New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    Graphical User Interfaces can't do that.
    You just need to ENHANCE them a bit.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Final_Stand View Post
    Graphical User Interfaces can't do that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Banned

Only ever read one doujin with them and it was them in the outside world poking around weird things and finally managing to find a way into Gensokyo. It had nice, atmospheric and kinda surreal art. No Maribel getting stuck in Gensokyo, though.

But, yeah, the case for Maribel becoming Yukari is pretty strong. She even moves backwards in time every time she goes to Gensokyo in her dreams, making it possible for her to found the place if she has enough dreams like that.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Only ever read one doujin with them and it was them in the outside world poking around weird things and finally managing to find a way into Gensokyo. It had nice, atmospheric and kinda surreal art. No Maribel getting stuck in Gensokyo, though.

But, yeah, the case for Maribel becoming Yukari is pretty strong. She even moves backwards in time every time she goes to Gensokyo in her dreams, making it possible for her to found the place if she has enough dreams like that.
    Aye, that it does. Can read more about the possibility here.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Can anyone remember the name/circle of a doujin with this plot?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using a crystal provided by Shinki, Alice makes Shanghai temporarily independent, and has her stay with Marisa for better data. Alice seems to think that only a person who can create life is truly alive (or something like that) and wants to prove her existence beyond being Shinki's doll, but someone also says she's just imitating her mother. At the end Shanghai gives Alice a plushie she made, and it is heartwarming.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-04-20 at 07:53 AM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Can anyone remember the name/circle of a doujin with this plot?
    Haven't seen it (yet, still working my way through the Voile archives), but if you find out let us know, I'm about ready for some more doll action after the awesomeness that was Omoito.

Meanwhile, everyone should watch this. No one can blame Touhou fans for not being dedicated enough, that's for sure...

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

So, Symposium of Post-mysticism and Trojan Green Asteroid are out. Only the former has been (partially) translated so far, while the tracks of the latter are on Youtube.

Interesting tidbits:
    Quote Originally Posted by ZUN
    Kisume... She doesn't really understand what's she's doing, normally. I think of her as pretty brutal though. Words are useless against her; she'd just chop your head off, stick it in her bucket, and return home. The head you see may not even be Kisume's head.
    [...]
    Well, the head you see really is hers, but she's that sort of unpleasant character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miko
    "Rule" is such an ugly word. It would just be a stopgap measure until someone from among the humans is able to imitate and deny me.
    Plus this.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-04-30 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Image not showing up

8. - Top - End - #548
    Banned

Yeah, apparently Symposium darkens Gensokyo a fair bit. Haven't looked at it too much, though.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Barbarian in the Playground

For all ZUN's failings, he does draw a surprisingly convincing image error. Veeeeerrrry convincing indeed...
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Yeah, apparently Symposium darkens Gensokyo a fair bit. Haven't looked at it too much, though.
    I'm just wondering if Miko is ever going to find out what Rinnosuke has in his shop. Technically I think she's the rightful owner...
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-04-30 at 12:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh wow, it's like I was actually blocked from a hotlink. Incredible, work, ZUN. I find myself wondering how long I can keep this up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King;
    Hydrogen Dioxide! It kills more people than ANYTHING ELSE! Billions are CHRONICALLY ADDICTED to it!

INCLUDING BABIES! THINK OF THE BABIES!
    Currently not doing any Let's Plays or AARs or anything, on account of being a lazy git. I'll get around to it eventually. Really.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Orc in the Playground

Be wary of partial translations. A few days ago Nitori was drowning humans for fun, but in the end it turned out to be a mistranslation. I'll wait until it's fully done and validated (well, as validated as things in the Touhouwiki tend to be, which is not much) to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Plus this.
    ...and if it turns out that the only good thing to come out of Symposium is this, I'll be perfectly happy with it. Sutra-punk-rock for the win.

In related news, the new remix of Hartmann's Youkai Girl is great.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

And there is a translation of the story now.
    http://kafkafuura.wordpress.com/2012...reen-asteroid/

14. - Top - End - #554
    Bugbear in the Playground

To answer your question about that doujin, it's called Mimesis Dolls. It's pretty 'dawwsome.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

It needed to be drawn. Accept my half-hearted attempt.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #556
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ever so slightly off topic, but I just realised that it'd probably be easier to advertise the Touhou RP site we've got here rather than just over on the recruitment boards, so I'll link it just this once for people who may have missed it and find it interesting!

