New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [d20r Class] Barbarian

Barbarian

This is the barbarian class for the d20r system. Posted with Fax's permission. Fax is also considering having the barbarian as a set of alternate class features, found here. Discussion of the class can also be found on the Competitor boards here. For those not familiar with Fax's d20r, an overview of the differences between it and 3.5 can be found here. You can find the basics of natures here, they may receive their own thread.

Hit Dice: d12

Skill sets: A barbarian has the warrior skill set and chooses two others.

Prowess: A barbarian receives 6 points of prowess per level.

Table: Barbarian
    {table=head]Level|
    Base Attack[br]Bonus
    |Fort|Ref|Will|Special|
    Fast[br]Movement

1st|+1|+2|+1|+0|Focus, illiteracy, nature (aspect)|+10'

2nd|+2|+3|+1|+0|Intensified focus|+10'

3rd|+3|+3|+2|+1|Uncanny dodge|+10'

4th|+4|+4|+2|+1|Bonus racial feat|+10'

5th|+5|+4|+3|+1|Nature (heart)|+15'

6th|+6/+1|+5|+3|+2|Intensified focus|+15'

7th|+7/+2|+5|+3|+2|Improved uncanny dodge|+15'

8th|+8/+3|+6|+4|+2|Toughened skin|+15'

9th|+9/+4|+6|+4|+3|Bonus racial feat, nature (mind)|+15'

10th|+10/+5|+7|+5|+3|Intensified focus|+20'

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+5|+3|Greater focus|+20'

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+6|+4|Indomitable will|+20'

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+6|+4|Nature (spirit)|+20'

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+6|+4|Bonus racial feat, intensified focus|+20'

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+7|+5|Instantaneous focus|+25'

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+7|+5|Improved toughened skin|+25'

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+8|+5|Nature (soul)|+25'

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+8|+6|Intensified focus|+25'

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+9|+6|Bonus racial feat|+25'

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+9|+6|Singular focus|+30'[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
    A barbarian has proficiency with simple weapons and two other weapon groups, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Fast Movement (Ex) [Martial]

A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race, as indicated on the Table: Barbarian. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Illiteracy

Barbarians are the only characters who do not automatically know how to read and write. A barbarian may spend 2 skill points to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak.

A barbarian who gains a level in any other class automatically gains literacy. Any other character who gains a barbarian level does not lose the literacy he or she already had.

Nature [Primal, Progressing]

A barbarian deeply in tune with their natures, and may select an aspect tier instinct. At 4th level they may select a heart tier instinct. At 9th level they may select a mind tier instinct. At 13th level you may select a spirit tier instinct. And at 17th level you may select a soul tier instinct.

Focus (Ex) [Primal]

A barbarian can become incredibly focused in combat a certain number of rounds per encounter. While focused, a barbarian temporarily gains either a +4 bonus to Strength or Dexterity, which is chosen when the barbarian gains this ability and cannot be changed. Additionally, he gains a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarian’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the focus when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.)

While focused, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.

A barbarian may become focused as a free action on his turn for a number of rounds per encounter equal to 3 + his Hero Value. A barbarian may end his focus as a swift action. At the end of the focus, the barbarian loses the focus modifiers and restrictions and becomes fatigued (-2 penalty to Strength, -2 penalty to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for a number of minutes equal to the number of rounds he spent focused. A barbarian cannot become focused as long as he is fatigued or exhausted.

Intensified Focus (Ex) [Primal, Progressing]

At 2nd level a barbarian’s personality starts to show while he is focused. While all barbarians can become focused, each barbarian expresses that concentration and skill in a unique way. Select one of the following augmentations. It becomes a part of your focus, modifying it to best reflect the barbarian. You may select an additional augment at 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th levels. These augments only apply while you are focused.

