New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Dork Knight: a Batman: Arkham Asylum Let's Play

The episode 5 link is faulty.

(You finished Batman in 7 episodes? I suspect they're extra long each then.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out. We're buying time to find a break in our schedules to play another game by releasing the fifteen minute episodes piece by piece every couple of days. I'll be up-dating the first post with the links as they come out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Watched the first episode now... don't appreciate you talking over the intro with random stuff. Can't hear anything from the game itself and can't read the subtitles due to youtube compression.

Not a strong start. >_>
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apologies, this is our first time with this kind of thing, it's good to hear ways we can suck less in future. Also:
    Episode 1.08: To the Batcave!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

This is surprisingly great. You guys have proper recording systems, interesting things to say and the radio faces to put it all out there in a calm, ordered yet relaxed manner.

For me, having already beaten the game twice, the talking is very much welcome as I have already seen the game itself. And boy, you guys deliver on the talking.
    Really good fun, so I'll just go ahead and subscribe! I look forward to more.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not bad, not bad at all. I like the commentary, keep up the good work.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I rather enjoyed this.
    "You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life."
    -Salvadore Dali

The screen's glow is hiding the mammon beast
    It's cauterized the senses that allowed us real life
    -Blackbird Raum

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

The ONE... The ONLY...
    EPISODE NINE! Episode 1.09: Batman, in the Library, with a Grappling Hook

Also, thank you for the kind words. Right now we're looking at Rainbow Six: Vegas as our next game. Anyone else have good ideas?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, a Fallout New Vegas LP would be interesting. Or perhaps, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Impression so far: The sound levels need to be normalized. Sudden music inserts here and there are loud. :/

(Also not sure how to feel about the intro in each video. It's easily skippable, but eats a minute every time. But then again, you're not fully using the (theoretical by now?) 15 min time limit anyway, so hm.)

That being said, there is merrit to your commentary. (even though i can't for the love of it hear or read what's going on ingame. Most of it is pretty self-explanatory though.)
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2011-04-18 at 01:34 AM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

And another:
    Episode 1.10: The Adventures of Young Bruce Wayne

Maxios: We have New Vegas and I'll bring it up again, but my counterpart is the one who's played it and he was... frustrated by the bugginess. Shattered Dimensions I'll also bring up. Thanks for the suggestions.

Domochevsky: The feedback is appreciated. I personally don't do the editing, but I'll pass that along!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright . Also, with the various updates for New Vegas, the bugginess is almost non-existent.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Hey, folks, Guildenstern here: second commentator and editor for these Let's Plays.

In regards to the feedback we've been receiving, much thanks for your support and advice. Though the Batman LP has since been completed, our future projects will try to improve upon our inaugural venture here by using some of your suggestions.

We've recently upgraded our video capture cables from composite RCA to S-video, and upgraded our editing suite to Adobe CS5, which combined should help give us crisper image quality and perhaps sort out that subtitle issue. It's not HD, but it's a step up from what we have now.

The title theme is just a fun little intro we thought we'd throw in to eat up an extra minute or so, simply because we need to cut the episodes at a natural break in the commentary and often those breaks don't come at precise 15 minute intervals (our fault for not timing our place session). So we usually end up cutting them between 12 and 14 minutes and throwing the intro in for a buffer. Though if general consensus is that it's too obnoxious at the start, we can move it to the end so that it's easy to skip for those who don't want to watch it every time.

And to Maxios: Fallout: New Vegas was actually our first trial run back in December. We only recorded one episode and I've long since deleted that particular abomination. While New Vegas is a wonderful RPG, we found it difficult to make an engaging LP for it simply because of the massive amounts of travel time and inventory management that the game necessitates. Our third commentator actually started up a game of Diablo halfway through our recording session. No joke. And of course the 14 console lock-ups I had during the course of my playthrough weren't exactly a barrel of laughs either.

We'll look into Shattered Dimensions, as it would definitely be interesting for the both of us to do a blind LP for a change. That, and everybody loves Spiderman.

Apologies for the length of the post, but I'm jumping in a bit late here and attempting to address everything that came before me.
    "Exactly how flammable is this ale?" - Boar, Dwarven Fighter, moments before his own demise.

The Dork Knight: A Let's Play of Batman Arkham Asylum

Exploits and Espionage: A Let's Play of Alpha Protocol

We're in it for the Money: A campaign log from the near-future of Planescape.

Stark Raving Sane, home to several Let's Plays, campaign logs, game reviews, and musings on nerd culture in general

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you have any plans to record/upload in actual 720p or higher? That would fix the subtitle issue and would make for a more enjoyable experience overall.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Believe me, we would love nothing more than to record videos in 720p...except to record in 1080p, of course. But until we rake together the cash for an HD PVR (easier said than done for a couple of college students) then we're pretty much stuck at what S-Video can give us. Though if you know of a decent HD alternative on the cheap then we'd love to take advantage of it.
    "Exactly how flammable is this ale?" - Boar, Dwarven Fighter, moments before his own demise.

Stark Raving Sane, home to several Let's Plays, campaign logs, game reviews, and musings on nerd culture in general

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

HD... are you doing the recording with straightup recording hardware from a console? Because on the PC there would be various (free) software solutions for that. (Maybe funnel the video signal with a video card into your PC and then record there.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Well we're running the A/V signal from the console to an external capture device and then into a computer via USB 2.0 where we record in pinnacle, since Premiere Pro doesn't support USB capture.

Thus far we haven't found a way to simply funnel that signal directly onto a PC, at least not without unacceptable amounts of lag given our somewhat outdated machines. Even most other products I've seen that take your component/hdmi signal and store it on your hard drive will downgrade to 480i first. So a dedicated HD capture device is really our best bet.

But as for now, you can see an example of what our upgraded video quality looks like here

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

The thrilling Conclusion!

Just kidding.
    Episode 1.11: Only the Good Die Young

20. - Top - End - #20

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Oh man I love that glitch in the fight at the warden's office!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I really think there's something about Let's Plays that bring out the most amusing bugs and glitches a game has to offer. I never experienced a single one of the hiccups we saw here in my previous runs of the game, but suddenly they crop up out of nowhere. So long as we don't get stuck in level geometry or crash the game entirely, I like to think it adds flavor. (Note to developers: that does not mean that it's okay to leave in a ton of obvious bugs just because we happen to chuckle at them every once in a while. I'm looking at you, Obsidian.)

Also, We're now officially halfway through the game. Woo!

Episode 1.12: Faaaaaanserviiiiiiice!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

23. - Top - End - #23

WolfInSheepsClothing

Great job so far. I'm not sure if I should laugh at your puns or smack you. Maybe both.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I vote you smack Guildenstern.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I'd argue, but I almost certainly deserve it.

Also, Episode 14

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

This episode actually has my favorite glitch from the entire playthrough: The amazing flying crazy-man.

27. - Top - End - #27

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

And Batman's aerial takedown looked so fluid and non-buggy, I love it! But I still prefer the Bat-Tele-Punch.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

For those of you that wanted more glitches, don't worry; we got you covered.

Episode 1.15 is here to help.

29. - Top - End - #29

Nice work, beating invisible enemies.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

We couldn't let anybody get away with stealing technology from other games; Batman insists that Otacon's active camouflage stays in Metal Gear Solid.

He also insists that we post Episode 1.16