Possibility of Interminable Reciprocity! Have a look at the advert thread if it sounds interesting!
    *waves hand* "There are no plotholes here. This isn't the comic you are looking for..."
    Possibility of Interminable Reciprocity! For that Touhou Roleplaying game you always wanted to join, but never managed to!

17. - Top - End - #557
    Troll in the Playground

So, on the vague chance that some people (besides Volatar and Cyborg Mage) play Magic to any degree...

After a few people talked me into it (ending with MoelVermillion, who actually helped a great deal), I downloaded Magic Set Editor and set about making a 315-card Touhou set. That was a bit over a month ago.

The set is not complete yet, but all 315 cards have been made. All that needs to be done now is on the following list:

1: Assign rarities.
    2: Find more art.
    3: Write a whole lot of flavour text. This will be tricky.
    4: Credit artists.
    5: Download translucent frames. Switch full art cards to those frames.
    6: Port over to Lackey/Cockatrice.

Then playtesting. A full list of disclaimers to stop people burning me at stake for the previews I am about to show can be found in the spoiler.

Spoiler
    Show
    1: No, it's not all legendaries or whatever. This is just what I have art for, and therefore consider fit for showing to people. This is, while heavy on legendaries (still less than Champions of Kamigawa!), a perfectly functional set and intended as such. It's also designed to be entirely compatible with other sets. Playable in Constructed, Limited and (probably) Draft.

2: The set contains no reprints. Though Zephyr Sprite got... either a reprint or a functional one. I forget.

3: The set contains 315 cards.

4: The set will be playable on Cockatrice and Lackey (for those not in the know, these are programs for playing Magic online) once completed, and will be made available for downloading on this thread. Obviously, it will be put through several phases of playtesting first, which you're quite welcome to help out with.

5: I am keeping track of artists for each image and will credit them on the card. I would ask, yes, but sadly that's not an option. Additionally, I will not use any images that I can't find the artist for. I also can't promise that everything will have art - or rather, I can promise that it will not. Finding art for characters, lands and some other stuff is doable. Everything else, rather less so. Solutions include having eleventy billion dollars to commission people with, or volunteers drawing art. Neither seems likely at the moment. Sorry.

6: No, not every character will make it in. Your favourite may well have been cut. Sorry, but the fact of the matter is that there really, really isn't enough space for everyone, and I've caught quite enough flak for this no-right-answer selection already. That said, if this is actually played much at all, I may work on a second, smaller set. If I do, obviously, quite a few more characters will make it in, maybe even all of the cut ones. And of course, even if they don't turn up on a card, they may have non-creature cards themed after/attributed to them. Cameos of sorts. Again, nothing's set in stone regarding future stuff. This isn't even done yet.

7: Suggestions on art, cards, effects and so forth are very much appreciated, but thanks to a few people I've talked to in the past, I feel I should point one thing out: These are suggestions at most, not orders. Moel and I have the final say, seeing as I've sunk about two hundred hours into this nonsense already. Sorry if I seem snippy, I've just had to deal with quite a lot of tiresome things in the course of making this set, and I would prefer if no one was unnecessarily pushy about this.

8: Criticism is also quite welcome. Again, I may ignore or debate this, explain my reasoning, or just decide to wait and see during playtesting, but it's definitely helpful (except for "what is this you're terrible", which is already quite clear and doesn't need restating).

9: Yes, Cirno has an 8 mana ability instead of a 9 mana one out of a burning desire to spite memes.

10: Last one, I swear. If you want any more info - legendaries who haven't been uploaded yet, general rarity/card type/whatever breakdown, explanation of the new keywords, themes of the set, how it's intended to work, pretty much anything, just ask here. I'm happy to answer any questions, I just figure I shouldn't write up huge walls of text unless there's some actual interest in the matter (oh look I failed that one already). I can even post up a bunch of artless cards like generic creatures if anyone's okay with just seeing raw text. Oh, and if any non-MTG players want a given card explained to them in layman's terms, I can do that too.