• All allies within 30', yourself included, gain a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls and saves against fear effects. You may select this augment multiple times. Each additional time you select it the morale bonus increase by +2 and the range is extended by 10'.
    • As a swift action, you may add twice the number or rounds remaining in your focus to all your attack and damage rolls for the rest of the turn, and your focus ends at the end of that turn. You are exhausted for 1 minute after ending your focus in this fashion.
    • As a swift action, you may aim your next blow at a vital area of your opponent. An opponent you threaten must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + Intelligence modifier) or the next melee attack you make against them this round automatically threatens a critical if it hits. You may select this augment multiple times. Each time you do you increase the DC by +2 and you receive a +2 bonus to confirming the critical hit granted from this ability.
    • As a swift action, you may bellow fearsomely. Every enemy that can hear you must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + Charisma modifier) or be shaken for 1 round. You may select this augment multiple times. Each time you do increase the DC by 2 and the duration of the shaken condition by 1 round.
    • As a swift action, you may designate an opponent you can see. You gain a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls and saving throws against the selected opponent. You take an additional penalty to your AC against attacks made by the designated opponent equal to the morale bonus. You may only designate one opponent at a time. You may select this augment multiple times. Each additional time you select it increase the morale bonuses by +2.
    • As a swift action, you may press your opponents with hammering blows. Every enemy that you make a melee attack against this round must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + Wisdom modifier) or be fatigued for 1d6 rounds. You may select this augment multiple times. Each time you do increase the DC by 2 and the duration of the fatigued condition by 1 round.
    • Double the prowess invested in all of your [Investing] feats.
    • Double the prowess invested in all of your weapon proficiencies.
    • You are immune to fatigue and exhaustion and are no longer fatigued once a rage ends. You may select this augment multiple times. Each time you do select two of the following conditions, you are now immune to those as well: cowering, dazed, fascinated, frightened, nauseated, panicked, shaken, sickened, stunned.
    • You do not take a -2 penalty to your Armor Class. You may select this augment multiple times. Each additional time you select it you gain a +2 dodge bonus to your AC
    • You gain 1 additional attack at your highest base attack bonus whenever you perform a full attack. You must have at least 4 other intensified focus augments to select this ability.
    • You gain a +1 morale bonus to all saving throws and rolling a 1 is no longer an automatic failure (this stacks with the morale bonus normally provided by focus). You may select this augment multiple times. Each additional time you select it the bonus increases by +2.
    • You gain an extra +2 Strength and +2 Constitution. You may select this augment multiple times.
    • You gain an extra +2 Dexterity and +2 Constitution. You may select this augment multiple times.
    • You gain temporary hit points equal to your Constitution modifier at the start of each round (temporary hit points don’t stack).
    • You have Evasion. You may select this augment an additional time. If you do you have Improved Evasion instead.
    • You have Improved Grab. You may select this augment multiple times. Each additional time you select it you gain a +4 bonus to all grapple checks.
    • You have Mettle.
    • You have Pounce. You must have at least 2 other intensified focus augments to select this ability.
    • You ignore up to 5 points of damage reduction and hardness. You may select this augment multiple times. Each additional time you select it increase the damage reduction and hardness ignored by 5.
    • Your bonus speed from fast movement is doubled.
    • Your melee attacks deal +1d12 damage. You may select this augment multiple times.
    • Your reach is increased by 5'. You must have at least 2 other intensified focus augments to select this ability.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex) [Martial]

At 3rd level, a barbarian retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a barbarian already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Bonus Racial Feat

At 4th level a barbarian has gotten in touch with his ancestors. He gains a bonus feat with his racial description. He gains another bonus racial feat at 9th, 14th, and 19th levels.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex) [Martial]

At 7th level and higher, a barbarian can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the barbarian by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has barbarian levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Toughened Skin (Ex) [Martial]

At 8th level the barbarian gains damage reduction 5/--.

Greater Focus (Ex) [Primal]

At 11th level, a barbarian’s bonuses to Strength or Dexterity (depending on what was chosen) and Constitution while he is focused each increase to +6, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +3. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Indomitable Will (Ex) [Primal]

A barbarian gains a terrific clarity of thought while he is focused, becoming incredibly difficult to influence. At 12th level you may reroll any 1 Will save per focus and use the higher result.

Instantaneous Focus (Ex) [Primal]

At 15th level a barbarian can become focused at a moment’s notice. You may become focused at any time, even when it’s not your turn or you’re surprised. You can activate your focus as a response to another’s action.

Improved Toughened Skin (Ex) [Martial]

At 16th level the barbarian’s damage reduction increases to 10/--.

Singular Focus (Ex) [Primal]

At 20th level, a barbarian’s bonuses to Strength or Dexterity (depending on what was chosen) and Constitution during his rage each increase to +8, and his morale bonus on Will saves increases to +4. The penalty to AC remains at -2.

