New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ninja_penguin View Post
    Yeah, in Imperishable night, I've found that learning when you're totally doomed and need to bomb is a good thing, as it effectively doubles your bomb capacity compared to using last spells all the time.

Also, as somebody who recently finally beat Kaguya on Normal mode, anybody have any suggestions for the next game to find?
    Extra mode in IN?

Trying out one of the newer games would be neat for you to see how the design has evolved over the years.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Extra mode in IN?

/dohohohoho

Yeah, I'm thinking not so much, after dying to the first fairy, and then watching Mokou's spellcards on youtube.

Is it true that Imperishable Night is the easiest one out there? I've heard that subterranean animism is pretty brutal overall, but any specific recommendations?
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

3. - Top - End - #453

/dohohohoho

Yeah, I'm thinking not so much, after dying to the first fairy, and then watching Mokou's spellcards on youtube.

Is it true that Imperishable Night is the easiest one out there? I've heard that subterranean animism is pretty brutal overall, but any specific recommendations?
    Aw, you make my avatar sad.

Imperishable Night is considered the "easiest" game because of how generous it is with extra lives and bombs. You can change the number of lives you start with to some degree, and every time you continue, you get an additional extra life to work with. Additionally, easy mode is pretty dang easy. Most of those things don't really apply to extra mode though.

Recommendations for next game to play. Perfect Cherry Blossom if you want an older one, Unidentified Fantastic Object or Ten Desires for newer.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Orc in the Playground

People have said that Ten Desires is one of the easiest thus far, and is a break from the relatively painful experiences of the more "recent games." (Recent here meaning MoF through UFO; I don't remember which ones specifically are considered hard.) I'd recommend taking a look at that, or just continue numerically with MoF. If you're going to MoF and later, note that continuing now starts you from the beginning of the stage, not where you last died. You could also go backwards; PCB is a good one. EoSD removes the visible hitbox, so if you're reliant on it, you may want to pass. Do also note that none of the other games (except TD I think) has Spell Practice, so you're just going to have to do entire stages to get better against certain bosses/cards.

You could also try out some of the spinoffs. PoFV is quite tiring, but it might be good if you have friends you can play with and enjoy competition. The two picture games are fun in my opinion, although they're quite difficult. They might be useful for practicing specific patterns though, since each stage is one card and you can pick whichever ones you want to do. And finally, I personally love the fighting games, but that's a different genre entirely.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2011-12-05 at 05:45 PM.
    Youmu "Myon" Konpaku avatar by Prime32, avatar creator extraordinaire!

5. - Top - End - #455
    Banned

Of those I'd recommend Ten Desires. While I absolutely love Shou and Byakuren as characters, UFO is one of the hardest games in the series by a fair margin. Compared to the early games its easy mode is harder than most normal modes and some gameplay mechanics exacerbates this, most notably the difficulty of getting new lives and bombs and the risks it entails and the way continues are handled where they send you back to the start of the stage.

It does have some great backgrounds and gets you acquainted with some really great and popular characters, though.

6. - Top - End - #456

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Aw, you make my avatar sad.
    Well, Kaguya got me into Touhou, after somebody pointed out that I'd used a picture of her that i'd nabbed from a character art thread on /tg/ for a character once. So I guess I come down on that side of the rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Of those I'd recommend Ten Desires.
    Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    People have said that Ten Desires is one of the easiest thus far, and is a break from the relatively painful experiences of the more "recent games."

You could also try out some of the spinoffs.
    So, Ten Desires sounds like a go, then. I did nab Mountain of Faith, and mein gott, you weren't kidding about Imperishable Night being generous with the lives. Also I'm not sure what to think about the Bomb 'power' system. I know that I'm not a huge fan of the auto-focuses if I hold fire down.

Speaking of spin-offs, is Fairy Wars any good? Cirno amuses me in a memetic fashion.
    Last edited by ninja_penguin; 2011-12-05 at 05:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

Character Roster:

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

I like some of the characters in MoF, and the soundtrack is incredible. Gameplay-wise, however, I'd say it's tied with EoSD for worst in the series. The rest of this post will be written from behind cover.

Anyway, PCB is excellent. Go play that. Easy is harder than IN easy, while Normal is easier than IN normal. And yes, the fighting games, while not what you're looking for, are possibly my favourite parts of the series.

As for Fairy Wars? Fantastic game. It may actually be my favourite of all the shooters in the series.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    I like some of the characters in MoF, and the soundtrack is incredible. Gameplay-wise, however, I'd say it's tied with EoSD for worst in the series. The rest of this post will be written from behind cover.

Anyway, PCB is excellent. Go play that. Easy is harder than IN easy, while Normal is easier than IN normal. And yes, the fighting games, while not what you're looking for, are possibly my favourite parts of the series.

As for Fairy Wars? Fantastic game. It may actually be my favourite of all the shooters in the series.
    Any game with Youmu as a playable is my favorite. Great Fairy Wars was a lot of fun though.

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Situation View Post
    Any game with Youmu as a playable is my favorite. Great Fairy Wars was a lot of fun though.
    Hisoutensoku Youmu still scares me.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #460
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ok, so, getting better at this, I think. As in, when I play on Normal now, stages 1 and 2 pass without incident. Stage 3 however has Keine, who quite happily crushes me.

