New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    Yoshika Miyako is the zombie, Kyouko Kasodani is the echo girl with the odd ears. Spoosh it, i'm just going to follow how it's written on the wiki, so Yoshika and Kyouko I shall call them. Unless of course, I failed a wisdom check and you were poking fun at yourself confusing the names too.
    That's exactly what I was doing.

And it also turns out that both times I was wrong. This is why I REALLY can't have nice things!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Pixie in the Playground

Had my match with Volatar. I won, 2-0. I'm just glad he didn't crush me like he did that swingset!

Replays: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11911775/fil...ar%20Match.rar

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCEPoRJI-4

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Huh, just made another connection between Meiling and Miyako(or Yoshika... Okay, I'm just calling her Corpsey untill I figure out which is her first name); Look at their hats, and realise that they're both from China(or Corpsy's case, she's a Jiang Shi, a chinese zombie, at least).
    And in another instance of ZUN doing his homework and possibly wanting to reference something:

"According to the backstory of Night Warriors, Hsien-Ko was born around the 1730s with a twin named Mei-Ling. During this time, ghosts and spirits of the dead arose from their resting places and attacked a rural Chinese village. [snip]

This turned the twins into a jiāngshī (僵屍 "stiff corpse"), a type of Chinese zombie."

The origin in question is apparently the story for Hsien-Ko from Capcom's Darkstalkers.
    Youmu "Myon" Konpaku avatar by Prime32, avatar creator extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    And in another instance of ZUN doing his homework and possibly wanting to reference something:

"According to the backstory of Night Warriors, Hsien-Ko was born around the 1730s with a twin named Mei-Ling. During this time, ghosts and spirits of the dead arose from their resting places and attacked a rural Chinese village. [snip]

This turned the twins into a jiāngshī (僵屍 "stiff corpse"), a type of Chinese zombie."

The origin in question is apparently the story for Hsien-Ko from Capcom's Darkstalkers.
    He does tend to throw in a bunch of "no, I'm a drunk scholar" moments, doesn't he?
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

So after my horrible defeat at the hands of Seraphian, we played a couple more fun matches.

First match, he told me he would show me how to play Sakuya. I picked Yukari to face him. I wish I had used Yukari earlier after what happened

So then the second match he wanted it to be Sakuya vs Sakuya.

I liked the outcome again

Recorded both matches and uploaded them here, with an appropriate version of Luna Dial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObxI_mhRS50
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    So after my horrible defeat at the hands of Seraphian, we played a couple more fun matches.

First match, he told me he would show me how to play Sakuya. I picked Yukari to face him. I wish I had used Yukari earlier after what happened

So then the second match he wanted it to be Sakuya vs Sakuya.

I liked the outcome again

Recorded both matches and uploaded them here, with an appropriate version of Luna Dial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObxI_mhRS50
    1. How do you get those replays on to Youtube?

2. Let me show you how to play Yukari some time

By which I mean some neat moves you overlooked, not general playstyle.

I often use Yukari to train people, though. You've been warned.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2011-04-19 at 11:45 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    1. How do you get those replays on to Youtube?
    Pretty simple really.

1) Get the full version of Fraps
    2) Set game to not play music, play Replay, record with Fraps
    3) Open files in Windows Movie Maker
    4) Add Music
    5) Publish -> For Computer
    6) Upload resulting file to Youtube

2. Let me show you how to play Yukari some time

By which I mean some neat moves you overlooked, not general playstyle.

Sure! I need to spend some time reading the Wiki and messing with my spellcard decks anyways. I am still running default spellcard decks on everyone.
    Last edited by Volatar; 2011-04-19 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

"Train" in the sense of "improve the opponent's abilities and technique through practice", or in the sense of "hit the opponent with several tons of high-velocity metal"? With any other character I would know the answer, but with Yukari you never know...
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post
    "Train" in the sense of "improve the opponent's abilities and technique through practice", or in the sense of "hit the opponent with several tons of high-velocity metal"? With any other character I would know the answer, but with Yukari you never know...
    If you can dodge a train, you can dodge a ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    HATE. LOTS OF HATE. DIRECTED AT YOU, DRIZVOLTA. OH GOD MY MIND.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Well, I think the solution is clear. Don't download Steam if you don't have legs.
    Thank you Prime32 for the Rumia avatar!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post

I remember coming across a tidbit of Hsien-Ko's backstory before, isn't her sister Mei-Ling now the ofuda charm on her head? Something like she's the mind(or spirit, I can't remember), and Hsien-Ko is the body?

