New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

To continue, though, I do quite like the actor. He seems like a really nice boy, and apparently they basically wrote the character for him. Which I guess makes all that a bit of a criticism of him... :/ But I don't mean it to be! I know there's genuinely camp gay guys, but that doesn't mean every gay character should be like that!

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I have the same problem with My Little Pony. Most people just assume I watch it because of my sexual orientation. And that's not at all the case.

On a far more serious note, I return home in less than a month. I haven't come out of the closet (do you say that for bisexuality?) to anyone in my hometown. It's a pretty close minded place. Especially compared to the Bay Area. While sexual orientation is a large issue that I've finally figured out (within the last year, after I moved away), I don't know if I want to deal with coming out to anyone I used to know. Like I said earlier, it's not a terribly welcoming town. My parents would be fine, maybe my friends too, but on the other hand, I'm wondering why I would. I never told anyone I was straight, I keep most information about myself closely-guarded, and I don't think my sexual orientation is the defining characteristic of my life. I don't know what I'm trying to say here. I just feel... conflicted. And my move out day is approaching rapidly.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    On a far more serious note, I return home in less than a month. I haven't come out of the closet (do you say that for bisexuality?) to anyone in my hometown. It's a pretty close minded place. Especially compared to the Bay Area. While sexual orientation is a large issue that I've finally figured out (within the last year, after I moved away), I don't know if I want to deal with coming out to anyone I used to know. Like I said earlier, it's not a terribly welcoming town. My parents would be fine, maybe my friends too, but on the other hand, I'm wondering why I would. I never told anyone I was straight, I keep most information about myself closely-guarded, and I don't think my sexual orientation is the defining characteristic of my life. I don't know what I'm trying to say here. I just feel... conflicted. And my move out day is approaching rapidly.
    Ugh. I understand your dilema. I'm not out to anybody especially, but I wouldn't have said I'm closeted as such - I've not really encountered a situation where it'd be relevant to "come out". On the other hand, I guess you might want to consider whether your folks and your closer friends may feel hurt that you never mentioned this to them before when you first introduce them to a girlfriend of yours? I dunno. I suppose you could try and engineer a situation where it'd be on topic and you could mention it in an offhand way. It's different from coming out as homosexual in a way, I think, as part of the reason for that is to stop people from assuming you're going to be dating people of the opposite sex but if you're bi then that's not ruled out... Sorry I can't really give you any advice there, I'm in a similar position myself re: coming out in some ways I feel like I'm keeping a secret and in others I think it'd just be irrelevant information to most people...

If you skim through the thread there have been a few mentions of how to engineer an appropriate atmosphere to test the waters as far as coming out goes already.

As far as close minded areas go... my home area is a rural one which just doesn't seem to have an LGBT+ community. The subject's never come up outside my house when I've been around. My family know I'm a pretty staunch defender of LGBT+ rights and are all fairly accepting, I'm pretty sure none of them would be surprised if I "came out" to them. For me I don't think it's going to be a big issue until I actually start dating, if I ever do and there are certain family friends and relatives etc. that I wouldn't come out to unless I had a serious girlfriend. (If it were a boyfriend I wouldn't see the point).

I guess my bottom line here would be don't stress yourself out too much over this? Hope you have a great spring break whatever you decide to do.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

4. - Top - End - #724
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    I respect Lady GaGa mostly because of the stories I have heard of what she does on tour. One of the coordinators/helpers of Q-Quest Youth Fest (which was a month or two ago) in Minneapolis, who also runs a local music label told
    us about what she does. In Minneapolis, when she came here, she gave some local LGBT youth shelters like 150 tickets, and made them pay to get the kids to the concert. The tickets were in really good spots, and she just GAVE THEM AWAY. I literally almost cried, it was so sweet. Also, previously mentioned Dannielle Owens-Reid works for her, and honestly, I can respect anyone who gets Dannielle to work with them and love her job that much.

I didn't really know that there was a correlation between being LGBT and smoking. Have the people who conducted the study given any reasons for as to why this might be?
    That's amazing. Thanks for sharing, I feel better about the world now.

The poster I was looking at did list the study information, but it was in fine print and I was too uncomfortable to get up and read it, so I'm afraid I don't know who conducted it or where to look up more information. Try the interweb?

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's because we're more prone to depression, which means we're more prone to seeking relief from drugs and drug-like substances?

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    That's amazing. Thanks for sharing, I feel better about the world now.

The poster I was looking at did list the study information, but it was in fine print and I was too uncomfortable to get up and read it, so I'm afraid I don't know who conducted it or where to look up more information. Try the interweb?

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's because we're more prone to depression, which means we're more prone to seeking relief from drugs and drug-like substances?
    :D

The interwebz can solve any problem.

That is very true, and that is what I was thinking as well. I know some LGBT people tend to drink or do drugs, but I didn't know about smoking. The more you know!
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

6. - Top - End - #726

That is very true, and that is what I was thinking as well. I know some LGBT people tend to drink or do drugs, but I didn't know about smoking. The more you know!
    I think that sometimes fast crowd gays get pulled into drugs and such as a chic thing.

Also, sorry to hear about your lack of relationship woes. I've been feeling those a lot lately. But my ex and I... that was only a life experience in the bad sense. I hardly even count that because he was so crazy. *le sigh*

Do you have a GSA at your high/college/wherever? If so, you might be able to find some nice guys there.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't noticed gay people I know smoking tobacco more, but I've noticed a lot of other drugs. My theater group on the other hand is crammed with smokers. *shrug*

I don't understand the appeal of any of it myself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phae Nymna View Post
    I think that sometimes fast crowd gays get pulled into drugs and such as a chic thing.

Also, sorry to hear about your lack of relationship woes. I've been feeling those a lot lately. But my ex and I... that was only a life experience in the bad sense. I hardly even count that because he was so crazy. *le sigh*

Do you have a GSA at your high/college/wherever? If so, you might be able to find some nice guys there.
    Yeesh.

Yeah... I have heard the whole "don't try to find someone too hard, and go into it too fast, and stuff" shpiel a lot, and I guess I understand, but that doesn't really make it any easier. I dunno.

Yes, but the GSA is at a conflicting time after school, so I can't really attend it. I go to the in-school support group, but the ratio between girls to guys at the support group is like 6 to 1, and none of those guys are available. There are literally 10 out people at my school of 2000 that I know, and they either are not available (because they are in relationships) or total a-holes.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

Look on the bright side, at least you have one!

Which I don't believe my school have, but I guess that's what you'd expect when the only groups in the school that I know of are the school's choirs and musical groups.

We do have a disco ball, however, so that makes up for the apparent lack of a Kung Fu group.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Look on the bright side, at least you have one!

Which I don't believe my school have, but I guess that's what you'd expect when the only groups in the school that I know of are the school's choirs and musical groups.

We do have a disco ball, however, so that makes up for the apparent lack of a Kung Fu group.
    I guess that is true. Our GSA doesn't really do much, unfortunately.

Yeesh, that sucks. :C

My school actually does have a Kung Fu group, surprising as that would be. Unfortunately, it is only every other week, and it is after school on Wednesdays.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #731

NecromancerGuy

Yes, but the GSA is at a conflicting time after school, so I can't really attend it. I go to the in-school support group, but the ratio between girls to guys at the support group is like 6 to 1, and none of those guys are available. There are literally 10 out people at my school of 2000 that I know, and they either are not available (because they are in relationships) or total a-holes.
    Is it such that you can never take a day or week off to go check it out? What on earth are you doing normally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Is it such that you can never take a day or week off to go check it out? What on earth are you doing normally?
    I have another club at the exact same time spot. Which means that it doesn't really work. I would honestly love to do it, but it just doesn't work.

Next year, though, my school is going to add a seventh hour once a week, and GSA is going to be an option then, and I am TOTALLY going to do it.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #733

NecromancerGuy

I have another club at the exact same time spot. Which means that it doesn't really work. I would honestly love to do it, but it just doesn't work.
    So you have another club that you have to go to every week but you can't name?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-04-23 at 02:11 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

So you have another club that you have to go to every week but you can't name?
    It's an anime club. I could name it, I just didn't feel like typing it out. *tired*

Anyway; my friend is my only ride, and she kind of makes me go, and I wouldn't be able to get a ride otherwise. So, yeah, I can't really go to it. Which sucks.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #735
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Coidzor, are you sure you're okay? You seem particularly grumpy lately, I've been worried.

16. - Top - End - #736

NecromancerGuy

It's an anime club. I could name it, I just didn't feel like typing it out. *tired*

Anyway; my friend is my only ride, and she kind of makes me go, and I wouldn't be able to get a ride otherwise. So, yeah, I can't really go to it. Which sucks.
    They... don't get out at about the same time and since she'd be going anyway she's not enough of your friend to let you go to another simultaneous meeting every once in awhile?

That's kinda... suspect.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

They... don't get out at about the same time and since she'd be going anyway she's not enough of your friend to let you go to another simultaneous meeting every once in awhile?

That's kinda... suspect.
    I have talked to her about it before. They do get out at the same time, but honestly, I think she would be really bummed out if I didn't go (since we don't really do anything there, and I am her only entertainment, as far as I can tell, which I agree doesn't make any sense).

Meh. I honestly doubt there are available guys in the GSA that I just didn't know about before, although I guess there is the slim possibility.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #738

NecromancerGuy

I have talked to her about it before. They do get out at the same time, but honestly, I think she would be really bummed out if I didn't go (since we don't really do anything there, and I am her only entertainment, as far as I can tell, which I agree doesn't make any sense).
    Ok, yeah, she needs to be able to be her own person for half an hour every once in awhile, since that's a pretty bad excuse you've just coughed up. And if the club is really so boring despite being something for the viewing and discussion of something you presumably enjoy... maybe you guys should think about changing things up?

Meh. I honestly doubt there are available guys in the GSA that I just didn't know about before, although I guess there is the slim possibility.
    You know what they say about writing off the unknown as hopeless due to being unwilling to even take a look.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, yeah, she needs to be able to be her own person for half an hour every once in awhile, since that's a pretty bad excuse you've just coughed up. And if the club is really so boring despite being something for the viewing and discussion of something you presumably enjoy... maybe you guys should think about changing things up?
    I know. I am going to talk to her about it, but I doubt it will do anything. She can be pretty set in her ways... >.>

You know what they say about writing off the unknown as hopeless due to being unwilling to even take a look.
    I guess that is true.

ION: I just changed my facebook to saying that I am interested in men. This could be... interesting.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #740

NecromancerGuy

I know. I am going to talk to her about it, but I doubt it will do anything. She can be pretty set in her ways... >.>
    Then you know what kind of friend she is and whether you should be investing as much time or energy into her as you do.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Then you know what kind of friend she is and whether you should be investing as much time or energy into her as you do.

Now I feel all sadface. I definitely don't need to go to GSA, even though I might want to, and although we have talked about it, we haven't had an in depth convo. And, although she can be set in her ways, she might do it. I don't know.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

ION: I just changed my facebook to saying that I am interested in men. This could be... interesting.
    Nobody noticed when I changed my "interested in." I have a feeling most people thought it was a joke.

23. - Top - End - #743

NecromancerGuy

Nobody noticed when I changed my "interested in." I have a feeling most people thought it was a joke.
    Depending upon how many people pay attention to it initially, it's one of those things that could very well fly under everyone's radar, especially with how wall updates are filtered these days. And very, very few people are going to look up your info that already know you unless they need to get your email or number for whatever reason.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

Depending upon how many people pay attention to it initially, it's one of those things that could very well fly under everyone's radar, especially with how wall updates are filtered these days. And very, very few people are going to look up your info that already know you unless they need to get your email or number for whatever reason.
    True. I actually kind of like that it is so hard to find that information, and how it is so far down your profile. It makes it sort of hard to find, but definitely not impossible.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

This is true. I know I always feel mildly skeezy when I look at other people's profiles.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

This is true. I know I always feel mildly skeezy when I look at other people's profiles.
    Dude no. Don't even worry about it. When I told my friends I was going on a prospective friendly encounter/date/idon'tevenknow, they checked out his facebook profile like, a week before it happened. You are totally fine.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Dude no. Don't even worry about it. When I told my friends I was going on a prospective friendly encounter/date/idon'tevenknow, they checked out his facebook profile like, a week before it happened. You are totally fine.
    I fully realize I'm wrong about this, people tell me that all the time. But I'm a pretty private person myself, so I feel like I'm intruding on other people's privacy when I check it out with a fine toothed comb. The fact that they intentionally put it online for other people to see doesn't register for me, for whatever reason.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

I fully realize I'm wrong about this, people tell me that all the time. But I'm a pretty private person myself, so I feel like I'm intruding on other people's privacy when I check it out with a fine toothed comb. The fact that they intentionally put it online for other people to see doesn't register for me, for whatever reason.
    PSHA. I bet you that pretty much every person who you are "stalking" on Facebook/any media site has done that to another person.

My deviantArt.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #749

(emphasis mine)

Actually, this reminds me: a lesbian friend of mine reposted an article about facebook filtering out a photo of two guys kissing (both fully clothed) that someone'd been trying to post. Obviously everyone was sort of like "whhaaaat??"

Article is here for those interested, I've not finished wading all the updates so I still don't understand quite what has happened or why.
    Last edited by Eleanor_Rigby; 2011-04-23 at 05:03 PM.
    Current avatar by Zefir
    Thanks to Teutonic Knight, Kasanip, Oblivion, Dogmantra, Elder Tsofu, araveugnitsuga and Alarra

30. - Top - End - #750

NecromancerGuy

Mostly it's about how you mostly just see the updates from people you've been interacting with lately on facebook... as well as whoever's stuff you've been liking.
    Homebrew