New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Inside 31

[Generic Street - Residential District]

"Well-"
    She shouldn't ignore this. But keeping Eric around was indeed a very bad idea.
    "No. I have to deal with this."
    Her eyes dart around the area, then she nods to herself.
    "Right, this way."

She runs towards the closest building, which looks like... some kind of storehouse. There is a peeling sign above the door that says something about feed. Ignoring this, Grace shakes her silver bracelet and gets the key on it into her hand.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Talia has to quickly duck to dodge the physics-defying flying car.

She stands back up and turns to the monster responsible.

Oh, now it's on! She'll quickly charge up one of her energy spheres and throw it at the monster. Whichever spot looks the softest.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Generic Street

Oddly enough, rather than splating on his head, as soon as eric notices the cupcake hurtling towards him, it'll stop in mid-air.

...What?

And then, Grace pulls his focus away from it, and it continues its baked descent onto his unprotected head, leaving a bunch of frosting and sprinkles in his hair. He doesn't look impressed with that fact, but he doesn't try to talk Grace out of it - she knows what she's capable of better than he does.

"Yeah, let's go." And Eric goes with her
    Last edited by Halae; 2011-03-26 at 09:48 PM.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Grace puts her key in the door, opens it, and...
    Hey, it's a funny hallway. There's a door with a label that says "Grace's Office" on it, among other things.
    "If you wait in my office, you'll be safe, and I'll come back to get you when I'm done. Is that okay?"
    There's little explanation, but Grace's rush is pretty understandable.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Generic Street => Grace's Office?

Eric blinks when he sees the sign, as he wipes cupcake out of his hair. He's not in a mood to argue. "Yeah, sure. Don't get hurt." and he'll move inside quickly

6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground

The burning guy that ran out of the house and collapsed?

Yeah.

He's still burning. Poor guy.

By now it's terribly obvious that something bad is going down and the non-powered sorts are fleeing their vehicles and running for cover. Unfortunately the movement is picked up by the feathery antenna. The Horror that isn't presently being assaulted by Eig blasts one of the fleeing humans!

The poor man is vaporized!

...and explodes in a shower of woven wicker baskets. Sadly the residual heat from the ionized air has set the baskets aflame. Pity. They were nice baskets, too.

The monster turns its attention to the car it had smashed and begins rending it apart with two pairs of massive pincers. Only to be interrupted by Talia's energy ball! Blamo! The Horror staggers, but given that it doesn't appear to have any soft parts... With a grunt the monster rips the car's back axle off and hurls it at the mutant.

As for Eig's friend! The spikes that burst from the ground are enough to knock the monster off balance, even gouging into its deep crimson carapace and springing a flow of molten blood. Though with its ten limbs (each unique and equally deadly) the horror is able to quickly regain its balance. And fires another radiation stream at the people eater!
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

[Celestial Dynamics - Grace's Office]

"I'm sure I'll be fine."
    She flashes him a smile, then pulls out her pen- wait, no, that's a trident covered in pink lightning. Was she always carrying that thing? Yikes.
    The door closes behind her, and then vanishes altogether, leaving a dead end in a white hallway.

There are a few other doors, each with its own label. One is marked Aurora, another two have blank labels, another says Sharn, and the last two are marked Nexus Center and Grace's Office.

Grace, meanwhile, spins away from the door and runs towards the horror assaulting the civilians, the cracking 'electricity' on her trident building up as she rushes in, looking for any obvious weak points... though the presence of those seems unlikely.

8. - Top - End - #248

Yikes!

Talia dives forward to dodge, right off the roof. She flips in the air and lands on all fours, quickly standing back up.

So, you don't do much talking, huh? She charges an energy sphere in each hand and launches them both.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

9. - Top - End - #249

[Generic Street - Riftway Station - Residential District]

Generally, when public transit station is temporarily out of service due to the proximity of a 'Horrible Monster Battle,' the more savvy individual would simply try to start walking to their destination rather than just wait around. Nephea saw it as an opportunity for street theater.

The only problem would be in finding the battle in particular.

That wasn't really much of a problem when one could climb to the rooftops and just follow the sounds of explosions..

Though...

Was that the sound of someone exploding into wicker baskets? Nephea wasn't exactly sure as she honestly had no idea how her brain reached such a conclusion. It was a little frightening, really...

But that aside, Eig and the the Horror would have a rooftop spectator in short order.

Hopefully nobody would try to take pot-shots at her.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2011-03-26 at 10:10 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

For a moment, Eric stares at the 'wall' Grace just closed. That was all quite surreal. Then, he thinks about the cupcake. It had floated for a moment, right? What the hell?

he does as he was told and moves over to Grace's office, where he'll sit in a corner away from anything that looks in any way official. This wouldn't be the first time he's been in an office and screwed something up, and he doesn't really wanna take that chance this time. What does the office look like?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Eig'Quzi howls in anguish as he is once again covered by radiation. The purple monster's carapace is now quite not purple; it's glowing so bright it might hurt the eyes to look at it. Since the monster has eyes too, it must close them to avoid... even more damage than they've probably already taken. Really, it should be blind (and disintegrated), but void beasts probably have resistance to radiation. Or something.

The Purple People Eater roars in fury and starts... charging at the Chaos Horror attacking it. The no-longer-well-dressed monster will try to tackle the bigger monster. Eig is very heavy compared to most people, but whether the eleven foot tall monster can shift the giant crab is another question. Maybe it doesn't want to tackle it to the ground, though, as Eig's body is radiating searing heat and it's huge spike arms, aiming to impale, are very pointy. I doubt the Chaos Horror will be hurt by its own radiation, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Caesar, Shakespeare
    Cowards die many times before their deaths;
    The valiant never taste of death but once.
    Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come.
    Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #252

Weak points?

Like giant throbbing herniated organs? Nope. The Chaos Horrors have none of those. Just hulking mountains of jagged carapace and gnashing claws. And big feathery antenna. But none of those could possibly be weak points, right?

Best to just continue hurling projectiles into their armor haphazardly. Like those two! The blasts manage to sheer off some of the monster's armor but do little to slow it down. One claw splits open and spews a quick pulse of radiation at the mutant!

...and misses.

Hits the ground about five feet away from her, turning the dirt into bubbling molten glass. Which then abruptly swells into a four foot tall volcano that begins to spit out water and carbon dioxide in a vinegar and baking soda reaction.

Oh.

And a piano. It also spits out a piano at Talia.

Eig tackles the nine foot tall horror! The creature proves to be unnaturally dense. As though made of solid metal rather than flesh or bone. Though it does stagger back several steps. And get a rather nasty hole stabbed into its torso.

Eig's limb is now shoved into the molten heart of the Horror. Which is probably bad. About as bad as the fact that it's red-hot to the touch and using six of its ten limbs to try ripping at the people eater.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Orc in the Playground

Only nine feet? Huh. I had thought they were much bigger. Whoops.

Eig'Quzi howls in pain once more as the tip and upper part of its spike arm completely melts, and its glowing carapace is rented in places. Not a very pleasant sensation. The wounds inflicted by the six limps ooze glowing blood, which is usually a very dark red color. The monster tries to get a shallower grip with its more hand-like claws while moving its head toward the Chaos Horror's head. Or at least wherever the closest antennae connects to.

The purple people eater opens its jaws and... attempts to bite the other monster's head off. Its maw stretches unnaturally wide and its teeth are just as radioactively-heated as the its armored body.

Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #254

Nom!

The Horror's head is now gone.

And the purple people eater may find a bunch of molten blood getting spewn into his face! Yuck! Also ouch! The stuff is no doubt radioactive too.

As soon as its head is gone the Chaos Horror begins spasming and thrashing about violently! Which may result in more painful wounds!

And then it will explode.

Explode like a can of whipping cream might explode.

Yes. There's now flaming whipping cream everywhere.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

The door to Grace's office swings open easily, and Eric will find himself entering a room that looks quite official, very organized, and a somewhat disturbing blend of mundane and strange. Prominently placed in the room is a beautiful mahogany desk, on which is a single scroll. The scroll is neatly tied shut with a single pink ribbon, but the knot is loose and could probably be opened if he felt like snooping.

Off to one side of the desk are numerous strips of paper hanging in the air, each a long, thin rectangle. There is no visible means of support for them, but nevertheless, they float in a way reminiscent of a mobile of some kind. If Eric knows about such things, he might recognize them as prayer strips... but there is nothing on them.

On the opposite wall is a painting of a tower. The tower is not finished, but countless people and creatures are working on it, building it up towards the sun, which shines brightly just out of reach. Above the tower, but below the sun, is the white silhouette of an angel with six wings.

The wall to his left seems to made mostly frosted glass and wooden frame, with a single door in it of a similar make. He can see a bit of movement just outside, but not what it is, beyond vague humanoid shapes.

Antenna? Perfect! She'll just slash at it with... her... trident.
    No wonder so many people use swords.
    A little irritated by this, Grace starts moving around to flank the creature, leaving one side to Talia. As she moves, she gets a good aim on the feathery antenna, then raises her trident.
    An arc of vivid pink lightning strikes from her trident's tips towards one of the antenna, attempting to fry it and possibly a bit more, following it down to where it meets the body, and perhaps tracing further internally, depending on its biology.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

Eig'Quzi makes horrible gnashing sounds with its teeth and gutturally growls while devouring the head. Then it noticeably grows in size after ingesting the body part. The purple people eater quickly moves its head away from the molten blood, but doesn't seem to have too much trouble since it healed slightly after adding the head's mass to its form.

And then the Chaos Horror explodes. Eig'Quzi is sent hurtling back, rolling comically as it does so. And then a solid-looking building stops the hurtling monster, cracks appearing on both the concrete and the monster's carapace, though the building takes the worst of the damage.

The purple people eater doesn't seem like it's going to be getting up any time soon. Though it does lick a bit of whip cream off its face, so it can't be unconscious. Mmm... whip cream...

Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Overgrown Streets]

Lack of success?

It left three nice big damaged craters in Rebonack's armor! That's something at least! Though now that he isn't getting shot at anymore the Cobalt Knight's artifact armor is already dissembling itself around the impact marks and re-integrating into a less compromised configuration.

Hit and run is not the way to bring the Cobalt Knight down.

He simply glares an eyeless glare at the billowing cloud of dust and debris obscuring that stupid thing he shot at. He totally had a bad-ass one-liner to quip after killing it too! Stupid thing ruining his fun...

Oh well.

By now the Cobalt Knight's right gauntlet has split apart into a rather unfriendly looking cannon with four inward facing prongs and a sickly green energy crackling between the gaps.

One of the plants is blasted at with the thing. Said plant may find itself getting transmuted into helium of precisely equal mass. Yay Disintegrate!
    Consumers don't consider anything less than a new meal success.

The plant doesn't just turn to helium, it erupts in a blueish spray! The chemical makeup of this flora is not to be trusted!

Crickle-crackle-CRASH!

Sensing the danger to their cultivator and themselves, the plants retaliate! Several shoot spines at the cobalt knight, or acid, or detachable thorny vines, but definitely the worst is the giant spike-tipped tentacle made out of the purple webbing that just burst from the roof!

Thug Hideout

((Well, sorry, Harnel, but you didn't really give me much to work with either, when you didn't really react to beating a man to a pulp with your fists!

Anywho...))

One of the remaining thugs levels an automatic pistol at Eric and lets loose a spray of bullets before being knocked to the ground and eaten alive!
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

18. - Top - End - #258

A piano? That's...unexpected.

Talia's stunned for a moment by this. But, manages to move out of the way, so as not to be crushed by the piano. Some shrapnel still catches her, though. A few scratches here and there.

Talia gets another energy sphere ready as she finds a good spot to throw it. She sees where Grace is aiming, and figures that's as good an idea as any. She looks for the nearest, non-lightninged antenna and throws the sphere at it.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arkham Street - Ward Cemetery]
    Spoiler
    Show

Zee tries her best not to giggle when Raril begins screaming. But given the nature of the prank that was apparently just pulled on them it's pretty darn hard to resist.

Rein will find that several of the havestmen are nibbling at him. It feels kind of itchy. But it's doubtful it will cause any damage. Though... if he weren't wearing that weird pendant of his this would probably be a lot more horrifying.

Zee wrinkles her nose a bit. Then stoops down to pick up one of the arachnids. Only to toss it away rather quickly and begin stomping on the ones that are on the ground. "Cyphophthal! They're offspring of Cyphophthal! Kill them! Kill all of them! Don't let a single one get away!"

Stomp stomp stomp!

Apparently aware now that the jig is up the gross little spider-like things leap off Rein and go skittering away toward every dark corner and crack!
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97 View Post

And suddenly there were hundreds of little Far-tainted spiders jumping towards Raril. It's safe to say he panics a bit. Still, he has the courtesy to shout "Get down!" before calling on his magical abilities and summoning a (partially illusionary) ball of fire to scorch the whole lot of the spiders.
    Booooored

Time to make things happen.

Something went awry.

The car melts as a coherent stream of radiation peels through it, vaporizing the occupants' flesh and burning their bones.

Something went terribly awry.

Another horrible crustacean-like monstrosity bursts through the wall of the burning home even as the roof falls in. Bits of blazing debris cling to its carapace but cause little in the way of harm. The torrential rain seems unwilling to quench the fire as it hisses into steam.

Something went so terribly awry.

And...

Now it's raining cupcakes? Mostly vanilla, but a few chocolate ones as well. The two nine-foot tall aberrant decapods don't seem too interested in the pastries. More interested in destroying anything more complicated than a rock.

Raril has burninated all the spiders! Thankfully they're much less durable than people. Otherwise this probably would have been fairly awful.

Zee blinks, her face blackened by the fireball.

Dead spiders lay on the floor smoldering and crackling.

Reinholdt blinks. Looks his eyes up at the single flame in hair that was sticking up. Reaches up and smothers it with his fingers.
    Then breaths a bit of smoke, a lot of him singed, but most his body protected with his heavy clothing from major damage. His eyebrows are missing now though.
    "Owwww..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

20. - Top - End - #260

Nephea was rather glad that she had decided to watch. Random monster battles were the most common form of street theater in the Nexus.

Usually, though, street theater didn't involve flaming whipped cream everywhere. Flaming other things, yes. But usually not burning dairy product. The catamander ducked as a glob of it sailed just over her head. Comically, it passed between her ears and horns as if it they were goal posts.

Peaking back up from her hiding spot to see if the fight was over, the thief would probably stick around for a moment or three more just in case more things decided to fly her way.

If not, then she would probably go back to her regularly scheduled... Well, she didn't have anything scheduled in particular but she could likely find something to pencil in.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Celestial Dynamics - Grace's Office

Eric is most certainly tempted by the loosely tied scroll, but thinks better of it for several reasons; he can't tie bows like that, and so it would be obvious he was the one tampering with it, and beyond even just that it would be a huge betrayal of trust to someone who had been nothing but exceptionally kind to him this entire time.

Instead he's going to do as he was told. He respects Grace too much to do otherwise, and he already gave his word. Thus, he takes a seat on the floor next to the door, and begins wiping the cupcake out of his hair. Thankfully there isn't much, but he's certainly going to need a shower now.

That, of course turns his mind to what had happened outside. The cupcake hat floated for a moment, hadn't it? Until he stopped focusing on it? Weird. This required some looking into.

So, he pulls a mechanical pencil out of his pocket. he's always liked the mechanical ones because the ones you have to sharpen leave shavings everywhere and it's much easier to get uniform lines with a mechanical one. He holds it out in front of him, attempting to hold it still like he did with the cupcake. It'll take him a few tries, but eventually, he actually manages to keep it steady in the air, though he has to focus on it constantly if he wants it to remain there. He'll likely be focusing on it the entire time that grace is not here, so he'll just be experimenting with his funky pencil floating power. Woo for the characters not taking part in a fight.

Thug Hideout

((I was roleplaying it as Eric just going along with everything, and that he'd become truly aware of his actions later, since he's caught up in the hunt right now. Not much I could have done with your description with playing off that ))

Eric ducks down out of the way as the bullets fly through the air. One though, actually manages to graze an arm. guess this is the one thug that actually got lucky enough to hit some thing. He is now bleeding, and a slightly dark stain is forming on his denim jacket, but he's nowhere close to going down, and kicks another man in the face.

It's once his foot does that he really realizes what's going on. Or is starting too. Of course, he sees no reason to stop himself from having a superstrength power trip when it means a bunch of idiot criminals with guns are going to be laid low. He'll continue on in this fashion until all the thugs are down

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Thug Hideout

((Sorries ))

The thug's face is shattered, and he is laid low, clutching at his face and never seeing the wolfhound that comes to finish him off. A few final thugs are starting to run away, but the hounds seem intent on removing them from this earth. One waves a knife at Eric, then thinks the better of it and hides out in a closet.

"Please let me live! All I did was steal some stuff and sell 'the spice'!"
    Last edited by TechnoScrabble; 2011-03-26 at 11:21 PM.

(Recaiden) He lives!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Thug Hideout

And... a jolt. Eric wasn't expecting any of them to beg for their lives. He isn't sure if he was expecting anything at all - it all seemed a bit like a fever dream - all red and angry and going to kill something in a haze. But the Hunt was telling him one thing - that these men deserved it. This man was telling him another, that he didn't. Rather than think it through himself, Eric is going to step aside and let the hounds decide. He feels his head is too foggy to decide such things on his own.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Thug Hideout

The wolfhounds don't seem to have the same qualms as Eric, as they slam down the door. The poor young idiot's screams are almost bloodcurdling, and several blood spatters fly against the opposite wall.

And then, it's done. All the thugs and gang members are dead and dismembered.

Eric will hear a strange sound behind him, like a mixture of bells of all sizes and wind chimes of all shapes being rung at once.

(Recaiden) He lives!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Thug Hideout

Eric will spin around, moving into a fighting stance, just in case, and will examine where this sound came from, making sure to keep himself defended if he finds himself attacked

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Thug Hideout

Standing there is a man in dark brown homespun robes, almost like a druidic grim reaper's cloak. The hood hides his face, but there seems to be a toothy smile in the shadows. The man (?) is tall, and broad, but hunched over, obviously strong but also obviously ancient. His cloak is wrapped in bells and wind chimes, and he has a tall, gnarled wooden staff that is similarly adorned. The wolfhounds gather around him and sit, lie down, or roll over to be pet, almost looking cute despite the fact they're soaked with thug blood.

The man speaks, and it's like he's whispering loudly from inside Eric's head.

"You have done well, hunter. The pack commends your skill. I assume you wish to take one of my hounds as your own?"

(Recaiden) He lives!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Thug Hideout

Eric is tempted to say 'sure, whatever floats your boat' but thinks better of i, as that would be incredibly disrespectful of a being who apparently controls a bunch of hounds that can destroy an entire group of hooligans in less than two minutes.

So, he simply says, "Yes, if you're willing to part with one."

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Thug Hideout

"You seem a good enough person, take whichever you choose," the smile grows even wider, "I shall stay here and tend to the others. Joining in on a hunt isn't always good for one's...sanity."

(Recaiden) He lives!

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    "A little slice off each of your souls. If you've got any left. And don't worry, they'll regenerate. Maybe some extra priveleges or something, too." Jack says, pondering as he looks them over. "As for control? I don't want to rule over you. Although I wouldn't mind telling Juan what to do..." He smirks at the daemonhost. Of course, he fully intends to mark everyone with a mental influence ward. They'll subtly, slowly start to respect, fear, or love him. Depending. It's a slow way to gain power over such a large group, but it might work.
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    Masks

Xifra grins, still leaning with one arm around Jack, tracing her fingers along his spine. "Sometimes Juan likes being told what to do, don't you?"
    As soon as Jack mentions souls, Jezebel speaks up. "No. Our souls belong to Slaanesh, and no one else. As for Juan, no one controls him. He is here of his own will. Do not mistake me being the leader, and in charge, for control. As you've been informed, freedom of choice is a large ideal here." She tells them.

Juan smirks at Xifra. "Perhaps, but so do you if I recall correctly."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Thug Hideout

Eric's eyes immediately go to one that's a good deal larger than most of the other hounds. It'd have dappled gray fur and essentially just be larger and meaner looking than most of the others. It'd also be one of the ones that's on it's back looking for belly rubs. "That one," he says

((If I'm not allowed to actually choose what it's like, just let me know - I can work with most things ))