New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default 4E Radiant Monk Question

In the PH3 book the monk is introduced and never really having played a monk before I thought I would take a look. In the game I will eventually play (we haven't started) I will be playing a monk with a focus on the paragon path of Radiant Monk (fitting the character), but I have a question. The book states

You gain the Channel Divinity class feature, which means you can use a single Channel Divinity power once per encounter. You also gain a divinity feat of your choice.
    Now my question is, does the channel divinity class feature come from a specific class (for example the channel divinity power of the paladin)? Or can it come from any class whatsoever as long as it states channel divinity? Or is it talking about the divinity powers associated with the feats?
    Yes, a tiny net is a death sentence, it's a net and it's tiny! -Master Betty (Kung Pow)

Old Characters

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 4E Radiant Monk Question

it means that you get to chose a channel Divinity feat and you get the power associated with the feat. you don't get a power from another class.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Okay, just making sure as it seemed to indicate a class feature power, but at the same time doesn't so I wasn't sure.
    Yes, a tiny net is a death sentence, it's a net and it's tiny! -Master Betty (Kung Pow)

Old Characters

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

what it means is that you gain the class feature "Channel Divinity" which means that you have the ability to use Channel Divinity powers which you then gain from the feat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Warforged: We can draw the guards away from the treasury if we set that orphanage two blocks down on fire.

Paladin: wtf, NO! Why would you say something like that?

Warforged: Fine, fine. I'll go burn down the church instead. I bet the screams of the monks will carry farther than the children's anyway, judging on their singing capacity.

Paladin: I've got a better idea. You shut up and we'll send the rogue around back >.<

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mobdrazhar View Post
    what it means is that you gain the class feature "Channel Divinity" which means that you have the ability to use Channel Divinity powers which you then gain from the feat.
    This is the correct interpretation. You could then take additional feats, such as Domain Feats, to increase your repertoire, but you only start with the single power.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, you have a small selection of Channel Divinity feat options depending on the Domains of your chosen deity. IIRC, all the Divine power source classes have at least 1 channel divinity, so it isn't really a "class feature" so much as a "divine feature"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Annulus View Post
    IIRC, all the Divine power source classes have at least 1 channel divinity, so it isn't really a "class feature" so much as a "divine feature"
    The Divine classes other than the Runepriest all have at least two Channel Divinity powers (and if they have more than two to start with, they must choose two, but can still only use one per encounter). Runepriest doesn't get the feature at all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 4E Ra diant Monk Question

If there's a class specific divine channel ability that you really want, you can consider grabbing the divine channeler feat (from divine power). It counts as a multiclass feat for whichever divine class you want it to, and lets you add one of their channel divinity options to your list. Unless you plan on taking the revered one epic destiny, you can still only use one channel divinity ability per encounter.

While this is a significantly weaker MC entry feat than Disciple of Divine Wrath if you want to dabble in Avenger, or Soldier of the Faith if you want to dabble in paladinery (like a certain comic antagonist), it's much better than the cleric or invoker options - and both clerics and invokers offer interesting radiant synergy feats - namely Invoker Aura for invokers (which is probably not actually worthwhile unless you did take the Revered One epic destiny) and Radiant Advantage for clerics (which makes any enemy you hit with radiant damage grant combat advantage). But both are epic feats.

Cleric can also land you some minor things in paragon, if you took turn undead (you can take Undead Ward to make turn undead drop an undead-killing zone as an aftereffect) or worship the raven queen (take Raven Queen's Outrage to slide 1 to any enemy you hurt with radiant damage).

9. - Top - End - #9

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    The Divine classes other than the Runepriest all have at least two Channel Divinity powers (and if they have more than two to start with, they must choose two, but can still only use one per encounter). Runepriest doesn't get the feature at all.
    Hm... Why do you think that is? Kinda weird, that they don't get CD.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    Because they don't really use the gods so much as divine, runic power.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

This is a little after the fact, but I was having an issue with this very thing, as I am creating my first 4e monk.

In my opinion, the word 'also' implies that 'in addition to' the Channel Divinity class feature and power (in my reading, it means 'of your choice'), you are ALSO allowed to pick a Channel Divinity feat.

I feel that if it had meant for you to ONLY take a Channel Divinity feat, they would have worded it as such or used the word 'and' to indicate that it was in injunction with the class feature. Maybe that it's me, though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

It gives you Channel Divinity, which lets you use Channel Divinity powers, BUT it doesn't give you any such powers, so it gives you a free feat to get one.

It's worth noting that Channel Divinity feats require the Channel Divinity feature, they don't grant it on their own, so you couldn't take the feats without already having the feature.
    LGBTAitP

"You can't just go around opting out of critical analysis by preemptively declaring yourself pointless."

- Mordecai, Lackadaisy Cats

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by VeliciaL View Post
    It gives you Channel Divinity, which lets you use Channel Divinity powers, BUT it doesn't give you any such powers, so it gives you a free feat to get one.

It's worth noting that Channel Divinity feats require the Channel Divinity feature, they don't grant it on their own, so you couldn't take the feats without already having the feature.
    This. Do please note that in 4e, What You See Is What You Get. The Radiant Fist's Channel Divinity feature tells you that you get Channel Divinity. It does not tell you that you get a Channel Divinity power; you gain the feature which allows you to use the powers. And, incidentally, allows you to qualify for the divinity feat it gives you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBaneDM View Post
    Because they're not meant to be divine. The only reason they use the divine keyword is because WotC didn't feel like fleshing out "truename" as a power source.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~