New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Girl IV: Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced Technology

Yeah, I've thought about the Cutie Mark Crusader problem myself. I'm pretty sure it WAS an intentional bit of foreshadowing, though.

My best guess: in all of the crowd scenes, we see dozens of ponies, and occasionally hundreds (i.e. the talent show). So, there being more than one class worth of students in the town seems likely. However, the school Apple Bloom attends an old style single room schoolhouse, if I recall correctly. Maybe it's easier for them to segregate by grade than to build one large school?

In fact, it occurs to me that in the talent show episode, you get the impression that Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle know Ms. Cherilee, even though they aren't in Applebloom's class. She addresses them familiarly. So, we could solve the "problem" by assuming that Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are a year older than Apple Bloom and were in her class last year. A year's worth of growth isn't going to make them look THAT different.

As for why they didn't introduce themselves at the Nightmare Moon thing... Applejack is incredibly protective. You think that she's going to leave Apple Bloom unattended when there's an ancient god of darkness around? Or, in such a situation, they aren't going to go looking for their respective adults the INSTANT Nightmare Moon leaves? And for Sweetie Belle, that isn't necessarily Rarity; she lives with her parents most of the time, and I'd assume they'd be at the big 1000 year celebration. So while they had seen each other before (having picked the same hiding spot), they wouldn't necessarily know each other.

So it isn't too hard to come up with something reasonable.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    My best guess: in all of the crowd scenes, we see dozens of ponies, and occasionally hundreds (i.e. the talent show). So, there being more than one class worth of students in the town seems likely. However, the school Apple Bloom attends an old style single room schoolhouse, if I recall correctly. Maybe it's easier for them to segregate by grade than to build one large school?
    It occured to me that we didn't take Appleblooms location into account. The Apple's farm isn't exactly close to the main town of Ponyville, so it could be the case that there's a school closer to her place, but still not inside Ponyville.

As for why they didn't introduce themselves at the Nightmare Moon thing... Applejack is incredibly protective. You think that she's going to leave Apple Bloom unattended when there's an ancient god of darkness around? Or, in such a situation, they aren't going to go looking for their respective adults the INSTANT Nightmare Moon leaves? And for Sweetie Belle, that isn't necessarily Rarity; she lives with her parents most of the time, and I'd assume they'd be at the big 1000 year celebration. So while they had seen each other before (having picked the same hiding spot), they wouldn't necessarily know each other.
    The problem here is that they were next to each other in the first place. It could be indeed that they simply forgot each other after the Summer Sun Celebration, if they only met there for the first time, only passingly introducing themselves, and the only reason they hugged each other was because they were the only fillies in reach of each other. The problem with this theory is that it isn't all that satisfactory, in my opinion.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    It occured to me that we didn't take Appleblooms location into account. The Apple's farm isn't exactly close to the main town of Ponyville, so it could be the case that there's a school closer to her place, but still not inside Ponyville.

The problem here is that they were next to each other in the first place. It could be indeed that they simply forgot each other after the Summer Sun Celebration, if they only met there for the first time, only passingly introducing themselves, and the only reason they hugged each other was because they were the only fillies in reach of each other. The problem with this theory is that it isn't all that satisfactory, in my opinion.
    Oh well. I tried. If it isn't satisfactory, I think it's at least internally consistent.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

4. - Top - End - #94

http://teahouseofspirits.blogspot.co...l-land-of.html

it appears pony historians not on GitP overthink things also. (Unless that belong to one of you?)
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post

it appears pony historians not on GitP overthink things also. (Unless that belong to one of you?)
    Ah, great. Now I remember I need to edit that conversation into something readable. In addition to two other pieces I'm working on. And ponytar requests. Soooo manyyyyy ponieeeeeeesssss

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    Ah, great. Now I remember I need to edit that conversation into something readable. In addition to two other pieces I'm working on. And ponytar requests. Soooo manyyyyy ponieeeeeeesssss
    I know, isn't it GREAT?

