New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well, at least you're not already in a relationship and terribly lonely no matter what and feel like you're trapped and can't leave and your friends all have it so much better.

So there's a silver lining there.

That isn't necessarily a very nice silver lining, although I guess I appreciate the sentiment?

I came out to my sister this morning in the car. It was awkward.
    NEVER COME OUT TO SOMEONE IN THE CAR. EVER.
    Last edited by unosarta; 2011-04-20 at 10:41 PM.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think coming out is almost always awkward. Although I could see some potential problems with coming out in the car.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post

That isn't necessarily a very nice silver lining, although I guess I appreciate the sentiment?
    Yeah, I'm not very good at this, sorry.

I came out to my sister this morning in the car. It was awkward.
    NEVER COME OUT TO SOMEONE IN THE CAR. EVER.
    Especially not if they're the type to ever have joked about figuring out how to shear off the passenger side or back of the car....

Or would get shocked at all, since taking one's eyes off the road at the wrong time could lead to a collision...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-04-20 at 10:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not very good at this, sorry.
    No problem. You are better than most of my friends who are like "here, let me take a moment from making out with my SO to pay attention to your question?"

Especially not if they're the type to ever have joked about figuring out how to shear off the passenger side or back of the car....

Or would get shocked at all, since taking one's eyes off the road at the wrong time could lead to a collision...
    Fortunately, I timed it pretty well, so we were only a few blocks from school. Unfortunately, I didn't time it well enough, and there were a few minutes of awkward silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Nihila View Post
    I think coming out is almost always awkward. Although I could see some potential problems with coming out in the car.
    Life Rule #1: Don't come out in a car. You don't have anywhere to run.

... or so my friend has told me. >_>

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #695
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

So... other than car-induced awkwardness, everything go okay?

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    So... other than car-induced awkwardness, everything go okay?
    I don't know... I think so? Like, it was mostly because she thinks that me and my really close friend are going out (even though said friend already has a boyfriend, even thought I have told my sister this before), and it has become annoying.

However, I haven't actually talked to her about it, so I don't really know about her reaction. *shrug*

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #697

I know the feeling pretty well, actually. I had a boyfriend for two months last year. He was my first real boyfriend. I ended things when it became apparent that he had baggage he needed to resolve, among other COMPLETELY CRAZY THINGS.

Since then, I've been feeling like the only gay person in New Orleans, which is kind of like saying you feel like the only priest in the Vatican.

I mean, I've met a few more gay people lately. A nice cantor at a local synagogue, a sweet local actor, and some cool folks at the LGBT community center. No one for romancin' though. Although, heh... we just hired a new chair of the history department and he looks like the love child of Jake Shears and Del Marquis, which is to say the Gorgeous Prince of all things Scissor Sisters. I met him last friday (Day of Silence!) and the first thing to run through my head was "Why do you have a partner, and why am I sixteen?"

So yeah, it feels pretty desolate out yonder. I know... 2 gay guys at a different school, a bunch more out of state, one bi-curious guy, and a few bisexual girls. Seeing as I don't swing both ways, my lady friends are of no assistance. The TWO count'em TWO gay guys I know at another school are either in relationships or uninterested. Hm... Must pursue this further... Because, come to think of it, one of those guys is single and we are both obsessed with Glee, GaGa, and Theater (I know, I know, just helping the stereotypes.) so maybe there's hope yet.

How fair you other LGBTAitp's and straight allies?

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

We don't even have a local gay bar. I thought everyone was supposed to have a local gay bar. Not us. Apparently there was one, but it closed down a couple years before I would have been of drinking age. Not that I drink.

The only LGBT people I know in the area are lesbians. I know... a lot of lesbians. A lot. I seem to attract them to me, like some sort of lesbian magnet. Of my major female friend population, less than 30% have been straight. Needless to say, this not only doesn't help my romance prospects but reduces the pool proportionally. My weird past relationship thing notwithstanding.

I like to joke sometimes that I can turn anyone off men just by greeting them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone else heard of Everyone is Gay (dot) com? It is Dannielle Owens-Reid, who started Lesbians Who Look Like Justin Bieber, and Kristin Russo, who is getting her PhD in Gender Studies focusing on LGBT stuff. They give advice to LGBT youth who send in questions, and every so often they do webcasts.
    Fixed the broken link. How come no one else noticed this?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

No problem, man, no problem.

I have been feeling very alone recently (not sure if I have already mentioned this to this thread, ). Like, all of my friends are in relationships (literally all of them), and it isn't that I feel pressured into one, but I just feel like I don't have someone with whom I can get intimate, even with my friends. In addition, there just aren't that many people who are available in my area or interested, and most of them are already in relationships. It is just really, really frustrating.
    Well, you have friends. That's always a plus.

Personally I'd hug my friends regardless of their relationship status but I am horrible at making friends.

Doesn't help that I am the only person in class who know what the word anime means.

Or extraterrestrial for that matter.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phae Nymna View Post
    I know the feeling pretty well, actually. I had a boyfriend for two months last year. He was my first real boyfriend. I ended things when it became apparent that he had baggage he needed to resolve, among other COMPLETELY CRAZY THINGS.

Since then, I've been feeling like the only gay person in New Orleans, which is kind of like saying you feel like the only priest in the Vatican.

I mean, I've met a few more gay people lately. A nice cantor at a local synagogue, a sweet local actor, and some cool folks at the LGBT community center. No one for romancin' though. Although, heh... we just hired a new chair of the history department and he looks like the love child of Jake Shears and Del Marquis, which is to say the Gorgeous Prince of all things Scissor Sisters. I met him last friday (Day of Silence!) and the first thing to run through my head was "Why do you have a partner, and why am I sixteen?"

So yeah, it feels pretty desolate out yonder. I know... 2 gay guys at a different school, a bunch more out of state, one bi-curious guy, and a few bisexual girls. Seeing as I don't swing both ways, my lady friends are of no assistance. The TWO count'em TWO gay guys I know at another school are either in relationships or uninterested. Hm... Must pursue this further... Because, come to think of it, one of those guys is single and we are both obsessed with Glee, GaGa, and Theater (I know, I know, just helping the stereotypes.) so maybe there's hope yet.

How fair you other LGBTAitp's and straight allies?
    Our situations sound very similar, barring the fact that you have actually been in a relationship.
    I think that is the worst part, when you are trying to help a friend out of whatever deep, deep hole they have dug themselves into, and they completely disregard anything you say by saying "What do you know? You haven't even had a boyfriend."
    It is very, very frustrating.

Also; is it weird that of Glee, GaGa, and theatre, I only like GaGa, and only sometimes? I mean, every single one of my friends (literally; I can think of maybe two people who aren't) are in theatre, but I don't do it. A large portion of my friends are into Glee, but I dislike it (and I have fencing on the time that it is on, so I can't see it anyway). GaGa is fine in small doses, but she tends to be very dissimilar to most of my musical tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Fixed the broken link. How come no one else noticed this?
    Thanks!
    I guess no one really checked it, or if they did, they just automatically corrected the URL.

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Well, you have friends. That's always a plus.

Personally I'd hug my friends regardless of their relationship status but I am horrible at making friends.

Doesn't help that I am the only person in class who know what the word anime means.

Or extraterrestrial for that matter.
    That isn't really much of a consolation when they are always with their boyfriends, talking about their boyfriends, commenting on how similar people are to their boyfriends, talking about what they did with their boyfriends last week, etc etc.

It is less the emotional intimacy that I want, but like physical intimacy, and I can't really find that with my friends, at all. I have tried, and it just doesn't really work.

O_o
    Really? Only you?

Maybe their lexicons are just strangely small...

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #702

I think that is the worst part, when you are trying to help a friend out of whatever deep, deep hole they have dug themselves into, and they completely disregard anything you say by saying "What do you know? You haven't even had a boyfriend."
    It is very, very frustrating.
    Yeah, as someone who is extremely close to aromantic (which is a pain to tell people. "You're a romantic? You don't seem like it.."), and has never been in a relationship, I feel ya. Some things in relationships are plainly obvious even if you haven't ever been in one.

Also; is it weird that of Glee, GaGa, and theatre, I only like GaGa, and only sometimes? I mean, every single one of my friends (literally; I can think of maybe two people who aren't) are in theatre, but I don't do it. A large portion of my friends are into Glee, but I dislike it (and I have fencing on the time that it is on, so I can't see it anyway). GaGa is fine in small doses, but she tends to be very dissimilar to most of my musical tastes.
    No, it isn't. Glee irritates me, and I'm not a fan of acting, even though I enjoy lots of other performance arts. If you're thinking that it's weird since the stereotype is that gay men love all those things, don't worry about it. Almost every gay man I know is not like that at all.
    Last edited by Nix Nihila; 2011-04-21 at 11:40 AM.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Re: Glee, Gaga, and theater:

I'm not sure what a Glee is. I think maybe they sing, yes?

I like some of Gaga's stuff, but not all of it. She's crazy, but seems very nice.

I only like theater if I get to work backstage. I did this in high school and it was fun. I got my very own spotlight to operate! Being up in the spot booth also meant I wasn't around to be yelled at by the director(s). Have you noticed that theater directors like to yell a lot?

Reading more signs at health services: Apparently, LGBT folk are more likely to be smokers? I hadn't heard that before.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Troll in the Playground

No, it isn't. Glee irritates me, and I'm not a fan of acting, even though I enjoy lots of other performance arts. If you're thinking that it's weird since the stereotype is that gay men love all those things, don't worry about it. Almost every gay man I know is not like that at all.
    Sadly, almost every gay guy I know is like that, with one exception (2 if you count myself). It's a bit irritating sometimes, but I find myself confused on why I'm even mad at people who do follow all the stereotypes. I mean, it's not like it's a negative or harmful.

Maybe I'm just irritated at everyone else for assuming I'm the same There's this girl who refuses to believe I'm gay because of my strong dislike of Glee and ambivalence toward theater.

15. - Top - End - #705

NecromancerGuy

How can you hate acting but enjoy other performance arts when acting ties back into so many of them?

That goes beyond gay stereotypes because it's supposed to be ubiquitous in this culture that all people enjoy at least some television shows and movies.

But you're saying that the majority of gay men you know can't enjoy movies, television, and stage productions? That's... That's just so alien to me I can't even see a possible reason for it.

Whats the big problem with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Sadly, almost every gay guy I know is like that, with one exception (2 if you count myself). It's a bit irritating sometimes, but I find myself confused on why I'm even mad at people who do follow all the stereotypes. I mean, it's not like it's a negative or harmful.
    Why is it sad that anyone enjoys watching movies, television, or going to see live theatre? The majority of all people that I know enjoy all three quite freely and aren't annoying about it for the most part, though there is the occasional bout of fanboyism or fangirlism, with the rest at least enjoying the first pair and with a not insignificant minority of that minority enjoying the last one as well but only willing to indulge in that way when going with company to see such a show.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-04-21 at 01:10 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

There isn't. It's just annoying when a good chunk of people assume:

If you are gay, then you must enjoy X. If not, then you enjoy Y. Y and X have very little overlap.

17. - Top - End - #707

How can you hate acting but enjoy other performance arts when acting ties back into so many of them?
    Oh, I don't hate acting, I just don't like doing pure acting. I don't enjoy being in a play, for example, but I do enjoy Juggling, Mentalism (which does require a heavy dose of acting), Close-up magic, Dance, and performing with the piano.

That goes beyond gay stereotypes because it's supposed to be ubiquitous in this culture that all people enjoy at least some television shows and movies.
    Alright, I suppose I phrased things a little strangely in my previous post. I was attempting to say that the percentage of gay men I know who are into glee is about the same as the percentage of straight men I know who are into glee.

But you're saying that the majority of gay men you know can't enjoy movies, television, and stage productions? That's... That's just so alien to me I can't even see a possible reason for it.
    Um... What? Where did I say that?
    Last edited by Nix Nihila; 2011-04-21 at 01:38 PM.

18. - Top - End - #708

NecromancerGuy

Alright, I suppose I phrased things a little strangely in my previous post. I was attempting to say that the percentage of gay men I know who are into glee is about the same as the percentage of straight men I know who are into glee.
    Oh, ok. I was starting to think I was missing something with how surreal what I was saying started getting. x.x Sorry about that. I can definitely understand how it's not your cup of tea to do though, since it's really a minority that have a zest for actually being on stage.

Um... What? Where did I say that?
    It seemed like you were saying that the gay men you knew also didn't enjoy acting as entertainment source when you said the gay men you knew didn't like such things after your previous phrasing had seemed to indicate you disliked acting as a form of entertainment rather than an activity to do yourself. x,x
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-04-21 at 01:49 PM.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That isn't really much of a consolation when they are always with their boyfriends, talking about their boyfriends, commenting on how similar people are to their boyfriends, talking about what they did with their boyfriends last week, etc etc.

It is less the emotional intimacy that I want, but like physical intimacy, and I can't really find that with my friends, at all. I have tried, and it just doesn't really work.

O_o
    Really? Only you?

Maybe their lexicons are just strangely small...
    Man, your friends have small reference pools. Try challenging them to a duel of Trivial Pursuit.

Hmm, physical intimacy? Does that mean I can hug you if I locate just randomly bump into you? :3

I can't say for certain, at least one do know what a manga is, but a good deal had no idea what Dragonball or Yu-Gi-Oh were and only vaguely knew what Pokémon was when I tried to explain Anime to them.

I hope it's just a vocabulary thing, but when fifteen-year-olds couldn't understand what a footsoldier was I fear for our future.

Why is it sad that anyone enjoys watching movies, television, or going to see live theatre? The majority of all people that I know enjoy all three quite freely and aren't annoying about it for the most part, though there is the occasional bout of fanboyism or fangirlism, with the rest at least enjoying the first pair and with a not insignificant minority of that minority enjoying the last one as well but only willing to indulge in that way when going with company to see such a show.
    I think they mean taking part in acting themselves, or stage-acting possibly.

Personally I do think the idea that being LGBT+ means enjoying Glee or Lady Gaga is a harmful one, if only because some people assume that if you fit their stereotypes then you are LGBT+ and if you donřt then you are not no matter what you say.

But then again, some people assume I like liquorice.

EDIT: Gah! Power Ranger'ed!
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2011-04-21 at 03:44 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

Coidzor, not to be a negative nellie but you've been jumping to whole rafts of conclusions lately. Is something up?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Coidzor, not to be a negative nellie but you've been jumping to whole rafts of conclusions lately. Is something up?
    He always does that, don't worry about it.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

I hope it's just a vocabulary thing, but when fifteen-year-olds couldn't understand what a footsoldier was I fear for our future.
    You don't fear yet? Clearly you haven't read My Immortal.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

23. - Top - End - #713

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Well, I have started a new job lately, so maybe that's having an effect on my psyche...

By the by, I can't recall if I first saw it mentioned on gitp or not, but... have you heard that someone is doing an abridged webcomic of My Immortal over on drunkduck?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-04-21 at 03:08 PM.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I said I did fear, partly because of said unability of my former classmates to undertsand the word 'footsoldiers' (Or 'fodfolk' as it was in Danish) and partly because I've encountered worse.

I do not wish to read My Immortal just yet, although it would be an excellent excuse to declare humanity doomed and go Goth for a few months.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, as someone who is extremely close to aromantic (which is a pain to tell people. "You're a romantic? You don't seem like it.."), and has never been in a relationship, I feel ya. Some things in relationships are plainly obvious even if you haven't ever been in one.

Wow, that sounds kind of annoying. D:
    And I normally wouldn't even care if they didn't even follow my advice, but it's the fact that they don't even try to listen to me that really frustrates me.

I don't enjoy doing performance arts at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    Re: Glee, Gaga, and theater:

I'm not sure what a Glee is. I think maybe they sing, yes?

I like some of Gaga's stuff, but not all of it. She's crazy, but seems very nice.

I only like theater if I get to work backstage. I did this in high school and it was fun. I got my very own spotlight to operate! Being up in the spot booth also meant I wasn't around to be yelled at by the director(s). Have you noticed that theater directors like to yell a lot?

Reading more signs at health services: Apparently, LGBT folk are more likely to be smokers? I hadn't heard that before.
    Glee is short for Glee Club, which is sort of like a Show Choir club, in a way. So, yes, they sing.

I respect Lady GaGa mostly because of the stories I have heard of what she does on tour. One of the coordinators/helpers of Q-Quest Youth Fest (which was a month or two ago) in Minneapolis, who also runs a local music label told
    us about what she does. In Minneapolis, when she came here, she gave some local LGBT youth shelters like 150 tickets, and made them pay to get the kids to the concert. The tickets were in really good spots, and she just GAVE THEM AWAY. I literally almost cried, it was so sweet. Also, previously mentioned Dannielle Owens-Reid works for her, and honestly, I can respect anyone who gets Dannielle to work with them and love her job that much.

I didn't really know that there was a correlation between being LGBT and smoking. Have the people who conducted the study given any reasons for as to why this might be?

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post

Maybe I'm just irritated at everyone else for assuming I'm the same There's this girl who refuses to believe I'm gay because of my strong dislike of Glee and ambivalence toward theater.
    That is true, honestly. I don't have a problem with people who are in line with the stereotypes (and I have some really close friends who act like that).

Okay, someone refusing to believe you about something like that is just being a dumby head (for lack of a forum appropriate term). Seriously, a single TV show and a department of your school should not be defining your sexuality. >_>

Man, your friends have small reference pools. Try challenging them to a duel of Trivial Pursuit.

Hmm, physical intimacy? Does that mean I can hug you if I locate just randomly bump into you? :3

I can't say for certain, at least one do know what a manga is, but a good deal had no idea what Dragonball or Yu-Gi-Oh were and only vaguely knew what Pokémon was when I tried to explain Anime to them.

A duel of Trivial Pursuit? What?

