New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: When you play the Game of Thrones...

Quote Originally Posted by Mauther View Post
    One bit that I am unclear on involving Tywin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does he support Jaime and Cersei's relationship. In the books I don't believe it speaks to it, but it seemed like the show was saying it was part of his plan. That seems very short sighted and awful risky for Tywin's style.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Juding by what's said in the second and thrid books he doesn't actually know about it and believes that Joffrey is Robert's son.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

Tywin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always thought he would have killed Cersei if he ever learned of her jeopardizing the house in such a way. Jaime he would have let live, but only cause he still needs an heir.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #843
    Orc in the Playground

re: Tywin. Ya'll seem to reading the books the same way I am. Do you feel the TV presents it any differently?

4. - Top - End - #844
    Orc in the Playground

On the Bolton POV:

"We broke for dinner. First up was a fresh pair of oysters adorned with a Asshai ginger relish, followed by the entrée (a tomato-sardine tartelette for me and a pork carpaccio with a creamy anchovy-lemon sauce for Ramsay). For our main courses, we tried the lamb with a delicate mint and coconut sauce, and a joue de boeuf in broth with winter vegetables. Both were well cooked, unpretentiously presented, and quickly devoured."

That is so Martin, right there. Seriously, the only author I can think of who talks about food as much as Martin is Nasu.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Re: Tywin

As someone who hasn't read the books, from what little we've seen of him, I was also under the impression that he didn't know. Hes only been in one scene, but the entire thing screamed at me that "This is a man willing to do whatever it takes to reach his goals. This is a man willing to get his hands dirty. This is a man who will not tolerate someone intentionally jeopardizing his plans. I do not know if he is a man who would give someone who has failed a second chance, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to find out firsthand."

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    On the Bolton POV:

"We broke for dinner. First up was a fresh pair of oysters adorned with a Asshai ginger relish, followed by the entrée (a tomato-sardine tartelette for me and a pork carpaccio with a creamy anchovy-lemon sauce for Ramsay). For our main courses, we tried the lamb with a delicate mint and coconut sauce, and a joue de boeuf in broth with winter vegetables. Both were well cooked, unpretentiously presented, and quickly devoured."

That is so Martin, right there. Seriously, the only author I can think of who talks about food as much as Martin is Nasu.
    Maybe its cause I grew up reading Redwall but I never really noticed Martin spending an excess of time on food.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    Tywin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always thought he would have killed Cersei if he ever learned of her jeopardizing the house in such a way. Jaime he would have let live, but only cause he still needs an heir.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kill her? Nah, you can't have any use from a corpse, especially not from his own house. That could be taken as a sign of weakness and possibly disrupt the potential links to the throne.

She would be taught a lesson though, and you should fear Tywin's lessons.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

As for Jaime and Cersei
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always thought from the books that the Jaime and Cersei thing was mostly something everyone thought was simply something that didn't happen so never looked for anything more to be there. I think its possible Tywin might at least suspect, but I think he believes his children wouldn't be that stupid. I think its more of a willful ignorance of the possibility then it is that he knows for sure or doesn't suspect anything.
    I think Tyrion is probably one of the only ones to know for sure

9. - Top - End - #849
    Troll in the Playground

For those hoping for a Bolton POV chapter in Book 6 I've posted the teaser Bolton POV that was released a while ago. Like all of the POVs so far it doesn't give away much detail about the plot, but does subtly emphasize the most dominate traits of the POV source:

Spoiler
    Show
    kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat.

We broke for dinner. First up was a fresh pair of oysters adorned with a Asshai ginger relish, followed by the entrée (a tomato-sardine tartelette for me and a pork carpaccio with a creamy anchovy-lemon sauce for Ramsay). For our main courses, we tried the lamb with a delicate mint and coconut sauce, and a joue de boeuf in broth with winter vegetables. Both were well cooked, unpretentiously presented, and quickly devoured.

kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat kill rape burn maime flay torture eat.
    Hahahahahahaha, it's funny 'cause it's true!

Maybe its cause I grew up reading Redwall but I never really noticed Martin spending an excess of time on food.
    When you grow up reading Redwall, you could read a cookbook and not notice it spending an excess of time on food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Firbolg in the Playground

I never read redwall and still never noticed an extraordinary amount of time spent on food. I think my eyes just automatically glaze over whenever it comes up, quite an interesting phenomenon.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #851
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I always saw it as an elephant in the room. I would think that all of the movers and shakers in the story do know that Jaime and Cersei were going at it, but either apathy or allegience held them silent.

No one told Robert because everyone in place to do so had reason not to: Pycelle is Cersei's minion. Littlefinger would gain nothing from it and pissing off the man that he owes millions to wouldn't be smart. Varys kept it secret until there'd be a good place to use it (probably some time before Drogo tried to invade, to further split the great houses and allow the Targs to dominate). Stannis knew, but everyone hates Stannis, so...

I don't think Tywin knew it had gone that far. His wife knew that the two of them had experimented, and Tywin probably knew about that, but just dismissed it as childish curiosity. Or, he was simply ignoring it, much like how Cersei completely ignores that her oldest son was a complete sociopath that might've sexually abused her other children.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    When you grow up reading Redwall, you could read a cookbook and not notice it spending an excess of time on food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Hahahahahahaha, it's funny 'cause it's true!
    I think I'm clever.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

I think I'm clever.
    Well, I think I'm clever, too, though not as obviously right now. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    I never read redwall and still never noticed an extraordinary amount of time spent on food. I think my eyes just automatically glaze over whenever it comes up, quite an interesting phenomenon.
    Off the top of my head, check both weddings and the feast for King Robert at Winterfell. I seem to recall all of those spending quite a bit of time on it. Oh, as well as his near inability to describe the Dothraki in the first book without mentioning how much horse they eat.

Edit: Did he ever mention how Robert's boar turned out? I think so, via Cersei.
    Last edited by Sinfonian; 2011-06-03 at 06:41 PM.
    Fair warning: I edit my posts fairly continuously, sometimes adding substantial amounts in the period immediately after I post originally. I blame grad school instilling a constant need to revise.

15. - Top - End - #855

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfonian View Post
    Off the top of my head, check both weddings and the feast for King Robert at Winterfell. I seem to recall all of those spending quite a bit of time on it. Oh, as well as his near inability to describe the Dothraki in the first book without mentioning how much horse they eat.
    Oh I'm aware that it exists. But I was never aware of it while reading.

16. - Top - End - #856

Quote Originally Posted by R. Shackleford View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always saw it as an elephant in the room. I would think that all of the movers and shakers in the story do know that Jaime and Cersei were going at it, but either apathy or allegience held them silent.

No one told Robert because everyone in place to do so had reason not to: Pycelle is Cersei's minion. Littlefinger would gain nothing from it and pissing off the man that he owes millions to wouldn't be smart. Varys kept it secret until there'd be a good place to use it (probably some time before Drogo tried to invade, to further split the great houses and allow the Targs to dominate). Stannis knew, but everyone hates Stannis, so...

I don't think Tywin knew it had gone that far. His wife knew that the two of them had experimented, and Tywin probably knew about that, but just dismissed it as childish curiosity. Or, he was simply ignoring it, much like how Cersei completely ignores that her oldest son was a complete sociopath that might've sexually abused her other children.
    More Lannister stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stannis knew only after Ned made his public accusation.

From what I gather, while a few people may have suspected, no one could actually prove anything. That's why Jon Arryn was such a big deal, he actually found proof. Unfortunately for Ned, by the time he clued himself in Cersei was in a position to counter him and his "slander."

As for Tywin, I think he would've killed Cersei if he found out. It's true that he can't get any use out of a corpse, but that's a hell of an albatross hanging around her neck. He'd have to weigh the consequences of her oh so tragic accidental death against spending resources to constantly hide the twincest from everybody that might have it in for them (which, let's face it, is over 75% of Westeros).

17. - Top - End - #857

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    More Lannister stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stannis knew only after Ned made his public accusation.

From what I gather, while a few people may have suspected, no one could actually prove anything. That's why Jon Arryn was such a big deal, he actually found proof. Unfortunately for Ned, by the time he clued himself in Cersei was in a position to counter him and his "slander."

As for Tywin, I think he would've killed Cersei if he found out. It's true that he can't get any use out of a corpse, but that's a hell of an albatross hanging around her neck. He'd have to weigh the consequences of her oh so tragic accidental death against spending resources to constantly hide the twincest from everybody that might have it in for them (which, let's face it, is over 75% of Westeros).
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the book, Stannis was wandering around with Jon Arryn visiting all the bastards and stuff, so he knew as much as Arryn did, so it's supposed that Stannis knew as well

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the book, Stannis was wandering around with Jon Arryn visiting all the bastards and stuff, so he knew as much as Arryn did, so it's supposed that Stannis knew as well
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well part of the whole thing was figuring out the dominate Baratheon traits. I was under the impression that Arryn made the link first and was disposed of before he could let everyone know. I didn't think Stannis caught the link quite as quickly. In fact I don't really think he got the connection until after Ned has also figured it out, and that it was someone else... thinking Littlefinger or Varys, that hinted Ned to the right conclusion. Though its been a few years since I read the first books to remember it all that clearly.

19. - Top - End - #859

Spoiler
    Show
    Its pretty much outright stated that Stannis knew and was preparing for war against the Lannisters for the whole first book. This is why he didnt' appear, since apparently he usually sits on the council as Master of Ships and only fled to Dragonstone to prepare.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfonian View Post

Edit: Did he ever mention how Robert's boar turned out? I think so, via Cersei.
    You forgot the fermented mare's milk. Usually curdled and chunky. It was apparently pretty sour too.

He talked about that possibly more often.
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Rapture View Post
    What is this good press for the Boltons you speak of?
    You know that thing where the kingdom isn't devoted to murdering every Bolton out there?
    That's pretty good press, considering.
    Roose, Ramsay, Michael... it's a bad bunch.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

22. - Top - End - #862

DwarfClericGuy

Tonight's episode was (of course) excellent

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the pacing needed work, but only because I had read the book. In my head i was thinking that a few months had passed but they didnt translate that to the screen well at all, but if you didn't know that it probably wouldn't matter.

I think they got the Greatjon just right. And i liked how it was Sam who knew what to do with the bodies.

Right now I just want to know where is the Blackfish?
    I'm not bad, I just aim that way ~my own comment on my Call of Duty abilities.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Shagga, Shagga, Shagga, Shagga!

Also:

Greatjohn!, Greatjohn!, Greatjohn!, Greatjohn!

Two of my favourite side characters are finally here. I am a happy man right now. I'm starting to like Drogho, I love it when he gets pissed off and starts proclaiming threatening stuff, it's awesome (the choreography of his fight scene is also very well done, liked how he got the wound, I think it adds some dept to what happens next). As always, Syrio and Tyrion perform as expected. Robb seems to be on the road to becoming a real character, Sansa is a bit of an idiot, Cersei is a bitch, I want to hit Joffrey, Lysa is annoying, and the gang at Castle Black are doing well, but I remembered the fight scene there as much bigger, ending in the Lord Commander's tower burning, or is that something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

The Greatjohn was done very well. Can't wait to see more of him.

And Shagga was just fabulous.

Spoiler
    Show
    The upcoming battle has me slightly worried. HBO has a bit of history from Rome of doing bait and switch things here. Build up to a big climactic battle, and then it all happens off screen. I know that there's a good reason for that, but still, it's kind of a jerky thing to do.

I'm also exceedingly worried about . . .
    Spoiler
    Show
    . . . how the dragons will look. I'm worried that they'll look like rejects from a SyFy channel movie like Death Worms of Mongolia or something. Or, worse, that they'll spend lots of money on them, but get the anatomy wrong. Really, they got it right in the 80's with Dragonslayer. They should just copy that.

It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Orc in the Playground

I liked the presentation of the mountain men, especially Chella. What little art out there has presented her as some sort of Xena/amazon savage goddess. The books make it clear that she is not a pretty lady. No disrespect to the actress who plays Chella, but that is what living in privation looks like. Not that Timmett son of Timmett will be winning in beauty contests himself...

GreatJon was the Greatjon. Didn't expect they'd screw that up, and they didn't. Although I did expect him to be physically bigger. Jon Umber is supposed to be an enormous man. Not overly important, the personality was right.

One thing I though was interesting considering the TV version's proclivity to answer reader's questions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    was the cut away from Syrio before his death. They haven't been squeemish about showing deaths on screen (especially if your accepting stark coin) so its a little curious that they didn't. There's been an online arguement (relatively weak, but passionate) that Syrio somehow survived the encounter. This would have been an opportunity for Martin to put certain online arguements to rest (like he did with the plotters Illyrio and Varys in the skull room). That Syrio again "dies" off screen will refuel the arguement.

And I loved Tyrion introducing the Mountain clans to his father. The way he kept looking longingly at the alcohol while negotiating this very important/dangerous meeting with Shagga and Tywin and all he really wants is a drink. Dinklage is doing amazing work as Tyrion.

26. - Top - End - #866

GreatJon was the Greatjon. Didn't expect they'd screw that up, and they didn't. Although I did expect him to be physically bigger. Jon Umber is supposed to be an enormous man. Not overly important, the personality was right.
    He's easily going to be my favorite character from here on out.

Spoiler
    Show
    And I loved Tyrion introducing the Mountain clans to his father. The way he kept looking longingly at the alcohol while negotiating this very important/dangerous meeting with Shagga and Tywin and all he really wants is a drink. Dinklage is doing amazing work as Tyrion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tywin Lannister in front of me and three savage chieftains behind? I'd want a drink too

27. - Top - End - #867
    Colossus in the Playground

Random thought and kinda book-spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    The title sequence shows the Lion, the Wolf, the Dragon and the Stag.

I can't help but think that in a few books, this will be the Flower, the Spear, the Octopus and the Dragon, and look quite silly
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-06-06 at 03:03 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #868
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Random thought and kinda book-spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    The title sequence shows the Lion, the Wolf, the Dragon and the Stag.

I can't help but think that in a few books, this will be the Flower, the Spear, the Octopus and the Dragon, and look quite silly
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a moment, I thought you meant the spear represented House Slynt and wondered what planet you were on. Heh.

But aside from the Tyrells, it all looks pretty badass. And don't forget the fiery heart.

Not that I have any patience with the damned Dornish and Ironmen, no matter how cool their sigils are. They just seem to be there as needless complications rather than integral parts of the story... though, granted, I'd probably be fairer to the Ironmen if the only guy representing them in Clash didn't make Sansa of the first book look downright humble, wise and soothing to the nerves.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DomaDoma View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a moment, I thought you meant the spear represented House Slynt and wondered what planet you were on. Heh.

But aside from the Tyrells, it all looks pretty badass. And don't forget the fiery heart.

Not that I have any patience with the damned Dornish and Ironmen, no matter how cool their sigils are. They just seem to be there as needless complications rather than integral parts of the story... though, granted, I'd probably be fairer to the Ironmen if the only guy representing them in Clash didn't make Sansa of the first book look downright humble, wise and soothing to the nerves.
    Slynt! King Slynt!
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #870

I just finished the 3rd book. Man was that depressing. It certainly makes me still feel the whole story is very sisyphean.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The only thing that keeps me going is that the book makes it clear that the Freys will get what's coming to them.
    I get the idea that protaganists shouldn't be unstoppable supermen who can't be challenged but do they all have to be such failures?