New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

I'm just waiting for them to declare that Rie Kugimiya is voicing Alice or something.

Who would you pick to voice Rinnosuke?

2. - Top - End - #662
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    I'm just waiting for them to declare that Rie Kugimiya is voicing Alice or something.

Who would you pick to voice Rinnosuke?
    NORIO, of course. Nah, seriously, Yuuichi Nakamura seems like the easy way out, but I think it would fit him.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    I find myself disagreeing with you sir. That is a thing of beauty. The only way it could be finer is if Brokuren the Viking was the main character.
    I don't know, between Meiling's paladin atonement consisting of prayers to Che Guevara to regain her powers, "THE POWER OF MARX COMPELS YOU" being the reasoning for light damage, and her crippling bourgeois allergies forcing her to flee the SDM, I think this works pretty well too.

And then there's Chen Captain Bjorn Gilgamesh and Bruce Hakurei.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

4. - Top - End - #664
    Banned

The adventures of Commie are indeed a thing of beauty. Just a shame that most people don't play along and try to educate the guy on Touhou.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Barbarian in the Playground

Read about four pages of that and then just went "nah". As entertaining as mildly amusing mutilation of one of my favourite fandoms is, it doesn't really grab my interest like it could. Plus I'm hoping on a translation patch for that coming around soon. Digging around various kanji and hiragana while having no idea what the hell is going on is all fine and dandy for plotless dungeon crawlers, but probably not something like Devil of Decline.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    The adventures of Commie are indeed a thing of beauty. Just a shame that most people don't play along and try to educate the guy on Touhou.
    Yeah, the general attitude in the thread (while a more belligerent response would honestly not surprise me) is kind of disappointing. Ah well.

Also, I just remembered that you're a Meiling fan. That works, then. She's the best character in the game anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #667
    Banned

Yeah, Meiling getting a day in the limelight is nice. Only one of the others I might have considered was Byakuren, I rather do like saintly nuns. Also, the power of Marx is fearsome indeed!

8. - Top - End - #668
    Orc in the Playground

Neo-traditionalism of Japan translated. Looks like Maribel is powering up, and fast...

Oh, and here's the second chapter of A Summer's Day Dream. Supposedly subbed, although for some reason I can't get them to work (no CC button) . Looks really good, at least.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    Oh, and here's the second chapter of A Summer's Day Dream. Supposedly subbed, although for some reason I can't get them to work (no CC button) . Looks really good, at least.
    CC button is there and works for me. Try clearing cookies/different web browser/etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    CC button is there and works for me. Try clearing cookies/different web browser/etc.
    Yep, just going to Youtube's playback settings, changing something at random then leaving everything as it was at the start did the trick. Stupid Youtube.

It was fun. Youmu sounded more or less like I expected knowing who was voicing her. Missed chance for Yuuka's appearance, though. Good for Tewi, I guess. They'd better not take three more years to make Ep3...

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm angling for my last two 1cc-Normals, SA and EoSD. Current target is the nuclear hell raven, but I need some help on Orin.

I can (barring really stupid mistakes) perfect clear up to Orin's boss fight in stage 5, but then she just wrecks me hard. What I've got so far:

I use Marisa-A (Alice).

Nonspell 1, Fairy ring and sweeping lines outward: Not a big deal. Just need to practice unfocused dodging here to avoid blowing up the fairies. (I'm supposed to avoid doing that, right?)

Spell 1, Cursed Sprite "Zombie Fairy": I cut left and up, herding the zombie fairies into the corner. I then quickly cut around down the right side so I can put some damage on Orin, before repeating the motion. Is there a better tactic?

