New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Gavisoria Games (IC)

Alwynn watches everyone compare anti-acid rain abilities with a wry smile. When it gets to his turn, he spreads his hands with a shrug.
    "I got nothin'."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Brut looks about the stymied party. He returns Galwaith's meek offer with a glance and curt order, "Speak."
    A post about nothing.

3. - Top - End - #213

Alwynn pokes Sanfeng with his staff.
    "Manners, milove. What do you have, dear lark?"

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Galwaith looks a bit intimidated by Sanfeng's curt brief demand, but his face lightens as Alwynn speaks.

"Alas my friends, I possess none of your arcane skills or the talents Robin has graced you with, but I have travelled these wastes before. In my experience, humble as it may be, I have found magical means of little use in avoiding the rains and lightening. There are, however, a multitude of abandoned ruins from some ancient civilization littering the desert and there is generally plenty of warning to seek cover. I happen to know of several good places to take refuge should the need arise and they were unoccupied when last I passed through. Plus, there are all manner of interesting trinkets and relics from the ancient peoples, some of which might be of interest to such as you. So, yeah."

"But I'm good at finding places to hide . . ."
    Currently Running
    The Gavisoria Games: IC | OOC
    The Obsidian Guild: IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #215

"Excellent! That's much more than any of us have! Have a lolly. And you, dear newcomer, I think we have some leftovers from the tasty meal courtesy of our cheerful friend that I'm sure you're welcome to."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Maekrix smiles broadly, and lets out a laugh. "Alwynn, I cannot think of anything you could have said to make me like you more." He looks about, a bit sheepishly. "I do, however, have some trail rations, and I would hate to be a burden on your food supply. Are you sure that it's alright? I'm a bit of a heavy eater." He gestures down at his heavily muscled and scaled form. "I'm still not used to it, actually, after all these years. Gaining about fifty pounds of bulk overnight really changes your appetite."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

7. - Top - End - #217

Alwynn shrugs. "Well, I can say with some confidence we didn't carry this food with us, but it's Vinto's creation. It's up to him."

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

"Might as well have at," Vinto shrugs, "It'll be a while before I'm willing to do so again, so we all might as well enjoy it." After a yawn, he adds, "Maybe I'm just tired. I've been grumpy for a while, at your all expense. It'll do me good to get some rest. Please, help yourself to the food, you should have no troubles getting to sleep tonight."

Spoiler
    Show
    Vinto casts healthful rest, doubling the natural healing rate from sleep. Not that we need it, but it's nice to burn spell slots on something flavorful every once and a while :3

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Maekrix thanks Vinto profusely, and then begins to exuberantly eat the remainder of the food. In some ways, it's a bit unnerving; the dragonborn comes across as very polite, but while eating he has a stark resemblance to a predator, with the fangs and claws to back that assumption up.

When he finishes he stands and turns back to Alwynn. "I must ask a favor of you; though I would like to stand watch, I have traveled hard today, and I fear that I would not be able to remain awake long. Additionally, I need about eight hours to recover all my spells, though I did not expend many today. What should the sleeping arrangements be? Again, I am here to help, but I feel as if I am a burden. If you need me to take first watch I will do so gladly, but I may cut into our day tomorrow a bit."

LGBTitP

10. - Top - End - #220

Alwynn watches Maektrix scarf with a smile of amusement. He raises his eyebrow at his question.
    "I get to be in charge? Excellent!" He sits up and rubs his hands together. Lets see now... I'm feeling pretty awake still, so I don't mind taking first watch. Vinto is clearly exhausted, but maybe he can get up early to take the last watch. Vinto, what do you th- Vinto? Bah, he's already asleep. Fine, he can have tonight off. Sanfeng... Brut? Whatever your name is now. Fancy midnight watch? And Galathir... Don't suppose you're an early riser, eh?
    Three watchers, 4 hour watches. Sound good?"

Spoiler
    Show
    How does setting watch work? I guess it works into the "you travel 8 hours a day" thing... An elf, an elf, my kingdom for an elf (with a Ring of Sustenence)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Galwaith grins widely and nods in approval. "Good idea. There might be all manner of foul beasties out here in the wilderness. But I'm quite an early bird anyway. I like to see the sun come up and the world arise; prepare myself for the day's surprise." He glances sternly at Sanfeng though. "I can be a bit of a heavy sleeper, but try not to break any ribs when you wake me up."

Spoiler
    Show
    Setting watch works however you want it to :D
    Last edited by Galathir; 2011-06-28 at 11:07 PM.
    Currently Running

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Maekrix nods in consent to Alwynn's plan, and he laugh's at Galwaith's remark. "I, too, may sleep a bit heavily tonight, but after eight or so hours of rest I can watch over the rest of you, if you need more sleep. I only need a small amount of peace in the morning to ready my mind and body." He blinks, and then smiles.

"Which reminds me; allow me to scrap some of the dust and dirt from us and our equipement." He speaks a few quiet words, and nimbly flares his fingers in a small pattern. When he finishes, a soft breeze smelling distinctly of freshly crushed pine needles moves over Alwynn's body, and he and his equipement are soon fresh and sparkling. The breeze lets loose a few small sparks and flows over to Galwaith, repeating the process. "I hope you don't mind," Maekrix adds as the prestidigitation moves over to him, "but I like to feel refreshed before I sleep and after I wake up. It's more than worth the use of a single cantrip to me.

And now, if you can forgive my lack of vigilance, I will bid you goodnight, and I thank you again for the food and the guard. Wake me if there is trouble, friends."
    He lays on the ground, using his oddly-shaped pack for a pillow, and he wraps his wings around himself like a blanket. A careful observer may note that as he places his pack on the ground he takes out a small object; a small cloth figure, made grey cotton and shaped like a dragon.

LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #223

When everyone has said (or grunted) their goodnights, Alwynn finds a clear patch close to the group and runs through some stances and motions with his staff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I nearly wrote "scarf" instead of "staff" and now I want to play a hipster character. Maybe I could adapt the Battlecloak into scarf form...
    Anyway, I'm recovering and preparing all stances and maneuvers. I've noted the ones I'm readying for the next day on my sheet.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Alwynns staff prods rock hard muscle beneath Sanfeng's robe. The orc grins facetiously, "Got him talking, didn't it."

Brut lays down to rest, eyes open, he volunteers silently for first watch. The leery monk watches the party, Galwaith particularly, through half-lidded eyes. In time, he wakes the bard to take second watch.

"I'm entirely serious," the cloistered monk asserts; for pride's sake, checking to make sure the rest of the party was asleep, "What is a Duke?"
    A post about nothing.

15. - Top - End - #225

Griffon

Vinto's only reply is to shift in his sleep, and perhaps a snort, if one listened for those kinds of things.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

Galwaith awakens with a start, and rubs the sleep from his eyes with a groan. "I was having such a lovely dream too . . . all lollies and pretty women. Oh well." His eyes open wide as Sanfeng mutters his question under his voice and he leans forward conspiratorially. "My goodness, you have been sheltered. No worries though, my friend, no one else need know of your lapse. A Duke is just a noble who ranks just below the king. They tend to be fabulously wealthy and incredibly picky about who they choose as bards and lutists in their courts. Not that I'm bitter or anything. Anyway, off to bed with you. Long day tomorrow and all that."

He stoically turns his back to the fire and scans the area around him with a ferocious dedication that boded ill for any creatures unlucky enough to wander into the range of his senses.
    Currently Running

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

Morning breaks and the mellow rays of the sun illuminate the world around you; its warming beam chasing away the mild chill of night, but giving a hint of the washing heat it will bring by mid afternoon. A few scattered wisps of cloud gently make their way east and the sky is already a rich azure filled with the gentle scent of jasmine, stone, and fresh running water.

Galwaith stokes up the fire into a cheery inferno of popping scrub oak. "Come one everyone, it won't stay pleasant for long so you might as well enjoy it while it lasts."
    Currently Running

18. - Top - End - #228

Griffon

Vinto wakes early, and eats a bit from his pouch. He puts it away, though, when he sees what Alwynn is doing.
    Last edited by chrisrawr; 2011-07-01 at 01:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Maekrix sits up with a massive yawn, flaring his great platinum wings with a gust of wind. He sits up and stretches, and the muscles in his arms and chest strain his chain shirt. He places a small grey lump in his pack, and he stands, limbering his wings and limbs. "That was wonderful," he says with a smile as he takes out a small lump of trail bread and meat from his pack. "I haven't slept so well in months. I don't know what it is, but I trust you all more than I have anyone in a while."

He laughs a bit as he takes a bite of bread. "I suppose an elder gold dragon telling me to trust you played a part in it. Now, then, I'll need a few minutes to ready my magic for today. Yell for me if we get attacked, but otherwise I'll be back in a few minutes." He leaps into the air, leaving his pack on the ground, and a small cloud of dust blows out from beneath him. He doesn't fly high, only gaining elevation for about half a minute before he begins to wheel in great circles around the group. Every so often he beats his wings, gaining his elevation back again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not technically a "nonactive, nonstressful" action, but he can fly for any amount of time as long as he coasts in between bursts of gaining elevation, and gliding through the air is at least as peaceful as sitting. It's a bit like a Quickening Ritual, except he's no longer a Spellscale. If you have a problem with him meditating for spells in the air, then I can change it, but I hope it'll be fine with you.

LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #230

Alwynn opens one eye, and then the other, and then has a big, luxurious stretch that somehow ends in him standing. He gets out some of his tasty rations and makes a decent breakfast of porridge for us.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanfeng rises with the sun. The solemn monk nibbles his rations over breakfast. He sits in contemplation of the coming day, rehearsing his well-practiced maneuvers through silent visualization.

"Well, let's get ourselves on the road. Nothing here but dust and sun."

{Blade magic warm-up.}
    A post about nothing.

22. - Top - End - #232

Griffon

Vinto winces slightly, and begins to pack up.

23. - Top - End - #233

When everyone's finished their breakfast, Alwynn rinses out the cookware and packs up his stuff. As we start walking, he spends some of his time twirling his staff and similar activities, and some time practicing his "old man" walk.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Galwaith helps everyone pack up, and then slings his own meagre belongings on his back. "Well, if anyone was cold, you won't have to worry about it for much longer. I'd say we're in for a nice balmy afternoon." He grins widely and the falls in with you as you leave the pleasant lea and continue on your way. The stream, while rapid and lively, is not deep and you wade across it easily. The morning sun is just beginning to reach the bottom of the valley as you start up the other side.

The path up the slope is fairly easy; the dried remnants of last years foliage crackles underfoot and the small shrubs and berry bushes brush at your thighs and waist. A faint dampness from the dew is still present on the leaves and gives a rich sweetness to the air. You soon crest the top of the hill and before you is laid out the vast glittering whiteness of the desert wasteland. Stretching out as far as you can see, it assaults your eyes like a tremendous ocean of blinding light, making ordinary sand look dim and pathetic by comparison. The small crystals from the evaporated acids and salts delivered by the rains refracts the light into a million facets of radiance broken only infrequently by broken hills of stone. A breeze blows in your face, with all the delicacy of dandelion fluff, but it carries with it the sterile, acrid smell of a harshly cleansed desolation.

"Well, here we are. You guys brought water, right?"
    Currently Running

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Maekrix stretches his brilliant wings, and his scales catch the harsh light from the desert. He grins, looking out at the acid-blasted wasteland with wry amusement. "It has been a long, long time since I've seen this place. This is where I was born, in most senses of the term." The dragonborn watches the desert wistfully for another moment before taking a waterskin from his pack and taking a swig. He offers it to the others with a smile. "I do indeed have water, though not enough for all of us. It would be best if we crossed the wastes with due haste. Shall we be off, friends?"

LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #236

Griffon

"I'll have water and food for myself. And of course, a trick or two if we're stuck in a pinch. If you run out and get thirsty, just ask." Vinto seems rather chipper, despite his recent bout of being a downer.
    Last edited by chrisrawr; 2011-07-06 at 09:55 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237

Alwynn, who made sure to refill his waterskin at the stream, shakes it and smiles in response.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

Sucking in a deep breath, as if it would be his last, Galwaith plunges over the crest of the rise and plods down the hill to the wasteland. The soft soil underfoot quickly gives way to a coarse gritty sand clogged with dust. It crunches underfoot almost like icy frost on a field of brittle winter grass. Unlike frost, however, it raises a small puff of powder with every step, soon surrounding you with a small cloud of acrid dust that stings your nostrils and eyes. Galwaith, obviously familiar with the inconvenience, pulls his cloak over his face, leaving only a small slit through which to see.

The sun beats down unmercifully despite the earliness of the day. What little breeze cooled you back by the stream is now long gone, and the air lies still and stagnant around you. Dust builds up in the crevices and folds of your clothing, and when you move your arms, small rivulets of dust sluice their way to the ground in a miniature imitation of an avalanche. You are forced to keep your eyes mostly shut in order to prevent being dazzled by the gleaming reflection of the sun on the pure white sand. You soon fall into a blind pace, your mind busy with random thoughts as it tried to keep your mind of the numbing heat and the arid ache from your throat. The whiteness encompasses you in every direction and a growing sense of isolation and loneliness flows over you. Every step is distinct, and yet just another clockwork motion as the world grows ever brighter around you. Everything is nearly perfectly silent, the dust covered cloak over your head blocks out most of the sound, and only the harsh whisper of your breath rustling through its cloth covering disturbs your thoughts.

You may have been walking for an hour, or ten, you are no longer sure. The blur of time deadens your senses, but just as you are starting to note that the brilliance of the sand seems somewhat dimmed recently, you are interrupted by a loud shout.

"Let's go everyone! We need to find shelter now!"

Galwaith has turned to face you all and his trembling finger is pointing to the thick bank of dirty yellow clouds louring over the horizon. Although still a fair distance off, they are approaching rapidly and you can just barely make out the dense darkness underneath from the acidic downpour.

"I think I see something over there. Let's go see what we can find. If we're lucky, maybe there's a cave or something there."

He indicates a small rise up ahead about 100 metres distant, with a few small stony outcroppings giving the hill a break from the monotony of the rest of the area.
    Last edited by Galathir; 2011-07-07 at 11:19 PM.
    Currently Running

29. - Top - End - #239

Griffon

As they run, Vinto slows occasionally to layer protection on his allies and new companions. "We'll be... prepared... this time..." he huffs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Endure elementsx5(Heatbegone), mass lesser vigor (everyone heals hp :D), mass resist energy (acid), mass conviction fort (+3 moral to fort). I'll be damned if we get fatigued from running in heat >:C tl;dr - everyone gain fast healing 1, acid resistance, and 3 fort.

30. - Top - End - #240

Alwynn imitates Galwaith and covers his face with his cloak. He gives Vinto a grateful look every time he casts Endure Elements - he is not a fan of heat.