New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Inside 31

[Arkham Street - Ward Cemetery]

One for each of them. Lovely.

Raril stoops, and tries to stick to the outside edges of the room. The decicated corpses were preferable to standing near that strange looking pillar. He didn't like it. And it was obviously added after the fact. Not natural. Not native to the chamber. A part of him thought to destroy it, but that would probably bring the whole place crashing down onto their heads.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

"We should burn the bodies." Reinholdt says, his thoughts going to the idea that the three empty ones meant three things out there on the loose.

He looks around. Looks like it would take a while though. Perhaps too long.

He crouches and follows Raril looking around for other exits to the room besides the one they came through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

[Overgrown Streets]

For all Kirk's subtle enhancements provided by the Objects, a straight up speed increase was not one of them. Maybe if he had a couple more.

Kirk turns just as Rebonack bears down on him. He levels an impressive alien laser tommy gun that he produced from his jacket. He opens fire. Green lasers fly toward the cobalt knight's head.

Now, if that doesn't slow the knight, Kirk will find himself missing a pair of important limbs.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Halfling in the Playground

[Affidavit's Hangar]

Well, this is just getting tedious for the birds. Although Magtok has hit on a good tactic, since the hangar itself isn't large enough for the birds to move about easily. They're capable of near-vertical take-offs, they basically just fly up and out, meaning the hangar doesn't take up much space.

Of course, if a jetpack-equipped cyborg were to blast his way through and engage the birds in the hangar itself, this has a problem.

When it was created, Affidavit considered the hangar secure, since the empire do a good job of protecting Inside. Alas, now he is no longer allied with the empire, he can no longer rely on that protection.

And since Magtok decided to attack this hangar, despite it remaining inactive for so long...

Look, to summarise, Affidavit is somewhat poorly prepared for once. He'd never admit it, but, there y'go.

So, yeah, the birds are trying their best to shoot back, but in their attempts to keep outta the way of laser fire, they're kind of getting in the way of each other.

Meanwhile, several rather simple creations, with no facial features at all, no mouth, no fancy gimmicks or anything, are busy scaling the wall of the hangar, aiming to make their way up the roof. Seems a couple of workers were left in here, just in case something happened.

So Affidavit isn't entirely unprepared, just not...adequately prepared.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Overgrown Streets]

The lasers heat up Rebonack's armor to a degree that the head of a normal human would surely be cooked inside it! Sadly Rebonack isn't a normal human and his 'head' is no more important than any other part of him.

Seriously. He's been decapitated and continued fighting on more than one occasion.

Looks like Kirk is going to be doing an impression of troso boy here in the near future.

And that's just terrible, isn't it?

Burning the bodies would either be a really good idea or a really terrible idea. Not really sure which, honestly.

Zee thwacks her head on a rather mean rock as she enters the chamber, grunting in pain and generally looking quite cross as a result. She honestly seems more interested in the orange fungus growing in sickly patches all over the place.

As Raril and Rein circle the room it won't be all that long before they return to the point where they had entered in the first place.

It's a wall now. Simply another wall with shelves to hold a few more mummified cadavers.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Celestial Dynamics - Grace's Office

Patience merely raises an eyebrow.
    "That all said, Grace and I are both employees. You're in a very small segment of Celestial Dynamics headquarters."

[Generic Street - Residential District]

Grace focuses on her magic and her Aurora ring, trying to create a shield that will contain the radiation... but it is faltering and not particularly strong. It might contain some of it, but if it is struck too hard, or she's a bit unlucky, some of it might still burst through.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

[Overgrown Streets]

Terrible is a good word to describe it. Unless you look from Rebonack's point of view. Then it's delightful.

Kirk hits the ground hard, bleeding profusely from the stumps where his legs used to be. Normally he'd spit some sort of profanity at the person who did that to him, but he's too busy screaming in pain.

On the plus side, Rebonack gets a few more artifacts. Four to be precise. That tommy gun is nifty too. Hopefully he doesn't just step on it. I'm sure Magtok put a lot of work into it.

8. - Top - End - #338

[Overgrown Streets]

"Well well," the Cobalt Knight sneers as he clomps to a halt, very likely crushing the laser gun under one of his armored grieves in the process. "Not bad, elf chick. You lost a bit of weight since I saw you last! Should publish that diet of yours. Could make millions!"

He hefts his axe above his head.

"Y'know. If you weren't dead and all."

The wicked weapon is then brought down to sever the drow's head from his body.

Should that slay him the Knight will stoop down and begin gathering up his Objects. What follows is...

Interesting.

Countless microscopic cogs detach from Rebonack's armor like a silvery haze, swirling around the Objects and replacing their physical substance atom by atom whilst absorbing their tremendous magical power.

That's what the Winds of Mechius does.

An artifact that assimilates other artifacts.

It was a dark day when the Cobalt Knight acquired it.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

"Burning things might not be such a good idea after all." Now that the room seems to be closed off.

