New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

Yukari is an excellent mixed wall, but hell to train. I've got one in my current team, and she literally needs almost twice as many XP to level as some other Touhous. She can indeed pull Rest+Sleeptalk. Metronome is fun, but I'm led to think that another approach than STalking is more optimal. I don't have any experience with STers, though, so it's possible my ineptness at the tactic coloured my experiences.

Hourai and Shanghai both evolve into Goliath. In each case, Goliath is mainly a physical tank with high Def and Atk, the difference comes mainly from movesets and the attacks she learned before evolving. Hourai's moveset lends itself more towards defense and support, while Shanghai's goes straight for bulky sweeping. IIRC, Shanghai even gets Dragon Dance. Hourai in turn gets Wish and a defensive buff or two.

Yorihime is a mixed sweeper, and while good at it, the sisters aren't nearly as broken in 1.8 as they're in Aqua/Yui. Gyokuto is Reisen II, and I have no idea what she does either. Parsee is, IIRC, indeed an annoyer, your estimate of Komachi is correct as well. Ran is, as far as I know, mostly a quick physical sweeper.
    On Flan, I think her stone evolutions are most interesting. SFlan is an extremely fast mixed sweeper, while AFlan is Overkill Incarnate.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    Snip
    I'll train the L27 Shanghai and ignore Hourai, then... what's Wish, though?

As for Yorihime, I'm just going by the fact that in the preceding fight, Yorihime very nearly wiped out my entire team single-handedly. Remarkably powerful, as far as I can tell, but no, not broken.

If I train Yukari, it won't be for an ST build... and yes, I think I'll wait for the national dex before catching Flandre.

Incidentally, is there any sort of online capability on this?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    I'll train the L27 Shanghai and ignore Hourai, then... what's Wish, though?
    Wish spends a turn and two turns later heals the currently active Touhoumon.

As for Yorihime, I'm just going by the fact that in the preceding fight, Yorihime very nearly wiped out my entire team single-handedly. Remarkably powerful, as far as I can tell, but no, not broken.
    Ah, yes. I remember tearing through the Dojo... and then suddenly lvl 45 Watatsukis.

Incidentally, is there any sort of online capability on this?
    Well, there's the wiki I linked, as well as the now apparently complete Touhoudex on Touhou Wiki. I typically use the Japanese wiki as the definitive source for base stats and abilities, but I don't actually read Moonrunes very well, so I need to check Touhou Wiki for moves (since I couldn't find a movelist for 1.8 on the Jap wiki). However, I haven't looked at either in a long while, so maybe there's an updated movelist now.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2011-03-31 at 04:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    Well, there's the wiki I linked, as well as the now apparently complete Touhoudex on Touhou Wiki. I typically use the Japanese wiki as the definitive source for base stats and abilities, but I don't actually read Moonrunes very well, so I need to check Touhou Wiki for moves (since I couldn't find a movelist for 1.8 on the Jap wiki). However, I haven't looked at either in a long while, so maybe there's an updated movelist now.
    Oh. Sorry if that was unclear. I was asking if there's any way to actually play against/trade with others using the hack.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just posting these Remilia =/= Charisma Break piccies before the topic becomes irrelevant.
    ☢CAUTION☢ massive image dump inbound.
    Spoiler
    Show

And this(Note: Miscast_Mage will not be held responsible for loss of time, sanity, and/or purity as a result of searching for danbooru or any works located within it) comic seems to portray Remi as quite the badass.

Here(Note: See previous disclaimer) also portray's Remi as charismatic, but it's not a comic that focuses on her.

Also, does the DA: Origins thread title "You sneaky witch-thief!" reminds anyone else of a certain troublesome black-white with a penchant for "borrowing" books?

Hmm, all this talk of Touhoumon makes me want to get into it. Is it easy-ish for beginners to pick up?(I haven't played a pokemon title since I was little kid).

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    Hmm, all this talk of Touhoumon makes me want to get into it. Is it easy-ish for beginners to pick up?(I haven't played a pokemon title since I was little kid).
    Well, it's a Pokemon game. So, storyline/plotline-wise, it's very easy to just do whatever you want and almost always come out on top. It's only if you want to get into player-vs-player battles that you'll need to know the numbers of the game. I don't think I've tried the 1.8 version (and have no idea which one I have), but it's quite simple in my opinion. The only problem I really had was trying to figure out what types everyone was, since some of them aren't too obvious.

