New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: El Goonish Shive

I'm thinking he grows to 8ft and the hair. Or something sutiable ridiculous to show his love of anime.

Justin only beat it because the creature had the same weakness fire has. Namely water puts it out
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Giant, palpable aura and saiyan-esque hair would be my thought on an Awakening. Getting even taller isn't impossible, but... Eh, just getting taller never really struck me as an anime 'thing.' I could see any sunglasses he might have been wearing turning into Kamina shades, though.

I wonder how likely it is that some of Dex's words are directed at an unseen Immortal...

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I wonder how likely it is that some of Dex's words are directed at an unseen Immortal...
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was that or he was just insane.

4. - Top - End - #64

Hm, guess it isn't too surprising Dex has more than just the one summoning spell. So, now there's a turnabout, and some curiosity about the demonic shadowed thing grabbing Elliot. Curse you cliffhanger comic...

Also, with all the superpowered fire-looking individuals about, here's hoping Grace doesn't start getting flashbacks to Damien.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive

Oh sticky widget, I had forgotten about Damien.

I really hope she doesn't go cuckoo again this close to Greg and Cheerleadra. Or that tehy can manage to find a bush to hide behind, those are impenetrable.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    ...a bush... those are impenetrable.
    That's not what I heard! BAM!

More seriously, I'm starting to get creeped out by the constant "NOW?" -ing.

Also, I don't think Grace will have a damien moment. Call it a hunch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think Dex may be Sirleck's new host. Though the horned "Do~~omsayer" behind Cheerleadra looks more like a shape Pandora would take than like Magus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was that or he was just insane.
    True enough. If he is, though, I suspect his magic and madness might have come from the same or similar sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    That's not what I heard! BAM!
    Keepin' it classy, eh, golentan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I think Dex may be Sirleck's new host.
    Possible, and an interesting idea. I dunno, though. Sirleck seems a lot more... with it than Dex does. Also, I got the impression Magus's plan involved getting Ellen to zap Elliot's body, and specifically his. Though I guess Magus might have a different method in mind.

Latching onto two thoughts that struck me while going through the archives:
    1) Perhaps I was just slow on the uptake, but something finally clicked after seeing these comics here.
    2) Given Sirleck's sudden change of heart and requirements for a new host, am I alone in imagining he plans to add the extra step, "Steal the hell out of the powerful wizard's body"?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Classy as I always do.

I agree Dex does not seem to fit with what little we've seen of sir sirleck. And I don't think it's magus, since I got the impression that whatever Chaos had done to him would last at least a little longer than this. My bet would be this is part of Chaos's plan to reveal the supernatural to the world at large, possibly with the aide of whatsisface (mr. Verres' replacement).
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Possible, and an interesting idea. I dunno, though. Sirleck seems a lot more... with it than Dex does. Also, I got the impression Magus's plan involved getting Ellen to zap Elliot's body, and specifically his. Though I guess Magus might have a different method in mind.
    Magus just said Sirleck would be the distraction. He could be making a direct attack on the Immortals' new charge to draw their attention, hoping they'll start hunting him instead of protecting Elliot.

That being said, I doubt it's the case. As you said, Sirleck is a very intelligent creature: He's savvy and charismatic enough to amass a small fortune, plus crafty enough to transfer said fortune to a new host without raising too many red flags. Dex, on the other hand, is barely capable of speaking a coherent sentence, plus he wastes his energy on horribly inefficient constructs that anyone with real power would know not to bother with.

2) Given Sirleck's sudden change of heart and requirements for a new host, am I alone in imagining he plans to add the extra step, "Steal the hell out of the powerful wizard's body"?
    You're not alone. That's exactly how I read it at first, too. I'm probably wrong, though. That's a pretty huge risk to take, after all: Even if Magus doesn't manage to kill him, he knows the Immortals are going to be coming back soon, and they will notice that their beloved ward has been possessed by the most hateful of all aberrations. That just doesn't jive with the sort of personality that can survive several human lifetimes.

On another note entirely:

I can't help but notice something really odd about the distribution of forces here. Dex summon the demon-thing to grab Elliot, two fire constructs to hold Greg, and only a single construct to take Grace. Why does he apparently consider Grace the least of his concerns? She's clearly not even human. Her appearance alone should make someone unfamiliar with the group re-evaluate his plans. Someone who is familiar with the group, on the other hand, would know she's the biggest threat, and act to take her down first.

All I can imagine is that Dex (or whoever's really pulling the strings here) knows something about Elliot (she was present at his last attack), knows something about Greg (he refers to "the giant" earlier), but doesn't know anything about Grace. That would also imply some odd mentality on the part of the attacker, though, since the human reaction is to treat the unusual with caution until finding more information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Are demon friend is probably not going to want Magus himself rather I think Sirleck will ask for Magus to have a magical child for him to possess.
    One lifetimes worth of body with magical powers? That sounds like a fair trade. The best part is he can make children which would allow him to keep on living.

Also I don't want Sirleck to die. He is interesting enough to me for him to just go off into the background to survive.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Grace thing.
    That construct is bigger then the others and very well may be the actual threat. Also Grace has no training and just throws her weight and powers around.
    Those reasons mean that the others could beat her. I'm not saying it would be easy but possible.
    These reasons mean that it is perfectly logical to do that.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daily updates! Yes!

13. - Top - End - #73

I, too, am joyous. ^__^

As for the strange distribution of resources Dex seems to have, the guy is clearly acting out of character. He's letting the squirrelly girl off easy, and he's a comics nerd. He should know better.

^_^o Back on-topic...

I agree it seems likely Greg and Elliot are the known factors and Grace is the unknown. One possibility: we don't know how much magical energy Dex has at his disposal. The plan as it was may have tied up most of that energy accounting only for Greg and Elliot (though how it was known Elliot would be there is another question), and so what little can be spared (enough for one not-fire man) is all Grace has to deal with. This will likely be seen as a mistake soon (though, again, we know little about what Greg can really do), but if the plan doesn't need much time to succeed, it may not matter too much. The element of surprise might be deemed sufficiently important not to simply back off (or there may not be a reasonable means of doing so).

The Taurcanis leading Elliot away suggests either he or Greg is the primary target. As Dex is still in the dojo, my money's on Greg.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

One thing that bothers me. from the first moment Dex started floating, everything he has said has been a monosylibic question. he may be the one summoning, but is he the one in charge?
    once, we accepted that everything was the way it was, and that was enough for us. now, we question our own existance. clearly, we are approaching a problem. what if, in our quest to determine whether we are real, we find that we are not?

Avatar courtesy of Rae Artemi (thank You)

15. - Top - End - #75

Almost certainly not. His reliance on horribly inefficient summons suggests that he's wields a lot of power that he doesn't really know how to use. The questions seal the deal: I'd confidently wager that an immortal pumped Dex full of juice and is now telling him what to do with it.

My money's on Pandora. For one thing, this seems to be seriously pushing the rules immortals play by--This incident with Dex is basically just one step removed from direct immortal intervention. For another, we know her current goal is to shatter the masquerade, and so far all of Dex's actions have been in service of that goal. The first fire-creature attack did little physical damage, but its getting uploaded to YouTube sent the DGB into "Evolve or die" mode. The Taurcanis seems primed to launch an obviously magical terrorist attack right in front of the same journalist who reported on the fire-thing attack and witnessed Pandora's most recent manifestation.

That still doesn't explain why Elliot needs to be there, of course. Dex could have simply summoned the Taurcanis in private, and it would be out there slaughtering random drivers with no interference. Nor does it explain why Dex attached such significance to "the giant's dojo": Even if Pandora only sent him here to get Elliot involved, he still recognizes Greg as a significant player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    The Taurcanis seems primed to launch an obviously magical terrorist attack right in front of the same journalist who reported on the fire-thing attack and witnessed Pandora's most recent manifestation.
    Huh? That's Melissa.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    That still doesn't explain why Elliot needs to be there, of course. Dex could have simply summoned the Taurcanis in private, and it would be out there slaughtering random drivers with no interference. Nor does it explain why Dex attached such significance to "the giant's dojo": Even if Pandora only sent him here to get Elliot involved, he still recognizes Greg as a significant player.
    Not Elliot; Cheerleadra. Big difference.

The giant's dojo? It's obvious; just like the choice of Justin's gaming store was obvious. You want to shatter the masquerade, then don't break it just by showing there are monsters out there. Break it by showing there are many superpowered beings out there, with different and conflicting agendas (and what clearer, blunter way to show this than by showing them fighting), and that some of them look just like perfectly ordinary people. Greg is big, but as long as you don't see him fight, he looks perfectly mundane.

Furthermore, this also has the effect of keeping Elliot sufficiently distracted elsewhere, so that the fight in the dojo only includes Greg and Grace. If Elliot was the target, it's perfect, he's separated from his allies. If Greg or Grace were the target, then they only have one ally for backup.
    Last edited by Gez; 2011-04-20 at 10:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #78

I think Dex using the inefficient summons might be on purpose on his part. He may wants to show the world magic exists, not actually cause actual harm, therefore, using very flashy summons, choosing to make one of them fight right in front of a busy street plus a reporter, etc.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

And the Week of Shive continues. Way big fun.

Unfortunately, elliot looks pretty out for the count in that last panel. He/she could still get up, but... eesh that thing must hit hard. Hopefully it's not too rampage-y. But I'm not too optimistic.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    I think Dex using the inefficient summons might be on purpose on his part. He may wants to show the world magic exists, not actually cause actual harm, therefore, using very flashy summons, choosing to make one of them fight right in front of a busy street plus a reporter, etc.
    The commentary reveals it to be Melissa, who is not a reporter.

Cheerleadra looks pretty ouch, indeed. Although normal Elliot could still stand after Hedge's chain attack and Cheerleadra's a good deal more Super than him so maybe she can still get up?

Personally I'm more worried about what'd happen if the blow and sudden unconciousness made her transform back into Elliot.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    The commentary reveals it to be Melissa, who is not a reporter.

Cheerleadra looks pretty ouch, indeed. Although normal Elliot could still stand after Hedge's chain attack and Cheerleadra's a good deal more Super than him so maybe she can still get up?

Personally I'm more worried about what'd happen if the blow and sudden unconciousness made her transform back into Elliot.
    Oh, that's Melissa. I swear I had thought it was Sara's sister. o.O
    Ok, this, plus the most recent comic, make me guess I was wrong in my previous post.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

...Jesus, I hate some of the posters on the EGS forum.

Why would you assume a superhero form based on Superman would be weaker and less tough than his normal form? Because he said when he's in Ellen's form he's weaker?

Give me a break.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    ...Jesus, I hate some of the posters on the EGS forum.

Why would you assume a superhero form based on Superman would be weaker and less tough than his normal form? Because he said when he's in Ellen's form he's weaker?

Give me a break.
    Wait, what?

I was kind of going on "wow, from what we've seen and heard Cheerleadra's double tough.* If it had been normal elliot he might be dead." People are assuming that he/she is weaker? What?

*Note that flight only seems to appear with "oh god" power levels in this comic, and the Fire thing was trashing cars up bare handed. Justin took him on by dodging, Elliot blocked the attack head on without mussing his/her hair.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

This comic has a character called "Cheerleadra" ?

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Technically. It's what everyone calls her because her superhero outfit sort of looks like a cheerleader. S/he didn't choose the name.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2011-04-21 at 12:25 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    One of the characters (elliot) can transform himself into a Superheroine. The internet in universe simply declared Elliot's superhero name to be Cheerleadra.

The internet has spoken!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Wait, what?

I was kind of going on "wow, from what we've seen and heard Cheerleadra's double tough.* If it had been normal elliot he might be dead." People are assuming that he/she is weaker? What?

*Note that flight only seems to appear with "oh god" power levels in this comic, and the Fire thing was trashing cars up bare handed. Justin took him on by dodging, Elliot blocked the attack head on without mussing his/her hair.
    Mainly complaining about the people complaining about Elliot assuming his superheroine form "because he's stronger as a male".

This is an actual complaint I've read. And it doesn't seem to be just one guy saying it.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, I've been arguing against that, myself. Even if it did nothing but give him an alter-ego and flight, the loss in power isn't much, as Ellen pointed out that the difference between them was minimal when you factored in Ki. It wouldn't take too much of a magical boost to make Cheerleadra more powerful than Elliot, but we don't know at all what boosts the form has beyond flight.

And I don't think Sirleck has a new body. It sure as heck looked like his current host is Arthur J Arthur and Sirly pointed out once that his host's brain dead already. If he bounces to a new body, Arthur J Arthur has to die at the same time and I just don't see that happening at this point.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

No, Arthur and Sirlek's hosts are explicitly different people.

They have different hair now (after Shive realised he made them look identical).

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Must have missed that. Bummer, it would have been an interesting element.