New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    P.S. As a member of the ribs-showing community, I take offense to the degredation of our people's capability to be sexy as we are.
    Whatever floats your boats. I like curves on my women. However, I think most people think slim is sexy. Unfortunately, since I'm built like a porpoise.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Banned

Katy Perry also did Ur So Gay... I really just don't like any of her music.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since you kinda ninja-ed me and two a lot of people(you guys work fast!) posted since my post, i'll reply here:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirion View Post
    So I went on a road trip with some straight friends to Montreal. Every night we went bar hopping and club hopping. The very first club, fairly small one of about 30 people the second floor of a bar and about to wrap up, had two gay couples dancing. No one batted an eyelash. We were outside The Village, Montreal's gay community. I spot more in other straight clubs too.

Later on I'd see same-sex couples just walking down the street holding hands. Again, we're not in The Village. No reaction from anybody.
    D'awwww. This. This is what I consider victory for LGBTA+ rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirion View Post
    We obviously weren't successful in our quest, but I was shocked by the village. It was so normal. It wasn't that in your face flamboyant style I was accustomed to seeing from gay parades and the like. It was just normal, accepted. And my friends were surprisingly cool with everything. Gave this closeted guy a sigh of relief.

I definitely want to visit Montreal again!
    This is also a victory for me; that gay people can be gay without being a flaming stereotype. Fun fact: A person I used to know refused to believe I was gay on the basis that I wasn't an effeminate flaming girly-boy. Or that a friend of mine who was slightly effeminate was straight, and I suspect she promptly started spreading rumours about him for whatever reason.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Well, that was really weird. There was a lot more slime and crotch-touching than I had anticipated. I'm not a big fan of people dancing around in just their underwear generally because it often seems exploitative and seedy, even though sometimes it's also Hawt. But that wasn't hawt, because she's so incredibly skinny it made me feel worried about her. Is she getting enough food? Where's her mammy, letting her dance around in her underwear with her ribs sticking out?

But it is a catchy song!
    *Looks at skinniest picture I could find of Gaga*

Uhm, she is probably closer to a healthy range than me and I'm still in the "no danger, but you can count your ribs" zone. ^_^'

Also, stop posting so many alluring music links! I don't have time to watch them!

The Montreal story made me smile, though. Sounds much better than the stories I ususally hear about the general public.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    Tatu is one of the older ones I can think of. Can't decide if I like them in russian better though.
    Oh you IDIOT.
    Me, not you.
    HOW could I forget This? It's my favourite song right now.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Uhm, she is probably closer to a healthy range than me and I'm still in the "no danger, but you can count your ribs" zone. ^_^'
    There's actually a way to be there without having a dangerously low level of body fat? How about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, once I was 6' and weighed 100 lbs. (or thereabouts). But I never claimed it was sexy or healthy.

Suggestion: Let the Sunshine In.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

8. - Top - End - #1058

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Slurpintime View Post
    Also also: Uh... um... Something LGBT-related... Lady Gaga's Born This Way: Does it live up to her claims that it would be "the new gay anthem"?
    I've mostly been trying to avoid it until Youtube stops trying to shove it down my throat by redirecting me to it constantly.

Anyone else been noticing something like that happening since the song came out?

Heh.
    Well, the song it's meant to be replacing is I Will Survive. So...
    Really? That makes me sad now. I mean, when you have a community that is stereotyped due to having an apparently increased proportion interested in the creative arts and you have to co-opt a song from the perspective of a woman surviving domestic abuse as your anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    everyone is beautiful, everyone is perfect,
    Why does that resonate with you? We still have murderers and pedos as the current LCDs of non/anti-perfection.

Is this... is this an Australian thing?
    Wait. You meant the other one? I'm not exactly sure how that would help him rather than just hurt him.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I've mostly been trying to avoid it until Youtube stops trying to shove it down my throat by redirecting me to it constantly.

Anyone else been noticing something like that happening since the song came out?
    Yes, a thousand times yes. It doesn't matter whether I'm looking up music, a Monty Python sketch, or an economics video-lecture. For the past few weeks the top related video has been one of her songs Every. Single. TIME.

As someone who doesn't enjoy her music or weird dada-istic tendencies even a little, I object! *takes out a torch and pitchfork* We must storm the Bastille, show the youtube tyrants that our tastes shall not be influenced by their brainwashing back room deals!

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

There's actually a way to be there without having a dangerously low level of body fat? How about that.
    Eeyup. Skinny teenagers are like that.

It would take about two kilograms for me to be underweight, so I must have some fat!...

I'm not helping my case, am I?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

11. - Top - End - #1061

Also, stop posting so many alluring music links! I don't have time to watch them!
    NEVAR!! Oh alright, two more links, and then that's it. For now. >:3c

Mark Weigle was the one I forgot, and it's not about LGBT in particular, but Within Temptation's Stand my ground seems rather appropriate.

@Echoes: Yeeeah, this is why I ignore the recommended/suggested/sponsered/etc videos. They rarely, if ever, even remotely relate to what I'm currently watching. They're about a step above spam-bots spouting "HOT GIRLS FREE HERE" and such non-sense... on a video about gay love. *ker-facepalm*

12. - Top - End - #1062

NecromancerGuy

Eeyup. Skinny teenagers are like that.