Also, managed to beat 6B with Border team on Easy, the game proceeded to recommend Extra Stage in the credits. Take a wild guess how that went.
    I Wanna Be the Guy Kid avatar by Ceika. Many thanks.

If I win, I get to be a king. If I lose, then I get to be a legend.

11. - Top - End - #461

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    Ok, so, getting better at this, I think. As in, when I play on Normal now, stages 1 and 2 pass without incident. Stage 3 however has Keine, who quite happily crushes me.

Also, managed to beat 6B with Border team on Easy, the game proceeded to recommend Extra Stage in the credits. Take a wild guess how that went.
    Keine got you again?
    Last edited by memnarch; 2011-12-06 at 05:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #462

I didn't even get to Keine.

13. - Top - End - #463

I didn't even get to Keine.
    Sorry, sorry! Just joking.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Banned

Awwww, does that mean I don't get to cave you?

I play Keine on a Touhou RP site and all.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Awwww, does that mean I don't get to cave you?

I play Keine on a Touhou RP site and all.
    Does that mean you play EX-Keine as well?

⑨Strongest Ice⑨

16. - Top - End - #466
    Banned

Given that they're the same person, just at different times of the month, it does.

17. - Top - End - #467

After poking around a bit, I'm liking Perfect Cherry Blossom the most right now.

Also, when trying out everybody, I stumbled on SakuyaA's max-dakka spread/semi-homing knives. Why is she not the main character every game?

Also Merlin Prismriver, you and I have unfinished business.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Roster:

18. - Top - End - #468
    Banned

The Prismrivers are horrible to fight and Merlin is the worst of them in the bits where they aren't together. When I played PCB I pretty much always strove to deal the most damage to Lyrica so she would be the one I got to fight in the solo segments instead. She's so much easier.

And I agree, Sakuya A in PCB is the nicest bulletspread of any playable character ever. Which is awesome since she's also the coolest playable character by a fair margin so it's nice to be able to choose her while still getting an effective shot.

19. - Top - End - #469

So out of curiosity, is it taboo to post the ending text? I'm curious because when i was looking up a few bits to see if there was a joke I'd missed, I notice that there is two endings for each shot type of the protagonists. And I'm not really a fan of having to relearn everything all over again for each.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Roster:

20. - Top - End - #470

So out of curiosity, is it taboo to post the ending text? I'm curious because when i was looking up a few bits to see if there was a joke I'd missed, I notice that there is two endings for each shot type of the protagonists. And I'm not really a fan of having to relearn everything all over again for each.
    ZUN has asked for people to not post those around, and for the most part, people have listened.

21. - Top - End - #471

I figured it must have been something like that.

The prismriver sisters continue to get all of my rage, perhaps mostly due to the crap that I have to put up with just to reach them.

Youmu is hard, but something i think I'll be able to get through eventually. I think Reisen was harder overall on me; I managed to figure out her non-spellcard attacks, but my general method (focusing mostly on the character, then zooming out and identifying lines of motion in that direction) failed hard on her when she would reorient everything.

edit-addendum: Oh, do cherry points do anything other than score, and the supernatural border every 50K? Was just curious. I know the time points were the triggers for the last spells, and for the endgame in Imperishable Night, and was curious if they're at all similar.

Was also wondering if your current level of cherry points matters for the dialogue. Every time I meet Youmu she's all 'blarg I am a spring vampire', ~2-3 lives later and KNIVES, KNIVES EVERYWHERE, when we meet again she's all 'oh, when did a human get in here?'
    Last edited by ninja_penguin; 2011-12-08 at 12:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Character Roster:

22. - Top - End - #472

I wish to note: Forbidden Arcanum: Hourai Elixir(Eirin's Last Spell) can go and combust. I have tried that far too many times only to fail with the countdown sound still ringing in my ears.
    Yes, even on Easy. I haven't even gotten that far on Normal yet.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

I wish to note: Forbidden Arcanum: Hourai Elixir(Eirin's Last Spell) can go and combust. I have tried that far too many times only to fail with the countdown sound still ringing in my ears.
    This is normal. You seriously have no idea how normal this is.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

24. - Top - End - #474

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    This is normal. You seriously have no idea how normal this is.
    Case in point.

25. - Top - End - #475

Totally forgot about the line in my signature, so it surprised me a bit when I got a request for an avatar. Took me while to get it done (due college), but I finished it!

Big version Ichirin and Unzan.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #476
    Dwarf in the Playground

Love the mustache on Unzan.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2011-12-16 at 07:25 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477

Progress: Tried Extra Stage to puncture own ego after finally beating Hourai Elixir on Easy, accidentally got to Mokou through judicious use of bombspam. Got to her third spellcard, where I ran out of lives. And bombs.

Ego now far too inflated for own good.
    Last edited by The_Final_Stand; 2011-12-20 at 05:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Orc in the Playground

Ego now far too inflated for own good.
    Try SA or UFO? Those games are usually considered quite difficult. Or maybe play through the stages again, but jump straight up to Lunatic? I've heard people say that Extra is actually about the same difficulty as Hard, due to differences like how long each session lasts or less predictability in patterns.

Or if I'm just bad at recognizing modesty, ignore me.
    Youmu "Myon" Konpaku avatar by Prime32, avatar creator extraordinaire!

29. - Top - End - #479

Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

30. - Top - End - #480

Heh, amusing, but I wish the maker had stuck with closer to real spell cards for the characters that have them anyway.