... before someone ELSE does this.

Ponies are great. SO great, you guys.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Fascinating. I doubt that much effort went into coming up with pony mythology though; it all sounds like a good campfire tale. Even the legit religions.

"why are those four stars always so close to the moon?"
    "well, the ancients believed there was this omnipotent pair of sisters who were winged unicorns and-- no, shut up, I'm serious- who ruled the cosmos together long ago..."

SO great.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-04-02 at 08:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The WHOof/Dinky/Derpy time triangle.
    Will you play off 'net Derpy, or Ditzy Doo (and thus add Fanon to an otherwise unloved but legitimate background pony)?
    I'm having difficulty deciding. There's a lot of 'net Derpy to play off of, but the mentally challenged/random gibberish spouting version would be very difficult to maintain throughout as long a piece as I suspect this will be. On the other hand, 'net Derpy is deep. Ditzy Doo, by comparison, is tabula rasa. Which is tempting.

Most Dr. Whoof stories involving Derpy play her off as being more or less completely fine but with an ocular deficiency, which I suppose is the safest way to play that tract. But what I think I'm currently envisioning is an otherwise bright young pegasus who has occasional... lapses, where the world gets a little fuzzy and words don't come out the way she means for them to. More prevalent when she was younger, this iteration of Derpy will have spent years and a heck of a lot of effort overcoming/lessening the impact of her impairment, largely for the sake of her child. At least, I think that's what I'll go with. Really going to need to sit down and storyboard for this a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks a Derpy/Gump fic should find some way to make Bubbles canon? It's tragic, but I feel it would be beautiful.

Also, do you guys not have jobs or school or sleep or anything? I thought I was on here a lot, but I don't see how y'all have the time.
    Hm... that's something that would have to be done very delicately. I could see... no, wait. I could make that work. And I would make that work, if I hadn't just committed myself to a Dinky Hooves timeloop story. Perhaps that will be May's big project.
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2011-04-02 at 12:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

Can't wait to see te fruits of your labors...

Also, 2 minutes until posting in this thread doesn't give me the willies! Woo!

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Has anyone see the new banner at Equestria Daily yet? I love how miffed Trixie looks to have lost her power for the day.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Colossus in the Playground

It comes to my attention I have not posted in the new thread.

My belated reaction is: Trixie, you truly are the Great and Powerful and I will support your ruthless OP dictatorship till the ends of the earth Nothing we petty foals could do ourselves would be nearly as great.

Also, that suggested Derp-a-dox time travel story is pure gold.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Well, as long as we're in the (hopefully) waning hours of My Little Girl, I may as well post this.

Spoiler
    Show

Art by http://thelivingmachine02.deviantart.com/.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony IV: Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced Technology

And we're back to everypony being everypony again!
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post

I really love the time loop idea. Because really, how else would Derpy end up a single mother?
    Maybe the magic of frat colt parties and booze? Or one day her last delivery was an acceptance letter to a nice unicorn who applied for a job in a newly founded town at the western frontier. And he was so happy that he invited her over for muffins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

15. - Top - End - #105

My FB is now pony!
    Spoiler
    Show

I am sad that none of my FB friends are secret bronies, this MUST be remedied!
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

*looks at Equestria Daily*

*Finds this*

Quote Originally Posted by EquestriaDaily
    Someone sent me an email with these. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come in Cutie Mark Chronicles! You can find links to all 3 (In pdf form for coloring) Below!

Filly Applejack
    Filly Rainbow Dash
    Filly Twilight Sparkle
    Spike
    ...*jaw drops* Speechless. Speechless is how I feel.

And now...QUOTE STORM!

Right. Friendship is Sufficiently Advanced Technology. That alone makes me happy.

So, does someone care to copy-paste that Episode 21.5 summary in here again?
    Actually, I'll do it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    title: Squeak On You Crazy Darlin'
    Episode number: 21.576291
    Fluttershy singing to herself in the meadow and then an unseen assailant grabs her off screen.
    Queue Theme song
    You are shown a short scene where Luna is getting outfitted for a dress, and she mentions a concert that she's attending. But the fitting is interrupted by Twilight and Friends, who are worried that a string of Pony disappearence are occuring in Ponyville. When Rainbow Dash comes in and says she sees some Diamond Dog grabbing Fluttershy. So Twi and gang gives chase, where they found an underground empire of lizardman and winged monkeys music executives that employed Diamond dogs to "recruit" singers for their new Beatle-esque promoton band, cause down in the underground, music is power. we queue to Fluttershy being selected as lead singer, and she spent a nervous night plagued by hilarious dream sequence. Twilight heads to Canterlot for help while RD and AJ bets on whether Fluttershy can be found underground before nightfall.
    A non-confident Fluttershy gets a pep talk from a diamond dog manager but still freezes up at singing in front of large crowds. That's when the gang finds her and Pinkie jumps in for rescue with a new Pinkie Rock Ballet song (epic). During the song, Twilight arrives with Celestia while the song is in full bloom, here you see scenes of pony dancing to the song (including luna in her dress) Celestia seems shocked her sister is out at an underground dance party.
    The Lizardman executives tries to stop the impromptu rock concert and accidentally collaps the stage. Queue panicking ponies! (Trixie camo). Celestia uses magic and stops the collaps (melting the debris?) and awes the lizardmans. A new music industry is now regulated and ponies party in groovy underground concert without worries of lizardman executive meddling.
    (someone edit and come up with a moral)

Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Celestia,
    Today I learned Not To Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.
    Peace Out, Your Faithful Homie,
    Twilight Spizarkle
    It has to be said...

Ending the episode with a rock concert is the best way to end the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterForm View Post
    In a different continuity:
    Spoiler
    Show

Recent Past: Derpy returns home from a day at work to find a small, newborn filly asleep on her couch with a note:
    Derpy is not one to question such things, and happily takes Dinky in. She eventually forgets the note.

Present Day:
    Derpy Hooves is a single parent mailpony. She loves Dinky very much, and has raised her well. She meets Doctor Whoof, who moved to Ponyville to take a position as resident clockmaker.

Near Future: Doctor Whoof reveals his identity as The Doctor, a Time Lord. He takes Derpy as his Companion. They go on several awesome adventures.

Farther Future: Dinky is fully grown, and moves out on her own. Derpy becomes lonely, and wants to have another child.

Farther Future: Derpy is with child; The Doctor's. The foal is born healthy, but Derpy dies shortly after childbirth, her last words naming the child "Dinky" and lamenting that she never had the chance to raise her own daughter. The Doctor realizes what has to happen. He returns to the past, leaving a newborn filly and a handwritten note on the couch of a certain bachelorette mailpony . . .
    Hooray. :o

In other news, unrelated to sad unstable time loops, I found a basic description of Party of One.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkie Pie tries to learn why her friends are avoiding her party invitation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My guess is that they want to throw the party FOR her. Or possibly some other coincidence like that.

Though with the way pony episodes tend to get resolved, I'm expecting it to be more complicated than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Many
    *A whole bunch of Cutie Mark Crusader Pre-Call speculation*
    The simplest answer to this is just that the three of them all sought shelter under the table, and didn't interact much with each other the next day.

It's also entirely possible that Call of the Cutie takes place several months after the pilot, meaning that by then, a lot more of Applebloom's classmates may have been getting cutie marks, and she just didn't notice those two hadn't yet.

Keep in mind that the events of that episode appear to take place over one day, and that she probably did not see Sweetie Belle or Scootaloo after the school bell rang.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing.

Winter Wrap-up, on Piano.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2011-04-02 at 11:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

My FB is now pony!
    Spoiler
    Show

I am sad that none of my FB friends are secret bronies, this MUST be remedied!
    No secret bronies on my FB either. I've gotten one person to comment on my pic so far, but perhaps I'll post up a link to WWU too.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

There are no Bronies on my FB as well: or they keeping it secret.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

No FB bronies either.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

20. - Top - End - #110

I don't have FB, so no bronies here (though I have introduced three bronies in real life, two were skeptical, one trusted me and another two people haven't tried it yet).

21. - Top - End - #111

What all races get cutie marks?

I know Earth Ponies, Unicorn Ponies, Pegasus Ponies, and Pegacorn Ponies do.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Zebras seem to get cutie marks. Bison and cows do not have them, nor do mules.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by invinible View Post
    What all races get cutie marks?

I know Earth Ponies, Unicorn Ponies, Pegasus Ponies, and Pegacorn Ponies do.
    From what we've seen, that's the full list. Zecora does not appear to have one, so zebras are out. None of the buffalo had them, nor did the cows. Gilda likewise lacks any sort of identifying marks. Which just leaves things like dragons, cockatrices, and manticores, which... yeah.

The rule appears to be that only ponies are eligible for cutie marks, although it's not a guarantee one will appear.

edit: wait, do zebras get them? I don't really recall seeing... gah, stripes are confusing. I guess this is my fault for not spending enough time staring at equine butts.
    Last edited by PhoeKun; 2011-04-02 at 01:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

edit: wait, do zebras get them? I don't really recall seeing... gah, stripes are confusing. I guess this is my fault for not spending enough time staring at equine butts.
    Zebras seem to, let me try and find a picture.

Looks like they do...
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2011-04-02 at 01:44 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

25. - Top - End - #115

She has that Sun thingie: http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Zecora. Not sure if it really counts as a cutie mark, but it could well be the Zebra version of one; we'd have to see more Zebras for confirmation.

Bonus theory: Zecora is the Celestia of the Zebras. The Zebras, however, actually managed to overthrow their Sun Deity/Dictator, exiling her to the Everfree Forest.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, there you have it. I feel silly now, and promise to practice more perfectly peering at pony posteriors in the future.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Zebras seem to, let me try and find a picture.

Looks like they do...
    That looks to be more of a tribal marking of some kind, like a tattoo or scarification. Mainly, it's more abstract than a cutie mark. Ponies have colorful marks that obviously represent real-world objects pertaining to their talents (except for the doctor, who bears the emblem of the International Red Cross instead). Zecora's mark consists only of various lines and shapes with no shading or coloration. Furthermore, it appears to be a stylized representation of the sun, but Zecora has exhibited no sun-related talents. She appears to be an herbalist, a profession which is only related to the sun in a very indirect way (ie photosynthesis).

The simplest possible explanation is that zebra marks have nothing to do with their talents: Perhaps the sun symbol has significance among her native society (say, as a mark of loyalty to a faction that has taken the symbol as an emblem, as a brand that ties her to a specific caste or profession, or as a family symbol indicating heritage), perhaps it is an arbitrary identifying mark. I still believe the simplest explanation is that she acquired the mark deliberately (or it was deliberately force upon her). Even if zebras get their marks from the same force that governs pony marks, zebra marks have enough differences from pony ones that I feel it would be inaccurate to call them "cutie marks."
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

I think it's more likely that Zecora was a part of the ruling regime in nearby Dolichohippia, which was a puppet government set up by Celestia so she could ensure the proper import of various alchemical substances. It underwent a populist revolt and they hanged their leaders, but Zecora, one of the higher-ups, managed to flee to Equestria seeking privelage and asylum. Celestia, not wanting to appear opposed to the new populist regime in Dolichohippia, denied asylum and was going to deport Zecora, so she fled and hid in the Everfree Forest.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Zecora:
    You people make things so complicated
    So listen while I clearly state it.
    It is a cutie mark, so get an eyeful
    But my special talent? It's drawing spirals.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Zecora:
    You people make things so complicated
    So listen while I clearly state it.
    It is a cutie mark, so get an eyeful
    But my special talent? It's drawing spirals.
    ...win. <3
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.