New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

Just noticed that Kanako was responsible for building Byakuren's temple (directly over Miko's mausoleum, which woke her up). So either she's really bad at conspiracies, or she wants the Buddhists and Taoists to wear each other down so she can step in and take over.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-08-17 at 01:41 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Byakuren is already being Flanderised into a bully.
    What?

No, seriously, what?

Damn it, fandom. And people ask me why I rarely read doujins anymore .

Just noticed that Kanako was responsible for building Byakuren's temple (directly over Miko's mausoleum, which woke her up). So either she's really bad at conspiracies, or she wants the Buddhists and Taoists to wear each other down so she can step in and take over.
    Well, IIRC, Kanako helped because Byakuren asked for help setting down. I always did find it strange that Kanako did actually help, though - she's not much of a helper, normally. So this does explain a bit. It seems most likely to me that they both figured out, and agreed to put the Temple on there to try and reinforce the seals that kept Miko and company sleeping there.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    What?

No, seriously, what?

Damn it, fandom. And people ask me why I rarely read doujins anymore .
    There's at least two pictures of Byakuren sitting on Miko, which is more of a visual joke than anything else, but you know people are thinking it.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2011-08-17 at 03:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    There's at least two pictures of Byakuren sitting on Miko, which is more of a visual joke than anything else, but you know people are thinking it.
    Not everyone gets the joke. There are people who genuinely hate Shikieiki "because she sends people she doesn't like to hell."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Bugbear in the Playground

The way things look, the Taoist faction is by far the weakest right now. They've only got 4 real members, whereas Myouren Temple has twice their number (including TWO extra-stage bosses) and Moriya Shrine might end up calling in Utsuho (who does seem to be working with them as of TH12.3). And let's face it: the Taoist folks are just bad at danmaku. They're just so much easier than their counterparts in the other factions. Stage 5 of TH13 is easier than Stage 3 of TH12, IMHO.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

6. - Top - End - #396
    Orc in the Playground

Well, five if you count Yoshika... which brings up an advantage the Taoists have over the Myourens, persistence. Most of them have displayed at least some capacity to reanimate, so they could probably stage a pretty formidable war of attrition ("How many times do we have to defeat the same people?")

Then again, the fairies can do that too, and their lack of power means they're mostly just a nuisance.

On a slightly related note, have you been following the progress on a translation for Genius of Sappheiros? If you're looking to do another Let's Play, they seem to have it in workable enough condition to get started.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Banned

I could see Kanako teaming up with the Daoists, actually. They get political power and let her have the religious power. Both are also opposed to youkai. That should even the odds quite a bit, even if it would make the situation less complex and interesting.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Not everyone gets the joke. There are people who genuinely hate Shikieiki "because she sends people she doesn't like to hell."
    Not only that, but things kinda snowball. Notice how portrayals evolve pre-and-post the advent of the one meme people latch on for the character. And people already obviously were trying to find a meme to slap on Byakuren to simplify the character, this might just fit the bill for many people.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post
    On a slightly related note, have you been following the progress on a translation for Genius of Sappheiros? If you're looking to do another Let's Play, they seem to have it in workable enough condition to get started.
    I'm interested in this as well, as I recently got my hands on it on a whim and have been trying to get it to work. Could you point me to that translation project?
    Also, I'm trying it under Windows now, but does anyone know if it also works under Linux with Wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    I could see Kanako teaming up with the Daoists, actually. They get political power and let her have the religious power. Both are also opposed to youkai. That should even the odds quite a bit, even if it would make the situation less complex and interesting.
    Given that their schtick is anti-youkai, I can see the Taoists trying to get the human village (and with it likely Keine, with added irony in that she's herself a werebeast; with her possibly Mokou too) as an ally too.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2011-08-17 at 04:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    Given that their schtick is anti-youkai, I can see the Taoists trying to get the human village (and with it likely Keine, with added irony in that she's herself a werebeast; with her possibly Mokou too) as an ally too.
    I'm going to guess they're going to be moderating the anti-youkai thing a bit. Because Gensokyo is especifically made to be primarily a haven for magical creatures and things, which include youkai, and starting breaking stuff and yelling against youkai in here is really not unlike coming into the house of someone and demanding that they change it to fit your tastes.

And I don't think Yukari would like a full-on human-versus-youkai war of turf disputes in her little haven.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-08-17 at 04:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Orc in the Playground

Sure, here's the link to the translation project.

On the subject of the war, I can't help but think that Tenshi would want to get involved. Partly because the Celestials would have a stake in a holy war, and partly because Tenshi's just meddlesome like that. Of course, she doesn't really have enough allies to start her own side, so that makes things more complex. And come to think of it, on the subject of denizens of the afterlife(s) getting involved, that means Yuyuko, Satori and Shikieiki would be paying close attention too.

Out of the Windows games, that leaves only... the Scarlet Devil Mansion and Eientei without a dog in this fight? Well, the SDM has had lots of exposure anyway, and Eientei doesn't seem to care much what happens in Gensokyo as long as they're not inconvenienced by it.
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2011-08-17 at 04:44 PM.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Not only that, but things kinda snowball. Notice how portrayals evolve pre-and-post the advent of the one meme people latch on for the character. And people already obviously were trying to find a meme to slap on Byakuren to simplify the character, this might just fit the bill for many people.
    I thought the memes were Purity Sue and constantly misunderstanding things?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-08-17 at 06:53 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Banned

Byakuren is far too active to be a purity sue in most portrayals I've seen. I also haven't seen people obsess over her due to traits such as innocence or beauty. Also, she kind of really isn't innocent.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Byakuren is far too active to be a purity sue in most portrayals I've seen. I also haven't seen people obsess over her due to traits such as innocence or beauty. Also, she kind of really isn't innocent.
    Yeah, there's not been much obsession over her innocence. Mostly it's been over either her supposed ditziness or her boobs.

Though, I must say, I have not seen that many portrayals of Byakuren being anything that could be considered "active" instead of reactive.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, there's not been much obsession over her innocence. Mostly it's been over either her supposed ditziness or her boobs.

Though, I must say, I have not seen that many portrayals of Byakuren being anything that could be considered "active" instead of reactive.
    There's one where she rather actively befriends the tar out of Yuuka... but I guess it's still passive in that Yuuka started it.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

So, only a couple months ago did I finally beat Imperishable Night on easy (my first Touhou game). I was WAY happy to have beaten the game, even though I used the maximum number of continues possible.

The, yesterday happpened. I am currently at my cousin's house, haven't played a Touhou game in 2 months, and have been working hard every day. I get up in the morning, do 7 hours of work, and then we hit a progress wall and have about an hour or so free. So, I sit down to fix one of their spare computers. While running spybot I plug in my flash drive and give Imperishable Night another spin. Reimu/Yukari, Easy (still not good at this game).

Then, in no time at all I find that I have beaten Marissa, and realize I had not used a continue yet, a feat that I had never done (I only lost one list on Marissa actually). She always had me losing a continue or even two to beat her. I was in the groove.

Long story short, I plowed through the rest of the game, and successfully 1cc'd a Touhou game. I feel great!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    So, only a couple months ago did I finally beat Imperishable Night on easy (my first Touhou game). I was WAY happy to have beaten the game, even though I used the maximum number of continues possible.

The, yesterday happpened. I am currently at my cousin's house, haven't played a Touhou game in 2 months, and have been working hard every day. I get up in the morning, do 7 hours of work, and then we hit a progress wall and have about an hour or so free. So, I sit down to fix one of their spare computers. While running spybot I plug in my flash drive and give Imperishable Night another spin. Reimu/Yukari, Easy (still not good at this game).

Then, in no time at all I find that I have beaten Marissa, and realize I had not used a continue yet, a feat that I had never done (I only lost one list on Marissa actually). She always had me losing a continue or even two to beat her. I was in the groove.

Long story short, I plowed through the rest of the game, and successfully 1cc'd a Touhou game. I feel great!
    Yay, now you should go attempt Normal or Extra! Extra can be a bit easier (sometimes) than Normal or hard because of the shorter distance you need to travel through to beat it.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

Congratulations

There is a link to a story that I was considering posting here for a while now, but I feel like I've told everyone already.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2011-09-03 at 02:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks guys.

Currently looking for remixes of this song now.
    My Twitter

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

My Twitter

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

Some nice music here. Including Ten Desires and even Madoka tracks
    EDIT: That channel does not have all of them.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-09-23 at 08:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

This video never fails to bring me from zero to Touhou obsessed in 90 seconds flat.

So, I really need to find time to post about all my recent musical discoveries. I literally have about 12 hours of music to share.

Oh, and on top of that I discovered that FELT has published two new albums. Their first two were absolutely amazing. There are only three albums ever made where I like every single song on the album, and FELT made two of them. Very excited to listen to their new ones.
    My Twitter

23. - Top - End - #413
    Orc in the Playground

Oh hey, look what I found! Someone finally put up an English dub of Memories of Phantasm! Part 1 here.

I don't always troll. But when I do, I prefer Team Fortress 2 dubs.

--C. S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post
    Oh hey, look what I found! Someone finally put up an English dub of Memories of Phantasm! Part 1 here.

I don't always troll. But when I do, I prefer Team Fortress 2 dubs.
    I was amused.
    My Twitter

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

So I discovered that FELT had produced two new albums since I looked at them last, and now am in love with this song.

What music have you guys discovered recently?
    My Twitter

26. - Top - End - #416

Sound of Carnation. Probably my new favorite.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

Vocals. Vocals everywhere. Fleeeeeeeeeeee.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    :( I like the one I linked because I can't understand any of it... Sounds just like another instrument.

I'll see if I can find a nice piece that doesn't have vocals.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Ah, the curse of actually understanding Japanese I guess.

Hey, how about this Cog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTMR2HFXSos

90 straight minutes of music, no vocals.
    My Twitter

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Ah, the curse of actually understanding Japanese I guess.

Hey, how about this Cog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTMR2HFXSos

90 straight minutes of music, no vocals.
    Heard it before, and again when you linked it in IRC. Thanks, though. Still rather good.

Oh, and while we're linking incredibly long medleys...

50 minute medley by ALTERNATIVE, who are the bestest at percussion.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman