New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A complete N00bz first try at world-building...

I'm sorta disappointed, I looked at the avatar and thought somebody new had started helping...
    LGBTA+itP

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that would have been awesome , but that's just some Strawberry magic. Any opinions on the addition of Shifters as a playable race visibly indistinguishable (while not shifted, at least), from humans? I'll think up how each culture views them, and Therianthropes as a whole.

As for Soleh's religion, I plan to kinda-steal a concept from the great author Patrick Rothfuss, namely the framework his religion for his excellent setting.

Also, it's semi-official, I like southeast asian naming structures for Soleh. A lot. Greek-esque culture and architecture, Puritan American religious behavior (Burn the Witches!!), a middle-ages lust for crusading and such, but Indian and Tibetan and Thai naming.

Religious Doctrine is as follows, with out-of-scripture references in parentheses:

Way back when, in immemorial history (right after the First Ones sealed the Fogbound (Mistbound?) River), the world was dark and filled with demons, who would strike at those of good heart and wear their skins like a suit, and they kicked girls and broke puppies hearts, raped churches and burned women. Then, a Hero emerged from the eternal clouds like a beam of light (A volcano went off, a parting shot by the First People, that darkened the skies with ash and caused a famine that drove people to desperation, but that doesn't sound as good as demons). Calling himself Suraja, he hunted the demons that stalked the land with fire and iron, opening the skies to the sun wherever he wandered and raining teachers, healers and priests wherever he stayed.

As his influence spread, so did his fame, until the hunter became the prey, and an old, cunning and powerful demon began stalking him. He knew of the demon's chill intellect following him, but Suraja was more cunning yet. In accordance with his own teachings, he dug a great pit and laid it with Ash and Elder, and covered it with loose branches. He then stood before it and called the demon to him. As the demon fell into the pit, Suraja cast in a burning brand, lighting the demon along with the Ash and Elm, burning him alive. However, this demon was stronger than those Suraja had previously killed, and he struggled against the flames, threatening to climb out of the pit.

However, he forgot Suraja's profession as a blacksmith, and as the demon clawed and fought the flames, Suraja wrought a great iron wheel, taller than a man and heavy with the cold iron whose touch burns the demons. When it was ready, the fire had burned down to coals, but the Old Demon was crawling out of the pit. Gathering his hammer, Suraja smote the demon senseless and bound him to the wheel. He then rekindled the fire and threw himself into the pit, pinning the thrashing demon under his weight and that of the wheel. There he stayed until he and had both perished, burnt to ashes.

~End Scripture

Aftereffects: Powerful hero-figure/Messiah in Suraja, possibly sent by the Sun God himself... maybe he's the son of the sun? Explanation for the ash cloud and the end of the wild era it caused, which would also be when the empire was falling apart, due to a four-way civil war.

Thought to Ponder: Did the First Ones cause the eruption and ash cloud as a means of retribution, and how intelligent was it? Is it possible that it only ended once those effected ended their wars and squabbling and focused on helping one another?
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll be able to think later, once I wake up more. Was Patrick Rothfuss the guy who wrote Naming of the Wind (or some other title with words to that effect)?
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    I'll be able to think later, once I wake up more. Was Patrick Rothfuss the guy who wrote Naming of the Wind (or some other title with words to that effect)?
    The name of the wind, yeah. It's a damn good book. I just finished it a week or so ago. Now I'm reading the Mistborn series, just for you, Byz.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

There is one more book written in the trilogy, and one yet to be written. Each as large as the first. I look forward to it!
    LGBTA+itP

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    There is one more book written in the trilogy, and one yet to be written. Each as large as the first. I look forward to it!
    Yeah, me too. Any thoughts on the religion, adapted as it is?

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

Transcribed from my copy of Dragon #343:

Spoiler
    Show
    Also called white stags or elven deer, white harts live in the forests that border the mortal world and the realms of the faerie and the elves and walk freely between the two. Elven heroes are the only ones known to ride them. Female white deer are called white does; they are seen even less often than the white harts.

