New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 1001 Bad Plot Hooks

100. You are SOOOO bored!!
    101. your cat is hungry and it needs a snack, but only a snack made of great wyrm gold dragon meat
    102. you wake up in a desert....
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaska'Agathas View Post
    Freudian slip?
    More like my reckless typing, and before you get any ideas, I wasn't the one that woke up sore.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

103. go on an epic quest to the supermarket to get the DM some beer (or candy). Can be replayed for extra XP

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

104. Get a drink of water for a thirsty dragon at an enchanted magic spring on the top of a mountain across the frozen plains.
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I wish i knew how to make this sound even better. But seriously, how can someone make it any better than HYDRALISK WITH SHADES?!
    [14:30] [RSO] DeathsHands (deathshands5): I'm good as is. Moral anchor for the party.
    [14:30] [RSO] DeathsHands (deathshands5): Sure, he could be insightful, but I was distracted by the demon ass and forgot the rest of my sentence.
    [14:31] [RSO] Arkalark (arkanepriest): Our moral anchor got caught in the demonic depths, if you know what I mean.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsHands View Post
    104. Get a drink of water for a thirsty dragon at an enchanted magic spring on the top of a mountain across the frozen plains.
    105. Water is actually pretty dangerous in Medieval times. get him some fine dwarven ale from the other side of the world instead, its much safer.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

106. You have been put on a mission by your god to defend an orphanage. The only adventurers you know are Bards. Get the band back together.

107. You are riding a magic train. There are snakes. On the train.

108. You lost a bunch of gold to the head of the local assassin's guild. Your next door neighbors are adventurers, planning a big score from a local dungeon. Steal their big score to pay off your debt, but don't let them find out who you are.

109. A group of adventurers have raided a famous dungeon, and are returning with a diamond of great size. Several factions want the diamond. You have ended up with the diamond through a series of wacky events and zany sub-plots. Meanwhile your services are required by a local kingpin - and if you fail to deliver he will have you killed. Find a way to satisfy the kingpin without getting yourself killed over the diamond.

110. A dragon wants a favor. This will likely end badly, but he's offering you a small fortune to do the job. Also, he might eat you if you refuse.

111. The dragon from 110. has stolen your gold, equipment, stripped you of legal status, and put a price on your head - if you can survive ten days, you will get it all back, plus a tidy sum of gold for your troubles. Learn to never deal with a dragon.
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

7. - Top - End - #67

112: The world lies in ruins soulless monstrosities rule the planet. Humanities one hope is for a group of for brave souls with a distinctive accent to go back in time and Terminate the fourth edition. (or you know, whatever rule change you hate)

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

113: You must collect the 3pieces of a magic item made by an artificer 500years ago, for the local assassins guild leaders or they'll kill you.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

114. Drunken vagrant seeking like souls. Must love spelunking. Seek shadowy figure in bar for further details.

115. A group of four plucky vagrants have bonded over drinks at a bar and decided to cause trouble. Silence them and see the adviser to the king for a reward.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

116: A powerful Cleric serveing under a Powerful Wizard has a powerful country wide destructive weapon

117: A elf has been hired as the towns sheriff and must use his wit to overcome the predjudice of the citizens and save it from bandits with the help of his Dwarven Ally and Half-Giant
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

118: Three strange fellows appeared suddenly, almost as if out of thin air. One of them is a bearded man with a perchance of white powder, and burning rolled tobacco leaves, which he calls a "cigar." He also laughed at the local captain of guard for his monkey-gripped large two-handed sword, and not for the poor investment in training. The second fellow is man who claims his name is "young," and is able to give startling insights into others personalities. "Young" and the cigar smoking man seem to be at ends. The last is a very odd fellow, who is often seen accompanied by many various types of dogs, all of which droll all over the place when he whistles. Investigate them, and possibly help win back the captain's crushed pride.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

119: There are no more villains. No more bandits, no more evil wizards, no more evil cults threatening to summon Il-Yaggath into the world, no orc horde poised to overrun civilization, and no cosmic entities weeks away from devouring existence. But there are still adventurers, and many of them are losing their minds from boredom. Keep them from going on "dungeon crawls" through civilized areas. Keep in mind that they're very powerful and in their own words, consider sanity to be "for roleplayers."
    Last edited by Angry Bob; 2011-03-23 at 11:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

120. While on a major bender, you and the rest of the party made out with Cthulu. Now he won't stop calling.
    No levelled malice
    Infects one comma in the course I hold;
    But flies an eagle flight, bold, and forth on,
    Leaving no track behind.

