New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,490 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Habits that kill fun in a session.

If they rolled a natural 1 on their tumble check, I'd say they landed on the monster, who, as an immediate reaction, got to attempt to knock them into the pit.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Natural one always fails!

Even on skill checks, That's ALL skill checks. Also you can't take ten ever.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.
    Yes I know it's sarcasm. It's a joke. Pale green is for snarking
    Thread wins: 2

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    If they rolled a natural 1 on their tumble check, I'd say they landed on the monster, who, as an immediate reaction, got to attempt to knock them into the pit.
    Natural 1 isn't automatic fail.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Bugbear in the Playground

Some DMs houserule it to be. Either way, 1 is bad.
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Askaretha's Ascension as Vaishirth

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Not always. I once body slammed the earth and rolled a one. I had flight at level five without a full casting class.
    Most people see a half orc and and think barbarian warrior. Me on the other hand? I think secondary trap handler and magic item tester. Also I'm not allowed to trick the next level one wizard into starting a fist fight with a house cat no matter how annoying he is.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Some DMs houserule it to be. Either way, 1 is bad.
    Here's why using the crit/fumble rules for skills are bad.

Crit: swimming up a waterfall is a suitable use for swim, and walking on a cloud is suitable for balance, as presented in the epic level handbook. A commoner with no training can do that 1/20 times.

Fumble: a legendary swordsmith (level 20, max skill ranks, skill focus) can completely and utterly fail to make a simple knife 1/20 times.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-08-21 at 08:25 PM.
    My Steam profile

7. - Top - End - #1477

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post

Crit: swimming up a waterfall is a suitable use for swim, and walking on a cloud is suitable for balance, as presented in the epic level handbook. A commoner with no training can do that 1/20 times.

Fumble: a legendary swordsmith (level 20, max skill ranks, skill focus) can completely and utterly fail to make a simple knife 1/20 times.
    Or crit fumble tables on attacks. Just because most of them are rediculous.

Ex.: "1? Roll again. 20? Roll again. 20? Insta-kill self. Sorry."

Also, this means that the level 30 barbarian is going to fumble his weapon every few seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
    The "You didn't say that" GM: This is the GM that only reactions explicitly off of what you say, instead of using a little logic and taking the initiative to assume the PC's baser actions.

Player: I slowly peer around the corner.
    GM: You see a blank hallway with a couple doors at the far end, on either side of the hall.
    Player: Alright, I carefully make my way down the hall.
    GM: You step on a pressure plate, setting off an arrow trap! Roll a reflex save.
    Player: Wait, what?? I have a +20 Search modifier, why didn't I see the trap before triggering it??
    GM: You didn't say you were looking for traps.
    Player: I've been searching for traps through this entire dungeon!!! I'm a rogue for christ sake!!
    GM: Then I guess you'll say it next time. Roll your reflex save.
    Oh god, this, a thousand times this. I'm in a campaign like this, and while he's a good DM in other aspects, it does drive me nuts. For most things, it's not even a test of any actual skill, just remembering to say the rote lines.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Oh god, this, a thousand times this. I'm in a campaign like this, and while he's a good DM in other aspects, it does drive me nuts. For most things, it's not even a test of any actual skill, just remembering to say the rote lines.
    My usual retort is "shall I remind you that I'm still breathing every round?" As a result, none of my characters have suffocated so far

Also: 50 pages? Man, I never expected this thread to get to here. Someone should think about creating a new thread.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Firbolg in the Playground

Natural 1 isn't automatic fail.
    I know, I meant that if they rolled a natural 1, which resulted in a fail.

I prefer to play with the alternate system presented in ELH: If you get a natural 20, roll again and add 20. If you get a natural 1, roll again and subtract 20. Under this system, the commoner needs 4 natural 20s in a row, for only a 1/160000 chance.

11. - Top - End - #1481

I agree with you in principle, but not the examples you used. For example, what 'legendary' swordsmith have you met that would ever rush his work? (That is, why would he not at least take 10?) Nor can I imagine a commoner attempting such things just because the rules of the universe allow it 1/20 times. Still, I don't use crit/fumble for skills myself.
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Askaretha's Ascension as Vaishirth

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Nor can I imagine a commoner attempting such things just because the rules of the universe allow it 1/20 times.
    But...doing/attempting impossible things just to see if we can anyways is, like, almost half of what humanity has spent its entire history doing!

(Most of the other half is killing each other.)

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I prefer to play with the alternate system presented in ELH: If you get a natural 20, roll again and add 20. If you get a natural 1, roll again and subtract 20. Under this system, the commoner needs 4 natural 20s in a row, for only a 1/160000 chance.
    I don't think I like that. It may make accidental epic checks near impossible, but it also screws anybody who fumbles a skill check they would normally make on a natural 1.

Player: Alright, I have 14 ranks in tumble. *Rolls die*
    GM: A natural 1! Under normal rules, that would be enough to make a standard tumble check, but under our new rules, I'll need you to roll again with a -20 modifier.
    Player: Uh... ok. *Rolls die again*
    GM: Ohhh a 19. Fantastic roll, but with your negative modifier, your total roll comes out to 13. As you try to tumble pass the orc, he trips you, making you fall flat on your face.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #1485

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lhurgyof View Post
    Or crit fumble tables on attacks. Just because most of them are rediculous.

Ex.: "1? Roll again. 20? Roll again. 20? Insta-kill self. Sorry."

Also, this means that the level 30 barbarian is going to fumble his weapon every few seconds.
    to be fair, dnd combat is absurdly fast moving. I used to take tae kwon do classes, and we had a junior national champ in our class (she almost knocked me out once). even she would take 8, 10 seconds sometimes to breathe and reconsider. 4 swings every 6 seconds is a nonstop flurry of movement, there really wouldn't be much time for control and you very well could hit yourself at that rate.
    "Thursdays. I could never get the hang of Thursdays."-Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide

"I had a normal day once. It was a Thursday." -Will Bailey, The West Wing

Roy will be Xykon's Final Boss

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greyfeld View Post
    GM: A natural 1! Under normal rules, that would be enough to make a standard tumble check
    Really? I was under the impression that, under normal rules, a natural 1 is an automatic fail no matter what bonus you have to a skill or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Seriously. Every time someone posts a thread like this, the Giant kills a kitten. Please stop before he gets to Mr. Scruffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Recent studies have suggested that reading daily mail reduces the sodium content in your blood. As such, many leading doctors suggest taking it with a grain of salt.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Objection View Post
    Really? I was under the impression that, under normal rules, a natural 1 is an automatic fail no matter what bonus you have to a skill or whatever.
    Link.
    To make a skill check, roll 1d20 and add your character’s skill modifier for that skill. The skill modifier incorporates the character’s ranks in that skill and the ability modifier for that skill’s key ability, plus any other miscellaneous modifiers that may apply, including racial bonuses and armor check penalties. The higher the result, the better. Unlike with attack rolls and saving throws, a natural roll of 20 on the d20 is not an automatic success, and a natural roll of 1 is not an automatic failure.
    Also,
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-08-23 at 05:43 PM.
    My Steam profile

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Objection View Post
    It is for attacks and saves, it isn't for skills.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's only on attack rolls and saves. Skill checks are not subject to nat 20s or nat 1s. All rolls on skills are merely variables added to your modifier. If this total beats the dc you succeed. Period.

Yay double sword saged.
    Last edited by ryu; 2011-08-23 at 05:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Great Modthulhu: New thread linked above.