New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A complete N00bz first try at world-building...

Hm... I like the thought of Roman. Or perhaps Greek?

I see you beat me to the punch on that. Good, good. In that case, I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I normally just add things to Tallal as the thought (and the urge) takes me.
    My schedule is fairly irregular, but I tend towards the later hours of the day.

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Byzantine? Based off of the Holy Roman Empire, with politics to match, perhaps?
    LGBTA+itP

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

The HRE and Byzantium aren't my strong suit. I have decided that religion covers pretty much all the everything, but that's about it as far as politics go. I'm still open on that one.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe base something off of somebody odd. One of the larger african tribes, perhaps? Or did you want to have most of the "civilized" races be european and the First People (whose fluff I really like, please keep it in) be the native-primal people?
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dwarf in the Playground

Random thought process, please bear with me. Feel free to replace all instances of 'the Divine' with the name of the god.

The Divine controls the life of the average citizen. Divinations, often weeks long, decide what role a young child should train for, as dictated by the Divine. THe church provides for the needy, and is supported by the well-to-do. Life well within the status quo is a life well lived. The Archbishop has final say, though many decisions are made by the Four Cardinals. The Cardinals are pre-destined to their roles, via the self-same divinations preformed when they are young.

Omens are turned to in times of hardship and difficult decisions. It is considered an act of evil to break from destiny, but heroes are acclaimed to have been chosen by the Divine to act outside their roles when they are needed.

Relations with the other nations are cold, but the Divine dictated peace, and so there shall be peace. They march and change solely by the whim of the Divine, as interpreted by the Archbishop. Disasters are the displeasure of the Divine shown, and an Archbishop that orders an ill-fated move is either exposed as an evil demon, or it was the Divine punishing the nation for some failure.

"We live for the Divine. The Divine speaks through our actions. Do not dishonor yourself, for you dishonor the Divine. Live a pious life, and you shall find peace in the afterlife."

Motto: Against evil, by the love of the Divine.

EDIT: More additions to the allomancy stuff. It's getting there, slowly. More feats and a couple PrCs at least to go.
    Last edited by Byzantine; 2011-11-07 at 06:44 PM.

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Not bad at all. I'd like to add a holy text of some sort, sorta like the elder scrolls in that it has an uncanny ability to predict things that are to come to those that understand how to read them. Or, who can bluff well enough to say "Oh no! the scrolls predict an army of heathens attacking from the North next week! Quick, go conquer the Vallheim!" as well as some provision for use of the "Our god is right and yours is wrong" logic.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Dwarf in the Playground

Feel free add or change anything that you want. I just kinda typed that up on the spur of the moment. That's actually how I come up with a lot of my best ideas. Perhaps the Archbishop is the only one that can read the scrolls/tome that predict great times, and the commonfolk believe that it is written in actively by their god?

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

That's not a bad idea. I'll go with that. Any ideas for names/themes/nature of the deity? It's not going to be an active force, really, so don't worry about that. I like a god of light and purity. It gives people a reason to have Crucible-esque witch burnings, just to burn away the sin.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Sleepless nights. Joooooy.)

Hm.... Light and purity.... Actually, ironically, the first comparison that comes to mind is Aten Ra, the Egyptian sun god. It's a bit of a break from the current theme, but it might be interesting.

Alternately... Hm. God of light, fire and purity... Flamis Puris. It's a corrupted and transposed version of the Latin pura flamma, pure flame. I'm thinking either a goddess or a genderless god, that 'favors' the Soleh people. As far as the people know, their god prefers to act through omens, portents and other natural signs, as well as the Archbishop of the church. Perhaps there are two faces to this god; the purifying light of day (the sun) and the protecting glow of night (the moon).

Now I'm tempted to do up a complete deity profile for Flamis Puris.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe the Archbishops are slightly... distorting the message that they are receiving from the goddess. A church full of nice people isn't very realistic (there are idiots everywhere!).
    LGBTA+itP

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree on having the Archbishops not be entirely servants of the people's best interests. On the other hand, they don't have a concrete message to interpret falsely (they'd say otherwise, but so would many real-life religious leaders). The sun/moon duality is also interesting, but it gives the church a natural-world foundation that I'd like to save for the other religions, like the Vallheim's.

I also tested out some translations from English to Greek, looking for names.

Purity-katharóti̱ta

Light-fo̱s

Burn-énkav̱ma (like this one, it has potential)

Fire-fo̱tiá

12. - Top - End - #342
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wasn't going to say anything about the disposition, personally. I'm not big on religion IRL myself.

Well, the sun/moon thing might still be good for the religion of Vallheim. For Soleh's god, then... perhaps, if we were to give them domains like a normal D&D god, Protection, Vengence (or Retribution, I think there's a domain for that too), Good and Fire? At least to define how they are viewed by the commonfolk. Portfolio (again, just to define, since it's not a traditional D&D god): Purity, Soleh, Protection, Retribution.

These are just thoughts from me, of course.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing that I like about having fire as part of the god's sphere of influence is that it really allows a lot of other things to work well.