Andrew Eldritch Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
    Psionic Tricks Handbook (WIP!)

Brainstorming thread for a Basic FAQ (WIP!)

Oh, and you can just call me KA.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    119: There are no more villains. No more bandits, no more evil wizards, no more evil cults threatening to summon Il-Yaggath into the world, no orc horde poised to overrun civilization, and no cosmic entities weeks away from devouring existence. But there are still adventurers, and many of them are losing their minds from boredom. Keep them from going on "dungeon crawls" through civilized areas. Keep in mind that they're very powerful and in their own words, consider sanity to be "for roleplayers."
    this one is disturbing, because I once had this idea for a horror short story about this man in full iron armor going through a town and shouting "SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH ME!" and "WHERE IS YOUR LOOT!?" while slaughtering all the townsfolk and they soon realize that he is sucking up their souls when he kills them thus gaining their experiences and becoming more powerful.

this idea is just very similar.

121. The Elemental Planes, the Abyss, and the Nine hells are about to invade. All at once. You are level one. Have fun.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    105. Water is actually pretty dangerous in Medieval times. get him some fine dwarven ale from the other side of the world instead, its much safer.
    105a. Is that really a good idea? Don't you know where half-dragons come from? On an unrelated note, there seems to be a decline in half-dragon population numbers lately. No, we've already got some adventurers looking into the cause, but I'd like to introduce you to Balthomet the blue. She likes long walks on the beach, snuggling, and strafing villages. I'm sure you'll get along just fine ...

16. - Top - End - #76

NinjaGuy

122. You are all kidnapped and brought to the king to complete a quest, because your all experts and champions. Yet you all were captured by level 3 town guards.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

17. - Top - End - #77

Planetar

123. (YES) You are a family of peasants in a remote region. Survive until the next harvest.

A GM is, of course, free to throw in absolutely anything to make that rather difficult.

124. You meet a mysterious hooded stranger in a tavern, and he teaches you to play a mystical game with unusual dice...

Ellipsis mandatory.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Kalaska'Agathas View Post

107. You are riding a magic train. There are snakes. On the train.
    Better yet, an interplanar rift has opened up, creating a gate to the Serpentine Plane. The entire plane is filled with snakes(and similar creatures).

19. - Top - End - #79

124: you have been transported to a mysterious pirate ship in Eberon that seems to have an excess amount of interior space. Pray.

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

125: You encounter a large blue wooden box with a door which is larger on the inside.

126: A group of warforged with plungers for one arm have begun a mass genocide. "XTERMINATE" them

127:You have met a man with 2heads, a large headed small sized warforged, a commoner with amazing insight, the 2headed aliens brother and a female commoner. They wish for you to travel with them in there white pirate ship.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

128: You are the last surviving human in the multiverse. You are stuck on a ship with the ghost of an insufferable ****head that you've had the displeasure of knowing for years, a mutated catfolk bard who thinks he's better than you, a warforged servant who is obsessed with cleaning and has the worst bluff skill in the universe, and a senile magic item might navigate you to a safe place.

You'll have to navigate the whole ocean and head past various islands of weirdos and magical effects before you can reach a land you think is still safe.

Or perhaps you are the tyrannical despot of an evil civilization who's been overusing his supply of magical recreational drugs. Figure out which reality is the right one before both worlds go to hell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

129. You've met a cranky old woman who's obsessed with books and only knows the word "Shoosh!". Investigate the cause of her nasty demeanor.

130. A half-dragon drunk is swearing she knows how to make creatures with the "Qua...er Dr...nn...ugh. Urp. Blech." template. Investigate how, and what on earth it is.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

23. - Top - End - #83

BlueWizardGirl

131: You are all immobile guard statues at the dark wizard's fortress. Alert the guards whenever you see adventurers trying to sneak in.

132: Destroy the world in order to prevent a Chaotic Evil crown prince from taking over the kingdom. No, you can't kill him or foment a rebellion or ignore the whole thing. Just destroy the world.

133: All die rolls for skills, combat, etc. have suddenly started only coming up only as prime numbers. The king tells you to investigate.

134: You are sitting in a train that is going too fast for you to survive jumping and never seems to come to a stop. A mystical field prevents all attempts to fly, teleport, or planeshift away. Access to the locomotive is barred with epic magic. Four times per day, somewhat challenging random monsters attack the train. The train is completely invulnerable, but you its passangers are not. Can you survive to level 20?

135: You are all Chaotic Neutral. The game is 2e and the DM is very strict about playing alignments by the book. Can you metagame enough to survive a day and not die of your own stupidity right away?

136: You play as animals. No talking! Animals can't talk! Try to become good at pantomiming in and out of character.

137: You are tasked by the king to find the mighty artifact, the Underpants of Rulership. The underpants got misplaced in the very large royal laundry, full of copycat underpants just like the special ones. The artifact's magical aura has been hidden, so finding it will be quite a task. Go undercover as laundresses and try on every pair of underpants until you find the right one.

138: Wizard, Druid, Monk, and Soulknife walk into a bar... Those are your player characters, the four points of the mystical Star of Destiny, embodying the four mystical character paths. If any one of them is to die permanently, the world will fall into darkness. You four are the ones tasked to save the world from eldritch abominations... if you can. No one else certainly can do it and those who attempt without being you four will be vaporized by mystic forces immediately. The same goes for you if you stray from your chosen character classes.

139: You are soap bubble elementals, living on the Sorta-Elemental Plane of Soap Bubbles. It's like the normal world, but you are made of soap bubbles and will only ever have a single hit point, the losing of which is immediately lethal. Save the soap bubble villagers from the massive horde of kobolds.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

140. THE ULTIMATE CRAWL: You have to go potty, but there are monsters in line. Survive to the front with you life and clean pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

141. The prince’s father died while the prince was out of kingdom, and when the prince arrives, he is clearly emotionally upset. Your job is to glean what afflicts him – why is he so upset when he returns and discovers that his uncle has married his mother and assumed the throne? If you determine that he is insane, you are to take him to sea and arrange for him to be murdered by pirates.

142. You work for the Prime Minister, who is trying to end a potential threat to the kingdom. He must find proof of the queen’s love affair with the prime minister of another nation. Your job is to locate and bring back the diamond studs the queen gave to her lover. The only complication will be four common soldiers who are trying to bring them back to the queen, to cover up her wrong-doing.

143. A large group of outlaws have banded together in the forest, robbing all rich passersby. You work for the prince, and your job is to stop the banditry. For some reason, the nearby peasants aren’t offering you any help.

144. Two robots are missing. They are presumed to have used an escape pod from the battleship to reach the planet below. You are to search the desert and recover the missing robots.

145. The princess has been kidnapped, right before she is to marry your prince. Your job is to track down her kidnappers and return her safely to the prince. The kidnappers are believed to include a phenomenal swordsman and a giant, and to be led by a man of supreme cunning. Also, a pirate ship has been seen nearby.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

146. The one-time richest and most popular man in the nation has gone broke and died in his home, alone and unloved. Starting in a house full of fascinating relics which you are not allowed to examine, your job is to explain his final word. The DM brushes off all your complaints that, since he died alone, nobody heard his final word.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

147. A venerable, crippled blind Orc sneaks into the farmer's barn and pees in a bucket of wheat that was going to be thrown out anyway. Can you jab a sword through his heart as he holds the blade steady for you?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #88

SwashbucklerGuy

148. The DM informs you that you are in a tavern, getting drunk. He refuses to tell you if there are any girls there. Meanwhile, the rest of the party is in a dungeon so dark that only Magic Missile can illuminate it. They are attacked by ogres, and you are unable to use your ogre-slaying knife to help them. Worse, you are out of Cheetos.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

149. Your brothers are jealous of your fancy clothes, PC class levels, and the fact that your fathers love you best. They have ambushed you and sold you into slavery. Now, rise from being a lowly slave to being de facto rulers of your new country. After that, you may taunt your siblings with epic pranks and secret tests of character.

150. Some folks think your friend is actually one of the gods incarnate. This is drawing some unwanted attention from the powers that be. Eliminate this attention, by betraying your friend if you must. Only then may you ask him if he thinks he is what they say he is.

151. A man who thinks he is a bard has just lost his instrument and must now improvise a different kind of performance. Help him out by telling about the time he helped his friend get married by disguising himself as a pig and robbing their house. One of you is his much-wiser butler.

152. You are all weretigers. You go to a clan party where you do nothing but sing about how great you are. Kick out that one jerk who is ruining the party for everyone else, and then wait until the clan leader picks out the most pathetic weretiger to go on a trip to the upper planes.

153. You are all intelligent magical vehicles. With the help of your spirit guide, can you win the Big Race?

154. The king’s theatre is being haunted. The ghost has recently begun demanding large sums of money and has developed an unhealthy obsession with one of the chorus girls. Investigate.

155. A poor and cynical bard has taken a commission from an axe crazy lady aristocrat. Rescue him before he winds up face down in her pool with crossbow bolts in his back.

156. You are not-quite-1st level commoner children. An avatar of Pelor recently arrived and needs to camp out in a nearby barn. You have vowed to protect him no matter what. But now, some law-enforcement types are claiming he is actually a wanted murderer. What do you do now?

[hr]
    157. You have found a talking carnivorous plant. Use it to gain fame, wealth, and love. But don’t let the plant take over the world.

158. Teach a local baron’s children the Perform (singing) skill. Then help them flee the country before the baron can be forcibly conscripted into the Evil Empire’s navy.

159. One of you is a prince sent into exile after his uncle killed his father. The rest of you are his friends who taught him how to live a carefree, no-worries life. Now, the prince must learn responsibility and take back the throne.

[hr]
    160. You meet a boy who claims he can talk to ghosts that no one else can see or hear. Strangely, about this time, everyone else seems to start ignoring you.

161. A strange man with a low Constitution tries to convince you that you have DR 20/– , Strength 25 or higher, and telepathic ability. Furthermore, he says you must use those to protect people. Unfortunately, he seems a little shady himself.

162. Your home is attacked by invaders with a poison attack. Fortunately, they can be driven off with glasses of water

163. Your isolated, some may even say xenophobic village is continually harassed by beings who favor one color but are repelled by another. You must brave the woods these beings call home to retrieve vital supplies and medicine. Fortunately, the creatures may not be all they are cracked up to be.

164. You must help a water nymph get a ride from a giant eagle while defending it from a grass-wolf. Complicating matters is everyone thinks they have a different character class than they really have. If all goes well, you won’t piss off the ultraviolent killer monkies.

165. Various trees and plants. have learned the death urge psionic power and have started using it on humanoids that have been chopping them down for firewood. The GM claims it will be a mature campaign, but you have your doubts.

166. The GM wants to play a campaign based on an anime-esque cartoon series.

[hr]
    167a. You are skilled swordsmen. A remote village has come to you for help. Frequent bandit raids have driven them to the brink of starvation. You must drive off the bandits.

167b. You are skilled gunslingers. A remote village has come to you for help. Frequent bandit raids have driven them to the brink of starvation. You must drive off the bandits.

167c. You are insectoid circus performers mistaken for skilled warriors. A remote village has come to you for help. Frequent bandit raids have driven them to the brink of starvation. You must drive off the bandits.

[hr]
    168. An aristocrat ascends to the throne through regicide. He quickly becomes a mad tyrant. You must overthrow him. However, he is prophesized to be invincible until (a) the forest moves and (b) he is defeated by a man not of woman born. Fortunately, the party is almost all druids and rangers, and one of them was born through an impromptu C-section.

169. Steal the GM’s Andrew Lloyd Webber collection before he figures out how to make you do Evita.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2011-03-27 at 12:38 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

170. You are in a room with a trapped chest that can only be opened by identifying the origins of plot hooks 149-169.

(Great job, Shhalahr.)