New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default 3:16 - Carnage Amongst the Stars

I don't see a thread on this game, and I've heard good things about it.

3:16 is a game where the characters are space marines. They get into spaceships, kill hundreds of aliens, and do it again. The rules of the game are designed so players flesh out their characters' backstories through flashbacks as the game goes on, giving brief vignettes of moments of strength or weakness in the character's past, which eventually develop into a hatred of their homeworld.

The premise seems fantastic - a group of people who've for one reason or another chosen to kill and die in unnecessary land wars instead of living indefinitely as immortals on their homeworld - and the mechanics seem flashy in a Sergio Leone sort of a way.

Have any of you played this game? I'm going to try it this weekend and I was wondering if there was anything that really stood out about it, good or bad.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: 3:16 - Carnage Amongst the Stars

It's actually one of our favorites... it's violent and silly, but you get to play such outrageous caricatures that you can't help but have huge amounts of fun.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Is the system perhaps too light for any meaningful amount of campaign-style play? I mean, Combat Skill and Non-Combat Skill are the only two stats off of which you roll.

In other words, it seems mainly suited to beer-and-pretzels gaming, and unsuited for a lengthy campaign.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

4. - Top - End - #4

We've been playing for a bit more than a year, off and on. It's pretty beer-and-pretzels, but you could run it a lot more serious if you wanted to.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's good to hear that, Mark!

I'm a little boggled about using the Threat Token budget in a game this structured.

I'm not sure whether I should reward player shortcuts or ingenuity. If they come up with a clever plan that would avoid direct contact during their alien-massacres, would it be a bad idea to cut the planet's TT budget by a couple points?

Agon uses a similar mechanic, and challenges GMs to retain as much Strife (its TT analog) as possible, but 3:16 seems based around the idea that all Threat is to be used. Is 3:16 too easy on the players if the TT budget is cut a bit as a reward? And, I guess the opposite approach to that would be: would 3:16 be too hard on the players if I added a couple points to a planet's TT budget and expected them to be clever somehow?

Or is the point just to roll a bunch of dice and count up alien kills regardless of details like plans or strategies?
    Last edited by Bang!; 2011-04-21 at 07:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

I'm on the player end, so I can't say much about budgets and the like, but I've encountered a lot of "Blow **** up and not care about tactics"
    The Cranky Gamer

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I'm on the player end, so I can't say much about budgets and the like, but I've encountered a lot of "Blow **** up and not care about tactics"
    Thanks. That sounds good enough for me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

How different is the finished product from the original 24-hour version, which I have downloaded and read?

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"