New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: When you play the Game of Thrones...

Sam Tarly is Jon Snow's father.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Cersei has a change of heart and rules wisely forever.
    Now you're just being ridiculous.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.

Wait... What? It has to be from Game of Thrones? Fine...

King Robert is Drogo's father.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lyanna Stark is Jon Snow's father.

ironically his mother is Cat Stark
    Last edited by Closet_Skeleton; 2011-05-25 at 07:09 PM.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

Rickard Stark (Ned's father) is Cersei/Jaimie's father. Tywin's suspicions that this is true are the basis for his dislike of the Stark family, his crappy fathering skills and his hatred of his one trueborn son.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

6. - Top - End - #666

Aerys is Tyrion's father.

Tywin is Drogo's father.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Waymar Royce is everyone's father.
    ithilanor on Steam.

8. - Top - End - #668

Jon is Robert's father.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Jon Snow is his own mother.

But not his father.
    Last edited by VanBuren; 2011-05-25 at 07:37 PM.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gregor Clegane is just Tyrion in a robot suit of his own design.

You learn this shortly after you learn that Tyrion perfected the art of telportation long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #671
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Jon Snow is his own father. And mother. And fighting instructor. But where did all the other zombies come from?

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Dolorous Edd is Jon's father.
    ithilanor on Steam.

13. - Top - End - #673

Patchface is Shireen's father.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

By the way, why are people attributing "White Walkers" to the show? The book uses the term as well.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    _______ is ________'s Father!

Now, let's have a Mad Libs style competition to find the best fill-ins.

Maester Aemon is Mance Rayder's father.

Jorah Mormont is Strong Belwas's father.

Craster is Lord Frey's father.

Lord Frey is Craster's father.

Roose Bolton is Vargo Hoat's father.

Shaggydog is Daenerys's father.

The three-eyed crow is Bronn's father.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #676

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    By the way, why are people attributing "White Walkers" to the show? The book uses the term as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The book uses the term once or twice, usually referring to them as Others. The show always refers to them as white walkers. I can understand why, "Others" would be a strange thing on screen where you don't get that capital O, while White Walkers is much more distinct, but it is a diversion of the show relative to the books

17. - Top - End - #677

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Maester Aemon is Mance Rayder's father.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This would make Mance Rayder a Targaryen bastard... I like it. That is my new personal cannon. Mance shall rise again as not just King of the North, but King of the 7 Kingdoms!

18. - Top - End - #678
    Bugbear in the Playground

Strong Belwas is Walder Frey's father
    Hodor is Thoros of Myr's father
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

Varys is Qhorin Half Hands farther. Varys gets around.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to be a buzzkill, but can we get back to discussing the show rather than playing Mad Libs?

Spoiler
    Show
    I have to join the chorus of those who find the Eyrie somewhat disappointing. There's too much wrong there - no sign of the Blackfish, nothing to really stress how impregnable the place is and how difficult the ascent, and the door being in the floor all just add up to make it disappointing. I'm not even particularly bothered about how the sky cells are larger and less slanted than I expected, but that's one more thing to add to the list.

That said, everything else there went nicely. Bronn's duel was awesome, though he (like everyone else) seems older than I expected. I also feel like they haven't really explained anything about who he is. I honestly couldn't pick him out from anybody else in that room before he spoke up. Hopefully we'll get a better intro to him soon, now that he has attached himself to Tyrion.

The scene between Jaime and his father was interesting, and done well enough that it almost had me fooled into thinking I had forgotten that part of the book. Although the symbolism of Tywin carving up a stag is very nice, I still can't shake the feeling that getting his hands dirty like that is very out of character for him. Not that big a deal overall, but it seemed strange to me.

Am I the only one practically salivating in anticipation of Syrio's big moment in the near future?

21. - Top - End - #681
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Am I the only one practically salivating in anticipation of Syrio's big moment in the near future?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The one where he presumably is going to die? Well...I do like him around, no matter how badass that scene is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've not seen it yet, but I assumed that the added scene between Tywin and Jamie was meant to impart Tywin's ruthlessness and "villain status" as clearly as possible to the audience, and to retain the deer gutting scene that, for some reason, was excised from Sam Tarley's story at the Wall.

Can't say if it's good or bad, but the actor certainly looks the part . . .
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I know it might seem to be incredibly nitpicky, but I was expecting Tywin to be bald, not balding. It's actually fairly important, because deciding to shave his head when he started balding because he doesn't do half measures is one of the first insights we get into his personality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The book uses the term once or twice, usually referring to them as Others. The show always refers to them as white walkers. I can understand why, "Others" would be a strange thing on screen where you don't get that capital O, while White Walkers is much more distinct, but it is a diversion of the show relative to the books
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the other objection to Others would be Lost. Even though Lost is (mercifully) over, it would be distracting if everyone in the north was living in fear of attacks from the Others.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the other objection to Others would be Lost. Even though Lost is (mercifully) over, it would be distracting if everyone in the north was living in fear of attacks from the Others.
    From looking into it, apparently "White Walkers" is the wildling term.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Barbarian in the Playground

Since I haven't yet said anything in this thread, so I figure I'll finally weigh in with my thoughts. I truly have enjoyed this show so far, and it brought me around to reading the rest of the book series, just so that I can look forward to what I'm going to see.

Before I say anything further, I need to come clean about where I'm coming from with regard to the book series. I really really disliked GRRM's writing when I first read it, still do. Lest people think I'm trolling, here's a defense I previously wrote on just that subject, trying to justify my opinions, which I freely admit is what they are (spoilered for length, and very minor later book/season spoilers):
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) His pacing is ATROCIOUS. Each of his books drags out far longer than they need to in order to convey the same plot. Individual scenes drag on at a snail's pace, bogged down by tedious internal monologue that often does little to build on the characters he's already created. How many scenes do we really need with Jaime spending a paragraph chafing at being referred to as "Kingslayer"?

2) His writing is predictable. I think that with the possible exception of two or three events (over the course of four books), every one of the "twists" that happen every so often was predicted long before it actually happened. For example, there's a key scene in the third book, when Daenerys wants to purchase something, but doesn't have adequate money and does something "unexpected". I put the book down, stated what was going to happen, resumed reading, and whenever the next chapter with her came around, it happened precisely as I had said. Even the Red Wedding wasn't a surprise. Maybe I've just become inured to these sorts of things.

3) Most of the characters are surprisingly static or have developed in ways that make me not want to bother reading their chapters. In what ways has Arya developed over time? She's a character that's got excellent potential to be interesting, but he seems to have spent 3 books just being the victim of circumstance (in the fourth she doesn't really do anything). Something very similar could be said of Sansa, but she actually has some slight development in the third and fourth books. While I have come to enjoy Jaime's chapters (wangst aside), Cersei's have become a chore to get through. I fail to see how any of the kings changed as characters over time, each constantly governed by a single set of immovable characteristics: Robert is a drunken boor, Joffery is a spiteful prick, Stannis is stern and adheres to the rules, Robb is capable but inexperienced. They're secondary characters, yes, but their importance really means they ought to have had more development (with the allowable exception of Robb).

4) His use of pseudo-medieval language is not only inconsistent, but comes across to me as poorly done. It doesn't really serve to keep the setting particularly immersive, but makes it seems like he's trying quite hard and failing to do so. I see this a serious literary failing on his part.

5) This is probably the most petty of my complaints, but there's something about his writing style that drives me crazy, aside from the phrasing. I think that the editor really should have stepped in at some point and slashed the hell out of his descriptions of every rock, tree, sword, and tertiary character that we'll never see again (and maybe hear about once more). Each and every thing has a paragraph of description behind it, as if he's afraid that we might imagine something in his world incorrectly, so he tells us exactly how he wants it to be. Some of this is fine, and required, but the level and frequency of description really goes far beyond that point.

However, given that I've likely given people plenty of ground to disagree, here are some nice things that I'll say about GRRM to perhaps soften some of the potential rage:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) When I say that I think he's not a great writer that doesn't mean I think he can't tell a good story, or else nothing good could come out of his work and this TV show wouldn't exist. I enjoy the meta-plot that GRRM is going after, as it's quite an interesting story with some truly unique details. It's unfortunate that those unique bits are shunted to the side as often as they are.

2) He does know how to write some good characters. Best character: Tyrion, a bright spot every time we come across him, always awesome. He develops and changes over time, and does so in a way that the audience's opinion of him is likely to shift along the way. Cersei is similar, but not in an enjoyable fashion. But yeah, real credit for the Tyrion chapters.

3) The man knows how to build a world. I complain about his description of everything imaginable, as well as his tendency to describe events in history, no matter how tangentially related to the plot (hint: in every case it's him foreshadowing, *wink wink*), but that means that his world is incredibly well-fleshed out in a way that few authors since Tolkien have even attempted to do. I like that feeling of a full backstory, but I don't care for it being shoved in my face so often so that he can prove that's what he's doing.

This show, on the other hand, does a number of things so very right that I can't help but love it much more than I did the books.

First and foremost, the transition to a visual medium did WONDERS for the pacing. Gone are the tedious and and unnecessary descriptions of trivial objects (I swear if I had a dollar for each use of "lobstered", I'd have enough to pay rent) or people, they are shown and that's done. Tolkein himself would have cried for mercy at the original, but that complaint becomes an absolute non-issue. The scenes they've chosen to cut and to create are expertly chosen and do the best job possible of advancing the story in a timely manner. The scene between just Robert and Cersei (in 5?) was really the best example of this.

Second, aging the characters by several years solves one of my gripes with the original story: children acting much older than they should, even in a time/place when they're expected to grow up faster. I understand that part of the overall point was that children become adults quicker when they are forced and expected to, even more so when the world is as rough as it is there. However, aging all the children by 2-3 years solves much of the unbelievability, while keeping most of the message intact. I think the biggest beneficiary has been Daenerys, though moving her to a less of a jail-bait age was clearly on their minds.

Third, since one of my big gripes was about how easy it was to see what was coming in the books, I'm surprised at how much less that's the case here. They're doing a much better job of leading me to believe things can go more than one way. This is almost about to be covered by the show, but still:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To me, I read Ned and Robert as doomed characters from the very beginning. From their first scenes I knew both of them were going to die before the book was through. Ned surprisingly made it as far as about the 3/4 mark. This was particularly unfortunate, since Ned turned out to be a more interesting character than I first thought. Either way, in both cases, I knew early on not to become really invested in either one of them since they were so very clearly not going to make it.
    But that's not an issue in the series, since they did a much better job of not broadcasting "This person is doomed" messages on all channels.

Finally, I can't rave about their casting choices enough. Almost each and every member of the cast are picture perfect for their roles. Particular standouts are Ned (after accounting for the universal aging), Robert, and TYRION. Now when I think of those characters, there's no one else I can put in those roles. Someone said on Twitter recently that they should just save time and give Peter Dinklage the Emmy, and I agree. He's that good. Even characters with few lines and secondary characters are well-chosen: Khal Drogo (who makes me excited for Conan), Tywin Lannister (his previous Lord Vetinari experience can't hurt), and Bronn (the rogue was instantly likable, just from the first few moments he was shown/talked). The people making this show really get what it takes to make a show work, but nowhere is it more apparent than here.

I look forward to each new episode.

Edit: Most of this was copied from a post I'd written on another site, and had been done around the third episode. I've tried to correct the things that made that apparent (mostly tenses). Also added the point about predictability being cut down.
    Last edited by Sinfonian; 2011-05-27 at 12:43 AM.
    Fair warning: I edit my posts fairly continuously, sometimes adding substantial amounts in the period immediately after I post originally. I blame grad school instilling a constant need to revise.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

FWIW, Martin agrees with you about the character ages. He's gone on the record saying that if he could go back and change that he would. I'm pretty sure he was pushing that in the show.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

I didn't predict a lot of the third book, myself, but then I also spectacularly failed to predict chapter thirty-three of Deathly Hallows, so there you go.

Spoiler
    Show
    And it's quite possible I only predicted the Red Wedding because I knew it was called the Red Wedding - but I really hope the prophetic old crone Arya (?) runs into would have tipped me off.

Anyway, I mostly love his writing style, but I have to agree with you about there being too many characters. At this point, I really couldn't care less how that half-wit minor noblewoman is doing.
    Last edited by DomaDoma; 2011-05-27 at 01:39 PM.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Orc in the Playground

Honestly, I feel the same way about Lord of the Rings as you do about A Song of Ice and Fire, Sinfonian.

The books dragged on and on endlessly, and I really didn't care by the end. The movies, though, were fun! I quite enjoyed watching them.

@DomaDoma: But I love all those extraneous characters! It really does make the world feel alive, when there are just so many people in it.

And the best thing? So often those minor characters become important later. Who would have guessed in book 1 that Barristan was going to get a POV in book 5? Or that Theon, who was even more minor than Jory, would get a POV in book 2?

Or that Renly, whose first appearance was all about laughing at Joff and his whole "Lion's Tooth" sword, would end up important? Or that Brienne would become a viewpoint character? Sam was less of a surprise. I didn't guess the Blackfish would stay a relevant character. I certainly wouldn't have guessed Beric Dondarrion's role!

Seriously, everyone has an entire suite of secondary characters around them, and they swap around at times. It's nice.

Reading the books a second time, with everyone's future roles in my head, they become much sharper in my mind when I see them the first time. They stood out a bit more, because I actually knew all of them, and this time had an image of them in my head.

Oh, one other thing:

I'm betting Petyr will be the BBEG of the series. If there's any Big Bad, he's it.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Colossus in the Playground

Of course Renly would become important. He's the king's brother, in a book about royal succession.
    Resident Vancian Apologist