The priest caste could be made out of predominantly red mages who consider their powers to be a gift from their god(ess?), and red mageborn are those blessed by the divine from birth, and preordained into his/her service. Those who harness the Red magic of flames and light from outside the priesthood are considered a perversion of the God(ess), and are persecuted.

Also, it provides for why "heathens" are burned at the stake: They are being sent as offerings to the Divine. Other offerings of food, incense, etc. could be sent up to the Divine in the same way, turned into the breath of flame (smoke).

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like that. Then again, I'm a pyro, so that could be it. As for the gender of the god, I suppose that depends on which gender would have the power in society. A goddess implies that females are more powerful that your traditional medieval society. That could be equality, or it could be complete gender reversal. If it is a male god.... Well, then it would depend on the disposition, though it is more likely to be a male-dominant society.

Of course, the gender doesn't make much of a difference in terms of church manipulation. Once social norm is established, it's hard to usurp.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I want Soleh to be loatheable, but not evil in and of themselves. Like, a DM could make them into the bad invader guys, or the good innocent guys. It's far easier, speaking as a feminist here, to loathe a male-centric culture, and the "Raaah me smash" thing we have going lends itself to a crusading, invading, aggressively religious nation. I'll go with a male deity, just because it honestly does fit.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Thought about the Dotze Affariata's religious organizations.

Before the Great Awakening (Enlightenment? Liberation? New Pact?), the population followed the Old Gods. (Social Note: at this point, there was not a distinct social separation between the Nobility and the commons. There were differences of wealth, some of which were distinct, but nothing socially encoded)

These gods were not outrightly evil, but rather proud and generally not too kind. Think Old Testament or Ancient Greece, minus the direct interventions (Genocide, impregnation, etc.) Pain was considered a gift to them, as a token of what one could endure in dedication and supplication to their power. A wedding rite might contain a lash for bride and groom to represent the pain they would endure for each other, or a branding to represent the warmth of their mutual love.

(Creepy, but mostly voluntary. Not outrightly evil, but not jolly happy fun time Pelor either)

Sacrifices of living animals were also not uncommon, including doves sacrificed to the god of time, balances and laws (need a name), and cows bled out off the masts of naval ships to feed the ever-hungry god of the sea.

Note to self: Think of more creepy stuff for these guys to do. No sacrificing virgins or summoning demons or undead, but just weird. Self mutilation and deprivation, maybe requiring castration for the priesthood, that sort of thing.

This worship officially ended 200 years ago, about a century before the Vallheim's Civil War. A man, claiming to be a prophet of the Good God (I actually like that name as it is, no need for an overly-fantasy-ish one) traveled to each city, and everywhere he went, good fortune followed. When he touched the statues of the Old Gods, they crumbled. When he kissed the brow of the sacrificed lambs, they opened their eyes and awoke. When the walked through the drought-plagued fields, rain fell the next day. The afflicted left him cured, and no man could turn a weapon against him.

He spoke of a New Pact that was to be made between the people of the world and the Good God who was to be their patron. He chose followers in each city and proclaimed them to be the Elect of the Good God. He also listed and set into scrolls the commandments of the Good God, including the commandments of the Sons.

"The First Son of the Elect is to be He who is father to the land after his father. He shall inherit the Lands and the Duties of his father, as well as his status as the Elect. The Second Son of the Elect is to be He who learns of the teachings of the Good God, so as to temper his brothers' might with love. The Third Son of the Elect is to the He who carries the Sword, for the defense of his brothers and the glory of the Good God. The Fourth Son of the Elect is to be he who accrues knowledge for the benefit of his Brothers and all followers of the Good God. The Fifth Son of the Elect is to create music and works of beauty for their own sake...." And so on.

However, not everyone chose to follow the Prophet of the Good God. The new nobility, backed by their wealth (No poor or non influential followers were chosen to be members of the new nobility), powerful positions in the government, and a new-found Divine Right had little trouble spreading propaganda and making every member of the Dotze Affariata a nominal member of the Church of the Good God. However, many of the Commons held onto their old beliefs, resenting the gulf that now kept them from social advancement. While the priesthood of the Good God considers belief in the Old Gods to be a sin and a crime, enough Noble and important Common families hold onto closeted beliefs that persecution is almost nonexistent.

So, I like this. Some basic premises cheerfully jacked from the Renegade Magic series, namely the concept of the dominant religion being a newish one, but the majority of it was me. Thoughts?

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm thinking about bumping the coming of the prophet back a hundred or two years, upon reflection, to give the economic and social implications of the elect turning into divine right nobility some time to settle down.

Also, came up with some Old Gods for the some of the commons and a few closeted nobility to worship quietly.

Arcuttio of the Sea ~ "Ever-Hungry", ominous sea god who likes to munch on ships that don't give him animal sacrifices before voyages. Also appreciates sailors dedicating their kills to him. omnomnomnomnom..... Humans. Symbolized by a shark, sometimes as a bloated and waterlogged corpse.

The Crone ~ Creepy old woman who is responsible for taking the dead people to whatever afterlife I've yet to decide upon for these guys. Strong connection to taking children and mothers who die in childbirth. Responsible for stillborn children, all that bad stuff. Symbolized by a old creepy woman.

Orandula/Remborosa (Can't decide on a name) ~ God of Time, debts, the inevitable, balances, death and rebirth as a cycle and...well, not karma, but the concept that if do bad stuff, it'll come back to bite you. Like a debt being repaid over....time. Appreciates sacrifices of songbirds, doves, and such, to be left out for vultures, his symbols. Maybe it allows one to think about the inevitability of death, and how one must be prepared, in time, to give up their life to the gods. Or maybe it's just creepy.

Tramposio ~ The Jester, Thief, Fool, Malicious Trickster Doucebag. Famous for seducing married women and giving them STD's, stealing people's wits and making them into fools (their explanation for pretty much any mental abnormality. Jester did it.), messing with people, and generally being the opposite of the friendly, tricksy, harmless bard archetype.

That's about all I have for now. Go Go Triple Post!

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Other possible gods would be a war god (he favors the side that gives him the most sacrifices), a old style god of the seasons (blood on the pines in winter makes winter end), and maybe one more?
    The idea of the god being called the Good God, and only the clergy knowing his name: I like!
    Really, I like the entire premise of the religion. Good story, enough little details that people will remain interested, and it is believable.
    LGBTA+itP

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Eldest. I'll work those two gods in, maybe the warrior as a "mindless rage in battle" Ares type and the woodsy one as a paleolithic hunter type. Good stuff, there.

Also, the clergy are exclusively drawn from the nobility, second sons to be precise. Another incentive to maintain the status quo.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Thanks Eldest. I'll work those two gods in, maybe the warrior as a "mindless rage in battle" Ares type and the woodsy one as a paleolithic hunter type. Good stuff, there.

Also, the clergy are exclusively drawn from the nobility, second sons to be precise. Another incentive to maintain the status quo.
    Just the second sons? Or second, third, forth, etc?
    EDIT:
    Tramposio ~ The Jester, Thief, Fool, Malicious Trickster Doucebag. Famous for seducing married women and giving them STD's, stealing people's wits and making them into fools (their explanation for pretty much any mental abnormality. Jester did it.), messing with people, and generally being the opposite of the friendly, tricksy, harmless bard archetype.
    Why not instead have him a) be both genders and b) not restrain himself to seducing women? Interesting tidbit of gender equality there.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2011-11-20 at 02:37 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

21. - Top - End - #351
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like it, actually. It really works with what you have going here. It also would really twist the social workings, kinda like before freedom of religion.

EDIT: The time-bending metals in allomancy are more or less complete, sans critique, so now I'm just looking for an outlet for the first stage of playtesting.
    Last edited by Byzantine; 2011-11-20 at 08:20 PM.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Just the second sons? Or second, third, forth, etc?
    Yup, it's the rules. In one of the previous posts, that the first son inherits the land and title, second becomes a priest, third becomes a soldier, fourth does other stuff, etc.

Why not instead have him a) be both genders and b) not restrain himself to seducing women? Interesting tidbit of gender equality there.
    I think that's a rather excellent idea.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

I actually like the idea that the noble children have set roles depending on when they were born (compared to their siblings). Of course, things would really get interesting when an Elect has twins, or gods forbid, triplets. Oh, the horror.

Perhaps a god of disease, healing and alchemy or something of the sorts. Or maybe famine. That would be cool too.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    I actually like the idea that the noble children have set roles depending on when they were born (compared to their siblings). Of course, things would really get interesting when an Elect has twins, or gods forbid, triplets. Oh, the horror.
    Oh. hohohoho. hoho. That's a good question. Would they just assume the one that was born first is the firstborn, or would they share the role? It could be considered an honor to have twin second sons (two priests), but bad luck to have twin firstborns (splitting the estate). Or, they could get creepier and exile or kill all but the first.

Perhaps a god of disease, healing and alchemy or something of the sorts. Or maybe famine. That would be cool too.
    I actually feel the the Crone could take care of all of those, being a witchy sort of lady. Not a nice witchy lady, but not entirely evil. One of those "make offerings while my wife's giving birth so she'll stay the hell away" types.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

I actually feel the the Crone could take care of all of those, being a witchy sort of lady. Not a nice witchy lady, but not entirely evil. One of those "make offerings while my wife's giving birth so she'll stay the hell away" types.
    So like that one aunt in your family that won't take the hint that no, you don't want her to come over for Christmas.
    LGBTA+itP

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    So like that one aunt in your family that won't take the hint that no, you don't want her to come over for Christmas.
    If she's responsible for taking dead people into the afterlife with her fruitcake, then yes, that's pretty much it.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

If she's responsible for taking dead people into the afterlife with her fruitcake, then yes, that's pretty much it.
    Have you met my aunt Sally somewhere?
    LGBTA+itP

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone has an Aunt Sally.

Lessee.... next priority, now that we have some more detail on religions?

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Map and a giant summery.
    LGBTA+itP

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Map is going to be a stone cold bitch for my artfully-deprived self, but a summary is up in the OP. I'll start looking for programs and such, or maybe someone in the Art forum to help.