With that out of the way, until the set's properly done, here's a gallery of previews. Obviously far from everything and, since I kept it to cards that have art, it offers a really skewed view of the set. Still, it's something.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

I am giddy with anticipation. I want to play with those cards so bad.
    My Twitter

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    I am giddy with anticipation. I want to play with those cards so bad.
    I just wonder if anyone actually plans on playing this as something besides "no other sets, faeries only, final destination". Doesn't seem that way so far.

Then again about a dozen people want to lynch me for something or the other in this set so whatever.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    I just wonder if anyone actually plans on playing this as something besides "no other sets, faeries only, final destination". Doesn't seem that way so far.

Then again about a dozen people want to lynch me for something or the other in this set so whatever.
    I have several set ideas not involving faeries.
    My Twitter

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

I have several set ideas not involving faeries.
    Decks. I really hope you mean decks.

I mean seriously one set is a lot of work already.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Decks. I really hope you mean decks.

I mean seriously one set is a lot of work already.
    No, I mean sets.

The first one is an entire set of Yukari in different outfits. Yes, her dresses change her powers.

Of course I mean decks. Only crazy people make sets.
    Last edited by Volatar; 2012-05-24 at 01:45 PM.
    My Twitter

23. - Top - End - #563
    Orc in the Playground

Colour me interested. It's been a while since I played Magic, and this looks like the perfect excuse to remedy that.

Looking at the previews, I absolutely looooove Hina's design. Spin, Hina, spin! Same goes for Kogasa and Remi. Now, for some minor text nitpicking and various comments:

Spoiler
    Show
    Mokou's first ability needs some templating (should be "it deals" instead of "deal", unless you really want the source of the damage to be the player, and I don't even know if that's possible!).

Shou's tap ability doesn't need to specify that you gain life, since Lifelink covers that. Unless the idea was to gain that life twice, of course.

I've always seen Tewi's second ability starting with the words "Choose one:", dunno if this has changed recently. Still, it's just standard templating and it should work fine as is.

Yuyuko's ability probably needs "...under your control" at the end.

What does Suika's and Yuugi's Drunken 3 do?

It's kind of funny how Aya and Hatate would work wonderfully well together in a deck. Throw in a Pandemonium-like effect and... *drools*

If Nue's "discard a card" is part of the Morph cost, it should appear before the reminder text.

Lol Sanae+Giant Catfish deck. Johnny senses tingling hard.

Seriously looking forward to seeing the whole set. A few cards look darn overpowered at first sight, but I guess it will all more-or-less balance itself when seeing the whole picture.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've played MtG extensively in the past, have done my own MtG homebrewing, and have tackled some individual Touhou cards in the past. So while I don't currently have time to go over all of them, I'll be happy to look at them and comment during the five-day weekend I have coming up.
    In the meantime, while I appreciate the desire to show off cool art, it would be preferable to use the regular card layout on most cards over the full-art one. It makes the text really hard to read on a lot of cards, especially ones with brightly-colored art (it also takes away a bit of the 'special' feel of the layout frame, but that's minor).
    Some trivial preliminary thoughts:
    -I really like the choice of the Avatar creature type for gods and related creatures.
    -Introducing the Youkai type doesn't seem fully necessary since there's already the Spirit type, which also got used in Kamigawa. If the concern is that Spirit should be used for dead ghosts specifically, the MtG conception of the Elemental type is probably closer to what Youkai are in Japanese folklore proper. That said, this isn't a big issue.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

No, wait...

26. - Top - End - #566

Cogwheel, gimme a poke if you want help finding art for anything.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Cogwheel, gimme a poke if you want help finding art for anything.
    He desperately needs art for generics.
    My Twitter

28. - Top - End - #568

He desperately needs art for generics.
    What's a generic?

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    What's a generic?
    All the non-special character creatures, instants and sorceries, those sorts of things. The ones that aren't main Touhou characters (who are all Legendaries in this set).
    My Twitter

30. - Top - End - #570

All the non-special character creatures, instants and sorceries, those sorts of things. The ones that aren't main Touhou characters (who are all Legendaries in this set).
    Got any idea of what the names of the missing art cards are?