New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: El Goonish Shive

Quote Originally Posted by Seonor View Post
    The mark can be any shape as long as it covers the right surface area, so they could choose for themselfes. I think it would depend on what spell they got and the situation they were in what the would choose.
    I know, I was considering what they'd chose.

The spell would fit their innate talents, according to the quoted page. So now we have another discussion!

What do you think their innate talents are?

PS: Oh, right. The d20. Embarrasing thing to forget.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive

Soooo... Greg cosplaying as Chun-Li. Yeah.

Inner Circle

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy
    But I must say the Izzet bunch are as crazy as a rabid goat with a rat biting its tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    *ahem* *picks up megaphone*
    Attention everyone! Mal absolutly rocks!

Mal, I name you Fangirlfreind. Whenever you are in aid, call and we shall answer.
    http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...alpromteal.png

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

If it's good enough for Jackie Chan, it's good enough for Greg.

Besides, people cosplay as odder things even when they're not huge anime fanboys from the Gooniverse. ^_^
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

Am I the only one who can't connect to the EGS site today?
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Am I the only one who can't connect to the EGS site today?
    No. I can't connect either.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Weird, my connection's fine.

...Didn't this happen already?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it was fixed some time ago. Not sure what happened.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Works fine now. Hopefully it will continue to do so.

I quite wonder if Noah may have some connection to the Lord Tedd-verse since he reacts that way to the name Shade Tail.

Or maybe his connection to Damien is just deeper than I thought.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Hey kids!

Let's play "Reasons I Hate The Official El Goonish Shive Forums"!

Quote Originally Posted by sonicthunder
    [In response to "And yup, Dex was lonely, definitely lonely."]
    Which is why I fear what that fairy has witnessed and/or experienced.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Communist Agenda
    Also : Terribly lonely social misfit is given the power to summon tiny duplicates of the cute high school chick who hangs out at the game shop to ogle.

That's not creepy at all

[pedobear.jpg]
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicthunder
    It doesn't have to look like Nanase to be creepy.

Remember that Dex is a shut-in.

A shut-in with a comic/manga hobby (not sure if we confirmed comic or manga) and no social life.

A shut-in with a magical doll he can summon of the opposing gender at will.

Yeah, I really, really feel bad for that doll. Gosh I hope it is not sentient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man on the Moon
    [In response to the 'pedobear' image macro]The term 'pedophilia' only applies to attraction to prepubescents. Attraction to post-pubescent teenagers would be 'ephebophilia'.

Also known as 'having a pulse'.

Still creepy, mind, but not for the reasons you said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia
    The creepiness level of the comic just raised about 10 levels. And Tedd's not even present.

Impressive.
    Jesus Christ.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-06-01 at 12:41 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, there are some really bad fans there. It's as caustic as the Dominic Deegan fandom despite being written and drawn far better than Oracle for Hire's comic. The biggest gripe I have with some of them is that they just don't get that they don't know everything - so they take a scene out of context and gripe about it without ever acknowledging that the context is still missing. Others think that having even the slightest positive thing to say is akin to being a gushing fanboy who worships the ground the author walks on and so take every opportunity (whether said opportunity is valid or not) to pick at anything they could conceivably imagine as questionable.

And just like the Deeganites, they get royally pissed if someone suggests they stop reading the comic they despise so much.

I just hope the author doesn't take them seriously. People like that are why I don't publish any of my writing, and I'd hate to see someone who's actually good lose his will to continue after continual harassment like that.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2011-06-01 at 12:56 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

"Telling us stuff we already know" seems to be a favourite, too. Apparently, some people think that characters should never fill each other in on information and every character should automatically know everything the readers do.

And here I always thought this was a character driven drama-comedy, where incomplete information and bad communication is the foundation for the genre.

Also: the author doesn't read the reaction threads. So I'd say he doesn't care what they think.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2011-06-01 at 12:57 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    "Telling us stuff we already know" seems to be a favourite, too. Apparently, some people think that characters should never fill each other in on information and every character should automatically know everything the readers do.

And here I always thought this was a character driven drama-comedy, where incomplete information and bad communication is the foundation for the genre.

Also: the author doesn't read the reaction threads. So I'd say he doesn't care what they think.
    So... much... jumping to conclusions...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Speaking of different parts of the site; anyone know why the EGS: NP stopped updating? The last comic say it would be back withing a week.