Updates -

Spoiler
    Show
    4/5/2011
    • Added natures
    • Changed when you get intensified rage from 2nd/5th/8th/11th/14th/17th/20th to 2nd/6th/10th/14th/18th
    • Changed greater rage to be gained at 11th level
    • Changed indomitable will to be gained at 12th level
    • Added toughened skin at 8th level and changed the 16th level one to improved toughened skin
    • Changed rage to focus (and the other rage-based abilities to focus), and made it clearer that it could be used one per encounter
    • Modified intensified focus abilities, and add prereqs to some options
      • Changed the increased morale bonus to allies attack/damage rolls and save vs fear from +1 to +2 when selected additional times
      • Changed the swift action bellow to increase it’s duration by 1 round when selected multiple times
      • Changed the increased morale bonus to your saves from +1 to +2 when selected additional times
      • Made the additional attack augment require 4 other augments first.
      • Made the pounce augment require 2 other augments first
      • Changed the bonus dice damage from 1d6 to 1d12
      • Made the reach augment require 2 other augments first

4/6/2011
    • Changed focus to select either Str or Dex
    • Changed greater focus and singular focus to reflect Dex option
      • Added the augment that removes the AC penalty and adds a dodge bonus
      • Added a +2 Dex/Con augment
      • Added the augment that doubles weapon proficiency prowess.
      • Removed the augment that switched your Str bonus to Dex

4/18/2010
    • Added keywords to class abilities
      • Added the Int-based augment that auto threatens a crit
      • Added the Wis-based augment that fatigues enemies
      • Changed the initial duration of the Cha-based shaken from 1d6 rounds to 1 round
      • Added a note that you count yourself as an ally for the Moral bonus aura
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-04-19 at 01:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [d20r Class] Barbarian

I'm disappointed by this, honestly. Most of d20r is pretty damn cool, but this Barbarian is a bit of a let-down.

Firstly, there are some editing and balancing problems...nowhere does it say how many Rages/day I get, for example. Additionally, some of the Intensified Rage abilities are clearly better than others, to such a great extent that it leaves me quite puzzled (compare reach, an extra attack, or immunity to conditions to, say, +1 to attack/damage/saves against fear).

My biggest problem, however, is how...well...one-dimensional the class is. You rage. You're good at raging. Heck...you're fantastic at raging.

And now your rage is over. Congratulations...you're a Fighter without feats, and you're fatigued to boot. Unless, of course, you took the mandatory "No Fatigue" Intensifier.

I expected options, variety, and excitement in a d20r class. This is just a chassis for a good but ultimately unimpressive Rage re-write.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

At this point it primarily is a chassis. The barbarian hadn't got much attention at all, and I was looking over various d20r things today when I looked at it again. So I asked Fax if I could post it up for discussion.

I agree that at this point it is pretty much nothing but rage, and a few racial feats. So what would you suggest? What direction would you like to see the barbarian take, what common threads would you see in most barbarians aside from rage? Scouting? Connection with nature? Tribal rituals? Physical improvement and perfection?

As for the intensified rage...yes, the power level varies wildly. When I first wrote them (and still today) I'm unsure of what power level Fax would like for the class, so I've left them scattered across the range of power until that becomes more defined, at which point balancing can occur.

And you're completely right about the rages/day. Needs to be added. Though I'm wondering if it might be better to just do a straight once per encounter.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-03-28 at 09:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I think I'd much rather see the ACFs, to be honest.

The D&D barbarian class has too much in common with the dreadnought (or warblade) class as it is -- the only real difference between the two is that the dreadnought (or warblade) is not necessarily a complete and utter frothing lunatic.

Why does "barbarian" have to mean "lunatic" anyway? I don't think the Huns or the Mongols spent that much time foaming at the mouth. Nor would samurai.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2011-03-29 at 01:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at this class, I think it might indeed be better to scrap it and use the ACF instead... perhaps also some rage-related style feats. It's not bad, but it's very much a one-trick pony and there's not a lot that could be done... maybe except building the the Barbarian as a light-armored warrior relying on speed. But Ranger and Fencer already cover that role.
    Last edited by Morty; 2011-03-29 at 02:01 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I am inclined to agree with you that turning the barbarian into a series of ACFs might be the better way to go.

When I wrote this up, several months ago, I remember thinking about the barbarian and what I could do with it, what flavor it had that spoke to me of various abilities. And the primary one was rage. The secondary one was...not much. And with Fax's additional melee classes...well, I just had no idea what a barbarian would focus on. Nothing, at least, that another class wasn't already doing.

