New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default [hybrid help] the Brutal | Brawler > a rogue|fighter

i want to do a brutal scoundrel build, hybriding with brawler fighter. i have some of it worked out, i guess im just putting this out there to see what the playground thinks of the idea, if it could work well, or bomb. it seems like a synergistic mix to me!

i like the thought of striking with combat advantage, throwing the target to the ground, then getting more combat advantage. come and get it + rain of steel seems advantageous with sneak attack, but i may be wrong

oh yeah, this is a level 7 build. my rolled numbers are

str 18, con 16, dex, 20, int 11, wis 14, cha 5
    Last edited by SylvanPrincess; 2011-03-28 at 02:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [hybrid help] the Brutal | Brawler > a rogue|fighter

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanPrincess View Post
    i want to do a brutal scoundrel build, hybriding with brawler fighter.
    Why, what is your aim for this build? Most hybrids are less effective than either class would be individually.

i like the thought of striking with combat advantage, throwing the target to the ground, then getting more combat advantage.
    Rogues have plenty of ways to get CA without requiring fighter powers.

come and get it + rain of steel seems advantageous with sneak attack
    It's not: a hybrid cannot sneak attack on fighter powers, nor on basic attacks.

I don't see what advantages the fighter class is giving you, so I would recommend a regular rogue.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanPrincess View Post
    i want to do a brutal scoundrel build, hybriding with brawler fighter. i have some of it worked out, i guess im just putting this out there to see what the playground thinks of the idea, if it could work well, or bomb. it seems like a synergistic mix to me!
    Could be fun.

So you want to be grabbing people, throwing them around, and shanking them?

First, a general rule is to pick rogue powers that are usable on a minor action.

You won't be able to have both the Brawling Fighter and the Brutal Rogue features before paragon (and getting both will cost you your Paragon Path). So figure out which one you prefer.
    i like the thought of striking with combat advantage, throwing the target to the ground, then getting more combat advantage. come and get it + rain of steel seems advantageous with sneak attack, but i may be wrong
    Come and Get it and Rain of Steel don't help with sneak attack -- but they are fun powers, regardless. They are both top-notch fighter powers.

Less so given that you will probably have a low [W] die, but still pretty good.
    oh yeah, this is a level 7 build. my rolled numbers are

str 18, con 16, dex, 20, int 11, wis 14, cha 5
    I assume you applied +2 to Dex?

First, lets look at what you start with: All weapon proficiency and leather armor.

Next, determine what you want to spend your hybrid talent feat on. Brawler fighter or Rogue?

If you pick up a Ki strike class (like Monk or Assassin) multiclass, you can duplicate the Brawler fighter "enhancement to unarmed attacks" trick without burning your hybrid talent.

You'll need a light blade for your rogue powers. The best light blade you can get is a rapier (which you start with proficiency in), but it isn't very flavorable. You could ask your DM if you can reflavour it as a Gladus (a short, wide stabbing sword).

Are you human by any chance?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I would either go brawler, for grabbing or rogue, for sneak attack. Unless you are thinking of some obscure combo that I do not know about fighter and rogue do not hybrid nicely together.

Now you could make a nasty hybrid doing rogue and warden. It gives you a catch 22 with a mark and riposte strike but fighter won't allow that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

oh ok, shoot. well i def think i should do brutal scoundrel. i have a high enough str to make it worthwhile. i liked the brawler fighter ability that increased my defenses, but if i had to choose, i think id go for brutal scoundrel.

yes im human.

gladius sounds perfect actually. in the old game i had spiked brass knuckles that did d8 19-20/x2 damage. ill talk to him about what weapon to use

i am playing this character tonight, leaving really soon.im so confused about what i want!