Also, ChaRemilia (yeah that wasn't working) Charismatic Remilia seems to enjoy sitting.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

It does seem like she does.

Also, thanks everyone. Looking over what you showed of Remi did help me sort out what I feel about her and I think my conclusion is that she's a character with a lot of potential that the fanbase isn't using well. So I know the general direction I'd take if I were to RP as her or write a story for her and certainly think that would make her appealing, but as it is I'm still not too fond of most fan portrayals. Some of the ones linked were still really good, though. I found the Reisen vs. Remilia doujin pretty hilarious in that ridiculous, mindless Hellsing kind of way, even if I wonder what was up with Reisen's ears.

8. - Top - End - #68

@ElfieFlare: What queen doesn't like her throne?

And as long as I can actually see my stats and what they do, I guess I'll be fine. One the things that bugs me to no end is when in videogames I'm given the choice between option A and option B without any indication of the mechanical differences between them. Arghle.

@Terraoblivion: Yeah, Remi's one of my more liked characters, so it's annoying that the moe-blob type Remi is more apparant in the fandom. Personally I loved Eirin and Sakuya in that doujin, simply because you rarely see portrayals of Eirin like that(or anything other than "Lol experimenting tiem"), and Sakuya deserves portrayals fitting her title of Perfect and Elegant Maid.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

And as long as I can actually see my stats and what they do, I guess I'll be fine. One the things that bugs me to no end is when in videogames I'm given the choice between option A and option B without any indication of the mechanical differences between them. Arghle.
    Not sure how recent the last game you played was, but take note that since this is based on FireRed/LeafGreen, the attacking stats still follow the old category split. If you don't remember, here is something to refresh your memory. (In that box listing all of the types, the left column is physical, judged by Attack, and the right is special, judged by Special Attack.) Also take note that the game also has changes for moves; some no longer exist, some did not exist in the originals, and some are just renamed versions of pre-existing moves.

If my interpretation of the last part is correct, I believe there are one or two parts where that happens. Off the top of my head, I can name picking a fossil and choosing one of a pair in Saffron; neither choice is likely to affect your game, seeing as by the time you can actually access either of them, you're likely to already have a dedicated party. Another thing that personally annoyed me was the huge number of branching evolution paths, some of which aren't immediately obtainable.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2011-03-31 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Quoting failure

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Dammit, all this talk of Touhoumon makes me want to replay the current one. Maybe I'll use Nazrin or Nitori...

At one point, I attempted to edit the Touhoumon section of the Touhou Wikia page to include the new things from 1.8. I had gotten a box going that had the strengths and weaknesses of all the new types, and then someone had to come along and "rearrange" the order of them, effectively ruining what work I had already done. I hate it when people think they're helping when they aren't.

Come to think of it, I hadn't touched that page since the edit. I'm wondering if it's been fixed at all... I'll be sad if it hasn't. :I
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

@Terraoblivion: Yeah, Remi's one of my more liked characters, so it's annoying that the moe-blob type Remi is more apparant in the fandom. Personally I loved Eirin and Sakuya in that doujin, simply because you rarely see portrayals of Eirin like that(or anything other than "Lol experimenting tiem"), and Sakuya deserves portrayals fitting her title of Perfect and Elegant Maid.
    As a fan of both Remi and Byakuren, I feel your pain, man. Sometimes this fandom makes me facepalm

12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Some of the ones linked were still really good, though. I found the Reisen vs. Remilia doujin pretty hilarious in that ridiculous, mindless Hellsing kind of way, even if I wonder what was up with Reisen's ears.
    I - what

Now I have to check those links...

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    As a fan of both Remi and Byakuren, I feel your pain, man. Sometimes this fandom makes me facepalm
    Sturgeon's Law, Drascin. Nothing is safe from it. But I can't really count any portrayals of Byakuren as anything other than a saintly monk, apart from the odd "Namusan!" joke. She really doesn't get it as bad as others. And speaking of said joke...(Littleshrimp's work have an 80% what. consistancy, therefore, he's immune from any canon personality.)