Those who successfully track a white hart often find adventure at the end of the trail. The deer have ways of leading pursuants to lost relatives, holy sites, great treasures and mortal danger. At least among the elves, adventurous souls always take their appearance as a good omen, while more timid elves avoid pursuing one and abandon their travels for the day as soon as they spot one.

They have an AC bonus and DR 10/magic against arrows and the like, and can planeshift to the nature-dominated planes as a swift action.

EDIT: I love the idea for the religion there. And the Mistborn series is amazing, I think you'll like it. Brandon Sanderson's world is pure gold.
    Last edited by Byzantine; 2012-01-10 at 11:29 PM.
    My schedule is fairly irregular, but I tend towards the later hours of the day.

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I like the idea for the religion. Though cribbing it completely might be a stretch.
    LGBTA+itP

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, I plan to twist it into a more Patria-esque shape. I already did some preliminary work making it fit (making the darkness a cloud of ash and tying into the history, making it a part of the heliocentric worship, making the demons a metaphor rather than things with specific DR stats and splatbooks, and a little bit of other stuff), and there's more to come. That's a rough draft. Mostly, I liked the symbol and the hero story, as I have trouble with both of those.

As for the Hart, sure, go ahead. There aren't any nature-themed planes, aside from maybe the Hedge, but that's no big deal. As for the story, feel free to include it.

If your stories turn into MLP/Twilight fanfiction (whatever its called when it's a love story between two characters from different stories, I feel like there's a name for it.), I'll probably cut you off, but feel free to include most any material you'd like, as long as it fits.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    If your stories turn into MLP/Twilight fanfiction (whatever its called when it's a love story between two characters from different stories, I feel like there's a name for it.), I'll probably cut you off, but feel free to include most any material you'd like, as long as it fits.
    That's a crossover. I checked with my friend who writes some (good) fanfiction.

So...
    How can I help now?
    LGBTA+itP

11. - Top - End - #461
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eeeeeeeeevil crossovers. Anything with Twilight is evil in my book.

Well, the reason I mentioned it is that they could, in theory, shift to the Hedge from time to time. It's just a thought.

As for you Eldest, you said you wanted to help work on the legends a while back. This is your chance, since I'm rebuilding them from scratch.
    My schedule is fairly irregular, but I tend towards the later hours of the day.

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantine View Post
    Eeeeeeeeevil crossovers. Anything with Twilight is evil in my book.

Well, the reason I mentioned it is that they could, in theory, shift to the Hedge from time to time. It's just a thought.

As for you Eldest, you said you wanted to help work on the legends a while back. This is your chance, since I'm rebuilding them from scratch.
    1. Werd. Preach it, girl.

2. Yeah, I could see that working like Rope Trick, or a dimension door type of effect. Savannah had some system for the hedge in her microsetting, I'll go take a gander over there, see if she doesn't mind us using it.

3. That's a decent idea. Also, is your winter break over? We had some minor pending edits to the map floating around, but we were going to wait until you again had access to Illustrator or something...

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

That's a decent idea. Also, is your winter break over? We had some minor pending edits to the map floating around, but we were going to wait until you again had access to Illustrator or something...
    It is, mind reminding me what you wanted changed about the map? Our school is insane and puts finals after winter break, so everyone's getting ready for those.
    LGBTA+itP

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Lessee.... That mountain range that make us the border between Sunshan and the Dotze Affariata? That could be a peninsula sinking into an archipelago.

Oh, and maybe something to identify what's water and what's not. It's not a big deal, and I can figure it out, but that would be nice.

If the Vallheim could stretch up farther, that would be great, I had vague visions of Giants in the last expanse of Canada. Maybe a land bridge between Vallheim and the landmass to the north?

Also, what is that little thing to the north? More land, I guess? Now that I think about it, there doesn't really need to be a land bridge, as long as the channel there is narrow enough to make it worth considering crossing.

Minor nitpick, but Urgals aren't limited to their own area. They're spread out across the western bits of all the nations, aside from Sunshan. But that's very minor.
    This is from a couple pages back, and no big rush. Good luck on your finals!