Reinholdt tries walking backwards the exact way he came to see if that makes the door reappear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Raril goes to feel at the wall where the door should be. He figured it was an illusion of some sort.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

"That makes sense, what with it being Grace's office and all." Eric isn't mocking her - sarcasm is just his default mode. "You were expecting to find her here and found me instead, right?"
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

[Overgrown Streets]

Kirk loses his head in a rather messy manner. Not that there are a lot of ways to lose your head that aren't messy.

In any case, the Nexus is a much worse place now. Woe, WOE!

There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Anyway.

Oh, and something interesting happens when Rebonack noms on the Objects. He'll discover that when his armour destroys the first one he gains nothing from it. The power slips away to reform the Object anew under the care of a new Holder.

He might want to stop eating them.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2011-03-27 at 10:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Bugbear in the Playground

Talia managed to duck behind a large chunk of what used to be car, keeping her safe from the remains of the monster.

That was an interesting experience.

She peers around, and catches sight of Grace.

Hey! The demon-like woman crawls out from behind the car and walks to Grace. Once stuff stops falling from the sky, of course.

That was...awesome, actually.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

14. - Top - End - #344
    Halfling in the Playground

[Pleasant Street - Weudan Household]

Jack could feel it slipping away almost the second he broke inside. His joy and his thrill. He'd needed a proper experiment to test what he was feeling. Where better to begin but a few mundane innocents? The crack of wood, the cries of the children, the roar of daddy's energy weapon. The crack of daddy's ribs as he hit the fireplace. He's still alive. Why do you care? The children's screams muzzled. Mother, sweet and young and afraid, screaming at him. Don't hurt her babies. Oh, god, please.

So the hollow man hit her instead. He was just so numb. He needed to feel something. To feel fear. The sick man needed a confirmation that he was, in fact, still alive. Jack needed to fill a void that only seemed to get fatter the more he fed it. And when she stared at him, lip split, bruises already forming, tears running down her face, the hollow man felt nothing. No. He felt disgust.

The kitchen. Pleasant yellow. Old-fashioned home phone. 911. Hello, I'd like to report an assault on 370 Pleasant Street. Send an ambulance. Oh, yeah, I did it. Hang up. Can't hear anything. So numb.

Jack.

Go to the children. Kneel. Look at the son. Looks like me. Cute kid. Ears ringing. No, Jack. Everything hurts. No it doesn't. Don't wanna hurt him. Jack, stop! Why can't I make it go away? No! You've been like this too long! You don't just get to--

What is wrong with me?

The broken man's feet don't make a sound. He's gone before the sirens arrive.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2011-03-27 at 10:18 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

15. - Top - End - #345

[Overgrown Streets]

"Well damn," the Cobalt Knight swears as that pretty little ring's power slips away. Oh well. He had to give it a shot. Guess he'll just have to wield the junk the old fashioned way!

No harm in that, right? It's been a while since he's used tools that aren't bound to his armor. Best be careful with them. Don't want them to be stolen!

See, even if his armor couldn't assimilate their power they can still analyze. And these things are fragments. Pieces of a whole. But a whole that does what? The armor suggests it's a weapon.

A weapon of awe inspiring power. And that sounds pretty kickass. Gotta catch 'em all, right?

Rebonack gathers up the rest of the Objects, stowing them away in his snowy white mantel for safe keeping. Except the shades. He looks at the shades in his gauntlet as his helm peels away, revealing the riot of arcane power below. "Well... I guess you could say..."

He dons the sunglasses.

"They Objected to my meddling."

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAH!

Raril will find a wall. No illusion. And walking backwards doesn't seem to help either. Though as Kitteh walks backwards he stumbles into a trap! Oh noes!

Several skeletal hands burst out of the floor and aim to grab his legs!

Zee is prodding at some of that gross orange fungus. She seems very distracted by it. Poke poke poke.

The monsters are defeated, yay!

And fourteen people are dead. Some rent apart. Some burned by radiation. And some converted into random non-living objects.

That guy who stumbled out of the flaming house is still laying face-down in a shallow puddle.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Reinholdt eeps and tries to fly upwards only to smack the ceiling.
    What sort of trap goes off when you walk backwards and not forwar...

"Mind affecting spores. Don't breathe." Regardless of this possible epiphany and horrible advice, he kicks at the skeleton arms, trying to free himself.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2011-03-27 at 10:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

"What?!" Rein gets a weird look from Raril. "That's not an option! Dammit..." Raril growls and digs though his bag to pull out... a gas mask? And it wasn't the underdark style one he usually carried. In fact it looked like something out of world war one. Thinking he didn't have time to consider the change, the drow slips it on over his head.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #348

"Huh...?" would be Zee's reply, glancing up from poking at the fungus. There are no mind-control spores! Zee is just being Zee.

Silly.

The skeletal hands are kicked at. They hang on rather adamantly. It'll take a bit more effort than that to wriggle free to be quite honest. Aside from simply holding him in place the skeletal hands don't really appear to be doing much of anything.

Aside, of course, from being really creepy.

After sufficient struggle (and perhaps some help) Kitteh will escape with just a few scratches to show for it. Unless of course he's scratch resistant. Then he would get away with no scratches.

Once Rein is clear the arms retreat back into the ground.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Reinholdt is not scratch resistant.
    And is extra-wary of fungus ever since that fungus zombie attacked and nearly turned him into one and he panicked and ran around screaming like a maniac.
    >>
    Reinholdt doesn't like spores.
    He puts a clothe over his mouth and nose for breathing.

Reinholdt frowns. Now, how do they get out?
    He goes to check the column/pillar thing in the middle of the room more closely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    Magmart

And Harnel will find himself yet again being taken along by the little Gremlin. He keeps on carrying everything, even if he wonders at the necessity of it all, and follows behind Iggy
    Harnel - or possibly one of the helpful magbots serving the shop - might remember that paying for things is the generally excepted norm, both elsewhere and in the Nexus.

Iggy certainly doesn't care.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Magmart

Harnel suffered a brief lapse of judgment in following Iggy towards the exit. He'll stop and say, "Shouldn't, you know, pay for these?"

22. - Top - End - #352

Magmart

Iggy sighs melodramatically and rolls his eyes at Harnel.

Probably! I dunno, could you fight your way out of here? He's not serious, and is already turning to head to the cash registers. Come on.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post

"That makes sense, what with it being Grace's office and all." Eric isn't mocking her - sarcasm is just his default mode. "You were expecting to find her here and found me instead, right?"
    "Indeed. In fact, it seems a bit strange to find someone else in her office in her absence. I can't say I recall any other such incidents, and Grace has been with us a very long time."
    Patience crosses her arms as she rests against a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post

Talia managed to duck behind a large chunk of what used to be car, keeping her safe from the remains of the monster.

That was an interesting experience.

She peers around, and catches sight of Grace.

Hey! The demon-like woman crawls out from behind the car and walks to Grace. Once stuff stops falling from the sky, of course.

That was...awesome, actually.
    "Not the word I'd pick."
    Grace says with a sigh, letting her shield fall, presumably along with any of the radioactive material inside. Assuming there is no one nearby the shield, that is, otherwise she'll try and move it and dispose of it more carefully.
    "Quite a few people dead, a large radioactive mess that needs to be cleaned up and quite a bit of destroyed property... if it had just been a clean, successful fight I might agree, but not this."

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Eric smiles and says, "Suspicion is good - It shows good priorities. Grace and I were having a conversation when those chaos monsters I told you about showed up. First thing she told me was that she had to get me away from there, and opened up a random door. I went into the hallway, and she told me to go into her office and wait for her to get back. I was just occupying myself when you showed up."

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

"I see. I suppose I'll wait here until she shows up then."
    Patience says firmly, crossing her arms.

As it happens, Grace reenters at this time. She looks fairly beat.

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Affidavit's Hangar]

Meanwhile, several rather simple creations, with no facial features at all, no mouth, no fancy gimmicks or anything, are busy scaling the wall of the hangar, aiming to make their way up the roof. Seems a couple of workers were left in here, just in case something happened.

So Affidavit isn't entirely unprepared, just not...adequately prepared.
    Magtok doesn't notice the creations scaling the walls, far too occupied with the birds to check the MagSat cameras.

Come on you stupid birds, can't you at least pretend to keep up? The animal you were based on spent forever and a half evolving to master flight and stuff, are you really going to be outdone by some mammal with fancy shoes?

He fires some more lasers at the birds with his semi-honkomatic, before lobbing some grenades about to distract the birds. He doesn't throw particularly far or fast, his arm being as weak as it is, but he does remember to pull the pins this time.

MagMart

A cashierbot rings up the purchases for the duo.

Alright sir, that'll be [Amount of Money]. Oh, and might I interest you in our new PC MagClub membership card? Seven percent off all your future purchases, for the low price of one of the Objects or an item of equal value!
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2011-03-28 at 06:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

[Grace's Office - Celestial Dynamics]

"Grace!" Eric exclaims, and rushes over to her, "Are you alright?"

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

"Yeah, I'm fine."
    She doesn't appear hurt, just quite fatigued. Then again, her suit is doing a good job of covering her up, so if she had an injury it might not be obvious.
    "Are you ready to go?"
    Her eyes slip over to Patience, but she doesn't say anything.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, sure, let's go." Eric says, looking at her a bit strangely. Mostly, he's wondering how she handled herself against those monsters, but he isn't about to ask for something she's not willing to share.

He also glances back at Patience, seeing her reaction to Grace's appearance

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

"In such a hurry to leave, Grace? I'm hurt."
    Patience does indeed look quite unhappy.
    "We do miss you here, after all."

"Work calls, Patience. I'm sure you know that just as well as I do."
    Grace responds curtly.
    "I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to catch up when I return."
    She turns resolutely away from Patience and heads back out of her office and into the hallway, where she searches for the key to the door labeled "Aurora." Presumably Eric tags along, though he'll have to walk pretty quick to keep up with her. Grace seems eager to leave.