New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAitp - Part Thirteen

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    DMS, you are a very cunning linguist. I vote for Queer Thread, we shouldn't do anything because of tradition. Also how is Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Questioning redundant?
    Sometimes the "Q" is for "Queer", which is what I think Kyuubi was interpreting it as. Personally, I would prefer an acronym over Queer, but I don't care too much.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Why? Why should we exclude Asexuals? Plus, LGBTQ is redundant isn't it?
    It's not about excluding anyone, it's about not offending anyone who is not included. LGBT and LGBTQ both see a lot of use, and while they may not be all-inclusive, they are commonly accepted, and are of a length that can be handled in most conversation. If we deviate from the standard without finding a way to include everyone, someone is likely to be offended.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Why would Asexuals be offended that they're not included though?

If you do rename it to Queer Thread, then it should probably start over from one as a successor thread rather than a new iteration of the same thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    DMS, you are a very cunning linguist. I vote for Queer Thread, we shouldn't do anything because of tradition. Also how is Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Questioning redundant?
    I believe the idea is that if one is questioning, one is going to be something non heteronormative once one has figured one's self out.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-05-23 at 02:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Do we really need a separate letter for the man who does James Bond's cars?

Queer Thread! Or Rainbow Thread!

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

I'd prefer Rainbow m'self
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I believe the idea is that if one is questioning, one is going to be something non heteronormative once one has figured one's self out.
    How about we just call it the "Not Heteronormative Thread"? It may seem clumsy, but it fits everyone and I don't see how someone could be insulted by it.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

Lets do Rainbow thread.

I just think there's no point in removing a letter once you've added it.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-05-23 at 02:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Why would Asexuals be offended that they're not included though?
    "Let's make a thread about sexuality, but not include the asexual community. They're not important, right?"

That's why.

I was questioning for a while, and I ended up being incredibly heteronormative (okay, I'm a bit fabulous, but that's not a matter of sexuality, that's personality). It's a state of uncertainty. If change were certain, we would probably call it "transitioning", not "questioning".

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought the A was for "Allies". I vote for "queer thread" or "rainbow thread". With the letters we can't include everyone specifically, it would get to long.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, how about we not randomly change the thread title to something either offensive to a substantial fraction of the non-heteronormative community or completely meaningless?
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Troll in the Playground

Let's go with Rainbow Thread then, that way no-one is offended.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    Hey, how about we not randomly change the thread title to something either offensive to a substantial fraction of the non-heteronormative community or completely meaningless?
    Emphasis added. It's not a thread about rainbows.

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Troll in the Playground

This is Scout.
    Rainbows make me cry!
    Over!

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ogre in the Playground

Emphasis added. It's not a thread about rainbows.
    No, but it's a thread about people who are different and that's well represented by the different colours of the rainbow.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    No, but it's a thread about people who are different and that's well represented by the different colours of the rainbow.
    So why not name it the UN then?
    Deviantart
    Youtube
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every few years, the yank moviegoing public is greeted with a movie that instantly earns the desirable tag of "One of the Scariest Movies Ever Made!" This designation accustomed be reserved for less than the foremost special of terror tales — psychotic, The Exorcist, Alien — however currently, it is a catch phrase combat, Saw, The Descent, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister — the list goes on. (But no Jack and Jill? What the hell?) -A Wise Adbot

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Wait, I know I've been MIA for a bit, but why do we need to change the thread title? It's worked just fine for thirteen threads now.

17. - Top - End - #1487

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    "Let's make a thread about sexuality, but not include the asexual community. They're not important, right?"
    Except the thread and concept isn't about sexuality, it's about queer sexuality. How is a lack of sexuality a queer sexuality was the question? If it was about sexuality you'd have a bigger issue of why you left out all heteronormative sexuality, which is generally considered the majority.

And, no, we wouldn't, because calling it transitioning would be rather foolish in the light of its meaning to the trans community part of the greater queer community.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-05-23 at 03:26 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Danne View Post
    Wait, I know I've been MIA for a bit, but why do we need to change the thread title? It's worked just fine for thirteen threads now.
    The LGBT part did, yes. The A part was added later, and caused quite a bit of discussion when it was. And now I feel sorry for bringing it up again, but it still does bug me, at least.
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

19. - Top - End - #1489

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    The LGBT part did, yes. The A part was added later, and caused quite a bit of discussion when it was. And now I feel sorry for bringing it up again, but it still does bug me, at least.
    The amount of bad blood over it is what bugs me, since I see it as entirely an issue of semantics and finding a new compromise to replace something that already is a compromise.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-05-23 at 03:31 PM.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #1490

United Nations of Sexual Orientation

UNSO

It had a nice ring to it.