@Kaimasei: Doooo iiiiit. And check out the artists gallery, while you're at it. Everyone he and/or she draws is charismatic.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyFoxMan View Post
    Dammit, all this talk of Touhoumon makes me want to replay the current one. Maybe I'll use Nazrin or Nitori...

At one point, I attempted to edit the Touhoumon section of the Touhou Wikia page to include the new things from 1.8. I had gotten a box going that had the strengths and weaknesses of all the new types, and then someone had to come along and "rearrange" the order of them, effectively ruining what work I had already done. I hate it when people think they're helping when they aren't.

Come to think of it, I hadn't touched that page since the edit. I'm wondering if it's been fixed at all... I'll be sad if it hasn't. :I
    I haven't looked at it in detail for a while, but the 1.8 Touhoudex seems to be mostly complete now. I contributed a fair number of base stats and Ability entries (straight from the Japanese wiki) myself.

I guess I really should get back to playing.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

@Kaimasei: Doooo iiiiit. And check out the artists gallery, while you're at it. Everyone he and/or she draws is charismatic.
    Okay seriously what was with those ears.

What.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

(Littleshrimp's work have an 80% what. consistancy, therefore, he's immune from any canon personality.)
    And the one that you posted is already one of the more "sensible" ones as it is, being a parody. Some of the others are just pure What. with nothing else, in my opinion, but that's arguably what the appeal is for most people. Good artist for laughs though.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Just played Hisoutensoku netplay with a friend using Tunngle and Skype. Man was that fun and crazy. He was far better than me, and could beat me playing anyone when he played Remilia.

So, we evened the playing field by both hitting random.

So much fun and hilarity.

*Suddenly shoots laser beam* "Woah, that was awesome, how did you do that?" "I have no idea. I was just mashing buttons."
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Just played Hisoutensoku netplay with a friend using Tunngle and Skype. Man was that fun and crazy. He was far better than me, and could beat me playing anyone when he played Remilia.

So, we evened the playing field by both hitting random.

So much fun and hilarity.

*Suddenly shoots laser beam* "Woah, that was awesome, how did you do that?" "I have no idea. I was just mashing buttons."
    This. This is what I love about fighting games. Damn, I really need to get into Hisoutensoku. Maybe during the summer when I don't have a pile of projects to work through.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Netplay, you say?

Excuse me while I seethe with envy.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, look what I found.

It's a flash danmaku which pretty clearly draws inspiration from the Touhou series. Not all that difficult, but if you, like me, are going nuts waiting for the Touhou 13 demo, this might help scratch that particular itch.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, that was pretty fun. I still feel a twinge of shame at having to upgrade Health.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Gamer cancels life, interrupted by Dwarf Fortress.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Netplay, you say?

Excuse me while I seethe with envy.
    Have you tried Tunngle?
    Last edited by Volatar; 2011-04-02 at 11:25 PM.
    My Twitter

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Have you tried Tunngle?
    Tried what now?

As I understand it, netplay makes Hisoutensoku lag horribly if you play across any sort of significant distance.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Tried what now?

As I understand it, netplay makes Hisoutensoku lag horribly if you play across any sort of significant distance.
    It's like Hamachi but specifically for gaming. My pings have always been great with it. It's worth a try :)
    My Twitter

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

It's like Hamachi but specifically for gaming. My pings have always been great with it. It's worth a try :)
    I've started it, got an account, and seen a huge list of irrelevant lobbies. My mind is full of boggle.

Help?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Never mind!

I got it working and, while Tunngle is temperamental at first, it's pretty flawless after that, as far as the lag side of things goes.

The bad news is that thanks to KBF, Remilia now terrifies me. As does every other character, really. He's scarily good at this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay! I have got to catch you online sometime soon then Cog. I suck though :)
    My Twitter

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Yay! I have got to catch you online sometime soon then Cog. I suck though :)
    'Sokay, so do I. KBF crushed any sort of delusions of skill I might have held.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

I am now very intrigued in this new Netplay tool. Once I get it working, anyone up for a few games either today or tomorrow since I have some free time? I will do my best to not crush any sort of delusions of skill.

Of course, with how inept I am with technology, expect me to end up spending said free time figuring out how to make this work...

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be around tomorrow and might be able to walk you through it.

Alternatively I could make a video guide.
    My Twitter