New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: When you play the Game of Thrones...

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm sorry, but could you explain what part of shark-dragon isn't awesome, exactly?
    It's not really a proper description, of the egg at least. Shark scales aren't really smooth, judging by the picture, while the eggs are.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

I was dissappointed by the eggs, as well. Admittedly, my brain seems to have missed the scaled description from the book and so I imagined them as very fancy, colorful bits of egg-shaped marble. That said, in a visual medium like TV, a newcomer would have no trouble understanding that 'yep, that's a dragon's egg' without a whole lot of exposition or reminders. For that reason I can't fault them for designing the eggs that way.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I'm sorry, but could you explain what part of shark-dragon isn't awesome, exactly?
    I think you'd like Arduin's Air Sharks. Flying sharks filled with hydrogen gas.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was disappointed they didn't include Littlefinger's full line about why he chooses brothels over ships. If they were going to say "Brothels seldom sink" they should have added "And when they're boarded by pirates, why, they pay good coin just like everyone else"*.

*Close paraphrase
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Let's face it, modern fashion sense says anything on the head looks silly. Doesn't mean the helmets are out of place.
    Fezzes are cool.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Fezzes are cool.
    He wears a Stetson now. Stetsons are cool.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zocelot View Post
    I was disappointed they didn't include Littlefinger's full line about why he chooses brothels over ships. If they were going to say "Brothels seldom sink" they should have added "And when they're boarded by pirates, why, they pay good coin just like everyone else"*.

*Close paraphrase
    I agree. There's a lot of random stuff like that where they put in half a line and there's no real clear reason why they cut out the second half of it, given it would only add a few seconds of screen time, if any. Those are the major things that bug me. Scenes that get added/removed/redone I don't have a problem with, as there's generally a good reason, but fun little quips like that where they're already including the first half... skipping the second half doesn't really contribute anything as far as I can tell.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Reading 'A Storm of Swords' for the first time, because I am Slowpoke

(Massive Spoiler, or at least it would've been to me a couple minutes ago )

Spoiler
    Show
    ROBB!?!?!?!

Killing Eddard, I understood. It was the sort of thing that shaped Robb into the king he was. Is. Should be. I don't even know, I feel so depressed now

One of the few things keeping my going through this series was my love of Robb's arc and the way that he conducts himself throughout. Now there's no character left that I truly care for. Jon, in a way, but the Nights Watch and Wildlings could be entirely removed from the books and I wouldn't care.

I guess it's just my knee-jerk reaction to the killing of my favourite character, but I'm legitimately unsure as to how I'll make it through the rest of this series now.

I can't believe they killed my king
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

9. - Top - End - #519
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, we all go through that. Just remember:

Spoiler
    Show
    The bad guys always win in the middle. And the beginning. And I really don't know how this is gonna end, so I hope somebody good wins but it's hard to call anybody a good guy and I'm rooting for Jaime now and really, if The Late Lord Fray's entire family could be wipes out, with Fray himself left to rot, I'd be happy, and oh God, The Young Wolf is dead.

As I said. We all go through it.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The villains can have their middle and end, but GODS I needed something heroic to cling onto.

Robb wasn't even a PoV character, it was almost as delightful as the nameless mooks in Goblins forming their own adventuring party. The way he ran his kingdom moved in circles outside the central cast and made the world seem so much more alive.

Now? Gah.

House Targaryen, if I can even make it to the end of this book. I pray that she scours the whole continent with dragonflame before she gets dragged down by the cruelty of this setting.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The villains can have their middle and end, but GODS I needed something heroic to cling onto.

Robb wasn't even a PoV character, it was almost as delightful as the nameless mooks in Goblins forming their own adventuring party. The way he ran his kingdom moved in circles outside the central cast and made the world seem so much more alive.

Now? Gah.

House Targaryen, if I can even make it to the end of this book. I pray that she scours the whole continent with dragonflame before she gets dragged down by the cruelty of this setting.

