New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default WW Isocerne City [Now Playing]

WW Isocerne City
    Limited to 18 players! The game has started. I'm trying to run a dynamic game with a lot of backstabbing and alliance-building. I'd appreciate getting a copy of any behind-the-scenes chat or PMing, so that I can measure how well the game is running. (I promise I won't share it!) I won't promise, however, that I won't introduce twists as the game progresses. I'm also open to suggestions about the rules pretty much up to when I start the game. (Some specific points which I'm still thinking about are at what times the box should be open for transfer, as well as what power roles I'll have and how many of each.)

The Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lynches and lynch voting are as normal.

Werewolf power is conferred by the device discussed in the story section; it takes the name of 'fortune cookie box' from the box it's kept in. I'll call it 'the box' throughout these rules.

One player, and only one, can hold the box on a given night. The player holding the box, hereafter called the User, is the sole determiner of the night kill, although he or she is free to take into account the feelings of other player. He or she may also choose to have no nightkill at all. In the absence of the use of the Lockout's power, the User may transfer the box at will and at any time. (If the Lockout's power is used, the current User will be informed that the transfer was attempted and failed, but not the intended recipient of the box.)

However, the factions vying for control of the box are more than willing to take it from the User. On each night, a PM vote is held to, potentially, select a new User; each vote should name the current User in red and the prospective new User in blue. Votes must have the name of the current User (red) correct to be valid, unless the blue vote is to reelect the current User in which case the red vote is ignored. It is impossible for an User to gain the box if he or she has recieved no blue votes other than his or her own; if the current User recieves insufficient votes, but no other User is elected, no night kill occurs, and the box is released as if the User had been lynched. Note that the details of the election results are not public; the winning User is told of his victory, and if the current User loses the box he is informed only that he has lost and whether or not he has been saved by the Mercenary.

If the election results in a tie of valid votes, the tie is resolved first in the favor of the current User, then in the favor of the special roles in the given order, then at random. If the election results in the box being taken from the current User, assuming the absence of the Mercenary power, the User is killed as the box is taken from him forcibly. (If the Mercenary's power is in effect, the User is saved despite still losing the box; no night kill occurs.)

All kills, including the night kill, are always announced. The player's role will be disclosed upon death, unless the player was the User and the Hider power is in effect.

Whenever the box is lost, either through a lynch of the User or the User's receiving insufficient votes the previous night, it is announced; the following night, the election for User requires "FREE" or the name of the previous User as the red vote. (If the Hider's power is in effect, there is no announcement.)

When only three players remain living, all of them win.

At the beginning of the game, one player will be selected at random to start with the box, independent of any other power role. No other player will be informed of the initial user's identity, but he or she would do well to remember the rule requiring that he or she gain additional supporters or lose the box.

The Roles
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Observer is told whenever the box changes hands, as well as through what rule it changed hands.

The Lockout can prevent the box from being transferred on a given day, assuming that he or she guesses the source and target. Any transfers after the guessed transfer will fail.

The Eavesdropper can learn either the names of all the people who voted for one person as User each night, or the name of the person who one specific person voted for as User each night.

The Mercenary can choose to prevent the current User from dying if he loses control of the box through a night vote, assuming that he knows the name of the User.

The Hider can, with the current User's consent, choose to conceal the User's identity until the following morning if he is killed in a daykill. (This power is meant to be used as a last resort when the Lockout's power is in effect and a day kill is impending.)

The Inspector can determine what (if any) special role one player has on each night… but not whether or not the player has the box.

The Jammer can protect one player other than the User from nightkill on each night. (If the Jammer selects the User, he is not informed of the fact; however, his power has no effect.)

Some of the power roles have sleepers, meaning that there are reserve players for these roles. If the players designated as sleepers die before becoming awakened, their identity as sleepers is never revealed. Note that sleepers will scry as non-power-roles until awakened. Sleepers will typically activate on the death of an awakened player of that role.

Player List
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]#|Player|Killed?
    0 | 101jir |
    1 | Arden |
    2 | Banjo1985 |
    3 | Billtodamax |
    4 | Bladescape |
    5 | Croverus |
    6 | Duneyrr |
    7 | Gray Mage |
    8 | Lex-Kat |
    9 | Lord Loss |
    10 | Orzel |
    11 | Ramsus |
    12 | Reinholdt |
    13 | Robert Blackletter |
    14 | The Grimmace |
    15 | TheLaughingMan |
    16 | Tilt |
    17 | Xanmyral |
    [/table]
    Last edited by BobTheFerret; 2011-06-13 at 08:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shapeshifters 2 WW
    It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
    Gooooooo Colonials!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: WW Isocerne City [Recruiting]

IN if i may
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Johel View Post
    Because utopia is a dream, humans are bastards and any attempt to really flesh out Neverland turns it into Battle Royal island, only with pirates, cannibal children, man-eating mermaids, sadistic Indians, nymphomaniac fairies and Godzilla with a ringing tummy.

I have a specific learning difficulty, if I misuse grammar, misspell or otherwise abuse the written word, forgive me

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

In. I sorta hope that everyone is either a power role or sleeper but that's probably just me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sure, I'll be in.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I'll be in.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I probably shouldn't join any more games for lack of time, but I always like new rules. Oh well, in.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    In. I sorta hope that everyone is either a power role or sleeper but that's probably just me.
    Right now, around two thirds of the players will get power role or sleeper. I could increase this, but any method of doing so has its problems. I'm not sure I can write 18 unique, balanced power roles; certainly it's a bit ambitious. I could duplicate roles (and, in fact, might do so) but it might result in oversaturating the game a bit. I'm a bit worried that overdosing on sleepers might make the players a bit more ruthless towards the power roles in the expectation that more will appear. They also defeat the Inspector/Seer role somewhat.

I do see why you'd want more power roles, though. Actually, I feel the same way; that's the reasoning behind the 'box' thing.
    Last edited by BobTheFerret; 2011-03-28 at 07:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shapeshifters 2 WW
    Gooooooo Colonials!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, yeah. You're totally right about the way people would act if there were tons of sleepers. Hadn't considered that. In that case it's probably good as is (though games like the smash bros. one where everyone is unique are pretty interesting too).

9. - Top - End - #9

Definately in. This should be very exciting! Gotta love that diplomacy.
    Long Sig (now with nonsense riddles).

Squadron leader of =Knights of Wolf= in War Thunder

...you either learn to laugh, or you go insane. I prefer to laugh.
    -Ee'char STDS9: Hard Time

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Confusing. I guess I'll be in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quack
    That's duck for "In".
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll join.

13. - Top - End - #13

Could you clarify the "FREE" vote again?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey, I'll join!

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by 101jir View Post
    Could you clarify the "FREE" vote again?
    All right. This vote occurs either when the current boxholder doesn't have enough votes to sustain holding the box, or when the current boxholder is daykilled. In either case, it's almost the same as a traditional election, except that as no current boxholder exists you must specify 'FREE' or the previous boxholder. I could just have these elections ignore the name of the previous boxholder, but that makes the "Hider" role rather useless. (I might just eliminate the Hider, though...)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shapeshifters 2 WW
    Gooooooo Colonials!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself, but just to make sure I'm understanding correctly:

Spoiler
    Show
    - The User has his/her own personal nightkill, separate from the PM votes that others get.

- At night, everyone else PM's the narrator who they think the current User is, and who they'd like the new User to be. Their vote only counts if they correctly guess the current User, and once that current User loses the box, he/she dies.

Aaand some questions:

Spoiler
    Show
    - What happens during the daytime?

- What defines sufficient votes?

- What motivation does one have to support any given User?

(possibly more later)
    Last edited by Arden; 2011-04-02 at 11:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Just wondering, what is the advantage to having the User die if they lose the box? Also, why should it be important that votes only count if the current user can be guessed?

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself, but just to make sure I'm understanding correctly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    - The User has his/her own personal nightkill, separate from the PM votes that others get.

- At night, everyone else PM's the narrator who they think the current User is, and who they'd like the new User to be. Their vote only counts if they correctly guess the current User, and once that current User loses the box, he/she dies.
    Aaand some questions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    - What happens during the daytime?

- What defines sufficient votes?

- What motivation does one have to support any given User?
    (possibly more later)
    You do seem to correctly understand both of the things you specified. As regards your questions...

A typical lynch happens during the daytime, via popular vote as usual. If this hits the User, it's assumed the box is lost and recovered by the "election winner" that night.

"Sufficient votes" means receiving at least one vote other than your own. (This is done to require the User to branch out for support.)

Players will want to support an User both to try to sway favor with regards to the lynch (say, if they have a player they want to kill) and in hopes of lasting longer in the game through alliance. I have finally changed the rules to stipulate that the last three players all "win" to some extent, though obviously the final User would get more glory.

Quote Originally Posted by 101jir View Post
    Just wondering, what is the advantage to having the User die if they lose the box? Also, why should it be important that votes only count if the current user can be guessed?
    The User dies when the box is taken (via vote - voluntary transfers don't do it) both to keep a nightkill and to encourage transfers or other forms of power-sharing. (It's also vaguely related to the story - the box is taken forcibly.)

The reason that I require the current User to be guessed is to allow a very well-put-together User group to be able to maintain election through subtlety.
    Last edited by BobTheFerret; 2011-04-04 at 02:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shapeshifters 2 WW
    Gooooooo Colonials!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

So, I guess this game is cancelled?

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

20. - Top - End - #20

I'll still run it if I ever get enough players.
    Last edited by BobTheFerret; 2011-04-24 at 08:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shapeshifters 2 WW
    Gooooooo Colonials!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Count me in!
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I really want to get into more ww games. Add me to the list please.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll join, if this is still gonna happen
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Same here.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

25. - Top - End - #25

And I as well, if there's room left.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

26. - Top - End - #26

Wow, I wasn't expecting this to come back after so long.

I will still run the game as soon as I hit 18 players. Three more to go right now.
    Last edited by BobTheFerret; 2011-06-12 at 05:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shapeshifters 2 WW
    Gooooooo Colonials!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Should we have a roll call to see if the people who signed up before are still interested in/aware of this thread?

28. - Top - End - #28

I was going to send out a PM when we got to cap.

Speaking of things players should be aware of: my video game (also in my sig) is a sequel (20-50 years later) to this WW plotwise. (Not that anyone was going to read the plot...) Actually, the events of this game are what trigger the city's long fall from utopia to the dystopia of the video game, which I personally think is kind of neat.
    Last edited by BobTheFerret; 2011-06-12 at 06:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shapeshifters 2 WW
    Gooooooo Colonials!

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheFerret View Post
    Speaking of things players should be aware of: my video game (also in my sig) is a sequel (20-50 years later) to this WW plotwise. (Not that anyone was going to read the plot...) Actually, the events of this game are what trigger the city's long fall from utopia to the dystopia of the video game, which I personally think is kind of neat.
    Oooh, a story-based WW. I'll try and roleplay as best I can, to keep things interesting.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Oooh, a story-based WW. I'll try and roleplay as best I can, to keep things interesting.
    Ditto! some words here