New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default El Goonish Shive

Historically, such threads have not gone well for EGS. But, presuming I haven't missed any... third time's the charm?

Owing to excesses of exhaustion and sloth, I'll just copy and paste a description from the New Readers page:
    "A strange comic about a group of teenagers and the bizarre, often supernatural, situations that they face. Includes a continuing storyline with non-linear joke comics on the side. WARNING: Often ignores the laws of Physics."

... Okay, it's not wrong, but man is it incomplete... Hm. I'll just throw out some words to elaborate. Typically comedic. Thoughtful. Relatively Common shape-shifting incidence. Likable cast. ... Deliberately paced (usually) .

The comic is here.

The last thread died just before Bringing Silly Back got rolling. So, about a year into that, how do things seem to be going? I know I'm enjoying myself.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive

I don't quite understand why EGS threads don't tend to crop up more often (or survive longer). Except for the long, dreadful absence of updates after the Birthday arc, it updates quite well, has an acceptable story and leaves a lot to talk about at least once a week. Not to mention that it has an acceptably large fanbase in GitP.

Anyway, what do you think Noah wants to talk to Justin about?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive

There's been EGS threads before and I didn't know about them? Blasphemy!

Tally ho, I think Noah wants to talk to him about the fight with the fire summony.

He doesn't know that Justin knows about magic so he is probably trying to stop Justin from saying something that could ruin the masquerade.

Seems like something Raven would have him do.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Glad I checked before making a new thread.

Love this comic. Don't really know what else to say. I've Read it twice and I just love it. I want to find an RPG sort of based off of the way things work in that world to play.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is a most terrible pun, and I am disappointed in Dan for writing that.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is a most awesome pun. And I am delighted by Dan for writing that.

8. - Top - End - #8

Horrible, yes. But just horrible enough to amuse me greatly.

As for what Noah wants to talk about, it could indeed be something Raven asked him to do. Justin's one of Raven's 'favorites,' so the teacher's likely been keeping a close eye on Justin's magical development. Perhaps the fight with the not-fire monster was a sign to him that Justin may be in a good position for an Awakening. It's also possible Noah's ridiculous physical aptitude is magically sourced, and he thinks Justin's displays are similar enough to benefit from discussion. Not that I expect that last one, if true, would be the only thing they discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    I want to find an RPG sort of based off of the way things work in that world to play.
    Yes. I would totally be on board with something like that, whether specifically an EGS RPG or something approximating the mechanics.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Glad I checked before making a new thread.

Love this comic. Don't really know what else to say. I've Read it twice and I just love it. I want to find an RPG sort of based off of the way things work in that world to play.
    That's what FFRPGs are for. ^_^

Seriously, there's a lot of Anime based FFRPGs here so why not one based on the most silly-awesome webcomic ever? It could even have a demonic duck quartet singing karaoke!

You know you want it.

Tally ho, I like the pun, it's adorably silly. X3
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

10. - Top - End - #10

Nice to see Raven again. Forgot how much I missed the snarky elf. I also like how he and Noah interact. Makes me believe more that Raven is Noah's guardian.

And point, Keveak. EGS would seem a good fit for a freeform game. I'd definitely be pleased if one came to be.
    Last edited by Gaius; 2011-03-23 at 02:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lets hope this one goes better than the thread I started.

Noah keeps being awesome. He needs to stop doing that if he doesn't want me to have a massive crush on him. The dangling from the ceiling like nothing much is happening is just kind of adorable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Any thoughts on what it was that Noah saw?
    once, we accepted that everything was the way it was, and that was enough for us. now, we question our own existance. clearly, we are approaching a problem. what if, in our quest to determine whether we are real, we find that we are not?

Avatar courtesy of Rae Artemi (thank You)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking it looked a lot like noah. Given his apparent magical predilections, connection to raven (and thus quite likely chaos) apparent need for EXTREME self control, the fact nobody else could see it, and the like... I was thinking an Enemy Within/Enemy Without.
    Last edited by golentan; 2011-03-24 at 11:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Huh. It's a very interesting theory, and I could certainly buy it. Today's comic could also support it, as Noah didn't detect anything else from the shade.

Though, by that point alone, it's also possible that was Chaos herself, or some work of hers (her magical power cannot be sensed, after all). Though the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Also, yes, Noah is rather adorable, particularly in these past two comics.

Ah, and from a few comics back when Noah first saw the shade. It's not on par with his 'deeds that should not be forgiven' face, but his expression and reaction on seeing it almost suggests something personal against monster-looking things. Perhaps something to do with his parents' deaths? Or, y'know, could just be general "Foul beast, I shall give you such a vanquishing!" response.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I still wonder why Noah thinks he has the power to knight someone. Is he some sort of prince of a magical kingdom? Mentaly unstable?

The prince theory would also give a few interesting possibilities in regard to the death of his parents (a court intrigue? a miscomunication of some sort?). And if he sees himself/was brought up as a protector of others it would explain his eagerness to find the shade.
    I am looking for fanfiction of the Culture or other books in the same vein. Any Ideas? PM me or post here.

Preparing to overwrite "reality". Done.

16. - Top - End - #16

Not impossible, but not something I read too much into. To me, it just comes across as a quirky thing between him and Raven, whether the latter likes it or not.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think he's just being silly and adorable.

He seems to have some very childish aspects to him, making him even ore adorable, so him knighting Raven in respect and silliness doesn't sound too out of character to me.

You know, I wonder if Raven has ever been a knight.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    I think he's just being silly and adorable.