Wow. Haven't seen too many people that invested in the storyline, even at this point in it.

Don't worry, things are changing. Winter is Coming.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Reading 'A Storm of Swords' for the first time, because I am Slowpoke

(Massive Spoiler, or at least it would've been to me a couple minutes ago )

Spoiler
    Show
    ROBB!?!?!?!

Killing Eddard, I understood. It was the sort of thing that shaped Robb into the king he was. Is. Should be. I don't even know, I feel so depressed now

One of the few things keeping my going through this series was my love of Robb's arc and the way that he conducts himself throughout. Now there's no character left that I truly care for. Jon, in a way, but the Nights Watch and Wildlings could be entirely removed from the books and I wouldn't care.

I guess it's just my knee-jerk reaction to the killing of my favourite character, but I'm legitimately unsure as to how I'll make it through the rest of this series now.

I can't believe they killed my king
    Heh heh. This brings back memories. I see you found my favorite chapter in the book.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Wow. Haven't seen too many people that invested in the storyline, even at this point in it.

Don't worry, things are changing. Winter is Coming.
    It doesn't help that my lifes been effectively empty for the last few months as I sit between school, work and moving to another state. So I've read my way through this series to pass the time.

I'm not sure whether or not I regret it, to be honest.
    Last edited by Klose_the_Sith; 2011-05-23 at 11:21 AM.

14. - Top - End - #524

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah yes, the so called "Red Wedding". It's like a rite of initiation. Once you've past that point in the book there is no turning back to the doe-eyed fantasy stories we knew as children. We're men (and women) now and winter is coming.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

It doesn't help that my lifes been effectively empty for the last few months as I sit between school, work and moving to another state. So I've read my way through this series to pass the time.

I'm not sure whether or not I regret it, to be honest.
    Can't help you with real life, man. Mine's just as much a mess.

As for the chapter in question . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    Worry not, revenge is not forgotten.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Orc in the Playground

Ahahaha! Indeed not.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Tyrion's confession was priceless, the duel was well done, the Vaes Dothrak scenes were pretty much as I imagined them, almost made me pity the jerk, plus Drogo finally acts.

Book spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    I love how it ends in a "things might be alright after all" mood, when actually things are just barely starting to suck for the Starks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

18. - Top - End - #528

I've always sympathized with Viserys, and this episode was also mostly sympathetic. He is basically bullied by the Dothraki starting day one, they never give him what they promised him, and even his own sister which was the only thing he had power over turns against him. Then,

Spoiler
    Show
    All of this culminates in his brutal death. I mean, his character was annoying, rude and mean, but I don't think for a second that he had it coming
    Last edited by Zocelot; 2011-05-23 at 01:55 PM.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

I've always sympathized with Viserys, and this episode was also mostly sympathetic. He is basically bullied by the Dothraki starting day one, they never give him what they promised him, and even his own sister which was the only thing he had power over turns against him. Then,

Spoiler
    Show
    All of this culminates in his brutal death. I mean, his character was annoying, rude and mean, but I don't think for a second that he had it coming
    Yeah, it's brutal and nasty, but let's face it:

1) He deserved it.

2) He never did anything to endeer himself to the people who held his life and future in their hands. Hell, he alienated certain people who were actually willing and eager to help him at first.

Viserys is a jerk.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hahahahah, oh man that was---

Wait. Are you serious?

Spoiler
    Show
    He was an abusive arse, who most important of all was one of the largest incompetent idiots in the series.
    Personally I love it when something a jerk thinks he has power over turns against him. If Viserys didn't abuse Daeny, didn't try to attack because someone told him what to do, and didn't spit on every costume of his hosts maybe I'd pity him. As he is he's far too cruel and far too stupid for me to feel anything but mirth at his hilarious demise.

21. - Top - End - #531

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mathis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah yes, the so called "Red Wedding". It's like a rite of initiation. Once you've past that point in the book there is no turning back to the doe-eyed fantasy stories we knew as children. We're men (and women) now and winter is coming.
    Yes, there is. Not every fantasy universe has to be Martin's.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    Yes, there is. Not every fantasy universe has to be Martin's.
    No, but Martin's universe certainly colors your perception of others in a number of ways.

23. - Top - End - #533

ClericGirl

No, but Martin's universe certainly colors your perception of others in a number of ways.
    For me, it mainly seems to apply to (spoilered just in case; I'm not watching the show and don't know how newbs should be judging the general tone yet)
    Spoiler
    Show
    the whole screwed-over peasant thing. Destroying the crops of lands you intend to subjugate makes no damn sense when winter is probably going to last a decade, but in most universes, it should probably present a thornier issue than it does. On a lighter note: "Huh, she's betrothed to one man but loves another. [Or insert anything whatsoever about love and/or marriage, really.] As this isn't George R.R. Martin, I can expect that it won't end in the deaths of thousands. Yay for fantasy with hope in it!"
    Last edited by DomaDoma; 2011-05-23 at 02:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

For me, it mainly seems to apply to (spoilered just in case; I'm not watching the show and don't know how newbs should be judging the general tone yet)
    Spoiler
    Show
    the whole screwed-over peasant thing. Destroying the crops of lands you intend to subjugate makes no damn sense when winter is probably going to last a decade, but in most universes, it should probably present a thornier issue than it does. On a lighter note: "Huh, she's betrothed to one man but loves another. [Or insert anything whatsoever about love and/or marriage, really.] As this isn't George R.R. Martin, I can expect that it won't end in the deaths of thousands. Yay for fantasy with hope in it!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the "scorched earth" issues are actually a recurring theme in the novels, just not an overt and anvil type one. It's seen mostly in the contrast, I suppose, between Dany's method and the Lannister method (or, at least, the early Lannister method in the Riverlands). It does present a great many thorny issues, but it's really not until the 4th book that we've truly been brought down far enough (on a narrative sense that is) to actually get a proper perspective on the peasants' point of view. For the most part, until we get Brienne walking through the Riverlands and experiencing first hand what happens to the peasants, we're focused almost entirely at a macro level with the nobility who, despite a bit of hardship in certain places, are in a position to survive it with aplumb.

And there's hope in the books. Just not "somebody pure and magical will come along and make everything all better" kind of hope. Life continues, families push on, people make do with changing situations. Plus, the greatest hope spot is really too far in the future to get a good bead on: the arrival of Dany in Westeros, presumably to take her throne and re-establish a strong order.

I think people tend to over-represent the darker aspects of the novels.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Tyrion's confession was priceless, the duel was well done, the Vaes Dothrak scenes were pretty much as I imagined them, almost made me pity the jerk, plus Drogo finally acts.

Book spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    I love how it ends in a "things might be alright after all" mood, when actually things are just barely starting to suck for the Starks
    If he didn't have a habit of sexually abusing his sister, I might have agreed to an extent.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, the "scorched earth" issues are actually a recurring theme in the novels, just not an overt and anvil type one. It's seen mostly in the contrast, I suppose, between Dany's method and the Lannister method (or, at least, the early Lannister method in the Riverlands). It does present a great many thorny issues, but it's really not until the 4th book that we've truly been brought down far enough (on a narrative sense that is) to actually get a proper perspective on the peasants' point of view. For the most part, until we get Brienne walking through the Riverlands and experiencing first hand what happens to the peasants, we're focused almost entirely at a macro level with the nobility who, despite a bit of hardship in certain places, are in a position to survive it with aplumb.

And there's hope in the books. Just not "somebody pure and magical will come along and make everything all better" kind of hope. Life continues, families push on, people make do with changing situations. Plus, the greatest hope spot is really too far in the future to get a good bead on: the arrival of Dany in Westeros, presumably to take her throne and re-establish a strong order.

Spoiler
    Show

You can't blame them, really, since those same darker aspects are what's constantly highlighted and emphasized as positive traits of the series compared to lighter, softer, and (implied) inferior settings. AGoT rose to fame on the point that it's horrible to everyone involved.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

You can't blame them, really, since those same darker aspects are what's constantly highlighted and emphasized as positive traits of the series compared to lighter, softer, and (implied) inferior settings. AGoT rose to fame on the point that it's horrible to everyone involved.
    Good point, I suppose.

Though I've always been a fan more of the characters and realism than any "grimdark" aspects.

And the fact that magic is subtle, quiet, and in the background for the most part.

28. - Top - End - #538

ClericGirl

Spoiler
    Show

I think you've been reading too much Limyaael, Hamish, if that's how you think most fantasy represents the concept.

Actually, I'm still into this series primarily because
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've got the kind of foolhardy hopes that mean my abs are never properly tensed for Martin's gut punches. I hope that Dany gets a handle on both the ruling thing and the dragon thing, Tyrion by her side. I hope that Jon, Stannis and the children of the forest, why not, team up against Melisandre. I hope that all the lords of the East catch Littlefinger coming on to his bastard daughter, preferably because Alayne arranged it. I hope that there's some kind of good-aligned religion that has power other than giving psychic dreams to a bitter paraplegic boy who can't grasp a metaphor.

Honestly, though, if the world is actually a better place by the time this story is over, I'll be astounded, and a lot of the other fans will feel cheated of their cynical setting.

In my book, we had enough of an idea of the starvation, rape and slaughter of the smallfolk (particularly in book two) that we didn't really need to spend chapter after chapter of a character running into one such situation after another - at least, not given that we knew for a fact she had no chance of finding either Stark daughter.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you've been reading too much Limyaael, Hamish, if that's how you think most fantasy represents the concept.
    Never read Limyaael. Never even heard of it.

Actually, despite the fact that I love the genre, I have to say I'm beginning to loathe most other Fantasy simply because . . . I don't know . . . it bothers the hell out of me how naieve and repetetive it is. Can't tell you how much I despise dark lords on dark thrones and artifacts of doom and all that baloney. I keep buying fantasy series, thinking this has to get better, and actually end up throwing more than half of them out simply because it seems like most of them can't actually craft a decent story, or at least without descending into hamfisted moralizing and long tracts.

In that light, Martin is a breath of damnably fresh air.

Actually, I'm still into this series primarily because
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've got the kind of foolhardy hopes that mean my abs are never properly tensed for Martin's gut punches. I hope that Dany gets a handle on both the ruling thing and the dragon thing, Tyrion by her side. I hope that Jon, Stannis and the children of the forest, why not, team up against Melisandre. I hope that all the lords of the East catch Littlefinger coming on to his bastard daughter, preferably because Alayne arranged it. I hope that there's some kind of good-aligned religion that has power other than giving psychic dreams to a bitter paraplegic boy who can't grasp a metaphor.

Honestly, though, if the world is actually a better place by the time this story is over, I'll be astounded, and a lot of the other fans will feel cheated of their cynical setting.

In my book, we had enough of an idea of the starvation, rape and slaughter of the smallfolk (particularly in book two) that we didn't really need to spend chapter after chapter of a character running into one such situation after another - at least, not given that we knew for a fact she had no chance of finding either Stark daughter.
    Hey, I hope most of those things too. I'm just not so beholden to them that my enjoyment of the series is tied up in whether or not there's a "happy ending."

30. - Top - End - #540
    Colossus in the Playground

There's plenty of fantasy without dark lords. Try some Brandon Sanderson, or Robin Hobb, maybe?

And, I'm probably very jaded, but I don't see the incredible grimdarkness everyone seems to see in this series. Sure, there's some of it. There's dark stuff, violence and sadism. But I don't think it's the overwhelming amounts of it that everyone else claims there are. I find it quite moderate, really. And when it happens, it actually makes sense, most of the time.

Also, did we just have an entire episode without sex scenes?
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-05-23 at 04:11 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist