might have something to do with it.

28. - Top - End - #28

Isn't the Lord of Change from BoM? The named one, Marabas. I don't remember one in Ascension.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Anyways, a 40% hit rate is a horribly incompetent solider with no business on the battlefield, let alone an Inquisitor's Retinue. Christ, even Star Wars stormtroopers have a better hit rate (though, not by much).
    I'm pretty sure that's actually well above the documented hit rate for people engaged in a real gun battle.

30. - Top - End - #30

Not to mention that the average Ork's hit to bullet ratio is approximately 1:100.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate