New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Habits that kill fun in a session.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I've been asked that question before, and I usually reply with, "Why do you sit on your ass, watching large men in tight pants wearing pauldrons and helmets chase an oblong ball around a 100-yard length of grass for four hours every Sunday afternoon and Monday night?"

Or alternatively, "Why do you watch grown men, in oversized soap-box racers, drive at dangerous speeds and turn left for two hours every Sunday?"

It gives them pause, at the least. It's also hilarious when you see the faces they make as you say that.
    ...awesome. This is EXACTLY what I tell people when they critique my hobbies.

also: I'm a Folk dancer. When people say ''dancing is gay'' I usually respond with: "Yeah, sure (/sarcasm). And your sport is to shower (naked) with 10 other guys. I'm sure that's not gay at all!"
    Last edited by Combat Reflexes; 2011-06-21 at 05:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Reflexes View Post
    ...awesome. This is EXACTLY what I tell people when they critique my hobbies.

also: I'm a Folk dancer. When people say ''dancing is gay'' I usually respond with: "Yeah, sure (/sarcasm). And your sport is to shower (naked) with 10 other guys. I'm sure that's not gay at all!"
    Same here.

I also do some dancing, and have also had that issue. Of course everyone who has ever said that to me (in a non-joking manner) is someone I never want to talk to again anyway, so I usually respond with "ooooo, you coming on to me honey?" That usually makes them go away. Permanently.

But yeah, I find it hilarious that people love to rip on other people's hobbies that happen to be different then their own. I have very few friends at work, because according to them in order to "have fun" and "have a life" you have to go to the bar at least 3 times a week, and blow ~$30 getting drunk to the point of puking and trying to have sex with everyone who looks at you. If you don't do that, then you obviously don't like having fun. Yes, I have had them say that to me, in all seriousness.

Then there's my dad... I spend a couple thousand $$ on a new gaming computer and he won't drop it how I just "wasted" all that money. Then he turns around and spends the same amount of money to buy yet another gun.

I guess the short answer is, in the minds of most closed-minded people, unless you have the exact same hobbies as them you are some sort of freak who is wasting time, wasting money, and doesn't like having fun.

On topic:

The Saboteur-This is a family member of someone who plays P&P RP, who either doesn't approve of the hobby or the people the player hangs out with, or both. This person then goes out of his/her way to completely sabotage the player in any way they can. Bonus points if they enlist other family members to help them.

You obviously can't have the game at their place, because the family goes out of their way to interrupt every 5 minutes. Yet if you have the game anywhere else, all of a sudden the player can't make it (all the cars are conveniently being used like 5 minutes before the player is about to leave, some "emergency" always pops up that requires the player's attention right away, etc.)
    Last edited by Choco; 2011-06-21 at 08:51 AM.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

3. - Top - End - #1203

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Choco View Post
    Same here.
    $30 getting drunk to the point of puking and trying to have sex with everyone who looks at you.
    Ok......no offence but I want to be in whatever country your from.
    Seriously...I live in Australia and we need to spend upwards of $200 to get drunk to that degree If we go to a bar or pub.
    If your cost effective and buy only the cheapest of drinks you can usually get away with only spending $120 but less then that and your not really under threat of puking.
    Either that :P or we really do just drink more...
    I think ultimatly Id end up with Tzeentch...something tells me wed have MAD RPG's with that guy...Seriously...hed have like...400 campaigns preplanned before I got there....Its not Railroading if he knows ALL your choices :P

4. - Top - End - #1204

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by profitofrage View Post
    Ok......no offence but I want to be in whatever country your from.
    Seriously...I live in Australia and we need to spend upwards of $200 to get drunk to that degree If we go to a bar or pub.
    If your cost effective and buy only the cheapest of drinks you can usually get away with only spending $120 but less then that and your not really under threat of puking.
    Either that :P or we really do just drink more...
    Well if you go 3x a week, you need to go to the cheap hole-in-the-wall places where all the drinks taste like crap but damn do they get you wasted. Even the most debt-ridden of my acquaintances can't afford it otherwise.

Yes, if you go to a "normal" bar you would have to spend about as much as you said buying their VASTLY overpriced drinks.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
    I all so dont like being attached to the stigma that rping carries with people who dont play.
    Yeah.

Guess what? You're part of the reason that stigma exists. You are perpetuating it by your non-action. You are part of the problem.
    "So...the orphan attacked you?
    "Aye"
    "And so you cut him down with your axe in self defense."
    "Aye..."
    "I don't believe you."
    "Damn...would ye believe that th' orphan was an alien?"
    "No"
    "Damn."

6. - Top - End - #1206

Daemon

Well if you go 3x a week, you need to go to the cheap hole-in-the-wall places where all the drinks taste like crap but damn do they get you wasted. Even the most debt-ridden of my acquaintances can't afford it otherwise.

Yes, if you go to a "normal" bar you would have to spend about as much as you said buying their VASTLY overpriced drinks.
    I guess it speaks volumes about how much us Australians like to get wasted considering we are prepared to blow 200 dollars on one night of drinking :P
    I cannot imagine how I managed to afford to do it several times a week...actually the fact I cant remember much at all probably speaks volumes to :P
    I think ultimatly Id end up with Tzeentch...something tells me wed have MAD RPG's with that guy...Seriously...hed have like...400 campaigns preplanned before I got there....Its not Railroading if he knows ALL your choices :P

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by profitofrage View Post
    I guess it speaks volumes about how much us Australians like to get wasted considering we are prepared to blow 200 dollars on one night of drinking :P
    I cannot imagine how I managed to afford to do it several times a week...actually the fact I cant remember much at all probably speaks volumes to :P
    Ah. You're Australian, that's why. The guy who spends $30 getting drunk isn't buying cheaper drinks, you just have a massive Fortitude save bonus as a regional bonus feat. It takes you seven times as much drinking to get drunk.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2011-06-21 at 09:50 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1208

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Ah. You're Australian, that's why. The guy who spends $30 getting drunk isn't buying cheaper drinks, you just have a massive Fortitude save bonus as a regional bonus feat. It takes you seven times as much drinking to get drunk.
    Damb...I was afraid of this.
    Everyone always complains "Oh man my save isnt high enough...OH man your way overpowered" They do not know the pain of having to spend several days pay in order to forget how you earnt it.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

What?? Don't you guys drink before entering the local tavern? I never buy more than two (my wallet isn't one of holding).
    If I really want to get drunk (doesn't happen all too much) the last place I'd drink was in a bar...

Same here.

I also do some dancing, and have also had that issue. Of course everyone who has ever said that to me (in a non-joking manner) is someone I never want to talk to again anyway, so I usually respond with "ooooo, you coming on to me honey?" That usually makes them go away. Permanently.
    Awesome. I'm going to say that next time.

EDIT: oh, and I now see the second bonus: they won't trouble you EVER. AGAIN.

The Saboteur-This is a family member of someone who plays P&P RP, who either doesn't approve of the hobby or the people the player hangs out with, or both. This person then goes out of his/her way to completely sabotage the player in any way they can. Bonus points if they enlist other family members to help them.
    OK, now THAT'S underhanded. And... useless. If they can't think of anything better to do, useless.
    Dude, it's not that you are purposefully fumbling while playing in their football team or something.

At moments like this I'm so glad to have a great family (OK, most of my family consists of minor alto's like goths, nature-lovers and scouts, and even one skinhead. But no geeks. Maybe later ).

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    'Guy who cannot read books!' This Player is lazy and refuses to touch any book put in front of them. Some will barely read their character sheet and expect you to tell them how to attack and if they are blind or not. At least you never have to worry about Pun Pun...
    You're talking 'bout the Real Life Barbarian. Low intelligence, can't read... one stereotype fits all!
    Last edited by Combat Reflexes; 2011-06-21 at 12:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

It is hardly our fault that you forgot how to fail a saving throw.

Somewhat back on topic...

'Guy who cannot read books!' This Player is lazy and refuses to touch any book put in front of them. Some will barely read their character sheet and expect you to tell them how to attack and if they are blind or not. At least you never have to worry about Pun Pun...

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Pixie in the Playground

People who dont realise each dm is diffrent. some dms play to tell a story, some play to kill the party, some play to make the party feel like heroes. and others jut play for the lulz.

every dm is diffrent i know how i like to dm (im still working on running my first compaign its going rocky but good i think) but i also cant understate how frustrating it is when every time i say something another dm is "You cant do that !" or "it doesnt work like that" ....

and the use of metagaming knowledge in campaigns which will sooon be cured with random dm lightning storms :)

my venting for today

For the record i like to make the party panick a lil to get that whole "how did we just survive and kick that much a**" feeling i want people feel like they got threw by the skin of thier teeth
    Last edited by Hatchet91; 2011-06-21 at 01:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1212

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ScionoftheVoid View Post
    That's fine, just didn't want it to go without context.
    Ya'll owe him an apology and should honor the original deal. because you are the ones creating the drama.

you are killing the fun in the session.