It would take about two kilograms for me to be underweight, so I must have some fat!...

I'm not helping my case, am I?
    No, not really, I'm still quite skeptical about this claim. Especially since you made it about skinny teenagers with all the strange things happening to their bodies(plus, y'know, thinking about teenagers' bodies. ew. ) and the assumption that not being underweight means healthy and not underfat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Nihila View Post
    I suppose, but it still irritates me. It sort of reminds me of that teacher who was fired for taking her students to an art museum where there were nude statues..
    It shouldn't, those are completely different orders of magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    It's the thing most people I know are going to think of though.
    Especially for a LCD medium such as music videos where the general symbology is that it does mean X.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to nominate We Are the Champions by Queen as the anthem of pan-queer nationality, especially since that was its actual purport. I'm a little surprised it hasn't come up yet.

& I'm 26 and my ribs are xylophony, so dammit, it's not unhealthy.
    Last edited by Kneenibble; 2011-05-04 at 02:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

No, not really, I'm still quite skeptical about this claim. Especially since you made it about skinny teenagers with all the strange things happening to their bodies(plus, y'know, thinking about teenagers' bodies. ew. ) and the assumption that not being underweight means healthy and not underfat.
    I have not seen many shirtless people older than me, so skinny teenagers are my basis.

It doesn't? I was under the assumption that underweight meant that you where unhealthy and normal weight meant... Well, normal. ^_^'

My hip-waist ratio isn't in the danger zone either, though. ^_^

I wonder if it could have something to do with genetics or muscle-mass, think taht may explain why we disagree?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground

Obviously there's a range of healthy sizes. I don't know if Lady Gaga is actually medically undernourished or just built like a pencil, but if I was her friend, I'd be telling her to take it easy and make sure she was getting three square meals. Separately, I don't find that stick-thin look attractive, especially not on women because hips and breasts are there for a reason, but I could understand that some people like skinny, same way some people like curvy, or pear shaped, or ripped, or whatever. In fact, my partner is at the low end of the healthy weight range, and 6'1", but Lady Gaga looks like she's about half his size, but not much shorter, in that video anyway. I've seen other videos and wasn't so struck by it, but then, she was wearing clothes or clothes-like structures at the time.

Also, I understand that semi- or completely naked isn't always about sex, and I have seen great pieces of art that show the human form in a non-sexual way. But the way she was dancing? I mean, there was a lot of birth imagery, but typically it's a pregnant women who gives birth. Since she clearly wasn't pregnant, that interpretation only goes so far.

And I second We Are The Champions, because it is kick ass!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

Since we're on the subject of weight anyway, what's a healthy weight for somebody who's 6'2? I know I'm more underweight than I should be, I'm just wondering how much more.*

*I'm not concerned about looking thin or anything, I'm just too dang picky when it comes to food.

17. - Top - End - #1067

It shouldn't, those are completely different orders of magnitude.
    Yes, definitely. I'm not claiming Asta Kask, or people like him are of that magnitude, but I can't help but think of that sort of thing when people sexualize things that (in my mind) are not sexual.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Also, I understand that semi- or completely naked isn't always about sex, and I have seen great pieces of art that show the human form in a non-sexual way. But the way she was dancing? I mean, there was a lot of birth imagery, but typically it's a pregnant women who gives birth. Since she clearly wasn't pregnant, that interpretation only goes so far.
    I disagree. You can have all sorts of imagery about birth and creation without needing a pregnant person.

Also, Lady GaGa is a lot shorter than you'd think. She does wear insanely high heels a lot though.

Really, the main thing I like about Born This Way as a gay anthem, is that it's explicitly stated that it's about the LGBT community.
    Last edited by Nix Nihila; 2011-05-04 at 03:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Since we're on the subject of weight anyway, what's a healthy weight for somebody who's 6'2? I know I'm more underweight than I should be, I'm just wondering how much more.*

*I'm not concerned about looking thin or anything, I'm just too dang picky when it comes to food.
    66 to 88 kilograms or 145.5 to 194 lbs, according to my research.

We're apparently same height so...

*6'2 high five!*

XD
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2011-05-04 at 03:28 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Titan in the Playground

If you really want to gain weight, a good way is to exercise.

― Tim Fargo

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

66 to 88 kilograms or 145.5 to 194 lbs, according to my research.

We're apparently same height so...

*6'2 high five!*

XD
    Oh. I'm technically within the healthy weight range then. I weigh a little under 150.

*High five*

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    If you really want to gain weight, a good way is to exercise.
    Yes, but that requires Hard work and effort. I actually have been.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-05-04 at 03:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

Do it my way then. Drink a gallon of soda every day for three years. Guaranteed to put blubber on those bones. Healthy? No. Effective? Yes.

― Tim Fargo

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

About weight, count me in as someone who didn't realise you could be at a healthy weight and still have countable ribs!

It's called a "range" for a reason though. Bone structure, metabolism, etc, mean that two people of same height might be at opposite ends of that healthy range.
    This being said, it also means that people can be at opposite ends of the heathy range and BOTH be unhealthy, because the thinner one of the two should be on the upper part of it and the heavier one should be on the lower part of it rather than the opposite.

To take the example of 66 to 88 kilograms, obviously if someone should be one and they're the other one, it can be a problem.

Exercise is indeed the best way to regulate your weight to what it should be (meaning you'll lose if you're overweight and gain if you're underweight) provided you eat healthy too of course. (Eat after exercising so that it can rebuild the muscles you've just been tearing, and make sure to get a bunch of protein in that meal).

I think it's a bit sad that nowadays people get scared when they're barely heavy, and don't worry about being too thin, as it can be a problem too. I hear the "healthy" BMI range has even been changed from 20-25 to 18-25 because too many people were under it. That seems silly.
    18-20 used to be "underweight", the equivalent of the "overweight", and under 18 was "severely underweight" or the equivalent of obese but the other way around (as in it becomes medically bad for you).
    There is no reason why 18-20 would suddenly be healthier than it used to be, but I heard that since models often fell into that range, it got changed so people couldn't say models weren't healthy. Pretty silly altogether.

The weird thing is that wikipedia still has the old numbers in the description:

a BMI of 20 to 25 may indicate optimal weight; a BMI lower than 20 suggests the person is underweight while a number above 25 may indicate the person is overweight; a person may have a BMI below 20 due to disease; a number above 30 suggests the person is obese (over 40, morbidly obese).
    But then their chart shows up to 18.5 as normal. So they're using both ways at the same time. No wonder people get confused.

(BMI is obviously not the most accurate thing ever, but it's a common way to get a general idea when you're sedentary, which is why it's what I'm talking about here).

Since we're on the LGBT thread, I wonder if the weights compare with the general population, or if due to bullying, non acceptance, etc, there are more eating disorders for instance.

23. - Top - End - #1073

I'm 6'4 and 238 pounds... great, now I feel like a fatty-pants. >_>

Not even touching the nudity =\= sexuality topic because I will either
    • A) WHAAARGHBL repeatedly.
    • B)Flip the frickity frick out.
    • C)Have a goddess-damned rage-induced aneurysm.
    • D)Wish the world to be stabbed. With FIRE.
    • E)Some combination of the above.

Yes, the stupidity and narrowmindedness of some people when dealing with this topic spooshes me off that much. Nudity is not dirty or sexual in of itselfckpthgzl!! >_<

Oh, and some more for the anthem:
    • Christina Aguilera
    • Gossip
    • Bit of a stretch, but this could sort of qualify, and even then it's more "Take THAT, homophobes!" rather than "Gay is okay".

This was supposed to be more fleshed out, but I is tie-uuurd.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm 181 cm tall and weigh 70 kg, coming down to BMI of 21,4.

And I'm stick thin. Really. Skin and bones. I really wish my upper body would pick up some more muscle mass so I wouldn't look so wiry. I guess all that weight must be in my legs (somehow).

I make up for it by wearing thick and loose clothes, which make me look twice broader than I actually am.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    And I'm stick thin. Really. Skin and bones. I really wish my upper body would pick up some more muscle mass so I wouldn't look so wiry. I guess all that weight must be in my legs (somehow).
    You could try push-ups and lifting weights. I was worried when I started that I would look all beefy or something, which I didn't want (especially being a woman, but you might not want that either despite being male), but that didn't happen at all and I feel much better being able to carry stuff around, instead of feeling weak and stuff. And it muscles your arms, shoulders and chest all at once.

It's super hard at the beginning but then it gets easy much faster than I expected it to. You can start against a wall, then switch to the floor from your knees, then full push ups. PM me if you want to talk about that so the thread doesn't get too derailed :)
    Last edited by Lissou; 2011-05-04 at 05:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

175cm and barely more than 50kg... >.>

People have wondered how I'm capable of standing in the past.

No, I do not have any eating disorders, yes I exercise regularly, including lifting weights. I'm just built like a pole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    You could try push-ups and lifting weights.
    "Could"? I already do that, have done for a long while. It just happens to work very, very slowly on my body.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Bugbear in the Playground

According to the BMI I'm underweight (16.7), and every site that tells me this also has a list of "treatments" for my "condition".

And I, too, resent the implication that just because I'm tall and have very little fat and tiny tiny bones means I can't be sexy.

But it's nice to be able to still fit in boys clothing and have them fit fairly well.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Troll in the Playground

Sheesh, I'm starting to feel fat at a BMI of 20.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. So, I have new news on the "golly gee, golentan may be intersex" front.

My doc and I had a talk a couple months back, and asked me to keep a journal of some physical and emotional traits. I appear to be synced with my friend's menstrual cycle three months running. Tangential note: I really want to jump someone's bones right now.

Got an appointment to try confirming it with a blood test in a couple more months. Not that I want to jump someone's bones, just that I may be intersex.

Note that I'm not going to. I have self respect, self control, and all that. It's just obnoxious and distracting. Probably. On which note, it's too bad E wasn't interested, he would totally have gotten lucky tonight.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.