It was posted last January.

I personally blame the burning catterpillar in the Dex-in-Wonderland panel. It looks like a Newspaper thief.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    And just like the Deeganites, they get royally pissed if someone suggests they stop reading the comic they despise so much.
    Not sure about the current state, but the posters in the Deegan thread don't dislike the comic overall. At least, not in the way you imply. It's the difference between something so bad it's good(which DD counted as for most of it's run) and So bad it's horrible(what it's getting into now).

Plus, Mookie does have some good ideas. It's just the execution of said ideas absolutely blows.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #135
    Firbolg in the Playground

I will say that exposition is probably Dan's biggest weakness, though. It's a webcomic, so there's a certain economy of time that you have to take into account. Take, for example, "New and Old Flames, Part 3," in which every spends roughly three months of real time sitting in a basement, talking about the implications of what just happened. That was easily the dullest part of this current arc.

I think he recognizes this as one of his weaknesses, too. See his commentary on Tuesday's comic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shive
    The contents of this comic was almost two comics with more text to say the same amount of stuff and no flashbacks or visualizations instead of three. Say what you will about my editing prowess, but it dodged a bullet Matrix-style on this one.
    EDIT: Just so we're clear: Part 3 is the worst offender by far in this regard. I don't think he's done anything as bad in the rest of this arc. I certainly wouldn't apply that complaint to anything in the past few weeks; I'm just saying the complaints shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
    Last edited by Mewtarthio; 2011-06-02 at 12:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, dex is rocking the puppy dog eyes. It's sad that so often those who most need social contact have the most difficulty finding it. But at least he has something in his life he can lavish affection on/be lavished with affection by.

I also recommend dogs. Or cockatoos. If he's got the time to give them proper care, of course.

EGS forums be darned.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    It's sad that so often those who most need social contact have the most difficulty finding it.
    It's logical. Those who have the most difficulty finding social contact are those that as a result are the most deprived of it; and that those that are the most deprived of it, because of this lack, are those who most need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Looks like we'll get to see party-Elliot after all.

Taking bets on how long it will take for that to end in shenanigans! Five minutes? Three? All bets are accepted!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Looks like we'll get to see party-Elliot after all.

Taking bets on how long it will take for that to end in shenanigans! Five minutes? Three? All bets are accepted!
    Will Elliot finally obtain the answers to the questions he was asking (third panel)?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Probably, although he could just have looked it up.

But that wouldn't result in nearly as many hilarious reactions.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Yay! Dex is making a friend!

On the new comic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well that's...interesting.

22. - Top - End - #142

Jesus Christ.
    Tricia and her kind have a very...Keenspottian sense of humor vs. criticism. If that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Not sure about the current state, but the posters in the Deegan thread don't dislike the comic overall. At least, not in the way you imply. It's the difference between something so bad it's good(which DD counted as for most of it's run) and So bad it's horrible(what it's getting into now).

Plus, Mookie does have some good ideas. It's just the execution of said ideas absolutely blows.
    Yep, that about describes us.

Also, hey, I read EGS, I just haven't had anything useful to contribute to this thread until now. *Waves*
    LGBTitP

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Hello. We have angel squirrels here. They're awesome, and they don't let people wear stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground

Poor Elliot... He's going to feel ultra guilty right now. At least he have the excuse of magic making him do it...
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but will sarah forgive him? That's the question.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

He's pretty good at rationalising these things, like when he morphed into her form, but kissing Carol of all people? That's going to be a tough one.

But I'm personally anticipating the Q&A the most, what's all of you's oppinion on those? I personally found teh We're Bringing Silly Back one hilarious.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

"How to get murdered by your girlfriend in three easy steps!"

Also known as potentially creating further troubles between the couple who are already having minor troubles.

28. - Top - End - #148

Seriously. Even though I predict Sarah may be understanding enough not to consciously blame Elliot... Emotional reactions often aren't so reasonable. This is gonna be fun...

On the topic of the upcoming Q&A: This is gonna be fun.

29. - Top - End - #149

Last two panels: is George crushing on Justin?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Last two panels: is George crushing on Justin?
    Pretty sure, yes. The strip where Justin actually tells him Elliot isn't his boyfriend has George reacting in a very "huh? What? You mean you're.. available? I need to go think about that way." Or that's what it looks like to me, anyway. Said strip, for reference.