New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Default Hand-written? Really?

I have a question for you guys. Do you ever get asked to turn in a hand-written research, essay, or other written paper?

My teacher just asked us to. Everyone was very confused. Even before computers college students were expected to turn in assignments done by typewriter, or so my parents lead me to believe.

We were... confused. I wondered if I'd just traveled back in time without noticing. Usually, we don't turn in hand-written assignments because nothing says "done 5 minutes before class" like a hand-written assignment.

Do you guys get asked to turn in hand-written assignments? Because I haven't since fifth grade.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Hand-written? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    I have a question for you guys. Do you ever get asked to turn in a hand-written research, essay, or other written paper?

My teacher just asked us to. Everyone was very confused. Even before computers college students were expected to turn in assignments done by typewriter, or so my parents lead me to believe.

We were... confused. I wondered if I'd just traveled back in time without noticing. Usually, we don't turn in hand-written assignments because nothing says "done 5 minutes before class" like a hand-written assignment.

Do you guys get asked to turn in hand-written assignments? Because I haven't since fifth grade.
    Nope. Drafts could be handwritten but the paper itself had to be typed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

3. - Top - End - #3

I don't even turn drafts in hand-written.

Although the aforementioned fifth grade teacher had a weird policy: Drafts may be done in computer but the final paper has to be hand-written in ink and cursive.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

A friend turns in hand-written essays for his Chinese class (written in Chinese), but that's it Usually my teachers prefer typed essays because they're easier to read than students' handwritings.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

There is only one reason I can think of asking for hardcopies in the first place, let alone hand-written ones: you don't have a Turnitin account. Hand-written copies mean that even if it is word-for-word plagiarism, the person who wrote it put effort into reading the source material and putting it to paper, which is slightly better than direct C&V.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm guessing this teacher just wants student to practice hand writting, as it is a skill that is losing ground, in this computer age.

It is still quite weird though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

You obviously have people in your class who can write magnificent papers, maybe your teacher is looking to deduct points based on handwriting.
    Of course, this is me thinking out loud.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

What year is this in in school?

And no, that's ridiculous. You're being required to handwrite a paper? Really?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Never heard of such a thing on the college level. The only handwritten work my professors ever received were from in-class tests, and I graduated eight years ago. Good thing for me, since my handwriting is just a couple steps up from chicken scratches anyway.

By the way, by not requiring the computer file, your professor is making it much easier for the students to commit plagiarism. In order for him to check any hardcopy, he either has to know the original paper in question, or re-type the papers into a plagiarism-checker.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The police suspects that in your classroom is hiding a dangerous criminal, and they need a handwriting comparison, without alarming the suspect; your teacher is working with them.

OK, maybe not.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Slightly on topic...I heard something disturbing a few months ago. Apparently schools here are discontinuing the teaching of cursive writing. Print will be the only method of hand writing taught, and cursive will be an elective additional assignment to be learned on ones own time.

Crazy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I left school some 23 years ago now and I don't recall ever having to turn in homework typewritten, to be honest--it was always handwritten! University was a slightly different matter, and believe me, it's a royal pain in the whatevers to type up a multiple-page report on a typewriter that has a random tendency to insert a space after every "e"...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I never liked cursive writing. I never remembered all my capitals. I know the lower case but not all the capital cursives.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

In IB, you have to learn how to do Hand-written assignments, because your English and History exams, at least, involve essays written in-class, as the exam. So we've been practicing by writing all our essays in a time limit, exam-like situation.

It's going to be insane.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Quick question: All you guys keep mentioning "Cursive" handwriting. I'm guessing it's the same as "Joined-up handwriting"?
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Quick question: All you guys keep mentioning "Cursive" handwriting. I'm guessing it's the same as "Joined-up handwriting"?
    Yeah, exactly the same. Personally, I'm glad it's dying. They tried teaching it to us in the third grade and gave up half-way through. Never mentioned it again, mainly because after that we were supposed to turn in papers printed off anyway.

Speaking of which, I had one bright-idea'd, first-year professor who decided she wanted everyone to turn things in handwritten. Didn't last long. I've been told before that I have the most horrible handwriting; not only is it chicken scratch, but I apparently write "too small" anyway. Must've driven the poor girl to tears trying to read it.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by shiram View Post
    I'm guessing this teacher just wants student to practice hand writting, as it is a skill that is losing ground, in this computer age.

It is still quite weird though.
    But it's SOUND class.

Quote Originally Posted by OverThoughtName View Post
    Yeah, exactly the same. Personally, I'm glad it's dying. They tried teaching it to us in the third grade and gave up half-way through. Never mentioned it again, mainly because after that we were supposed to turn in papers printed off anyway.
    I learned to write in cursive.... and then I was eventually told no one uses it. <.<

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Huh, that's weird. The teacher didn't give any explanation as to why?

I wouldn't dare think of producing papers by hand and with my awful handwriting it isn't exactly a good idea either. It's probably best to space out your work on the assignment, lest you end up with a wrist that really hurts.

19. - Top - End - #19

Yes, a required handwritten assignment is very weird. I get them every so often from tests and the like, but my teachers never specifically ask for a complete 100% handwritten essay. I feel sorry for your teachers if your handwriting is anything but legible.

As for the other topic that has manifested itself in this thread. I actually prefer to write in cursive. It's faster for me and it's more legible than any print of mine. I'm actually kind of sad that it's dying. There are way too many important things written in cursive to simply stop teaching it. (The original copy of the U.S. Constitution, for example, is one of these.)
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OverThoughtName View Post
    Yeah, exactly the same. Personally, I'm glad it's dying. They tried teaching it to us in the third grade and gave up half-way through.
    I agree. Not only is it needlessly more difficult to learn how to use it, no one uses it for anything but signatures, and even if you do write in cursive no one can freaking read it. Seriously, I've never seen anyone's cursive that was legible to any real degree.

Death to cursive!
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    I agree. Not only is it needlessly more difficult to learn how to use it, no one uses it for anything but signatures, and even if you do write in cursive no one can freaking read it. Seriously, I've never seen anyone's cursive that was legible to any real degree.

Death to cursive!
    Really? It's so much prettier, though, and it's way easier to right, much easier on your hand if you have to write for long periods of time. It's simply illegible because we're not TAUGHT to read it, we're never given practice READING cursive, only WRITING it.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    much easier on your hand if you have to write for long periods of time. It's simply illegible because we're not TAUGHT to read it, we're never given practice READING cursive, only WRITING it.
    I have to disagree. I've written out a 90,000 word novel longhand before typing it up on the computer, and it never would have been finished if I'd attempted doing it in cursive. My cursive is pretty much illegible to everybody, including myself. The only time my wrists hurt after writing were when I didn't hold my elbow correctly; printing had nothing to do with it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

You crazy people and your hating on cursive. Cursive (when done right, anyway) is faster, easier, and way prettier to look at. Granted, you basically have to learn to write in an entirely new way to do it, and so many forms ask for printed words anyway, but... Ew, blocky letters.
    My forum avatars appear to have decomposed in my absence. C'est la vie.
    Homebrewer's Signature
    If you use any of my homebrew, or even if you just have a strong opinion on it, please let me know. Feedback is always useful.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

I learned joined-up (or cursive, I guess) writing when I was younger. Then I moved to secondary school and figured that, since it was a fresh start, I'd write the way I like to write.
    Happy to say I've never joined up a letter since then.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

@OP, My mom's a teacher and has a few reasons why you would have a handwritten paper:
    1: Can you recognize misspelled words without using a spell check? (Guess how many times I had to use the spell check while my mom was dictating?)
    2: Do you know punctuation without auto-correct?
    3: Since handwriting tends to be slower than typing, you have more time to carefully construct your sentences.
    4: No cut and paste to write a report.
    5: Believe it or not, there might be a situation where you don't have electricity or technology to write something down.

Also, @ some of the posts about cursive, often it's better/more professional to write in cursive when signing your signature.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

@OP: Only time I had to turn in a handwritten paper was during a Blue Book test. We all know how much of a pain fun those are, right?

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Jarian View Post
    You crazy people and your hating on cursive. Cursive (when done right, anyway) is faster, easier, and way prettier to look at. Granted, you basically have to learn to write in an entirely new way to do it, and so many forms ask for printed words anyway, but... Ew, blocky letters.
    I do like Cursive, actually. The problem is I don't like handwriting. Mine is awful. Looks like chicken scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    @OP, My mom's a teacher and has a few reasons why you would have a handwritten paper:
    OK, let's see....

1: Can you recognize misspelled words without using a spell check? (Guess how many times I had to use the spell check while my mom was dictating?)
    Hmmm... I think most of the time I can. I hate that about my classmates, though. They tend to write papers as if they were chatting on Messenger. I live in Mexico and as you may know, Spanish words tend to have the tilde (México, for instance) on vowels. Problem is peopleare lazy and assume it's boring or annoying to add it. It's PROPPER GRAMMAR, people! Not to mention that when you ask a question in Spanish the sentence starts with "¿", as opposed to "?" only in English. But people think "huh, waste of a key stroke".

2: Do you know punctuation without auto-correct?
    Gawd, yes. See above. Even when typing on Messenger I don't write "lol wut u doin 2nite?". I like commas. And periods.

3: Since handwriting tends to be slower than typing, you have more time to carefully construct your sentences.
    I guess?

4: No cut and paste to write a report.
    Fair point.

5: Believe it or not, there might be a situation where you don't have electricity or technology to write something down.
    Er.... well, yes, but, see.... I'm a Digital Arts Major. If I find myself in a situation where I don't have electricity or technology, I am, in fact, completely screwed.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2011-03-17 at 05:21 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

When I was in college, it seemed like each of my courses would bounce back and forth -- one wanted handprinted, the next wanted typing, the next printed... etc.

I don't really see what's so weird about it. It's just a personal preference for some. The only problem is that some people write like they have three claws instead of a human hand, but if you're good at deciphering it... *shrug*

Edit: I don't think the above five items were specifically directed at you, but at the population at large. It makes it harder to rely on spellcheck for people that use it way too much, etc.
    Last edited by onthetown; 2011-03-17 at 05:25 PM.
    The poster formerly known as Riyoukaze.
    I am agile, like orange.
    onthetown

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Stuff done in class, and that's it. I don't think I've ever taken home an assignment meant to be longer then a page that was suppose to be hand-written.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

30. - Top - End - #30

Ahh its spanish, that makes things make a lot more sense. I know some Spanish and whenever I type something up in Spanish I very rarely use accents(at least that's what we call them). Mainly becuase adding them in Word not designed to type in Spanish takes way too long.