New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default When you play the Game of Thrones...

You win or you die. There is no middle ground.

These immortal words are perfect to sum up the series, the first book of which is being made into a TV series.

Are you looking forward to the series?

Have you started reading the books again to prepare?

Are you looking forward to the next book?

I have made a blog to review the series and the media around it. If you want to drop by, the link is in my sig.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: When you play the Game of Thrones...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias_Tanavar View Post
    You win or you die. There is no middle ground.

These immortal words are perfect to sum up the series, the first book of which is being made into a TV series.

Are you looking forward to the series?

Have you started reading the books again to prepare?

Are you looking forward to the next book?

I have made a blog to review the series and the media around it. If you want to drop by, the link is in my sig.
    Actually, they're all being turned into a series, with each book being a season.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

I don't have HBO so I'm not going to watch. I like the brutal politics and warfare of the series but I don't like how it handles magic. Personally, I'd rather have no magic whatsoever and just stick with alternate middle-ages.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    I don't have HBO so I'm not going to watch. I like the brutal politics and warfare of the series but I don't like how it handles magic. Personally, I'd rather have no magic whatsoever and just stick with alternate middle-ages.
    The way the series deals with magic is actually one of the things I like best about it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

SO EXCITED LOSE ABILITY GRAMMAR SYNTAX yaaaaay
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Then perhaps the genre of fantasy isn't for you.

Historical fiction and whatnot might be a better fit.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I've reread a Game of Thrones, but I'm still working out how I'm going to watch it, not having HBO and all.

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Actually, they're all being turned into a series, with each book being a season.
    Actually, no, that's not confirmed yet, as there only will be more seasons if the first one is a success.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zmflavius View Post
    Well, I've reread a Game of Thrones, but I'm still working out how I'm going to watch it, not having HBO and all.

Actually, no, that's not confirmed yet, as there only will be more seasons if the first one is a success.
    That's been the working plan since the beginning. While it's true that it won't be continued if it's a flop, the intention has been to do the one book/per season model.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532?refCatId=14

The series will begin with the 1996 first book, "A Game of Thrones," and the intention is for each novel (they average 1,000 pages each) to fuel a season's worth of episodes. Martin has nearly finished the fifth installment, but won't complete the seven-book cycle until 2011.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Won't complete it until 2011? Is this another of those completion dates that mean about as much as a Frey promise, or has GRRM suddenly decided to write 50 pages a day?
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

That's been the working plan since the beginning. While it's true that it won't be continued if it's a flop, the intention has been to do the one book/per season model.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532?refCatId=14
    Ah, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Won't complete it until 2011? Is this another of those completion dates that mean about as much as a Frey promise, or has GRRM suddenly decided to write 50 pages a day?
    I think that the quote meant that it would not be anywhere near completion until after 2011.

edit: Also, I just checked the article; turns out that it dates to back from 2007, when HBO just acquired the rights.
    Last edited by Zmflavius; 2011-04-02 at 11:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, it's a little outdated. Of course all it means is that the idea is to create an entire series out of the books. You are right, however, that they're only going with the one season at the moment.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I was afraid of that. I've learned not to even come close to trusting SOIF completion dates. SoYeah...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have HBO, which is going to be remedied entirely because of and entirely for this. Now, if A Dance of Dragons would just come out already...
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I don't have HBO, which is going to be remedied entirely because of and entirely for this. Now, if A Dance of Dragons would just come out already...
    July 12th.

This date is official.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah, it's a little outdated. Of course all it means is that the idea is to create an entire series out of the books. You are right, however, that they're only going with the one season at the moment.
    They'll probably keep the series titled "A Game of Thrones" though, which I personally think is a better name for the series. "A Song of Ice and Fire" sounds like it could fit any generic swords and sorcery high-fantasy, "A Game of Thrones" describes the series much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

July 12th.

This date is official.
    [citation needed]

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    They'll probably keep the series titled "A Game of Thrones" though, which I personally think is a better name for the series. "A Song of Ice and Fire" sounds like it could fit any generic swords and sorcery high-fantasy, "A Game of Thrones" describes the series much better.
    Hmm, I see what you mean. Though the "Ice" in the title reminds me how awesome Jon and the Watch are.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

It might be nice if they kept the original titles in somewhere, unless "A Game of Thrones Season 2: A Clash of Kings" might sound a little clunky.

And if they rest half the cast for a season in "A Feast for Crows" then switch to the other half in "A Dance with Dragons", that could be awkward contractually etc. Unless, of course, they film and release both simultaneously...

(All of which is assuming the series will be good enough to care whether it gets that far).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    It might be nice if they kept the original titles in somewhere, unless "A Game of Thrones Season 2: A Clash of Kings" might sound a little clunky.

And if they rest half the cast for a season in "A Feast for Crows" then switch to the other half in "A Dance with Dragons", that could be awkward contractually etc. Unless, of course, they film and release both simultaneously...

(All of which is assuming the series will be good enough to care whether it gets that far).
    Those two books take place in the same timeframe, right? I remember reading that instead of Crows being one season and Dragons another, they'll just use those two seasons to cover all the content.

...Did I just say the same thing twice? I hope I didn't.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zmflavius View Post
    They're sure to release it on DVD at some point.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

[citation needed].
    http://grrm.livejournal.com/198534.html

Here you are. From G.R.R.M himself.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm trying to figure out how to watch this from Denmark without buying an american adress and IP adress and trying to find it on Netflix or so... Any ideas?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I think that the Song of Ice and Fire name is a setup for the bigger story. We got a hint of it in A Clash of Kings (I'm rereading the series now) but I think it has to do with the climax of the series.... whenever that may be.

Also I'm VERY stoked about this series... I really hope they're posted online though as, like many of you, I'm HBO-less
    Ceikatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer
    Homeschoolers pwn
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar
    Hey, whatja know.
    Homeschoolers do pwn.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    I think that the Song of Ice and Fire name is a setup for the bigger story. We got a hint of it in A Clash of Kings (I'm rereading the series now) but I think it has to do with the climax of the series.... whenever that may be.

Also I'm VERY stoked about this series... I really hope they're posted online though as, like many of you, I'm HBO-less
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, considering there are exactly two serious supernatural elements in the book - the dragons and the land north of the Wall - I'd say it's fairly obvious what's going to go down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I am very excited for the tv series and have my fingers crossed for a dance with dragons to not disappear into the lego void.

It might be worth calling your cable or satellite provider and see if they have any deals going on premium channels. Every now and then they might have free months or weekends you can grab up. Then use to see if the series is good enough for you to add that channel at least for the series run.

If you are out of North America or only use the internet for tv, not sure what to tell ya.
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, considering there are exactly two serious supernatural elements in the book - the dragons and the land north of the Wall - I'd say it's fairly obvious what's going to go down.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Derthric View Post
    I am very excited for the tv series and have my fingers crossed for a dance with dragons to not disappear into the lego void.
    Oh, no, not the LEGO VOID! What, is it going to be eaten by building blocks?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

July 12th.

This date is official.
    I'm well aware. Martin has also been denying delays more than ever. That said, we'll see if it actually meets the release date.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfClericGuy

Oh, no, not the LEGO VOID! What, is it going to be eaten by building blocks?
    The Lego Void is that place where the piece you need right now disappeared to even though you just had it in your hand. Its also where lost socks and the die that just fell off the table go. So its a bane of existence that sucks up needed things, like A Dance with Dragons.
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

28. - Top - End - #28

http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones...SVpgIAXbkXOA==

15 min preview of the premiere in 2 weeks. can't wait <<
    Cynan

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I'm well aware. Martin has also been denying delays more than ever. That said, we'll see if it actually meets the release date.
    Given that this was released by his publisher rather than by Martin or Amazon, and how he only has one and a half chapters left (or something like that), I'd say, yeah, he'll probably meet it.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cynan Machae View Post
    http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones...SVpgIAXbkXOA==

15 min preview of the premiere in 2 weeks. can't wait <<
    I think I just had a Grimdarkgasm. Is that even a word?

Well, it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.