New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Inside 31

Masks

"We're cautious, Jack. Not against you."
    Jezebel says with a sad shake of her head.

"Says you..." Juan whispers to himself, giving him a glare.

"But Xifra is right. We have more important matters at hand than trying to strike a deal. Imperial forces will probably be needed, even though we think we have found their main nest."
    She says as she takes out a complex map. She points at a spot that seems to be....4 more levels down, and a mile away. "The Deep Exchanges." She says with a visible shudder.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

Masks

Jack gives Xifra a cursory glance, surprised. But he seems to get the message, his stance falling into something more mellow again. The hollow man doesn't return Juan's glare, nodding to the ladies reasonably. If it's not obvious to the cultists, he decides to try and earn their trust. "So. Are we letting the Imperials deal with this, or are we gonna give it a go?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Masks

Xifra falls silent, pleased to have defused the rising tension. That had been even easier than provoking it last time. Very interesting.

She stops tracing the rune and her finger marks out a different symbol. One that carries no arcane power at all.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Masks

Jezebel looks lost in thought before shaking her head. "While we have enough people and enough weapons to be able to do it, we'd easily lose half. Best to just let the Imperials do it. They can afford it and it gets us on good terms with them."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Affidavit's Hangar]

Now the birds don't take any chance. To make sure that Magtok is well and truly dead, and not going to stand up and start bouncing shots off, each bird fires off one more shot.

They're assuming the cyborg can't take five shots and live. A fair assumption, I think.
    I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. Magtok's eyes go wide and he tries to scurry away in terror, but the birds manage to pick him off anyways. Damn, there goes clone number 3.

Clone Number 4

Not intent on dying like the others, this clone packs a bit more equipment before he sets off through the hole in the roof. As he zips through the air at high speeds, the birds might notice a fancy pair of rocket boots on this clone, to let him cut through the air far faster than the average clone can.

Should he break in again without any new challenges arising, he'll try to engage the things in a dogfight, using a laser goose set to semi-HONKomatic as he dives, twists, and barrel rolls about the hangar.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    Celestial Dynamics - Grace's Office

Eric is startled by her arrival, and the pencil descends to the floor. He picks it up and stands up to greet the woman, looking a bit uncomfortable "She's apparently in battle with some kind of giant crab being that summons a rain of cupcakes and irradiates what it fights." This should be easy enough to spot as the truth, as he didn't get all of the vanilla cupcake out of his hair. "I've been trying to keep focused so that I don't worry about her." He does, in fact, look quite worried.
    "Worry about Grace?"
    The woman seems amused at the thought.
    "Well, how unfortunate. I had hoped she was stopping by. We do miss her here, after all."
    She moves over to the desk and carefully sits on top of it, her legs dangling off the front.
    "Now, what's your name?"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric considers this for a moment. Who was this woman? Why did she seem so comfortable sitting all over Grace's desk?

"Eric," he says, without hesitation, "But I'm afraid I'm at a loss for your name...?"
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

"Patience, Supervisor of Personnel Management. My card."
    The card held out to him is a slick black rectangle with bold red writing, which does confirm her name as Patience, not to mention her title. It also mentions the name of Celestial Dynamics (her business?) and lists a contact method which looks uncannily similar to a summoning ritual of some kind.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric reads the card over a few times, considering what it means that a summoning ritual is used for contacting Patience, then he pockets the card.

"If you don't mind my asking, what exactly is celestial dynamics?" Eric seems a bit cautious about Patience

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Patience gives him a look of pity.
    "Grace really didn't tell you anything, did she?"
    She stands up and gives a cough, at which the light in the room suddenly dims.
    "Reality is a tricky thing. It's shifting, changing, growing, and dying all the time, in ways most people are blissfully unaware of.
    "In many universes, one or more beings arose who began to understand just how the universe worked, at least in more detail than most of the others. Inevitably, they gravitated towards positions of power and authority. Generally speaking, they are the deities."

Glowing red smoke trails from her hands, forming designs and images that accompany her speech- countless blurry figures with a giant towering over them emphasizing her last point.

"As one might expect, greed and corruption overcame many of them. Slowly, a realization came about that more often than benevolence, divine power brings tyranny and dictatorship. A few entities in divine service banded together with the cause to bring divine power to all. When they became large enough to be noticed by the gods, the gods banded together against them and cast them out."

Patience smiles and cups her hand around the image of five beings.
    "And that was the beginning of Celestial Dynamics. We are a rogue element pitted against the gods, particularly the Heavenly Bureaucracy, with the goal of giving divine power to everyone, if only by proxy. We reshape universes to the will of its inhabitants, and ensure that the divine do not abuse their power."

11. - Top - End - #311

[Arkham Street - Ward Cemetery]

It would be hard for an injured man to move something like that by himself, wouldn't it?

Zee takes up the rear as the trio descend into darkness. And it isn't long before they reach the bottom. The walls all around consist of a hard orangery sandstone. Or perhaps simply hard-pan. Relatively easy to cut through, but prone to cave-ins. Best not take any dreadfully violent actions if it can be avoided.

Old timbers prop up the ceiling, water dripping down through trails of violent orange mildew that paints the room in a ghostly glow.

And there are bones.

Thousands of bones lodged in the walls and floors and ceiling above. Empty sockets staring blankly off into eternity.

The room itself is quite large, perhaps 140 feet long and fifteen feet wide. The trek down the iron bars left the party at the west end of the corridor, a corroded iron door standing directly behind them. On the south wall a stone slab propped up against the wall blocks off another passage. And near the center of the chamber an ornate fountain bubbles forth a steady stream of black, festering fluid that fills the whole room with the sickly sweet aroma of decay.

[Overgrown Streets]

One thing Rebonack sees quite well is magic. Even magic as small as a single spark is like a candle in a cave to the Cobalt Knight. As soon as it settles upon him he'll pluck it off and aim to crush it between the fingers of his gauntlet.

"Well well well, what had we here?" the armored monster muses as it scans the skies for anything that looks threatening. Finding nothing he'll clomp off to see if the Nexus will present him with any further means of amusement.

[Generic Street - Residential District]

Hmm...

It seems as though the assault on the Chaos Horror has ended, if only for a few moments. With nothing further attacking it the repulsive beast snatches up the corpse of one of the poor people it had irradiated recently and begins to messily devour them.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric nods. That made sense, he supposes - There was certainly enough people who didn't believe in religion in his home world. But he catches something.

"So, wait, if a being understand how reality works, they become a god? How does that even work? I was under the impression that divinity had to be attained through worship and the like"

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Joooaaaaw!

A fairly weird sound blares from Grace's position as she leans out and creates a crescent of pink light that sweeps from her to the Chaos Horror. For a second, it probably just looks pretty, but in another second it solidifies into a thin, quite sharp magical line that tries to take off a few of the monsters legs before dissipating.

[Celestial Dynamics - Grace's Office]

"I'm simplifying for you, dear. But no, worship isn't always necessary to obtain divine power. Perhaps to become a god in the more literal sense, but that's not especially the part that matters.
    "We here at Celestial Dynamics use divine power, actually, and we discourage any and all worship of our employees, especially our Arch Executives."

Patience waves a hand, dismissing the smoke and recalling the lights.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

[Overgrown Streets]

Kirk finds himself wandering the overgrown streets, once again as if driven by an unseen force. He's scanning the streets with the mirrored orbs that serve as his eyes.

He mutters under his breath continuously. "No no, not here. There are none here. I must find Them, but They must never come together."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril wrinkles his nose at the scent and coughs a bit. His nose was sensitive, what with being a werewolf. Unfortunately, the smell of death and decay was one he was all to familiar with. The drow gestures to the iron door, then looks to the others, seemingly asking "That way?" subconsciously, his hand moves to form a bit of the drow sign language he'd used to communicate in the tunnels of his homeland, long ago.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Reinholdt tilts his head and steps over to the bile fountain, looking it over closely and wrinkling his nose a bit. I think he briefly considers collecting a sample in a vial for the professors or something before deciding against it and turning back to the group.

He shrugs and nods to Raril, stepping over to the Iron door and motioning for the others to get on the other side. Before he tries to carefully and slowly open it, weapon at the ready.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2011-03-27 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric chuckles at that, "Can you say power trip?"

"So divine power and godhood don't go hand in hand then, just an understanding of reality and the way it works. Understand the way the machine works and you can start picking at the cogs and reorganizing things to get what you want done, done. Like, making people worship you, for instance."

"Please, don't simplify this on my account. If I can't keep up with all of it, that's my problem. I'd like to hear this."
    Last edited by Halae; 2011-03-27 at 04:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318

Pew!

If the monster hears the sound it doesn't react. Nor even when the crescent of magic comes hurtling toward it. Probably because it's still 'blind' due to the loss of its antenna. Those things seem to be rather important.

Less important than its limbs. It has ten of them after all. But even so losing four of them doesn't seem to make the monster at all happy. The beast whirls around, raking a blazing stream of radiation through the air in the general direction the attack came from. The attack leaves a molten trail of bubbling glass across the face of a building and a car melted into slag.

Best avoid contact with that thing. Gamma ray lasers are serious business.

...except when someone getting blasted with it dissolves into a mass of lime jello. That isn't terribly serious.

[Overgrown Streets]

And watching the watcher through no eyes at all is something else completely.

If there's one thing Rebonack likes to do it's collect artifacts. Normal magical items simply can't endure his presence. They aren't powerful enough. But artifice that wasn't crafted by mortal hands?

Things of that nature can be incorporated into the Winds of Mechius, increasing the strength of the Cobalt Knight. It's a fun, challenging hobby. Gives Rebonack the chance to kill all sorts of interesting people.

As the somewhat preoccupied Kirk ambles along the Cobalt Knight steps out into his path. "Hey elf chick. That's a nice everything you've got there."

That may seem somewhat intimidating. At least partly because the Cobalt Knight is roughly nine feet tall and built like a refrigerator.

"Okay! We can go that way!" Zee says in a way louder than strictly needed voice. Thankfully this doesn't result in any horrible monsters leaping through the wall to murder all of them.

When Rein nears the well it makes a rather disgusting sputtering noise before running dry. Some of the vile gunk seeps out onto the floor.

Then the door is opened!

A narrow passage jaunts off to the south, taking a sharp turn away from the door. The walls on either side are lined with the arms of skeletons groping lifelessly at any who tread this path. Walking here will leave one with the chilling sensation of bony fingers caressing them with every step.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

[Overgrown Streets]

The drow's head snaps toward the knight and he blinks as if he just came out of a trance. He pushes his glasses up and peers at the hulking figure.

"Powerful. The magic is practically radiating off him." He says to himself. As quick as you can blink a knife flashes into either of his hands.

"It is, isn't it? How nice of you to notice." He takes the 'chick' bit in stride.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril takes the lead again, trying not to shudder at the feeling of bony fingertips reaching out for him. If any get too offensive, he'll slash at it with the dagger in his hand.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

21. - Top - End - #321

[Overgrown Streets]

Magic radiates off the armor at least. And the shield. And his immaculately snow-white cape. While not Objects in the proper sense there's no doubt that the Cobalt Knight is bedecked in items of great power.

And he's jumping on the chance to get some more.

He sneers at the knifes from behind his visor.

"Cute. Those toys of yours are too powerful for a pitiful Fleshling like yourself to be dragging around. Give them to me."

There's no magical compulsion in the Knight's voice to speak of.

But the tone implies that rather dreadful things will result in the Seeker doesn't comply.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Reinholdt follows Raril closely and wordlessly, though one hand is on his dragontooth knife. He probably does shudder too. He's never been a huge fan of the undead. Especially groping ones.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2011-03-27 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't simplify? Fine. Well, I'm only going to say this once, so listen up, because it's complicated."
    Patience takes a small breath, then speaks.

It is quite likely one of the strangest things Eric has heard. Her voice overlays itself somehow, speaking multiple things at once in an elaborate cooperation that sounds like it should make sense... if he could understand what she was saying. As it is, it sounds somewhat like a song, partially like a command, and altogether fairly terrifying as he can probably feel energy pulsing behind the words, as if they invoked something just by being spoken.

Grace dodges back around the building she has been hiding behind, luckily having been prepared for a counter attack. She's just hoping the stuff doesn't burn all the way through the building, or that the building doesn't get picked up and thrown at her or something.

She quietly slips around to the opposite side of the building, feeling her magical ability sparking within her, and realized she probably couldn't do that again. The limitations imposed on her due to her leave were too crippling for her liking.

Nonetheless, she had her trident and its electricity, so she leaps out and sends another bolt of lightning at it, aiming for where the legs she cut off met the body of the beaast.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

[Overgrown Streets]

"You think so, do you?" Kirk glances around, searching for a means of escape. Of course he can probably just outrun the brute in heavy armour. It's not like he has a gun. >.>

"As much as I'd like to listen to you, these things are a little too important to me. So if you don't mind..." And then Kirk takes off in the direction he came.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric's eyebrows shoot up when she starts talking in this... celestial tongue maybe? well, he's certainly not going to show himself to be perturbed by this. He nods at points that seem appropriate and listens intently, without interrupting, doing his best to remember exactly what is said, even if he can't understand it.

"Well..." he says, "
    "

Alright, he wasn't expecting that. He seems to realize what he's saying about half way through saying it, but once he's done, he looks at her with a quirked eyebrow, like he intended to say that the entire way through. Of course, internally, he's going whatwasthatohmygoddidIjustsaythatohgeezewhatwastha t

The best part? he understood that. She should as well if she's spent any time in the Nth-Dimension. You know, like where Zee is from.

26. - Top - End - #326

[Overgrown Streets]

You would think you would be able to simply flee, wouldn't you?

The Cobalt Knight raises his right arm as a portion of the gauntlet reconfigures into a wide slot. This is most certainly a weapon he's used before!

chaTHONK!

A single gear roughly the size of a compact disk is launched from the gauntlet and goes speeding off toward Kirk's back at several hundred miles an hour. Between the teeth of the spinning gear are other smaller gears, likewise spinning. As do they have more gears between their teeth and so on down to an absurdly small scale.

Each razor edged.

Suffice to say it'll carve a pretty messy hole through the drow if it strikes him.

None of the skeletal limbs attack. None of them even seem to be animated. Though given the nature of skeletal undead it can be difficult to tell the difference when they remain still.

At the end of the passage the party steps into a chamber roughly fifteen feet on each side, the ceiling so low that one is forced to stoop lest they strike their head. A large pillar of what appears to be green soap-stone stand erect in the middle of the room, its surface carved with the shapes of grotesque, unspeakable things. Lining the walls of the chamber are shallow shelves each holding a shriveled, mummified corpse.

Each shelf.

Save for three.

Grace blasts the Horror with more lightning!

The current rips into the monster's innards, crackling out of its empty eye (antenna?) sockets and coursing over its whole form. It jitters a bit. Spasms. Then explodes in a deafening blast of kazoo honks. Everyone within a good fifty feet of the monster runs the risk of getting splattered with flaming, irradiated flan.

Eric may get a rather sudden and rather strange feeling that something briefly turned its attention on him, regarding him with the sort of aloof interest that a human might pay to an unusually colorful butterfly.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2011-03-27 at 06:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

[Overgrown Streets]

At the sound of the weapon firing, Kirk darts to the side. The Objects enhancing his body aid him greatly in this attempt to dodge. Even so he does not entirely avoid the attack that would have killed him instantly. Instead it nicks his side, shredding it up a bit and breaking a few lower ribs.

The drow hits the ground with a thud. He's not down for the count yet. Turning onto his back, with a grunt of pain, he flings one of his knives expertly at the knight's face. He doesn't hope to actually harm the heavily armoured monster, but it might distract him long enough for Kirk to get off the ground and run into a nearby alley. His running is much slower of course.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Halfling in the Playground

Masks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Xifra falls silent, pleased to have defused the rising tension. That had been even easier than provoking it last time. Very interesting.

She stops tracing the rune and her finger marks out a different symbol. One that carries no arcane power at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Jezebel looks lost in thought before shaking her head. "While we have enough people and enough weapons to be able to do it, we'd easily lose half. Best to just let the Imperials do it. They can afford it and it gets us on good terms with them."

Jack gives Xifra another glance, smiling with a vague expression. Again, that slight twinge of discomfort. Then he looks at Jezebel, frowning. "Fine, then. Well, do you need any other assistance? I'm sure Xifra and I'd be happy to oblige."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2011-03-27 at 06:38 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #329

[Overgrown Streets]

"Well shucks, didn't kill him," Rebonack laments as the knife plinks off his helmet. The thing doesn't even have any eyes holes. Makes it difficult for such weapons to cause any real degree of harm. That's the nice thing about full plate!

The downside to full plate is that it tends to slow you down a bit.

Except when the armor in question is magically enhanced to augment one's movements. Then that isn't much of an issue.

The Cobalt Knight takes off in the dead sprint, grieves pounding on the fleshy alien biomass-encrusted street. Should he catch up with Kirk he'll aim to cut the drow's legs out from under him with a well-timed swing of his buzz-saw axe.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Bugbear in the Playground

AMEN Warehouse

Gordon appears here. He goes and sits down. He needs to calm down.