New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

Just gave Reimu a quick whirl. Is it just me, or is her supermode freaking Fantasy Heaven?

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    The blue blobs, or spirits, are used to charge up ghost mode, while the purple ones give pieces of extra lives and the green ones bomb pieces. The ghost mode seems to power you up and probably increases the gain from the spirits. In addition to triggering on death, you can also toggle it on with C apparently. This is pretty much the full extent of my knowledge of how the gameplay works beyond the obvious.
    Figured out purple and green ones myself ;) Also it's not the blue spirits that charge up the ghost mode - it's the grey ones. And pressing C doesn't seem to toggle it - pity as it'd be quite usefull.
    Three are the paths of soul:
    One out - roam across the plain,
    One back - dwell with the tribe and tent,
    One in - turn an enemy's hate.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    They say people do crazy things for love...unfortunately, I'm not in love, and I'm still crazy!

Avatar by CoffeeIncluded. Finally giving credit where due, and it only took me 20 pages of search

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

C turns it on, but only if you've already got a fully charged hyper ready. Unless you were talking about turning it off again once it's started, there's no way to do that, yeah.

(Did I ever mention that Daioujou has hypers? And that Daioujou players are considerably more manly and charming than Touhou players, due to the less abundant lives/less generous bomb mechanics in that game? Because I'd just like to put that out there.)
    (ELITISM ELITISM ELITISM)
    Last edited by SparkMandriller; 2011-04-15 at 03:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SparkMandriller View Post
    C turns it on, but only if you've already got a fully charged hyper ready. Unless you were talking about turning it off again once it's started, there's no way to do that, yeah.

(Did I ever mention that Daioujou has hypers? And that Daioujou players are considerably more manly and charming than Touhou players, due to the less abundant lives/less generous bomb mechanics in that game? Because I'd just like to put that out there.)
    (ELITISM ELITISM ELITISM)
    Eh, DaiOujou's not bad, started playing it recently. Fourth boss is a pain in the neck, though, can't seem to get past it. It's at least much better than its prequel, which was aggressively boring.

Also, thanks for the info on mechanics, Terra .

5. - Top - End - #215

Wait, she's echo? As in... the law of physics, echo? Or there's some type of spirit called an echo? And is it bad that my mind worked around to ping and now I want ZUN to include a ping youkai at some point? Network spirits, anyone?

I also don't remember being able to toggle the super-mode with C. I'll try again later to confirm, and I'm hoping you can, because honestly, it's a little less useful when you have to die to use it. >_>

And yeah, Yoshika's(I'm assuming that's her first name, but I think ZUN used western naming convention at first, then switched to japanese style, so... yeah, not too sure about that, though Miyako sounds more like a first name anyway.) whole regenerating thing... I lost two continues to her. On normal. Playing as Youmu is encouraging me way too much to run up and slash the enemies in the face. Seriously, I don't think I've shotgunned this much thoughout the entire Touhou series combined.

Oh, and someone added on the touhou wiki that Kyouko is a Yamabiko, apparently, as Terraoblivion described.

6. - Top - End - #216

Oh damn, now I have to get a new game that you haven't played so I can feel superior. One you're less likely to have access to.

So anyway I was playing Otomedius G the other day, which as we all know is a fantastic game and well suited to connoisseurs such as myself, and hahaha oh man I can't keep this up that game is shocking.

(also my strategy on the fourth boss is to bomb everything and then when he does his last attack get really close so the laserbomb aura hits the spinning things and does damage to them too.)
    (this is not a great strategy and you probably shouldn't follow it.)

On further reflection this game seems like it'll be awful memorisation city to figure out the best spots to hyper to get the most outta those ghosts. Kinda sucks. Like having to figure out all the places to bomb in 10 and 11, except now you need to do it to get more bombs/lives, too, oh man. So that kinda sucks.

7. - Top - End - #217

Yeah, I was a little worried about memorisation too, but as long as the game isn't so difficult that I have to resort to memorisation, then I wouldn't worry about it. As long as I can clear it, I'm happy. Because then I can unlock the EX stage where memorisation is easier due to having twice the difficulty of the whole game crammed into a single level! YaaayOh Goddess kill me now. Kill me and everyone in a five mile radius if it's anything like UFO's EX stage.

Oh, and another game...? I... uh... Umm... Mars Rising?
    ...Oh spoosh me, now I want to go play that again. >_>

Hmm, random thought: The way Youmu has her own little style gives me an idea. I've been planning on messing around with Danmakufu during the summer(Though I'm a little spooshed off because my course doesn't teach C++ untill next year so I'll have to adapt from Java on my own), and creating player scripts with variations like this, as opposed to just a slightly different speed/shot-type/bomb, would be pretty good practice, and actually sounds pretty fun. I may mess around with Danmakufu before then, and I'll end up posting any tinkerings of mine here either way, if anyone's interested. And yes I'll be posting the scripts over at Maidens of the Kaleidoscope as well, before anyone mentions that. I really need to create an account there sooner or later.
    Last edited by Miscast_Mage; 2011-04-15 at 04:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I've been talking with a friend who's well versed in Chinese folklore. Apparently, Jiang Shi are sealed because they eat souls, or rather, Chi. Through... the mouth.

I have now added MeilingxMiyako to my long list of ships.

9. - Top - End - #219

...Why did I not make that connection? Then again, Chi isn't the first thing that pops into my head when I think of Meiling. It's more gatekeeping and punching people in a world where volleys of magical bullets are the norm. Besides, aren't soul-eating monster-things usually depicted as eating said souls with their mouths?

And why are you shipping already?! And long is this list?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    ...Why did I not make that connection? Then again, Chi isn't the first thing that pops into my head when I think of Meiling. It's more gatekeeping and punching people in a world where volleys of magical bullets are the norm. Besides, aren't soul-eating monster-things usually depicted as eating said souls with their mouths?
    No, I mean 'mouth-to-mouth' eating.

11. - Top - End - #221

Again, isn't that common? I've seen the whole "sucking out someone's soul" depicted as through the victims mouth more times than not. Though directly on the mouth I'll admit is rarer outside of obviously-bad-so-it-shoves-in-as-much-fanservice-as-possible things.

...And now I can't stop thinking about the power perversion potential of Touhou powers. Thanks.
    In case you're wondering(EoSD cast only... for now >:3c)
    • Rumia: Some people like it with the lights switched off.
    • Cirno: I remember skimming through a Men's Health magazine that recommended using ice-lollies for... certain purposes in the bedroom. Cirno could replicate that, and then some.
    • Hong Meiling: Surely you can think of something unwholesome with as broad a power as "Control of Qi"
    • Sakuya: If you can't think of anything to do with time manipulation, you fail.
    • Patchouli: ...I'm just gonna say magic for this. Also, Koakuma.
    • Remilia: Vampire loli. 'Nuff said.
    • Flan: Same as above, but for (immortal)masochists and/or suicidal people.

Ignoring Daiyousei because she doesn't really have any powers that we know of... except kinda-teleportation? You could probably do something kinky with that.

Edit: Forgot link to appropriate tvtropes page Super happy fun page that you should check out because it'll only take a second!
    Bwahaha! I R EVULZ!! >:3
    Last edited by Miscast_Mage; 2011-04-15 at 05:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

...And now I can't stop thinking about the power perversion potential of Touhou powers. Thanks.
    In case you're wondering(EoSD cast only... for now >:3c)
    • Rumia: Some people like it with the lights switched off.
    • Cirno: I remember skimming through a Men's Health magazine that recommended using ice-lollies for... certain purposes in the bedroom. Cirno could replicate that, and then some.
    • Hong Meiling: Surely you can think of something unwholesome with as broad a power as "Control of Qi"
    • Sakuya: If you can't think of anything to do with time manipulation, you fail.
    • Patchouli: ...I'm just gonna say magic for this. Also, Koakuma.
    • Remilia: Vampire loli. 'Nuff said.
    • Flan: Same as above, but for (immortal)masochists and/or suicidal people.

Ignoring Daiyousei because she doesn't really have any powers that we know of... except kinda-teleportation? You could probably do something kinky with that.

Edit: Forgot link to appropriate tvtropes page Super happy fun page that you should check out because it'll only take a second!
    Now that you mention it, TVTropes did originally have a page entirely for Touhou under "Fetish Fuel." There are a lot more ideas where those came from...

Incidentally, what used to be that page has actually been turned into an entire Wikia site.
    Youmu "Myon" Konpaku avatar by Prime32, avatar creator extraordinaire!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    So I've been talking with a friend who's well versed in Chinese folklore. Apparently, Jiang Shi are sealed because they eat souls, or rather, Chi. Through... the mouth.
    Also, you can only defeat them by taking a mushroom from a graveyard, putting it in their left sock, and throwing it into a river. Jackie Chan Adventures would not lie to me.

And Miyako is Kanako's daughter, obviously.

I'm calling Ms. Echo's fanon personality as "likes to appear smarter than she is".
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-04-15 at 08:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Again, isn't that common? I've seen the whole "sucking out someone's soul" depicted as through the victims mouth more times than not. Though directly on the mouth I'll admit is rarer outside of obviously-bad-so-it-shoves-in-as-much-fanservice-as-possible things.
    True enough.
    In another vein, why did I not think of this?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Banned

Orin is taking her home!
    It just appears like she's carting the corpse off, but in reality she's taking her off for...other stuff.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2011-04-16 at 08:12 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Take a look at the Ten Desires art for Reimu and Sanae. Particularly at their shoulders.

You can panic now.

EDIT:
    So divine spirits are basically baby gods born from strong desires... and the incident is being caused by someone's strong desire to be resurrected so they can have revenge?

...nah.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-04-16 at 01:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Take a look at the Ten Desires art for Reimu and Sanae. Particularly at their shoulders.

You can panic now.
    Those sleeves look as detached as they've ever been, as far as I can tell. Nothing to panic about. The armpits are eternal and unchanging.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

You can panic now.

EDIT:
    So divine spirits are basically baby gods born from strong desires... and the incident is being caused by someone's strong desire to be resurrected so they can have revenge?

...nah.
    Heh. ZUN is such a tease.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by Prime32; 2011-04-16 at 05:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Firbolg in the Playground

Heh, those pictures are missing.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Heh, those pictures are missing.
    Sure, internet, cut out after I've deleted the old versions but before I've uploaded the new ones. Should be okay now.

To make up for it...
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-04-16 at 06:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

So apparently the zombie girl's power is the ability to eat anything and everything.

I can just see fan works with her (Miyako?) and Yuyuko just devouring everything in sight. Possibly ending with them trying to eat each other.

23. - Top - End - #233

I've played my 12.3 match with Dis, won 2-0. Replays here. Was pretty laggy, but they were fun matches.
    Last edited by KBF; 2011-04-17 at 04:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

24. - Top - End - #234

Huh, just made another connection between Meiling and Miyako(or Yoshika... Okay, I'm just calling her Corpsey untill I figure out which is her first name); Look at their hats, and realise that they're both from China(or Corpsy's case, she's a Jiang Shi, a chinese zombie, at least).

Also, scrounging around for fan-art on Corpsey, and I think this is my favourite piece so far(cause, y'know, she is a Jiang Shi), though I have to admit this one is pretty cute.

Oh, and does anyone else notice the plot between games slowlying coming together since MOF? Kanako was responsible for Utsuho getting her power in SA(and Koishi was visiting Moriya Shrine so it works both ways, I guess), the events of SA freed Murasa who was responsible for UFO, and now the UFO crew could be tied to whoever's responsible for TD. Make's me wonder what the TD crew are going to be responsible for.

Also, I like that the heroines are actually going and asking specific people now, as opposed to randomly flying off and beating up whoever crosses their path.

One more also; reading the translated dialogue/prologue, anyone think that Mima may make an appearance, possibly as a final/ex/(phantasm?) boss? I'm not saying she's likely to appear, but the circumstances would be a good excuse for ZUN to bring her back for a visit, if not solely to shut up the people constantly asking for her.

Edit: Just noticed, in Reimu's dialogue she comments that Corpsey has a good complexion for a zombie, or something along those alongs. ZUN nodding at the "Zombie Reimu" joke from MoF?
    Last edited by Miscast_Mage; 2011-04-18 at 06:03 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually I think the zombie girl is Yoshika. Miyako is the other one.

See, this is why I can't have nice things.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

So, on the topic of Touhou 13... I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's deliriously happy that ZUN brought back Kogasa.
    Fluttershy in the Playground. I'm okay with this.

Oh yeah, also: Follow me in my current Screenshot LP of Pokémon Liquid Crystal! (Now probably a lost cause, since the original thread is over six months old, if not longer!)

It's Pants, the Musical Superstar!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

So, having read the translated stuff on the wiki, I have a question for those whose skills in Japanese are better than mine (in other words, "better than zero").

The word that has been translated as "Yahoo!" in reference to Kyoko and her spellcards... is it possible to translate that as yodeling? Because that seems to work really well with a singing mountain youkai... and gives me an excuse to entertain the mental image of a youkai in lederhosen
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eliirae View Post

No, the zombie girl is both Miyako and Yoshika (that is, her name is Yoshika Miyako). The question is which is the first name and which is the last name, as both can be first names and the order ZUN writes names in varies, AFAIK. The echo girl is named Kyouko.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2011-04-18 at 02:02 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

I was also pleasantly surprised by Kogasa's appearance, so that'd be two.
    I also like how the spirit mechanic encourages moving about. Haven't played as anyone but Youmu yet (and i'm still terrible at this type of game), been busy :
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd go with Yoshika as her name, but anything is better than another case of 'China', really.

Edit: fixed broken image. Imageshack misplaced the original one somehow.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2011-04-22 at 11:16 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Eliirae View Post

Yoshika Miyako is the zombie, Kyouko Kasodani is the echo girl with the odd ears. Spoosh it, i'm just going to follow how it's written on the wiki, so Yoshika and Kyouko I shall call them. Unless of course, I failed a wisdom check and you were poking fun at yourself confusing the names too.

Pre-post edit: Curse you, associate! When did you take a level in ninja?

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyFoxMan View Post
    So, on the topic of Touhou 13... I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's deliriously happy that ZUN brought back Kogasa.
    It was a rather pleasant surprise, yes.

Bero-bero-baa~ :P

Post-post edit: Gah, another ninja? One who put points into Craft:(Claywork)? Great clay zombie-girl, by the way. Though the hat strikes me as a little big...
    Last edited by Miscast_Mage; 2011-04-18 at 02:16 PM.