And you could have avoided it by saying no in the first place.
    Last edited by archon_huskie; 2011-06-21 at 01:39 PM.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

13. - Top - End - #1213

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Bonus points if they have been playing in weekly games for 5 years and have not picked up on ANYTHING during that time. Even more bonus points if they use the "I have a life outside of D&D" excuse, yet they are known to complain to you about how bored they are every half an hour on Messenger....

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie
    Ya'll owe him an apology and should honor the original deal. because you are the ones creating the drama.

you are killing the fun in the session.

And you could have avoided it by saying no in the first place.
    I don't know, I gotta say I'm with ScionoftheVoid on this one. From what I gather on both of their stories (and reading the other thread about this incident), all Scion did was let them get away with the half-baked game-breaking plan (and didn't kill them for it, like he could have (I most likely would have..)) despite his reservations, and that hardly counts as killing the fun in a session. Think about it, if he had flat-out said "no", everyone would be riding his arse for being a bad DM and cramping their style. After that, what happens between the party members is up to them. Maybe it's just DM'ing styles, but I fully advocate the party policing themselves, and encourage them to do so. It's awesome when my players take care of the Chaotic Stupid elements among themselves instead of making me do it .

EDIT: May as well contribute, since this does remind me of:

"It's the party that is wrong!" Chaotic Stupid Player-This person plays the typical Chaotic Stupid characters we all know and love. And of course when the rest of the party finally gets fed up and takes matters into their own hands (after repeated warnings, all of them met with the "That's what my character would do!" or "I'm chaotic!" defenses), he gets butthurt. This guy basically expects the party and the DM to accommodate him in all ways at all times, but is completely unwilling to return the favor.

I guess some examples are in order:

The party was sneaking through enemy territory trying not to attract attention. Then soon as a small group of enemy soldiers is encountered, Ms Chaotic Stupid impulsively attacks them. The rest of the party decide this would be the perfect diversion for them and sneak around while Ms Chaotic Stupid gets slaughtered. She then can't understand why they didn't help her.

The party is trying to negotiate with an evil warlord. Chaotic Stupid Bard (the deaf/mute bard with ranks in perform(mime) and perform(interpretive dance) in what is otherwise a serious and gritty game at that) decides it would be funny to take a leaf out of the PHB and soil the back of the warlord's pants. Before a fight could break out, the party leader (a Warblade) quickly full-attacks and kills the bard. She then apologizes profusely and presents the bard's head and magic equipment as a peace offering, saving the negotiations. Of course the bard's player was furious and didn't understand why the party didn't help....
    Last edited by Choco; 2011-06-22 at 10:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1214

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I've been asked that question before, and I usually reply with, "Why do you sit on your ass, watching large men in tight pants wearing pauldrons and helmets chase an oblong ball around a 100-yard length of grass for four hours every Sunday afternoon and Monday night?"

Or alternatively, "Why do you watch grown men, in oversized soap-box racers, drive at dangerous speeds and turn left for two hours every Sunday?"

It gives them pause, at the least. It's also hilarious when you see the faces they make as you say that.
    My favorite is fantasy football players who think they're too cool for D&D.

15. - Top - End - #1215

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stainboy View Post
    My favorite is fantasy football players who think they're too cool for D&D.
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Choco; 2011-06-22 at 10:01 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

So I have to say I play D&D and keep up 3-4 fantasy football teams, one of my leagues included my gaming group and another group of gamers, of the 12 teams only 2 don't play tabletop RPG's. So just like gamers don't like being stereotyped don't assume the samething about other hobbist. My friends and I like sports and beer and D&D and we are not shy about any of them...

17. - Top - End - #1217

RangerGuy

Ok I got Two, don't know if they've already been posted but anyway...

Guy who leaves early because he made other plans :
    I mean I get that we all have social lives but I assumed that we were all putting time aside to play D&D, plus it messes with the game if your character suddenly leaves in the middle of combat!

The Pun-maker:
    At first its kinda of amusing, then when puns just keep being made you want to bang your head against the wall
    Last edited by Maximus:Ranger; 2011-06-22 at 01:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus:Ranger View Post
    Ok I got Two, don't know if they've already been posted but anyway...

Guy who leaves early because he made other plans :
    I mean I get that we all have social lives but I assumed that we were all putting time aside to play D&D, plus it messes with the game if your character suddenly leaves

The Pun-maker:
    At first its kinda of amusing, then when puns just keep being made you want to bang your head against the wall
    the first one bears repeating due to how bad it is.

as for the second....

ah the pun-maker.... my table has this fun little thing called "Pun damage" which is a flat d6 of damage a player takes whenever they make a pun THAT bad.

if this ever equals they're chracters' hit points, I do something bad to them.

the damage is cumulaitve.

19. - Top - End - #1219

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post

as for the second....

ah the pun-maker.... my table has this fun little thing called "Pun damage" which is a flat d6 of damage a player takes whenever they make a pun THAT bad.

You sir get a good idea cookie

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I wouldn't last a session before I got ended. I'm an endless stream of bad puns, that are so bad the table just drops dead silent when I say one.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus:Ranger View Post
    You sir get a good idea cookie
    -woot!- first cookie!
    -puts in cookie jar-

-makes note to add cookie jar to signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I wouldn't last a session before I got ended. I'm an endless stream of bad puns, that are so bad the table just drops dead silent when I say one.
    oh come now, you might get lucky! we might start at a higher level! and I might roll really low!!

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elyssian View Post
    So I have to say I play D&D and keep up 3-4 fantasy football teams, one of my leagues included my gaming group and another group of gamers, of the 12 teams only 2 don't play tabletop RPG's. So just like gamers don't like being stereotyped don't assume the samething about other hobbist. My friends and I like sports and beer and D&D and we are not shy about any of them...
    The point being made, I think, wasn't "Fantasy football is bad" or "Fantasy footballers are jerks", it was "People who make fun of D&D players but play fantasy football themselves are hypocritical". I'm fine with people having fun however they like, but only if they extend me the same courtesy.

On topic, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but...
    Schrodinger's Player
    Until the session starts, you don't know if he's coming or not. Often cancels at the last minute, even when he said the time was OK. Anyone can miss an occasional session or have something important come up at the last minute, but this guy does it as often as not. Makes it really hard to have a consistent campaign, when one of the characters keeps popping in and out of existence...
    This space intentionally left blank

23. - Top - End - #1223

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post
    Yeah.

Guess what? You're part of the reason that stigma exists. You are perpetuating it by your non-action. You are part of the problem.
    Yeah i can wear that. I guess im not proude of it now that you point it out but blame where blame is due i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles

See the problem i have with this aproach is a. i like a lot of other things too, like sports and drinking (+1 Aussie!)

b. i dont like to attack what they like in defense of what i like. It just seems too grade school and vindictive for my liking.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Banned

Griffon

as for the second....

Punitive damages, then.

<ducks>

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    Punitive damages, then.

<ducks>
    As long as the punishment fits the rhyme.

Spoiler
    Show

<Flickerdart> So theoretically the master vampire can control three bonused dire weasels, who in turn each control five sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> The sub-weasels can each control two other sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> It's like a pyramid scheme, except the payoff is bleeding to death!

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

But only if they don't rhyme on a dime.
    Last edited by Shadowknight12; 2011-06-22 at 08:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Banned

This might have been stated earlier, but after reading through 14 pages I was like "ugh!"

my biggest fun killer is the " I am making a X.. oh wait I wanna be a Y.. 2 days later can I be a Z"

PC who makes a character plays it for about 5 minutes then wants to create a fully different character then the next day or so I get a test saying " can I be a blah?"

Its so annoying it got so bad with one player that at one point literally every session he would make at least 1 if not 2 or 3 characters.

Normally I do not put down absolute to my players but at the start of this campaign I said " No more character changes, excluding character death, and by that I do not mean you goign off and suciding JUST to make a new character"

I know the rest of the players were getting extremly annoyed and well. i was at my breaking point on DMing. to my sur[irse he actually accepted and so far is enjoying playing his halfing rouge, though he got alittle upset that the orc sentries shot him with an arrow even though he rolled a 24 on his hide, to which i replied, yeah you rolled pretty high on your hide check, but what you failed to realize was you just dove into the water and are swimming up to the hill the are on, you can't really hide when you make a HUGE splash like that to call attention to yourself and start swimming.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemistmerlin View Post
    Yeah.

Are you suggesting that participating in a hobby carries a moral obligation to try and elevate its status among the general population?
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

29. - Top - End - #1229

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Are you suggesting that participating in a hobby carries a moral obligation to try and elevate its status among the general population?
    Not a moral obligation so much as a clarification that nonaction is part of why the stigma exists.
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Askaretha's Ascension as Vaishirth

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Not a moral obligation so much as a clarification that nonaction is part of why the stigma exists.
    True. However, nonaction is also completely acceptable in this case, its a stigma attached to a hobby, not a large scale societal problem.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.