Is there anything you can think of the barbarian could focus on, aside from raging, that would help it stand as a class on it's own? Or should we focus on helping turn barbarian into a wide-spread ACF?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

There are three things I can think of:
    • A primitive, spiritual warrior, aided by his tribal totems and/or ancestors. Problem: it can also be achieved by multiclassing druid with a martial class.
    • A light-armored, quick warrior relying on mobility instead of brute force. Problem: doesn't mesh with rage as it is now. Plus, fencers and rangers already cover this.
    • An ultimate survivalist, able to adapt to shifting environment and supernatural powers. Not sure if one can build an effective class around that, though.

Of the three, I think the "totemic barbarian" option is the most viable one, if you were to make a clear distinction between the spirits Druids invoke and the Barbarian's totems.
    Last edited by Morty; 2011-03-31 at 06:43 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm...I think the first idea might be the strongest. I'll do something thinking on it and see what I come up with (and compare with the druid to make sure it isn't terribly redundant).

The second one, as you say, is already covered.

As for the third, I could see that as being an aspect of the first, as I don't see it being able to offer the variety we're looking for here.

At the very worst we'll come up with a few ideas that could be incorporated into the ACF style barbarian.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

There might not be a need to scrap the class. Simply calling it "Berserker" makes the fluff a little easy (getting rid of the "all barbarians seem to be lunatics" theme) and also ties the totem theme in quite well if you want that option.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Another problem with the totemic barbarian is that it's a bit restrictive fluff-wise... other classes can come from wherever, but the barbarian would be restricted to barbaric, totem-worshipping cultures.
    And calling it a "berserker" doesn't fix the problem that "guy who rages" is simply too narrow a concept to make a class.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Another problem with the totemic barbarian is that it's a bit restrictive fluff-wise... other classes can come from wherever, but the barbarian would be restricted to barbaric, totem-worshipping cultures.
    And calling it a "berserker" doesn't fix the problem that "guy who rages" is simply too narrow a concept to make a class.
    That depends. We don't have to tie the totems to things like animals. It may be better to do a sort of domain style thing, where the totems are ideals and concepts. Instead of a wolf or bear or hawk, you have ferocity or strength or finesse.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm actually a fan of the 'ultimate survivalist' idea, as a barbarian always struck me as someone coming from a harsher way of life and adapting to a dog eat dog world through strength.

For implementing it, the barbarian could gain benefits when at a disadvantage, such as being outnumbered or below half their maximum hit points. Maybe the ability to sacrifice hit points for bonuses to physical activity-related checks and fighting actions? An effect that prolongs rage in exchange for gradual damage would tie it together nicely.

To add to that, basically useful abilities for traveling would help- larger carrying capacity, needing less sleep/can rest in medium armor without penalties, minor hp recovery after an encounter, morale bonuses when protecting or assisting 'tribe mates' with skill checks, bonuses to a selected skill, and so on. Something geared towards thriving in harsh conditions and adaptability.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I lik that approach, but I feel lik it is either too specific or too vague. It doesn't offer enough diversity, and I suspect it could be folding into a totem/ideal angle.

Possibly something sort of like the mantles from the scrapped paladin.

I'm also thinking that renaming the class, and especially Rage (to battle focus or something) might be in order to divorce the class from it's anger issues.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I too like the "ultimate survivalist" concept, but I'm not sure it can work as a fundament for a base class. It's more of a PrC concept.
    As for the "totemic barbarian" idea - broadening the totems/spirits/whatever we call them is probably a step in the right direction. It'd allow the barbarians to come from a wider variety of backgrounds. After all, it's perfectly possible for a city-born person to reject civilization and seek perfection in primitivity. Caution would be required to differentiate it from the druid's spirits. I'm thinking maybe the barbarian's totemic abilities would require material foci - he'd have to tie them to tatoos, fetishes, trophies, maybe weapons.
    Regarding the name, I don't think it's strictly necessary... but I suppose it could be helpful.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

So afroakuma and Fax were working on something that would have applied to both barbarians and rangers, but it got sideboarded for other tasks.

They were working on natures, which feels a lot like the direction we've been angling towards in giving the barbarian more variety.

Obviously, they're not finished, but what do you think? Could they be the answer to the barbarian's lack of variety?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I certainly think so. That's why we started developing them.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

I approve of the Natures concept, though I wonder how Barbarian and Ranger will be differentiated from each other when they use the same system. Maybe Barbarian's basic abilities are based on firepower and endurance, while the ranger is more evasive and supportive?
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Edited the wrong post...I'm afraid this one has now been lost.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2011-04-05 at 02:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Adding Natures is a step in the right direction, I think, but Rage still needs to be more varied. There should be rage variants offering different bonuses and penalties.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I've updated the class with a number of changes, which you can see in the "updates" section. I've incorporated the natures (at a lower level than the nature page indicates), reduced the number of intensified focuses, and eliminated the dead levels.