Anyway, I think this may be the first Touhou/Madoka crossover involving the new characters. Some artists work pretty fast. /(◕‿‿◕)\

Also, relevant to previous discussions comparing Meiling and Yoshika, and Yuyuko and Yoshika.((Note: Miscast_Mage will not be held responsible for loss of time, sanity, and/or purity as a result of searching for safebooru/danbooru(the last link, due to translation notes) or any works located within it))

And is it just me, or is anyone else hoping to see TD's final/ex boss as some sort of necromancer? Hell, even more undead characters that aren't ghosts would be nice...Hmm, a skeleton might be a bit hard to do, a zombie would be rudundant with a Jiang-shi, vampires have already been done... Huh. I can't actually think of any non-ghosty undead to be included. o_O

@Drizvolta: Really, at the end of the day, they're the same thing.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Pretty simple really.

1) Get the full version of Fraps
    2) Set game to not play music, play Replay, record with Fraps
    3) Open files in Windows Movie Maker
    4) Add Music
    5) Publish -> For Computer
    6) Upload resulting file to Youtube
    Ah. I don't have the full version or, in fact, any version of Fraps. That's that shot down, then.

I am still running default spellcard decks on everyone.
    Well. That must be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post
    Congratulations, you got it.

Basically, several people have asked me for Hisoutensoku training since I started using Tunngle. This is what happened to all of them.

All the training they'll ever need.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

And is it just me, or is anyone else hoping to see TD's final/ex boss as some sort of necromancer? Hell, even more undead characters that aren't ghosts would be nice...Hmm, a skeleton might be a bit hard to do, a zombie would be rudundant with a Jiang-shi, vampires have already been done... Huh. I can't actually think of any non-ghosty undead to be included. o_O
    Perhaps... an evil spirit?
    Spoiler
    Show

Kasen could be another candidate.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

That or Rin stuffs the entire cast in a giant wheelbarrow and calls it a day.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

14. - Top - End - #254
    Banned

And chances are it is someone we totally don't know. I still hope for Mima as the final boss and Kasen as the ex-boss, though.

15. - Top - End - #255

Spoiler
    Show

I asked earlier who's considering the possibility of it being Mima-er, whoops. Sorry. *Ahem* MIMAAAAAA~ Hmm... Mima as a phantasm boss? We still get a new final and ex boss, but we also bring back Mima. But then we encroach on Yukari's title as the phantasm boss of the series... hmph.

Kasen would be a nice surprise too, but I honestly have no idea about her to make a judgement here(her ability "is a secret", apparantly? That seems more like it'll come up in Wild and Horned Hermit as a deus ex machina or something along those lines).

Personally, I think I'd like a new character all-together, because Touhou can never have enough characters. Also still hoping for a necromancer-loli of some sort here. >_>

Also, is anyone else curious if ZUN is going to do anything clever with the fact that this is Touhou 13? I wouldn't normally ask, but it's the number 13, which carries some connotations with it. Look at what he did with 8: turn it in it's side, and you get infinity. The Imperishable, or infinite Night. Add in that the final/ex bosses are immortal, or infinite in life. Also consider the similarities between eight and night, and not just in english; I remember either someone commenting or a doujin about how similiar eight and night are in a lot of languages.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Also, is anyone else curious if ZUN is going to do anything clever with the fact that this is Touhou 13? I wouldn't normally ask, but it's the number 13, which carries some connotations with it. Look at what he did with 8: turn it in it's side, and you get infinity. The Imperishable, or infinite Night. Add in that the final/ex bosses are immortal, or infinite in life. Also consider the similarities between eight and night, and not just in english; I remember either someone commenting or a doujin about how similiar eight and night are in a lot of languages.
    That wasn't a doujin, that was Rinnosuke.

Not mentioned, of course, is that Yukari was the 8th boss of the 8th game to contain Touhou characters, and the only 8th boss at that. Also if there are seven colours in a rainbow there are eight boundaries between them.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-04-19 at 03:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Banned

Hmmm, did you include Seihou to reach that number, Prime? Because PCB is the seventh Touhou game in order of release. IaMP was the eighth and IN was the ninth, though due to odd numbering IaMP is numbered 7.5 and IN 8.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Hmmm, did you include Seihou to reach that number, Prime? Because PCB is the seventh Touhou game in order of release. IaMP was the eighth and IN was the ninth, though due to odd numbering IaMP is numbered 7.5 and IN 8.
    Yes.

19. - Top - End - #259

Ah, thank you! It was bugging me that I couldn't remember where that was from.

And oh. My. Froggy loli curse-goddess with pyonta-hat. I never really liked Lunate Elf before, it was just plain average and unremarkable all round. A Soul as Red as an Oni's Lantern(odd, I could have sworn it was called A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry ) has a quirky nostalgia to it(probably because EoSD was the first game I played, admitedly) and Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea has a certain... burst of energy to it that Lunate Elf was lacking. but then I came across this remix of it, and I've had it repeat for 20 minutes now and now I'm starting to build a stage-and-boss idea around it for when I start messing with danmakufu.

Has anyone else come across a remix of a song you didn't like that just blew you away before?

If anyone is curious as to what the stage is...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Music has been coming from an old style spanish village, and the dead have started to rise from the grave and travel to this village to dance, following the music. The cause is a cheerful spirit who thinks there's a festival going on. She's completely oblivious to the fact that she's scared the villagers off, or that calling the dead to dance for nights on end is a bad thing, and just keeps on going with the merry-making, even seeing the heroines trying to stop her as "party-poopers who need to lighten up!" all while having a ball of a time. Hmm... This could probably be turned into a full blown incident, with a little re-working. I've also been meaning to see if I could re-create ZUN's style too, and this would be the perfect chance. Looks like I know what I'm doing when exams are over!
    Last edited by Miscast_Mage; 2011-04-19 at 07:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Firbolg in the Playground

And oh. My. Froggy loli curse-goddess with pyonta-hat. I never really liked Lunate Elf before, it was just plain average and unremarkable all round. A Soul as Red as an Oni's Lantern(odd, I could have sworn it was called A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry )
    There are much more relevant youtube vids for Ground Cherry, so I'm betting that what it is when translated.

Has anyone else come across a remix of a song you didn't like that just blew you away before?
    Nope, because I either like the original, or I'm indifferent.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

I like all of the music from the Touhou games, so the answer to that question would be no. Remixes can still blow me away, but I'm sure about which specific ones.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

22. - Top - End - #262

I personally really really like the overdrive remix. (Not Overdrive itself but the remixed version.) But that is also closer to my style of music, so.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not mentioned, of course, is that Yukari was the 8th boss of the 8th game to contain Touhou characters, and the only 8th boss at that. Also if there are seven colours in a rainbow there are eight boundaries between them.
    Rinnosuke's comparison is mildly flawed, though. All the three languages he mentions other than Japanese are related - German most likely took its words for "eight" and "night" from Latin in the first place, and English evolved from old German.

In any case... Maybe I'll have to get that Tunngle thingamajobber and get Cog to "train" me a bit. Yukari's the only character I have practiced significantly with, after all.
    Speaking of which, a question for the more dedicated Soku players. Do you use gamepads or the keyboard? I've been wondering lately if it would be easier to input 623 and similar commands on a gamepad.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    Speaking of which, a question for the more dedicated Soku players. Do you use gamepads or the keyboard? I've been wondering lately if it would be easier to input 623 and similar commands on a gamepad.
    I use a keyboard, but I think several people use gamepads. The only problem with a keyboard is that it's very easy to turn things like 623 into 236, but it becomes much less common with enough practice. Not sure how problematic that is, if at all, with other controller options.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been thinking of getting around to downloadin joy2key so I can play using my stick. Until then, I just use me keyboard.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    I've been thinking of getting around to downloadin joy2key so I can play using my stick. Until then, I just use me keyboard.
    I personally use my stick. I use xpadder, works well enough.

I never used a gamepad, though I did use a keyboard for a long while. Probably wouldn't have changed if I didn't love my stick. WASD + UIOJ had me covered.
    Last edited by KBF; 2011-04-20 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

27. - Top - End - #267

I really need to get around to playing Hisoutensoku sometime >.>

Just came across this {Scrubbed} (Note: Miscast_Mage will not be held responsible for loss of time, sanity, and/or purity as a result of searching for danbooru or any works located within it), and this Remilia.. I.. muh... gah! {Scrubbed} That boyishly-dashing nobleman hair! How she acts so refined after someone spitting a mouthful of juice in her face; we need more charismatic Remilia. I also really like the depiction of Flandre's mental state in this, too. Also has baby Utsuho among others. :3c
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-04-22 at 10:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

I played my games against EifieFlare a few moments ago. EifieFlare won 2-0. Reloads will be up when I'm feeling less lazy.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    I played my games against EifieFlare a few moments ago. EifieFlare won 2-0. Reloads will be up when I'm feeling less lazy.
    Here you go.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I got my hands on the demo of TH13 earlier, and it's pretty fun. Had to get used to not-sakuya levels of speed in focus mode, and the game as a whole seemed a little bit harder, but not unfair.

Also the zombie girl's name is Yoshika Miyako. No more getting it wrong :D