On that note I'm a fan of either reducing the acronym back to LGBT/GLBT

or going with the Rainbow Thread. I personally dislike the idea of calling it the Queer thread.

21. - Top - End - #1491

Zombie

Wait, bad blood? The A bugging people?

Call me confused. I thought the A was a nice touch.
    Last edited by Danne; 2011-05-23 at 03:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if you are not L, G, B, T or A, but still consider yourself part of the umbrella that LGBT covers, you kind of ask "why did we add a non-standard letter and not a letter that covers me". Or maybe only I do that.
    I use black for sarcasm.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really care much about the A one way or the other, myself. At first I thought it was a bit pointless and verging on the alphabet-soup that starts to happen when you try to include every possible related initial, but then when the thread opened, a number of asexuals commented that it made them feel more welcome, so whatever. But randomly switching the thread over to Rainbow or Queer is pointless change for change's sake, and I don't see the need for it at all.

24. - Top - End - #1494

I didn't even noticed the A.

I did notice that asexuality was getting discussed freely and without judgement here.

I do think that taking the A out now isn't that great an idea, I think it sends the message, "We tried to include you, but feel you aren't a match with us after all." which I don't think is and desirable message to send.

25. - Top - End - #1495

NecromancerGuy

Well, you could follow the discussion and decide for yourself what could be seen as the bad blood. I certainly see the discussion as having gotten quite tense when it's come up in the past.

For my analysis, it's not so much the A itself that anyone is objecting to so much as the endemic efforts to go further than the A and no consensus about how best to do so and several people not wanting to do so at all and seeing the A and opening the door as wastes of time that distract us from offering support by putting us in conflict with one another, so that people who come into the thread see it as a hostile environment.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-05-23 at 03:48 PM.
    Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by celtois View Post
    United Nations of Sexual Orientation

UNSO
    Excludes genderqueer people and people with non-standard gender identities though. But that's probably gonna happen with every name. ("Excluding people.")
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1497

Zombie

I don't really care much about the A one way or the other, myself. At first I thought it was a bit pointless and verging on the alphabet-soup that starts to happen when you try to include every possible related initial, but then when the thread opened, a number of asexuals commented that it made them feel more welcome, so whatever. But randomly switching the thread over to Rainbow or Queer is pointless change for change's sake, and I don't see the need for it at all.
    I agree with this. The A made people happy. Other names wouldn't necessarily tell people what we're all about. (UN thread? We're not the United Nations.) LGBT+ is something that people recognize.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, I feel sorry for bringing it up now. We're on page 51, so you might as well start the next thread with the A.
    I use black for sarcasm.

29. - Top - End - #1499

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Happy View Post
    I didn't even noticed the A.

I did notice that asexuality was getting discussed freely and without judgement here.
    We really have no choice in the matter as per the board rules and it's rather pointless to make up a new super specific thread just for discussing asexuality. It had already been discussed here for quite a while before the A was added, so the A is irrelevant to its discussion starting up here or being done freely or without violating the board rules.

Hell, it's basic common courtesy and decency, which, while not actually common, is still a fair bit higher in its expression around here than many places.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Happy View Post
    I do think that taking the A out now isn't that great an idea, I think it sends the message, "We tried to include you, but feel you aren't a match with us after all." which I don't think is and desirable message to send.
    Well, no, since all of the established and identified ones already know the real deal and as has been shown, those who have not yet been introduced properly don't even properly know what the A stands for. I'm kind of surprised that it's not in the first post or something spelling it out for people by now. Then again, I haven't checked to see if it is or is not specifically, so maybe that's the real issue with the confusion.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-05-23 at 04:00 PM.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #1500

In any case, I've gone ahead and made another thread (am I breaking some convention by doing this? It appears as if the previous threads were all created by SMEE, Jacklu, and Coidzor).

Anyway, head over HERE.
    Last edited by Nix Nihila; 2011-05-23 at 04:08 PM.