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

You really just wanted two changes to the shape and some reformatting. Not a big deal, I'll upload the new version later today.
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I'll keep going on the PrC's, keep looking around for good 'brew... is there really anything else left to do? Cultures and some specific place names, some stories and stuff... maybe read some Tolkein, get some inspiration on how he gave every. freaking. tree. it's own backstory and relevant historical events. Maybe not quite that much detail, but I'd like to be able to tell people about some big battlefields, that sort of thing.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

There comes a point at which you have to start coming up with descriptions for places and NPCs. It's the part where you have the least guidance in what you are doing, but also the one where a bunch of good ideas and concepts actually start to become a world.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a good point. I think I'll stick to the leadership of the countries, the clan chiefs of the Vallheim, major theo-political figures in Soleh, the leadership of the monasteries and feudal lords in Sunshan and the guildsmen, Elect Nobles and religious figures (and maybe some cult leaders) in the Affariata.

Also, all the PrC's I've found so far are up. Take a look, there's some cool stuff there.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2012-01-15 at 07:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Found a new homebrewed base class to throw into the mix. Meet the Archer, by Circle of Life. Did we need this in core or what?

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I MADE AN IMAGE TAG WORK! FINALLY!
    Spoilered because it stretched the schools super-wide computer screens, so it would be hell on anybody else. The borders aren't supposed to be in white, but I really don't want to go back and fix it now. Any more changes you want to it?
    LGBTA+itP

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I get a "HAWT DAYUM" from the congregation?

Seriously, Eldest, that looks fantastic. Thanks so much. I'll put it up front and center.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

'Lil thought...

So, the Affariata and Soleh are both pretty theocratic, with one being an outright feudalistic church-based "Republic" with new monarchs chosen at the death of a previous one by the Shining Council, and the other being a confederation of capitalistic divine-right monarchies. Now, what does organized religion love to hate? Other organized religions.

But.

Soleh is a huge agricultural power, producing wheat, meat, and other food goods, and selling them to Sunshan and the Affariata. (Sunshan makes enough to survive and be kinda self sufficient, but focuses on tobacco, teas and other fancies) Why would the Affariata and Soleh want to go to war over religion when each can claim that the other is just a tiny bit off, make a treaty to allow and limit missionaries (maybe tax them?) and focus their torches and pitchforks good-natured preaching and healing on the cults of the Old Gods of the Affariata and whatever little non-standard religions are present in Soleh?

Political interactions are fun to ponder, for me at least.

Also, finished the Well of Ascension. I accidentally the whole thing. I don't even.... But I feel like that was deliberate.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Triple post! Holler at me, canine friend.

Chain of events is as follows.
    1. See post about FR.
    2. Finally look at FR campaign setting.
    3. See bit about alphabets.
    4. Look up a translator for English to runic (Elder Futhark)
    5. Get distracted, watch a couple youtube videos.
    6. Get un-distracted, read page about meaning of Elder Futhark runes.
    7. Think it's pretty interesting.
    8. Decide to put into Patria (probably attached to the Vallheim somehow) to some degree.
    9. Ponder whether it's a fluff thing or a mechanics thing.
    10. Ask you guys.

Clarification on 9: It would be kinda cool to make a magic system that uses these somehow, but it might be better to give them to truenamers and casters and say "Here ya go, verbal components." Also, use them in divination magic, as per their original use, but just in fluff.

Thoughts?

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

I approve the political scheming, and I think if you buff and refluff the Truenamer he would work for the runes thing. It even sorta makes sense, since the runes are proto-Germanic which is the closest the European languages have to a mother tongue, except for Latin which is used to death already. Maybe everyone has a very small chance of being able to pull off level 0 Truenaming effects, basically cantrips? I'm about to pass out from fatigue right now (literally my head is wobbling, I'm not sure how I'm typing so well) but this idea may pan out. I'll work out mechanics for it once I've had some sleep.
    LGBTA+itP

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's a thought...

Allow use of a single rune 1/day for a feat, +1/day for each other runic feat you have. So, someone with three rune feats, say Uruz, Raidho and Algiz, could use each one three times a day, which would replicate the effects of a low-level spell, like Light, Detect Magic, a small bonus to a single ability score, skill check, saving throw or other thing. Or, they could be combined, like Sowilo (Healing, the Sun) and Jera (Harvest, prosperity) being like Cure Light Wounds or some such. I'd want to write out a base effect for each rune, and various specific combinations, up to maybe five or six. Sound good?

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

You might want to power up the feats. They'd suck at low levels, although the Detect Magic ones not bad at all.
    Disregard the following, I typed it before I figured out what your system meant. Unless you like my stuff, in which case by all means.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, feats are expensive and that system seems off. Maybe each [Runic] feat gives you two rune points, which can be used for various things. Like one will give you your choice of five cantrips, each of which you can activate as a standard action by spending a rune point. Then have a handful of level one spells grouped thematically for a few other [Runic] feats. Like
    LGBTA+itP

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll actually start on this system, because it's caught my fancy.

Rune Level: Number of Runic Feats, plus or minus any modifiers. Maybe Wisdom or Charisma?

Meaning: Summary of what the rune means, no mechanical effect.

Base effect: Effect of the rune if used individually, which takes a move action and requires a touch to use on an ally.

Fehu

Meaning: Social Success, Financial Income, Possessions

Base Effect: +1/Rune Level to social skills (Gather Information, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Bluff) for 1 minute/Rune Level.

Uruz

Meaning: Physical Strength, Speed and Potency, Action, Energy

Base Effect: +1/Rune Level to grapple checks for 1 minute/Rune Level.

Thurisaz

Meaning: Reactive Force, Conflict, Cleansing, Fire

Base Effect: +1/Rune Level to melee damage rolls for 1 round/Rune Level

Ansuz

Meaning: Understanding, Communication, Truth

Base Effect: Forces target to make a will save (DC 10 + scribes Rune Level) or answer truthfully to a single yes/no question.

Raidho

Meaning: Travel, Rhythm, Dance of Life.

Base Effect: +5 feet/ Rune Level to movement speed for 1 min/Rune level.

Kenaz

Meaning: Vision, Knowledge, Revelation

Base Effect: Use Detect Magic as a caster of your Rune Level.

Gebo

Meaning: Gifts, Balances, Exchanges

Base Effect: Each enemy that damages you in melee combat takes 1 damage/Rune level. This effect lasts 1 round/Rune level

Wunjo

Meaning: Joy, Comfort, Harmony

Base Effect: +1/Rune level on a single save versus a pain-based effect. This is an immediate action. You must declare your use of this ability before rolling.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2012-01-26 at 10:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

Will these be able to combind with other runes to make awesome(r) spells?

FYI, I put a link to this thread in my signature, because I finally deleted my LoC game that was dead and my sig looked too empty then. If you mind, I'll remove it.
    LGBTA+itP

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

How do you use runes? Is it like casting spells?

... like in The Witcher?!
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks Eldest, that looks great.

As for le sexy runes..

Gaining use of a rune requires a feat, of which there will be 24, eventually. You can use each rune a number of times per day equal to your Rune Level, which is the number of Runic Feats. Using a rune is a move action that requires a touch unless otherwise noted. (I like Move actions because you can, say, (Cast? Invoke? Call? Scribe? Channel?) "Verb" Uruz and make a grapple attempt in the same round.)

Runic (Words? Phrases) are likewise a move action, and require knowledge of every constituent rune, and consume a use of each constituent rune. I plan to create 2-5 combinations, and put each rune in at least a couple of those. Because of the greater feat investment, they will be proportionately more badass.

Looking forward: The rest of the Runes (Derr), and maybe a feat/ability/whatever that requires at least four other runic feats and allows you to change a single rune you know to one you don't with an hour's meditation, like Weapon Aptitude. Otherwise, someone with 7 feats at level 20 will only see less than 1/3 of all the possible runes.

As for the Witcher, it is a game I have not yet played, although I do have a PrC based off of it in the front page whitelist.