He seems to have some very childish aspects to him, making him even ore adorable, so him knighting Raven in respect and silliness doesn't sound too out of character to me.

You know, I wonder if Raven has ever been a knight.
    It seems unlikely. The requisite oaths would likely contradict what we know to be some of the limitations on him, and I believe (though I haven't looked at it lately) that would extend even to more "modern" knighthoods.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I loved the commentary in the latest comic.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I loved the commentary in the latest comic.
    Yea, Dan's commentary amuses me. I find most web-comic commentary to a little dull. With EGS the commentary is, more often that not, a plus.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    It seems unlikely. The requisite oaths would likely contradict what we know to be some of the limitations on him, and I believe (though I haven't looked at it lately) that would extend even to more "modern" knighthoods.
    You could be knighted for being very good at writing stuff or doing something particularly favourable for a king even in the early medieval times so maybe he could have done that?

But you may have a point, anyone remember if he was directly forbidden to join any military or if it was because he can't interfere in human wars?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

22. - Top - End - #22

I think this is the only comic that really describes the nature of Raven's restraints. He and Pandora don't really get any more specific when they talk about it at the hospital, and I can't remember anywhere else it's come up.

So... I don't think we can say for certain. However, I suspect he's made use of his 'act directly if the situation involves magic' loophole in lieu of military service. If an enemy army employs magic, he can probably work to level the playing field, at minimum. Not that I wish to support the 'Raven has actual knighthood' argument, but it's possible he might have received it for vowing service in that specific capacity. As golentan says, though, it would depend on the oaths of knighthood sworn. If a sovereign allows something of an exception in light of a half-immortal's circumstances, though, it could be.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. I like Justin, and I think he's fundamentally a nice guy. But he has some issues he needs to work out. And one of them which has been coming up a lot this arc is he needs to stop being a jerk about selective listening when he gets upset.

Seriously, I've spent half the arc wanting to wallop him. Just because you have cause to be angry doesn't give you cause to block out the other person completely, especially when they're clearly trying to make things right or try to avoid the topic of anger.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    So... I don't think we can say for certain. However, I suspect he's made use of his 'act directly if the situation involves magic' loophole in lieu of military service. If an enemy army employs magic, he can probably work to level the playing field, at minimum. Not that I wish to support the 'Raven has actual knighthood' argument, but it's possible he might have received it for vowing service in that specific capacity. As golentan says, though, it would depend on the oaths of knighthood sworn. If a sovereign allows something of an exception in light of a half-immortal's circumstances, though, it could be.
    We know from way back in Abraham's journal that, at least at one place and time, a wizard practiced his art somewhat openly and had the trust of local villagers as well as a noble patron. This arrangement might have been a secret limited only to the village and the noble, but it still shows that at least some powerful figures knew magic was real. It's not inconceivable that Raven served in, say, Charlemagne's equivalent of the DGB.

Not that it matters that much, anyway. Noah probably lacks the authority to bestow knighthood on anyone (though it's certainly possible he thinks he does). Besides, unless he's got a really big secret, the Knight of Noah title would be utterly meaningless and possible even insulting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I read this up to a point, but it's one of those comics that I love archive trawling and hate being up to date on. I still have it on my RSS, I will need to check back on it at some point I guess.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Ladies and gentlemen, we may soon see some amazing grace (kung fu action).

Thoughts on how it will go?
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

My guess? She alternates between complete incompetence (harming herself when she throws a punch, crying when Greg makes her attack the punching bags, etc) and decided-not-nonletehal berserker fury (throwing around obviously magical attacks like sprouting claws or TK).
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    My guess? She alternates between complete incompetence (harming herself when she throws a punch, crying when Greg makes her attack the punching bags, etc) and decided-not-nonletehal berserker fury (throwing around obviously magical attacks like sprouting claws or TK).
    That's the point she's at right now, though. She's only going because Justin finally helped her understand that learning to fight isn't necessarily about learning to kill, it can just as easily be about learning how to not kill. Grace has power to spare, but with her personality she's either cowering in a corner or in berserker mode, and she wants Greg to find her a middle ground - where she can protect the people she cares for without doing things she'll regret. Grace wants this to work.

Also, the commentary suggests her "almost" knowing how to throw a punch is more technical than it sounds. Knowing how to flail your arms wildly isn't knowing how to through a punch. She could be using "almost" because her form isn't quite up to the level of Ellen's.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    That's the point she's at right now, though. She's only going because Justin finally helped her understand that learning to fight isn't necessarily about learning to kill, it can just as easily be about learning how to not kill. Grace has power to spare, but with her personality she's either cowering in a corner or in berserker mode, and she wants Greg to find her a middle ground - where she can protect the people she cares for without doing things she'll regret. Grace wants this to work.

Also, the commentary suggests her "almost" knowing how to throw a punch is more technical than it sounds. Knowing how to flail your arms wildly isn't knowing how to through a punch. She could be using "almost" because her form isn't quite up to the level of Ellen's.
    Or because she can punch so well that when she hits the punching bag she not only flings it across the room at FTL speeds but damages the very idea of punching bags so badly that every surviving punching bag spontaneously turns into a demonic duck of some sort. But that she can't bring herself to do more than a gentle slap when ellen puts the practice smiley face on it because that would be mean, and thus only "almost" knows how to throw a punch for the purposes of reasonable self defense.

I like the idea of grace as a Sidereal Martial Artist now...
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Grace is clearly a Lunar. Though maybe she finally achieved Sidereal Martial Arts.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune