New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A complete N00bz first try at world-building...

I agree with Eldest on his points. You also need to work on important points in history since the empire broke apart. Was it just one big civil war? Was it ideological differences that started the schism? Wars, foundings, heroes, plagues and the like are all likely to be recorded and remembered. Great natural disasters as well. (Which reminds me, I need to find the file I stuffed all the legends I was working on. No, I hadn't forgotten! ) Do people remember the old empire, and the kingdoms' ancient ties, or was that lost in the war? Did the empire arrive from another continent like you originally postulated, or did something else entirely happen?

As far as races go, I can see both points. I'm a big fan of diversity, but at least in my current project-world, Tallal, the various races come from different continents, or sprang up from magical fallout. (I'm guilty of having Bernie Botts Every Flavour Elves, though I do have a reason for it.) Ideally, each world's racial choices are built around the in-game lore, so I think you are doing fine.
    My schedule is fairly irregular, but I tend towards the later hours of the day.

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm currently studying how other historical nations fell apart. I feel like this should happen directly after the last battle with the First People, or at least soon enough that they could be directly attributed.

One option: after the slaughter of the Last Battle (needs a name), the Emperor committed suicide in shame, without naming an heir. His children fought, ended up in a civil war, and the current nations are what remains.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, and by the way Byz, I can't wait to see those stories! They sound awesome.

Also, I'm considering Killoren for the First People. It should be largely irrelevant, but just in case. Opinions on that?

Option 2 for empire breakup: Rebel groups became active during the war, possibly dormant groups who had existed in the Easters Land, and broke apart from the Old Empire.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Option three: BOTH! Best explanation ever!
    LGBTA+itP

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Option three: BOTH! Best explanation ever!
    Eh, yeah, that's worth considering. Let's say the Dotze Affariata were the rebel groups of economic elites, Soleh was an incredibly religious heir and Sunshan was the most likely choice to ascend to the throne, favored son and all that. The Vallheim could be the fruit of a mass exodus of refugees from the resulting civil war.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, I hope I don't disappoint, once I find the file. A friend recently rearranged things 'for' me, so I'm digging through my folders to find it. If it 'found' it's way into the recycling bin, he and I are going to have a nice long chat... (and my Recuva program will be getting a work out).

I support Killoren as The First People. Besides, they're a fun race.

And, again, I agree with Eldest with the empire breaking up idea. Great minds think alike it seems.

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Killoren would be the ones that look like this, correct?
    Every killoren constantly manifests an aspect of nature's might (Killoren have no neutral, non-aspected state.) All killoren are born manifesting an aspect, usually the aspect their mother is manifesting at the time.
    Killoren resemble half-elves, and males and females alike average about 5-1/2 feet in height. They mature quickly, being full-grown by the age of 10, and live very long lives, hardly changing at all in appearance for their first century. Killoren have green or tan skin the texture of a soft, young leaf, and their limbs are unusually long and slender when compared with those of the humanoid races. An individual killoren’s hair and eye color depends on which aspect of nature the killoren is currently manifesting.
    The physical qualities that killoren display when manifesting different aspects of nature's might are summarized below:
    Aspect of the Ancient: Hair turns white and eyes turn to the color of a blue summer sky.
    Aspect of the Destroyer: Hair and eyes turn a deep, lusterless black; many find the gaze of a killoren destroyer’s coal-black eyes to be unnerving.
    Aspect of the Hunter: Hair and eyes turn a deep forest green, and skin tone becomes a deeper brown than when manifesting one of the other aspects.
    Killoren are immortal, dying only from accident or violence, but are only active for the first few of centuries of life. After this time, their sense of time begins to expand onto a geological scale and they become quintescient, sturdy as ancient mountains but still alive like mighty redwood trees.
    LGBTA+itP

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, yeah, stats aren't too vital and I have no qualms about messing with their appearance. I just liked their name and the fact that they were fey.

Are we good on the origins of the nations?

Oh, and good luck on recovering those files. I'd love to check them out.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

I think if you did that aspect thing, you might want to tie it to the seasons.
    LGBTA+itP

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooh, yeah, that's a good idea. Let's come up with one more and tie that in.

Also, little cultural note for the goliaths:

An infant goliath has none of the markings of an adult. A season after a child is born, they are taken to any of several dozen holy caves, which contain both natural crystal formations and pools of water dyed near-black from biological activity (maybe sap from tree roots that dip into it? Bacterial cultures? Not sure.) The infant is held and meditated over by a druid or shaman or other religious leader, then tattooed with a sliver of crystal and the black water in patterns the holy one finds appropriate. The water contains an anesthetic property that reduces the pain the child feels. The patterns are mostly abstract, with some patterns similar to those naturally occurring, like a tree-like shape going up one's spine, or splotches similar to those of a leopard. However, the child's chest is always left bare.

Despite the anesthetic properties, the liquid used the the tattoo has the side effect of causing a deep fever in the child. It is nonlethal in about 99 of 100 cases, and if the child survives, it is unable to ever contract the disease again. Also, the fever is substantially less dangerous to children than it is to adults. (Early form of immunization). After the child has fought off the disease, it is returned to the holy one, who chooses a childhood name, and tattoos it onto the child's chest in the goliath semipictoral language.

Twelve to fifteen years later, the child goes through a rite of passage, after a woman's first menstruation and a male's first successful solo hunt for large, dangerous game without use of distance weapons. (Bears, wolves, large mountain goats). Both of these events have their own related rites.

After the rite of passage, the child is entitled to select and expand upon their childhood name, tattooing their own chest with prefixes, suffixes and complications on their childhood name.

This was mostly for fun, but I think it makes the Goliaths seem more real.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, spring is associated with birth/rebirth, summer with growth, fall with weakening or harvest, and winter with death. Also, for the Goliath ritual:
    A. Have the blackness come from mushrooms, which the shaman eats before tattooing the infant. Spirit of the gods and all that.
    B. Have the empty space be on the back of the goliath, not the front. This means that the Goliath can decide his own name, but he still needs the tribe to tattoo it on him. It has all sorts of nice symbolism and stuff, plus (more practically) it reinforces the shamans hold on the tribe, since the shaman's the most likely to understand how to tattoo somebody.
    LGBTA+itP

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Also, for the Goliath ritual:
    A. Have the blackness come from mushrooms, which the shaman eats before tattooing the infant. Spirit of the gods and all that.
    B. Have the empty space be on the back of the goliath, not the front. This means that the Goliath can decide his own name, but he still needs the tribe to tattoo it on him. It has all sorts of nice symbolism and stuff, plus (more practically) it reinforces the shamans hold on the tribe, since the shaman's the most likely to understand how to tattoo somebody.
    Both excellent points. I'll put those in the final version.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Jolly Newtonmas, everyone! Let us all raise out voices and praise the day of the birth of the discoverer of the laws of thermodynamics. Halleluiah!

EDIT: I have defeated the evil virus that held my desktop captive in a glorious battle. PrC Adding will recommence later tonight.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2011-12-26 at 09:08 PM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

A triple post? I think yes.

Now... I know we've looked into a lot in terms of new subsystems, but bear with me on this one. Remember how ToB revolutionized mundane combat? The Codices of Spellshaping do the same for magic, and I'm considering writing some support for them into the world itself. However, I'm not entirely sure it's a good idea. These new classes would demolish melee types in most situations, (not that current caster wouldn't), but they have a lot more staying power. In short..... I dunno. I like it, but I can't judge where they'd fall on any sort of power scale. So, give it a look, see what you think and let me know.

Also, more fluff posts are on their way.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

I can't judge the power of the spellshapers very accurately, but they do look tier three. What other "different" classes are you planning on putting in their. I know you want to use Binders (which are tier three as well, if I recall correctly). And did you make a decision about the users of "Nine ways to kill people, regardless of the sort of weapon you happen to be using"?
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, yeah, ToB's in, and I'm including the Warrior Poet class, it's in the OP with a ton of new disciplines. Spellshapers, though.... They're really powerful at low levels. 2d6+1, at will, 60 ft, touch attack? Yes please. I don't know how they fare at higher levels, though, because they have all the versatility of a warlock or warblade, namely "I shoot it again", or "I jump really high". I have nothing against that, but I really don't know how I feel about them. I'll do this PbP with them, see how it goes.

EDIT: I'm also putting in Totemists, the new mage class, warlocks, truenamers, maybe the allomancy system, psionics to some degree, and a couple others.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2011-12-29 at 01:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, Totemists were one of the mainly race-restricted ones, correct? What were the other race-restricted ones, or did you ditch that idea?
    New mage class being the one you made? With the colors?
    A homebrewed warlock, or the regular one?
    Allomancy... It seems really cool, but it also seems like that should be a central part of any setting. Maybe if you said it was widely used by one of the nations, or a particular race/ethnic group? Or it's a secret discipline? It just doesn't seem to fit in...
    Truenamers... please, fix them. Any of the fixes, but not the basic Truenamer.
    Psionics is sorta in the same boat as allomancy. It could fit way better though, if you banned some powers. I like it better in this setting.
    And the more homebrewed stuff innate to the setting, the happier I am since I have very few 3.5 books.
    LGBTA+itP

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, totemists are mainly Goliaths, banning any PC special snowflakes.

Yes, that mage classing being the one with the four colors. I'll make a table for that here at some point.

I'll look into good warlock rewrites (I like Mammon's), as well as the moonblessed in the OP.

I'm on the fence with allomancy, it won't be widespread in any case. Maybe a racial thing for gnomes.

Again, Truenamer fix is in the OP. I'm playing one now, I'm an awesome buffbot.

I'll get around to a psionics banlist at some point, but the "needing to be activated" thing limits it powerfully. It won't be widespread, at any rate.

And there's plenty of good homebrew in the OP, now, so give that a look.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

Warlocks? I love you to bits right now, Wyn. I actually really love the warlock class, RAW, at any level. (THough, they have an atrociously low amount of invocations. I have a caster variant that fixes that without changing mechanics.) When you playtest this world, I am so being a warlock. Hands down.

As always, I appreciate input on the allomancy thing (though I would enjoy seeing it used in a world that isn't mine.) I agree that it doesn't seem to fit just standing there alone, though.

Digging up the file is proving more interesting that I originally thought. But I will get them, even if I have to rewrite them! As much as I hate rewriting things.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

On the use of the Banlist:

The following powers are banlisted for effects that don't fit with the spirit of this project, use of nonexistent planes of existence, mucking about with time and other things that just don't quite fit. By default, none of these powers are to be available to players. This does invalidate some Psionic disciplines, as the available powers at a given level may be entirely banned.

Some DM's may feel this list is too constricting, and may either ignore it completely or allow characters to access it, either in its entirety or individual through use of a feat. In some situations it may make sense for a character to gain use of a banned power for in-game reasons. All three options are acceptable, you're the DM after all.

Refluffed Powers: These are powers that, in many cases, use ectoplasm, crystal or other materials that don't fit Patria's flavor. As such, they are called out and given individual ideas on how to refluff them. Use these ideas as you will.

Psion/Wilder List:

Level 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Banned Powers:
    Astral Traveler
    Ecto Protection
    Entangling Ectoplasm

Refluffed Powers:
    Astral Construct - Maybe a totem animal, manifested nightmare or other spirit. Not ectoplasm. You say ectoplasm, I say "HYA" and hit that word out of your mouth.

Crystal Shard - Rapidly shooting a rock or piece of wood at incredible speeds, not summoning magical crystal.

Level 2
    Spoiler
    Show

Banned Powers:
    Feat Leech

Refluffed Powers:
    Concealing Amphora - A cloak of mist or dust is better than ectoplasm. We're all out of ectoplasm, sadly enough.

Swarm of Crystals - I like a cloud of rough, coarse, abrasive sand, maybe a handful of pebbles or go all dramatic with a swarm of little shadowy razors. Honestly, anything but crystals. Why is it always crystals?

Level 3
    Spoiler
    Show

Banned Powers:
    Astral Caravan
    Ectoplasmic Form
    Time Hop
    Solicit Psicrystal

Refluffed Powers:
    Ectoplasmic Cocoon - Not ectoplasm. Maybe roots, maybe thrown silk strands, whatever. Not ectoplasm
    Greater Concealing Amphora - See the regular version.

Level 4
    Spoiler
    Show

Banned Powers:
    Anchored Navigation
    Metamorphosis
    Psionic Dimensional Anchor
    Psychic Reformation
    Schism
    Wall of Ectoplasm
    Quintessence

Level 5
    Spoiler
    Show

Banned Powers:
    Incarnate
    Psionic Teleport
    Teleport Trigger

Refluffed Powers:
    Ectoplasmic Shambler - Something that isn't Ectoplasm. Pick what you want.

Hail of Crystals - Not Crystal. See the other suggestions.

Level 6
    Spoiler
    Show

Banned Powers:
    Crystallize
    Mind Switch
    Psionic Banishment
    Psionic Contingency
    Temporal Acceleration

Refluffed Powers:
    Breath of the Black Dragon - It's hard to breathe acid like a dragon if there's no such thing as dragons, aside from stories.

Level 7
    Spoiler
    Show

Banned Powers:
    Fission
    Psionic Ethereral Jaunt

Refluffed Powers:
    Ultrablast - Rename it. For Pelor's sweet sake, we're not in third grade.

Level 8
    Spoiler
    Show

Banned Powers:
    Astral Seed
    Bend Reality
    Greater Psionic Teleport
    Hypercognition
    Mind Seed
    Mass Time Hop

Level 9
    Spoiler
    Show

Banned Powers:
    Affinity Field
    Apopsi
    Genesis
    Reality Revision
    Psionic Etherealness
    Psionic Metamorphosis
    Psionic Teleportation Circle
    Psychic Chirurgery
    Time Regression
    True Mind Switch

PsyWar List

Level 1
    Spoiler
    Show

Refluffed powers:
    Bite of the Wolf/Claws of the Beast: It's possible to treat these as purely mechanical changes. A hand affected by claws of the beast could look like a normal one, but still lay down the smack, for example. If you're a wild, savage animalistic warrior, never mind.

Level 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    See Psion/Wilder list.

Level 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    See Psion/Wilder list.

Level 4
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing new. See Psion/Wilder list.

Level 5
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, see the Psion/Wilder list.

Level 6
    Spoiler
    Show

Refluffed Powers:
    Form of Doom - It may be difficult, but let's try to refluff this. Step away from the fluff text, look at the actual mechanical effect and go from there. As it is, I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2012-01-02 at 04:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

If we are doing an E6 game I'm going to be one of Gnorman's classes. If not, I have dibs on a Moonblessed or Warrior-Poet.
    Wait, Moonblessed and Warlock in the same party...
    Eh, it will all work out.
    LGBTA+itP

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'll wait for my current game to finish, or die, or peter out into oblivion, or whatever, before starting a new game. Until then, we'll figure something out. Psionic banlist is proceeding apace.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Psionic Banlist is completed. Yay!

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

I need to get out of the habit of triple posting, but I need to get some other brains churning on this topic: Lycanthropy. I would like to include it to some degree, but not in the full twilight sense. Also, I don't feel like they should all be evil, or assigned an alignment based on animal form. Also, I'm not sure what mechanical version I'd like to use, as I'm not a fan of the ass-tons of LA most versions use. Finally, having were-things makes the Shifter class viable as an option, which is something I'm actually ok with.

What're your thoughts?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Dwarf in the Playground

( *stabs Twilight* )

I like that thought. I dunno about the LA part, since I'm not in the habit of futzing with that, but I love lycans, always have. I have an elven variant that I made that is roughly the same, but is slightly weaker, and has a lower LA. Shifters a la Eberron are also an option.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Shifters are a solid choice. I'm strongly considering them, actually. In the meantime, I'll search for a homebrewed theranthropy system that seems to work. Maybe hegenyokai? (sp?)

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Whoops, thought I responded to this.
    Yes, having a shifter race and maybe a class for animal shaping would be a good idea.
    And while I'm paying attention: *kicks Twilight while it's down*
    LGBTA+itP

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking about allowing wildshape rangers as that sort of thing, and probably the shifter race. I found a system for Therianthropy as a disease/curse, but I lost it... I'll keep looking.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like hengeyokai as well, they're fun. (I remember the original hengeyokai from AD&D Oriental Adventures.... good times.) Wildhsaping rangers and druids are also fun. Sadly, I can't really help you with the Theriantropy thing.

In other news, I've started reconstruction on the legends. It's slow going.

EDIT: I have an interesting suggestion, especially if you have ever read any of the Dragon magazines. Instead of a normal white elk for the Elk tribe, have you ever thought of the White Hart? I was thinking of using the White Hart as a base for the Elk tribe legend.
    Last edited by Byzantine; 2012-01-09 at 12:31 PM.

Generation 9

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

I've not read any dragons, but I know that a hart is essentially a deer, right? Is there some mechanical change, or some epic story?

EDIT: First look at my beautiful new avatar! Thanks Strawberries!

Second, look at this excellently done take on therianthropy.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2012-01-09 at 07:48 PM.