Nonspell 2, Suicide sprites and sweeping lines outward: Not sure what I'm supposed to do here. If I fire on Orin, I tag the spirits who mess up the stream. If I stream properly, I can't fire on Orin effectively. It feels like maybe I should just treat this as a survival pattern?
    [Edit]: Just tried it as a survival pattern. Went pretty well. I'll have to practice some more to figure out which "lanes" I need to get in to avoid being boxed in.
    [Edit2]: Yeah, I was just baiting the sprites wrong. The pattern is Jump to Mid -> Cancel a Few Bullets1 -> Wait for the sprites to die -> Move to avoid sprite shots -> Micro-adjust to avoid the sweep. I might be able to do it at full speed with shooting and speed the process up a bit.

Spell 2, Malicious Spirit "Spleen Eater": Not a big deal. I just have to not screw up my movements too much and I'm fine.

Nonspell 3, 6 omnidirectional shot sprites: Really no idea what I'm supposed to do here. The pattern doesn't seem streamable, but it is static; it's also hella dense for the bullet speed involved. I think Orin's movements are random?

Spell 3, Atonement "Needle Mountain of a Former Hell": How in the nine hells are you supposed to read this card? The contrast on the wheels isn't nearly high enough! I take it you're supposed to pseudo-stream them in a back/forth pattern, but I can't tell how they're aimed. Does anyone know? My current tactic is to bomb spam through, which is a problem because A) my bomb kind of sucks and B) I run out of power going into ...

Spell 4, "Rekindling of Dead Ashes": This is the big one that I need a mechanics check on. I think I get (more)/(more aggressive) zombie fairies here if I kill them during pattern 1 and maybe spell 1 as well. I treat it effectively the same as spell 1, herding left, circling right, and shotgunning Orin as best I can. Do I need to do anything else?

Once I can through Orin spending only 1, maybe 2 lives plus change in power (I currently spend 3-6 lives), I'll be pretty well set up for Utsuho. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

1: Come to think of it, what are the rules on bullet canceling? It seems like any time non-mobile bullets are spawn into a pattern they won't appear on top of (or very near) the player, but when I've tried abusing this I usually wind up dead.

[Edit3]: So, with a bit more practice time, I found a good strat for the zombie cards. Herd, curve around to below Orin, shoot everything in front of me, micrododge LIKE A BAWSS. Managed to come out ahead of where I started in practice mode. Still want to figure out how to do nonspell 3 and Needle Mountain without resorting to bombspam.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2012-08-24 at 01:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Orc in the Playground

*decloak* Welp, I've been lurking-without-contributing for long enough.

Anyhow, new Fantasy Kaleidoscope. I'm not sure if it's a trailer for a full episode, or another short, but either way, Imperishable Night might actually be my favorite game, so this has me quite excited. (One of the many Japanese-capable, does it say whether this is a preview, or what, in the text before or after?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHKBtmD4q1E

All in all, pretty sweet. These guys have impressed me right from the start, and I like the music of Yuuhei Satellite. Couple of minor jabs I could make at them... so I will, if only because it's more fun to read commentary when it's got some snark in it.

First, Mystia is very disappointed to be shut out of the trailer entirely, when Cirno-not-appearing-in-this-game got a role. Secondly, Keine seems oddly... static, which is weird because one of my favorite things about this group is the fluid, lifelike way the characters move. Thirdly, to quote the Loading Ready Run/Unskippable guys... "Is the moon just larger in Japan?"
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

13. - Top - End - #673

It is when it's been stolen and replaced with a fake one.

And given the Ver. 0.5 in the title, I'd guess that its a work in progress.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Orc in the Playground

Oh hey, the forums are back up. Excellent.

So, first off, a few animated vids I found last week. First two by yama_ko, who I think is the same person who used to be called Locker Room Productions. They're a few months old, but I don't think I've seen them posted here, so why not. Last one definitely by Locker Room Productions, found it while I was trying to verify or refute the previous claim.

Lotus Bloom - Marisa vs. Byakuren. Pretty cool. Reminds me of another one I saw with the same two characters, but can't find now.
    A Blossom Day - Youmu, and pretty much just Youmu. Given that she's one of my favorite characters, I really enjoyed this one. Props for remembering Tenshi from the fighting games.
    And a fairly new one, a rare one featuring the PC-98 characters, particularly Young Alice.

In other news, we're getting a new fighting game! Looks like an entirely new system, too- new mechanics, new art, the whole shebang. And apparently the theme is the long-awaited religious conflict in Gensokyo that ZUN's been building up to for several games now. Can't wait to dig into this.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

I am mostly excited for all the new music that comes with a new game release.
    My Twitter

16. - Top - End - #676
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post

In other news, we're getting a new fighting game! Looks like an entirely new system, too- new mechanics, new art, the whole shebang. And apparently the theme is the long-awaited religious conflict in Gensokyo that ZUN's been building up to for several games now. Can't wait to dig into this.
    I hope Mokou shows up in this one.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

17. - Top - End - #677

I'm a bit worried about SDM crew not making the cut for the game. With all the characters they have to include for the plotline there just might not be much room. And Sakuya has developed a reputation of not-appearing-in-this-game to uphold
    Depends on if there's a larger mechanical overhaul or just a switch of gimmicks (the tricolor gauge around the portrait likely has something to do with it, and the percentages seem to be connected to said gauge).
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

18. - Top - End - #678
    Banned

As much as I love Sakuya and Meiling, which is a lot, I kinda hope the SDM gets skipped. They're really the spotlight stealing squad of Touhou, so I hope this game is a chance for others to get some spotlight. My personal hopes are Keine, Mokou, Byakuren, Shou, Seiga and Futo, but I doubt I'll get even half of those.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

It's almost entirely TD/UFO/MoF-focused plotwise. While I really hope they keep the old cast, I would not be surprised if most of them got axed to make way for the characters of those three games. Which would be a real shame. I've heard speculation that only Reimu/Marisa/Sanae/Youmu will stay.

They also appear to have axed the card system, which would be frankly tragic.

In other news, latest version of the Touhou MTG set is out.

Changelog below.

Spoiler
    Show

Out: Ruinous Phantom, Wicked Phantom, Ravenfeather Spy, Mapleshield Dervish, Kindly Shopkeeper, Toiling Farmhand, Night Watch Captain, Watchful Night-Hunter, Gust Witch, Wizened Elder, Furious Mob. Each of these cards have been removed as part of reworks to humans, tengu and, to a lesser extent, spirits. There's no real theme to the cut cards except that they were the ones I could afford to lose.

Added: There was a missing card for some reason. I suspect I deleted one by accident shortly before release and never noticed. Sure enough, tengu were one card short of the planned number for them, so I fixed this by adding the Mapleshield Tactician card.

Nerfs: Voile's draw number is now your hand size -2, and yes, that can be 0. Lifedrinker's activated ability now also has an added cost of 1 generic mana. You can all stop cowering in fear of these two now.

Buffs: Pitch-Wing Deceiver gains "U: Look at target player's hand". U being shorthand for a cost of 1 blue mana, for the jargon-impaired. Mapleshield Packleader is not affected by intoxication counters. Heartbreak Spear, when kicked, now also deals 3 damage to the target's controller.

Change: Tengu Scout now costs 1 more mana, has 1 more power and gained a new ability. Saigyouji's Flawless Nirvana changed mana cost from XXBB to XBBB. Indomitable Gateguard is now 0/2, allows all creatures you control to block any number of creatures and gives them protector 2.

Cards added to replace the removed ones: Keen-eyed Scoutmaster, Intrepid Reporter, Calamitous Soul, Suzuran Spectre, Master of Misdirection, Skycatcher, Vengeful Hunter, Noxious Trapper, Apprentice Exorcist, Opportunistic Captain, Lurking Defender, and perhaps a few more I'm forgetting.

Overall intent: Give tengu a viable early game, speed spirits up while removing their reliance on a single monstrously broken card, give humans a rework that retains their defensive focus while not relying purely on blocking.

Errata: Yes, Master of Misdirection can make someone else's creature block something. Including creatures that share a controller with it. The original target, regardless of who controls the blocking creature, is still treated as the defending player for all intents and purposes, and should the blocker be trampled over or something, damage still goes to them.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2012-10-07 at 03:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

20. - Top - End - #680
    Orc in the Playground

I'd expect Utsuho and Suwako to stay, too, provided there's a Shinto/Moriya side to the faith battle. And I can't honestly see them skipping on this. Maybe team up with Reimu to uphold the Good Old Ways against the newcomers or something. The SDM crew looks likely to be out, though, and unless they pull a Keine/Mokou/Kaguya/Wriggle (oh please) out of their hat, i can't see IN having much presence either.

Gameplay wise, I hope spell cards stay in some way, that weather is done with (or at least that they remove Typhoon ) and that whatever mechanic is hinted at by those yes/no/undecided circles around the character portraits is fun but as unintrusive in normal gameplay as possible.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    I'd expect Utsuho and Suwako to stay, too, provided there's a Shinto/Moriya side to the faith battle. And I can't honestly see them skipping on this. Maybe team up with Reimu to uphold the Good Old Ways against the newcomers or something. The SDM crew looks likely to be out, though, and unless they pull a Keine/Mokou/Kaguya/Wriggle (oh please) out of their hat, i can't see IN having much presence either.
    It would be nice. It's also probably not happening, sadly.

Gameplay wise, I hope spell cards stay in some way, that weather is done with (or at least that they remove Typhoon ) and that whatever mechanic is hinted at by those yes/no/undecided circles around the character portraits is fun but as unintrusive in normal gameplay as possible.
    I suspect those circles tie into the theme of the game: Everyone's fighting not to wipe out the other factions, but essentially, to show off enough to impress the human population of Gensokyo. I think it's fairly likely that it has something to do with this, in which case I hope it's a story mode thing or... something instead of completely overshadowing the "hit them until they fall down" part of the gameplay.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #682

It would be wonderful if there was an option to turn the gimmick off for VS. SWR/Soku storymode was already a fairly large departure from the arcademode so it would make sense to balance the characters for 'vanilla' VS play and let the storymode scenarios do their own thing.

About the MtG set:
    Flipped Keine and Sakuya in play, Sakuya exiles herself for extra turn, Keine brings her back for free at upkeep, Sakuya exiles again, ad infinitum.
    Intended interaction or oversight? The last time i played MtG was back when Tempest was still a thing so my sense for what's appropriate power level is quite nonexistent. Sure, it's pretty much a win if it goes off, and can do so fairly early, but it also falls apart if Keine is removed from the picture.
    Also, is there any way to save filter preferences?
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2012-10-08 at 02:52 PM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    About the MtG set:
    Flipped Keine and Sakuya in play, Sakuya exiles herself for extra turn, Keine brings her back for free at upkeep, Sakuya exiles again, ad infinitum.
    Intended interaction or oversight? The last time i played MtG was back when Tempest was still a thing so my sense for what's appropriate power level is quite nonexistent. Sure, it's pretty much a win if it goes off, and can do so fairly early, but it also falls apart if Keine is removed from the picture.
    Also, is there any way to save filter preferences?
    Oversight, though good luck getting both Sakuya and flipped Keine out.

Sakuya needs a nerf anyway. The contents thereof (1 more CMC, and the exile cost also requiring 1~2 counters) will do away with this issue, so that's that.

Edit: Not sure what you mean about filter preferences.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2012-10-09 at 12:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

24. - Top - End - #684

I meant Lackey's card filtering options. I set them up twice for ease of browsing, but doing so every time is too much work. If there's a way to make them stick that would be nice to know.

What i had in mind for the combo was something like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

4 Sakuya Izayoi
    4 Old History
    4 Demon Binding Circle
    2 Innocent // Guilty
    4 Sanzu River
    8 Plains
    8 Island
    3 Village Gatewatcher
    3 Indomitable Gateguard
    4 Ring of the Peaceful Dead
    4 Faerie Genius
    2 Mamizou Futatsuiwa
    1 Alice Margatroid
    1 Yukari Yakumo
    1 Satori Komeiji
    3 Order in the Court

The gameplan was to just rush cards to exile with Old History, Demon Binding Circle, Innocent//Guilty(Innocent) and Keine herself. Sakuya could also just start in exile through Keine/Old History (Faerie Genius to dump Sakuya in the graveyard), in which case i'd use Order in the Court or Fantasy Heaven to keep Keine safe for the one turn she needs to be on the table. Until then she can just remain in hand if facing lots of removal. Once the loop was up, Mamizou and Satori would fake Keine to cast all the useful things in exile while Keine kept the loop going. But yeah, one trick pony that crumbles if Keine dies.

Satori/Mamizou seems like a winning combination as well, though by how much remains to be seen. Them + Alice/Shanghai/Hourai is nifty. A copycat that keeps it's own name can copy legendaries without critical existence failure, right? I'm a bit unsure of that.

Imo, exile-timestop should require 2 counters, with only 1 you could rotate 2 Sakuyas in and out (one exiles before Keine brings the other back). Quite a bit less likely to pull off though, at that point the opponent has had a fair chance to win already. Yukari could do it with just one Sakuya, so R/U rushing Yukari with Subterranean Sun is another reason to make it 2 counters.

Another option could be to differentiate exile(deader than dead) from exile(history/spirited away) with counters. Inelegant, as it pretty much spells out the combos, but works better with regular cards and their exile=deader-than-dead assumption.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2012-10-09 at 01:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

You should just be able to filter by set: thmtg. And I recall mine saving this filter.
    My Twitter

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

A Youtube search for Touhou Music, playlist will get you my list as the top result. That makes me feel really awesome.
    My Twitter

27. - Top - End - #687
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I done it. I finally brought Yukari down! All hail me!!

...ok, I guess it's not that special as I bet I'm just one of many, but still I kinda felt the need to shout it out...
    We'll build a fortress
    To keep them out
    And in a world gone silent
    I'll be your sound

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bit Fiend View Post
    I done it. I finally brought Yukari down! All hail me!!

...ok, I guess it's not that special as I bet I'm just one of many, but still I kinda felt the need to shout it out...
    I'm on an Extra quest myself, and I'm not looking forward to PCB and EoSD. They just feel so sluggish compared to 9+. Maybe it's just because I only tried them on Reimu A.

Grats on taking down that drowsy troll, by the way.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    I'm on an Extra quest myself, and I'm not looking forward to PCB and EoSD. They just feel so sluggish compared to 9+. Maybe it's just because I only tried them on Reimu A.

Grats on taking down that drowsy troll, by the way.
    Thanks.

I still would give PCB a chance. The music is great, the cast is the best in the whole series IMHO, and it has some of the most fun spellcards I've seen so far. (I've taken every 1cc Normal save for SA and Fairy Wars, so I've seen quite a bit. ) What is the Extra you're challenging right now, if I may ask?
    We'll build a fortress
    To keep them out
    And in a world gone silent
    I'll be your sound

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bit Fiend View Post
    Thanks.

I still would give PCB a chance. The music is great, the cast is the best in the whole series IMHO, and it has some of the most fun spellcards I've seen so far. (I've taken every 1cc Normal save for SA and Fairy Wars, so I've seen quite a bit. ) What is the Extra you're challenging right now, if I may ask?
    UFO. EX-Kogasa is still basically a 1-2 bomb tax, and my current wall is Nue's Green UFO card (I know what to do, I just tend to derp it up). I think I'll be trying for SA after that.

[EDIT]: And cleared. With no lives, no bombs, 1.06 power, and a pair of spare red UFOs.
    Last edited by AlterForm; 2012-11-02 at 02:54 PM.