I made the nature gains at lower levels because I thought that since the barbarian is the main class that gets them, we don't want the Soul instincts to be so underused, only being available at 20th level.

With that, I think Singular Focus needs to be improved so it is a more respectable capstone.

Morty, I'm glad you like the natures. With the variants, are you thinking something like ACFs, or a built in variance to the focus? As it stands you can select an augment to shift the Str bonus to Dex, but I'm thinking of just making you choose Str or Dex when you gain your focus ability. I'd like to include at least one augment that is based off of Int and one off of Wis, so that all the stats are covered and no nature will feel ignored or have no synergies.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking in terms of ACFs like the one in Cityscape, yes. However, with Natures and Intensified Focus, I'm not sure if they're necessary. They were neat alternatives for the PHB Barbarian, but that class was a one-trick pony. Simply allowing the Barbarian to choose the ability that's augmented with his Focus when he gets the ability may be enough.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Given that it is now Focus instead of Rage, I don't think that would be out of flavor.

Since the barbarian is still a very physical class, I'm thinking that when they gain the focus ability, they choose either Strength or Dexterity, and from then on that is the stat that focus increases in addition to Constitution (it always boosts Con since that is what focus is based on).

The three mental attributes could receive some more love with intensified focus, giving all the natures decent support and really leaving a huge amount of variety for customizing your focus.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    The three mental attributes could receive some more love with intensified focus, giving all the natures decent support and really leaving a huge amount of variety for customizing your focus.
    Actually, I'd save that for a rage mage sort of PrC. You could, however, include a DC adjustment while focused for Nature powers.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Actually, I'd save that for a rage mage sort of PrC. You could, however, include a DC adjustment while focused for Nature powers.
    That came out a little more extreme than I intended. Basically I was just saying that I want to add a swift action ability that uses Int and one that uses Wis, joining the fear-inducing roar that uses Cha. So that all three mental attributes have some ability. Nothing more than that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Choosing Strength or Dexterity for the purposes of Focus definetly sounds good. Introducing Intensified Rage abilities using the mental stats is also a decent idea, as long as they're not too pronounced. Barbarian should remain a physical class. Either way, there's a lot more variety in the class now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah...I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with an Int based and Wis based ability that makes sense to function off of those attributes.

For Int...I'm thinking something tactical? Not sure it's there is a way for it to be an Int-based save, but maybe a bonus to the various combat maneuvers (trip, feint, etc)?

For Wis...I'm not sure...maybe some kind of insight or something?

And I agree that the barbarian should remain a primarily physical class, so I'm thinking that each mental attribute gets only one intensified focus ability. That way all the natures are reasonable and have some cross-ability support. On top of that, I'm thinking of making the Cha-based bellow only once per encounter instead of every round.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I'd see an Int-based focus abililty as someting either related to tactics or adaptability. I'm leaning towards the latter, since tactics and special manuevers are supposed to be the domain of Dreadnaughts and Warlords. I suppose a bonus to the DC of abilities provided by Natures could work, but I'm not sure if it would be balanced.
    For Wis, I'd choose something willpower-related. Perhaps an ability to even better shrug off mind-affecting effects.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

You're right, the tactical abilities are really more the purview of other classes, and we don't want to be stepping on their toes...or making it a nearly automatic dip. I like the adaptability idea...perhaps an immediate action to add Int to your AC or something?

The problem with the will-power related angle for Wisdom is..well, they're already going to be pretty impressive. They'll have the boost from being focused, presumably a solid Wisdom modifier, and eventually Indomitable Will. Wouldn't another ability just be...rather excessive? Though to be honest I kind of drawing a blank for what else it could be.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Another idea for an Int-based ability would be Int bonus against combat manuevers - this way, the barbarian wouldn't actually be very good at them, but it would be hard to get an upper hand on him. That said, adding Int to AC as an immediate action works as well.
    And I see your point regarding the willpower enchancement. If I were to come up with something else... perhaps a bonus to critical hits of some sort? Explained by a finely refined killer instinct or something in this vein.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I think those are both really solid ideas, and may be implemented. I was hoping to come up with two swift/immediate action abilities that required saves, as I feel that is more interesting than a plane numerical bonus. Of course, that will only happen if I can think of decent abilities!