New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Habits that kill fun in a session.

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I'm guilty of that one, but to be fair I was pointing out to the DM that certain things weren't making any sense.
    I have done the same. Heck, I even proved the DM's great plot twist was impossible by RAW.

But that was only because he had a hissy-fit when I originally, jokingly called him out on it.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was just trying to point out that no, Fighters sleeping in heavy armor (with a feat!) doesn't make less sense than Rogues moving spell buffs from one person to another non-magicly as a part of their base class.
    Last edited by The Random NPC; 2011-06-02 at 12:22 PM.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    I was just trying to point out that no, Fighters sleeping in heavy armor (with a feat!) doesn't make less sense than Rogues moving spell buffs from one person to another non-magicly as a part of their base class.
    rogues can transfer spell buffs? wut?

4. - Top - End - #1054

It was in Pathfinder, but I think he was homebrewing it. Or confused about the minor spell Rogue power.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Firbolg in the Playground

Could've been a Spellthief instead of a Rogue.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    Someone on these forums has a story of how he created this awesome boss monster and spent multiple sessions hyping it up and getting the PC's (and players) scared of it, then when the fight finally happens the monster goes first rolls 3 1's (or something similar, can't remember exactly) in a row and trips and breaks its neck. Yup, the epic hyped up monster broke its own neck in the opening move of the combat.
    Well... there's a reason you roll certain things behind that DM screen!

The Have It Your Way DM-All DM's have to give some ground to the players, but this guy takes it WAY too far: To the point of actively supporting and encouraging Chaotic Stupid behavior. Everything the PC's try always ends up getting the desired result, perfectly. There are no wrong decisions. You know that Chaotic Stupid character that normally gets killed off (or at least put in a bad enough situation to change the behavior) after 2 sessions or so? Yeah, imagine playing under a DM that rewarded the behavior.
    That type of DMing needs to DIAF.

Mr. Everything Must Operate Within RAW-This player demands the entire world function according to the letter of RAW, no exceptions. You want to move the plot along by having a villain assassinate a powerful ally of the PC's in one hit? You better be ready to provide detailed character sheets of both NPC's and justify the 1-hit kill according to RAW, cause this player will never drop it. And don't forget you have to roll the dice for the assassin too!
    This type of playing too.

Reminds me of another one I'm guilty of actually:

Mr. Assume RAW Until Proven Otherwise-For everything that happens during the game, this guy looks for RAW justification. Not as bad as Mr. Everything Must Operate Within RAW because he accepts DM handwaves, but unless the DM admits to handwaving he assumes everything is operating by RAW. To use the assassination example above, if this guy can metagame that the ally had ~150HP, and the assassin takes him down in one hit, he immediately exclaims "DAMN!! That guy either did a Save or Die attack of some kind or just did over 150 damage* in one hit! Whatever it is, it's way out of our league!"

*before anyone brings up a 2000+ damage per hit build, 150 damage is a big deal in mid/low level low optimization games....
    Yeah, I fall into this last one sometimes, but I don't really think it kills the fun. There have to be rules to games, otherwise you end up with anarchy. However, rules exist to serve the fun (not vice versa, which is what the middle example person always forgets), and so if you need to wander outside the rules a bit for fun, then do it. (Which is why you sometimes roll behind the DM Screen!

7. - Top - End - #1057

No, he said it was a Rogue.
    -Snow White

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitron5000 View Post
    Kender ... Hobbits that kill fun in a session
    May I sig that?
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

related to the topic.

a group that won't give you feed back while you're trying to organize.

example
    send out an email/mass text/whatever

"Okay guys, so I'm aiming for about 3 - 8 at joe's house thursday who can make it?"

no response, not until like 6 hours before the session, at which point you get just enough replies to know the sessions on.

related"
    "hey guys, this campaign is going to be driven entirely by your characters, so I need at least a little bit of background for everyone BEFORE WE MEET"

crickets...

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I recently DM'ed a game based around a homebrew setting, using the Dresden Files system. The game was meant to be fairly low tech, but as a new DM I was the Cavein DM a DM that allowed players to make claims about the world because I didn't want to hamper their fun. However this came to bite me in the ass when one of the players decided to basically derail my setting, and tried to set things up like a spy movie.

Moreover he was Mr. Inconsistent.

He decided to derail the setting after going from City A to City B. In City B he conversed with random people, gave them very generous tips to keep their mouths shut about the meeting (akin to paying the bagger at the supermarket to "never mention this meeting to anyone" after they bag your groceries), refused to drink wine with a stranger at a bar, rented multiple rooms on multiple floors in a hotel and gave keys to strangers to "mix up" the enemy, and then accepted a random glass of alcohol from a random drug filled nightclub in the bad part of town... really? After all that caution you accept a random cup in a seedy nightclub?

Granted he complained when I said it was drugged, and I decided not to drug the cup.

Meanwhile his character background was that he was an android who had been enslaved by humans for hundreds of years, and thus he hated humanity. Cue him making one or two sentences about him not trusting the "human party members" and then never ever bringing that aspect up again. When I mentioned that he wasn't RP'ing his character he gave me some line about "I thought the point of this was to have fun." Gee, I could have sworn part of the fun was actually roleplaying out a character...

\vent

11. - Top - End - #1061

Zombie

Mr. Everything Must Operate Within RAW-This player demands the entire world function according to the letter of RAW, no exceptions. You want to move the plot along by having a villain assassinate a powerful ally of the PC's in one hit? You better be ready to provide detailed character sheets of both NPC's and justify the 1-hit kill according to RAW, cause this player will never drop it. And don't forget you have to roll the dice for the assassin too!
    Eh, I'm torn on this example. If my character is trying to stop the assassin I want to see the die rolls. If the player is complaining about something that happened off-screen, yeah, that's just being difficult.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nidogg View Post
    oh god.... I hate this one, Fighting a construct, who to be fair, was kicking our asses... then the DM springs up and says, good thing I didnt activate it's exploding tail spike attacK!!!
    I've done that, actually, ususally to point out that I did, in fact underestimate the power of the monster, or, if the party just rolled really bad, to make sure they knew that I was holding back in compensation.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not sure if this was posted before but
    A DM that complains when you...
    Do something they didn't expect
    Do something that's really ridiculous but completely allowed by the rules

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame9006 View Post
    in defense of DMs everywhere.
    just because something's allowed by the rules, doesn't mean it's a good thing.
    PUN PUN POWERS ACTIVATE!

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    in defense of DMs everywhere.
    just because something's allowed by the rules, doesn't mean it's a good thing.
    PUN PUN POWERS ACTIVATE!
    Yeah, the first one is so-so, but the second one is definitely not a bad thing.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-06-05 at 09:18 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

16. - Top - End - #1066

related"
    "hey guys, this campaign is going to be driven entirely by your characters, so I need at least a little bit of background for everyone BEFORE WE MEET"

crickets...
    Understandable if your group is known for total party wipes, either PC or DM caused.

It does get annoying to try and come up with new characters and fresh backstories every few weeks.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    Understandable if your group is known for total party wipes, either PC or DM caused.

It does get annoying to try and come up with new characters and fresh backstories every few weeks.
    actually, over the course of my 3(?) year gaming career.

I've only been witness/party to 4(?) chracter deaths.

of those, only 2 have happened while I sat behind the screen. it's a new group for summer because we're off campus.

and I disagree (slightly) about it being annoying.

I have 20+ characters waiting to see play.
    character creation is fun for me.

*in the event that this post is completely or even partially off the wall, I'm very tired and on the way to dreamland. so humor me

18. - Top - End - #1068

Quote Originally Posted by Flame9006 View Post
    Me: "Wait, you WHAT?!"
    Player: "I read the book."
    Me: *Panics a little trying to figure out what to do, as I never expected anyone to read a large, glowing, floating book in the middle of a Genius Loci house*

actually, over the course of my 3(?) year gaming career.

I've only been witness/party to 4(?) chracter deaths.

of those, only 2 have happened while I sat behind the screen. it's a new group for summer because we're off campus.

and I disagree (slightly) about it being annoying.

I have 20+ characters waiting to see play.
    character creation is fun for me.

*in the event that this post is completely or even partially off the wall, I'm very tired and on the way to dreamland. so humor me

In my first group, I was asked to provide pretty extensive backstories, which I did at first. And then my characters started dying. Quite a bit. I think I went through two characters in three sessions. Shortly thereafter, I kinda stopped worrying about backstories and just improved it whenever the issue came up, as my characters were either going to be killed off or the campaign would be scrapped.
    Last edited by Silus; 2011-06-05 at 10:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I never think up much of a backstory before the game starts; imo the character is supposed to experience interesting things _during_ the campaign, not before it. If the DM specifies a character-driven campaign, then okay, I'll whip something up (but not exceeding half a page).

As for meatgrinder DMs, even if they manage to prevent my losing interest in their game, I'd just roll Bob the Fighter, with no effort put into it whatsoever, and keep sending in clones at the speed they are being killed off.

To contribute, maybe it's been mentioned before, but I'll name The Copious Backstory Player. Really, we don't want to hear all of the seven pages you came up with. In most cases, it's either meaningless trite that could be summed up in three lines, or it's a highly dubious setup for a Mary-Sueish character.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Me: *Panics a little trying to figure out what to do, as I never expected anyone to read a large, glowing, floating book in the middle of a Genius Loci house*
    In which gaming system? In Call of Cthulhu, this is completely understandable and the player either isn't very familiar with the setting or is just about committing intentional character suicide. In D&D, I'd view a description like that as essentially equivalent to "PLOT HOOK" written in flaming letters several hundred feet tall; of course I'd read it, what else are you supposed to do with an obviously important book? Besides search it for traps first, of course.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord pringle View Post
    May I sig that?
    Knock yourself out.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mr. Plays By His own Rules

There has been this guy who has been playing with our group for a while. He just keeps Overpowering his character by misinterpreting the rules. It used to be that we took what he said at face value and carried on, but after this last game he has just gone over the line.

In "Serenity" the closest you can get to a magic character is Reader, so he chose that, and proceeded to do stuff a reader cannot do, such as telekinetically throw knives, send messages to people via telepathy, and know the precise location of someone by "sensing them". Thing about readers all they can do is make better insight rolls than a normal individual, and can use points to ask the GM if the NPC is actually telling the truth. The idea is that the Reader can only read emotions and feelings.

Last game he killed all the NPCs in one move, which I am betting now is weaker than what he told us.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

23. - Top - End - #1073

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    In which gaming system? In Call of Cthulhu, this is completely understandable and the player either isn't very familiar with the setting or is just about committing intentional character suicide. In D&D, I'd view a description like that as essentially equivalent to "PLOT HOOK" written in flaming letters several hundred feet tall; of course I'd read it, what else are you supposed to do with an obviously important book? Besides search it for traps first, of course.
    D&D 3.5/Pathfinder in a horror style game.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Barbarian in the Playground

D&D 3.5/Pathfinder in a horror style game.
    Which kind: the scary plot themed type or the 'I just bought HoH' type?
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Really, now. It floats. It glows. It's in the middle.

Of course they're going to read it!
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post

Yeah. You should prepare for if they don't read it, but you should first prepare for if they do read it. You should also prepare for if they set it on fire, take it without reading it, or chop it in half with a sword.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-06-06 at 01:13 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

27. - Top - End - #1077

DwarfFighterGuy

What group of self-respecting adventurers don't first whip out the Artificer's Monocle before handling an unidentified magic item?

Here's one I heard about from a friend, one that would probably make me quit the game after 1 session unless it was dealt with:

The Disbeliever-This guy has been burned by an illusion-happy DM in the past one too many times. EVERYTHING the DM describes, he specifically mentions that he disbelieves. The walls, the floor, the ceiling, the windows, each individual book on the bookshelf, the bookshelf, the desk, ... , the dust on the bookshelf, the dust on the desk, the dust on the pen ...

Apparently the DM got sick of this guy and created a room in the dungeon that had an illusion and a powerful invisible wizard in it. The wizard ignored everyone and did nothing until The Disbeliever disbelieved his illusion, then he got mad and killed him in 1 hit, and promptly teleported away.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

To use an example from a friend's game as a DMing proverb.

"You put the pool of water in the dungeon. Of course they're going to drink from it, and if they don't, the samurai will wash his feet in it."

29. - Top - End - #1079

Quote Originally Posted by giantmudkip View Post
    Which kind: the scary plot themed type or the 'I just bought HoH' type?
    A little of both. Imagine having watched the movie 1408 a few too many times and throw in a little of Fable 3's Shadelight dungeon.

The house warping reality, Shadows coming out of the walls in hordes, the 'ol "I thought we were out!" bit, ect. ect..

'Course, the guy that read the book also was the one that decided to go upstairs alone.

Well, when it's got The Yellow Sign on the cover....

It was more or less an artifact level Carcosa Codex. First campaign I ever ran, so in the future I'll make it something less Lovecraftian =P
    Last edited by Silus; 2011-06-06 at 01:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1080

This may sound like a joke, but I'm serious. If you need to pass gas you go outside. We usually play in a small apartment. Half the time we order mexican. That is a bad combo if you don't control it!
    Murder is wrong... Unless it levels you up.