Of course! But, what I meant was more long term than that, I guess. I don't really know. *sigh*

That is kind of strange, but also understandable. I mean, Japanese culture hasn't spread necessarily that far, or far enough that everyone would know about it.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

This very tentative hypothesis is growing in me about glee clubs. It was a catch-all phrase during early 20th century college days for student groups that did extracurricular singing, music, and theatre activities, and I wonder if they acted as a kind of LGBT haven before such matters came to the surface.

My body of research for an LGBT historical fiction novel set in a fairly small college waxes; I plan to use the above speculation. There's a healthy proportion of drag in the old photographs I've looked at and... well... the guys involved tend towards the cute and squirrelly.

Plus, the stereotypes about (in particular) gay men involved in theatre and music have got to come from somewhere.

@Lix & Coizor -- those are the nicest two things anybody has said about me before.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2011-04-21 at 04:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #717

Maybe it's just that I haven't watched enough of it, but Glee annoys me specifically from an LGBT point of view. That gay kid is so... so very gay. He seems like a great big ol' stereotype. One of the two episodes I sat down and watched was about the (straight) guy he has a crush on moving in with him and his dad. What's the first thing he does? He smothers the poor kid's bedroom in lace and throw pillows. I don't get it, is he autistic or something? Does he not understand that other people don't like that sort of thing? He's meant to be his friend, how could he expect him to appreciate that? I know the friend got pretty nasty, but I didn't really blame him for freaking out.
    Now, what I do like is that gay kid's dad. In both of the episodes I saw he got a long, heartfelt speech. I haven't even watched much of it, but his reaction when his son came out to him was just... 83

So, what is it? I've heard that he's "such a good gay character", but he seems so stereotypical to me, and a bit of an oblivious spoiled brat.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my god, no, believe me, that is my exact same reaction.

Also; he has a loving family, a loving community, honestly some pretty freaking awesome friends, but he for some reason feels the need to make out with a woman, because that totally convinces people that his completely stereotypically effeminately gay actions are not tied to his sexuality. And this is a high school. Right...

Honestly, a lot about the character bugs me right now, and I don't really like any of the other plot-lines (EXCEPT FOR THE LESBIAN RELATIONSHIP, HOLY****INGCRAP THAT WAS AMAZINGLY SWEET/TRUE TO THE CHARACTERS, OH MY GOD IT WAS BEAUTIFULLY DIRECTED/HANDLED BY THE DIRECTOR AND ACTRESSES).

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #719

Obviously, it's a downer to get stereotyped in any way, but I get real upset about gay theatre stereotypes and stuff.

I go to / participate in theatre because I like theatre. It's fun and emotional, and presents a physical and mental challenge to live up to the role and inhabit it, and to learn the songs and choreography and act the part well.

I like Lady GaGa because she is a very creative person who sings catchy songs. I think she is an excellent songwriter and choreographer and performer, and she has a great voice. I also like her crazy fashion and her design concepts. Finally, I like what she stands for- she's a very good person and very generous with the use of her money and fame to help improve the lives of others.

I enjoy Glee because I like music and theatre and because I sing in a high school choir and because I'm helping to found an all male a capella group. I guess that means I connect to the show. I also enjoy the humour of the show and the quality of the acting (more connections here). I really admire the treatment of minority characters, particularly the exploration of Kurt and Blaine's relationship and Sue and her sister's interaction. Furthermore, I really admire the show's treatment of people with mental retardation and queer youth as well.

I like theatre, GaGa, and Glee, yes, but not because I am gay. I think I like them more because I am gay and that allows a further level of connection to all three, but that is not why I like them. This doesn't apply to GaGa and Glee, but I must point out that I've like theatre from before when I liked boys.

Although, another reason I think that so many gay men are drawn to all three is that (aside from audience connectivity) well, it's rather that most straight men are not drawn to them. I guess it's a different facet of the connectivity thing, but I think queer folk are just naturally less inhibited about their perceived masculinity. At one time, theatre may have been (and still is some places) a venue where oppressed gay men could step out of their constricting lives for an hour or two to show their worth by dancing their hearts out in front of three hundred people, but now I think it's more that more straight men than gay men feel theatre is a threat to their masculinity. Ergo gay men are more commonly found in the theatre community because they don't feel worried about it's effect on their perceived masculinity.

Food for thought.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Halfling in the Playground

Honestly? I think Kurt is a complete jerk most of the time. His relationship with his father is the only consistently good thing I like about him. His dad is just awesome.

And I've heard he is basically a self-insert for the show's writer Ryan Murphy. Kurt's characterization and coming out story were pretty much lifted from Ryan Murphy's life. So if he's a stereotype, atleast he's based off someone real instead of a confused idea of what a gay teenager should be.

I much prefer the episodes about the two cheerleaders as far as gay characters go.
    Crackers don't matter.