New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A complete N00bz first try at world-building...

So what comes next? Finish up the runes, I guess. I'd like to do an herbalism sub-section (Think Aragorn and the athelas) but that isn't really tied to Patria all that hard. It can wait.

Well, what do you want to see more of?
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

2. - Top - End - #632
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

How about the military forces each nation/state has?
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    They were the kings messengers that were ambushed on a road to a small town by hobgoblin raiders.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    How about the military forces each nation/state has?
    Well hi! Good to see a new face!

That sounds good. I'll get cooking on something like that. Maybe the methods of recruitment, (Draft, volunteer, feudal quota, mercenary-reliant), occurrence of nobles on the battlefield by nation, use of infantry/cavalry/other, use of magic in war, siege tactics and existing home turf fortifications, medical units and weaponry. Am I missing anything big?

4. - Top - End - #634
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well I mostly lurk but this setting and the way you have built it have given me a ton of ideas for my own games so I occasonially pop my head in and see what new awsome stuff you came up with.

At the military stuff, as far as I can tell you've mentioned the most important stuff. About the only thing more that I would add would be specific formations/units from each nation/state.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    They were the kings messengers that were ambushed on a road to a small town by hobgoblin raiders.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

Off topic a bit, but...
    Picked up Wise Man's Fear.
    SO GOOD!
    I haven't even finished the first chapter, and I came online to say that.
    LGBTA+itP

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

About the only thing more that I would add would be specific formations/units from each nation/state.
    It shall be done. I'll have some fun with this.

Off topic a bit, but...
    Picked up Wise Man's Fear.
    SO GOOD!
    I haven't even finished the first chapter, and I came online to say that.
    Hahaha, I know, right? Isn't it great! It only gets better, too.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Well hi! Good to see a new face!

That sounds good. I'll get cooking on something like that. Maybe the methods of recruitment, (Draft, volunteer, feudal quota, mercenary-reliant), occurrence of nobles on the battlefield by nation, use of infantry/cavalry/other, use of magic in war, siege tactics and existing home turf fortifications, medical units and weaponry. Am I missing anything big?
    Drops pile of books on medieval warfare on the table
    So I think that I could possible help with this, since it is my forte. Also I've been inspired by this setting and would love to explore some of the interesting side-affects of magic & warfare (like Soleh being scary in naval battles because the Red Mages have a tendency to set the other ships on fire) or looking at mercenary companies for the Dotze Affariata. Anyways, just a thought.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Huzzah! Stick around, this'll get interesting. Mind if I actually check out some of those books?

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

Welcome, new guy!

Hahaha, I know, right? Isn't it great! It only gets better, too.
    Stayed up till 12 reading, tried to fall asleep, couldn't, got the book out again, read another two hours.

So I think that I could possible help with this, since it is my forte. Also I've been inspired by this setting and would love to explore some of the interesting side-affects of magic & warfare (like Soleh being scary in naval battles because the Red Mages have a tendency to set the other ships on fire) or looking at mercenary companies for the Dotze Affariata. Anyways, just a thought.
    I would think Soleh isn't that good on water, actually, as they have not much of importance offland. But they would be well known as buying merc. and pirate loyaltys, and then putting Red Mages (of the cloth) on those ships, partly to help destroy the enemy, partly to destroy the ship if it goes renegade.
    LGBTA+itP

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Stayed up till 12 reading, tried to fall asleep, couldn't, got the book out again, read another two hours.
    My sleep schedule has yet to recover.

I would think Soleh isn't that good on water, actually, as they have not much of importance offland. But they would be well known as buying merc. and pirate loyaltys, and then putting Red Mages (of the cloth) on those ships, partly to help destroy the enemy, partly to destroy the ship if it goes renegade.
    Well, let's think about what they need to do.

Goal 1. Try to defend against Vallheimer raiders. Vallheimer longshore craft would have swept down the coast during their previous wars, raiding, pillaging, etc. It didn't stop during the Civil War, either, though it's slowed down in the previous couple generations. Also, they'd want to be strong enough to take down a longboat at sea, because the Vallheimer raiders would be a pretty significant threat on land.

Goal 2. Protect their shipping lanes. Soleh trades with all three other nations, but less with the Vallheim. They have some big ports and large cities built on them, and the majority of their trade goes through the archipelago off of Sunshan where most pirates find harbor. So, they need enough of a navy to protect their merchant vessels, whether that means a mercenary agreement or their own fleets.

So, where I think we'll land is some militia type minutemen craft in the larger fishing towns and in the harbors, with Red Mages on board to provide firepower, under a lay or clerical captain. The smaller fishing villages may just throw some archers and a priest on the biggest boat they have and send it out to try to sink the Vallheimer longboat before they can beach it.

For their merchant craft, most of which are from Maregio, they probably either hire mercenary craft or hire joint crews of one warship and one transport.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

My sleep schedule has yet to recover.
    Interesting fact: I accidentally took a lot of my most recent character, Smiling Benjamin in Zap's game, off a nicer Kvothe. And I wrote up his backstory and personality before I was reminded of the series and bought Wise Man's Fear.

Well, let's think about what they need to do.

Goal 1. Try to defend against Vallheimer raiders. Vallheimer longshore craft would have swept down the coast during their previous wars, raiding, pillaging, etc. It didn't stop during the Civil War, either, though it's slowed down in the previous couple generations. Also, they'd want to be strong enough to take down a longboat at sea, because the Vallheimer raiders would be a pretty significant threat on land.

Goal 2. Protect their shipping lanes. Soleh trades with all three other nations, but less with the Vallheim. They have some big ports and large cities built on them, and the majority of their trade goes through the archipelago off of Sunshan where most pirates find harbor. So, they need enough of a navy to protect their merchant vessels, whether that means a mercenary agreement or their own fleets.

So, where I think we'll land is some militia type minutemen craft in the larger fishing towns and in the harbors, with Red Mages on board to provide firepower, under a lay or clerical captain. The smaller fishing villages may just throw some archers and a priest on the biggest boat they have and send it out to try to sink the Vallheimer longboat before they can beach it.

For their merchant craft, most of which are from Maregio, they probably either hire mercenary craft or hire joint crews of one warship and one transport.
    Good point, I forgot they use so much trade. They would need at least a coastal defense fleet. Fleet being a loose term.
    LGBTA+itP

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting fact: I accidentally took a lot of my most recent character, Smiling Benjamin in Zap's game, off a nicer Kvothe. And I wrote up his backstory and personality before I was reminded of the series and bought Wise Man's Fear.
    I kinda borrowed the Edema Ruh for Fox Clan. Call it a wash

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

I kinda borrowed the Edema Ruh for Fox Clan. Call it a wash
    Because a clan of what amounts to nomads is completely unique to the Kingkiller, never been seen before...
    [/sarcasm]

So back to the naval powers (heheh, naval), Valheim obviously has a amazing navy, since they are kinda Vikings. What of the other two? I seem to remember the Sunshani had big island cities of towers, so they probably are at least a small naval power. What of the Dotze?
    WOOOOOO! First time I didn't have to check on the names of the nations.
    LGBTA+itP

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

So back to the naval powers (heheh, naval), Valheim obviously has a amazing navy, since they are kinda Vikings. What of the other two? I seem to remember the Sunshani had big island cities of towers, so they probably are at least a small naval power. What of the Dotze?
    WOOOOOO! First time I didn't have to check on the names of the nations.
    The Vallheim has some islands under their command and some rich fishing, so their lack of seagoing trade wouldn't be a significant factor limiting their shipbuilding capacity. Not terribly advanced, though, with lots on longboats and such.

Sunshan's hold on the islands is fairly loose, and plenty of pirates live in that area. They have a pretty limited fleet of junk-type ships (because they just look that cool), enough to hold the straits between the mainland and the archipelagos safe enough for merchant ships.

The Dotze Affariata is full of merchant craft, and is the home port of the majority of the mercenary fleets. Maregio, in particular, is a large port. The Prince and the royal family own vast merchant fleets that operate up and down the coast. They have so many it's sometimes cheaper to hire a Maregian ship to carry your cargo than do it yourself.

So, Vallheim is strong but limited to longshore raids, Soleh is defensive and tries to keep the lanes safe, Sunshan is limited and defensive, and the Dotze Affariata is dominant and spans most of the known world.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2012-04-04 at 03:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

I think we have the navies pretty well in hand. Shall we take a look at the armies, then?

Note that this will spill over into the social structure a little bit. Can't avoid it.

Same style as always, North-South.

Vallheim

Note about the Vallheim Clan structure: Each clan has a role, yes, Beavers build, Horses ride, Doves heal, etc., but there's nothing like a social rule saying a Boar can't be a musician or a Bear can't be a merchant. It's uncommon, but not impossible.

Methods of Recruitment:

The during times of peace, it is a tradition built during the hundred years of Civil War that each Godhi (leader of a settlement or town) would have a picked band of Hirdmen, or his household troops. This would be full-time professional warriors, supported by the town. They would be used to form the veteran core of an army, and to keep the roads safe and such. During the attack by giants and fey creatures in King Brenyn's grandfather's time (He used the threat of the Long Winter (I'll do a post on that later) to unite the warring clans against a common enemy), a royal decree demanded a quota of troops from each clan. This was mostly volunteers, though the method of recruitment was left up to each Clan Chief.

Nobles on the Battlefield:

It is expected that each Godhi of a town will fight in times of need, barring injury or age. Clan Chiefs, the closest thing to a Vallheim noble, are also frequently strong warriors. Those of Bear, Horse and the more warlike clans are often the first over the wall, or those leading the charge. However, nobody expects Brynhild Frostbearer of Dove Clan to fight in a shield wall when she could be healing the fallen. In short, there's no rule that says a leader must fight, but those that don't ut of cowardice don't stay leaders for long.

Troop Breakdown:

The majority of the Vallheimers prefer to fight on foot. However, Horse Clan has some excellent cavalry, though not as heavy as the Solerian Priest-Knights. Hawk, Fox and Wolf Clans also frequently join cavalry units.

Use of Magic in War:

The Vallheim's use of magic in war is often rather subtle. They don't go for the walls of flame that the Solerian Dawnbringers can call up. During the Long Winter, when the Greywash that seperated the northern reaches of the Vallheim from the land of the Giants froze over and the inhuman spirits of ice and death swept over the land, Brenyn's grandfather organized a great circle of wise men and women, powerful shamans, singers of the old songs and rusescribes to strengthen the men and bring an early dawn to drive the demons back. This is a remarkably overt use of magic, and most is much more subtle. Think drawing runes on a Elk Clan warrior's sword-arm in the blood of an elk he killed to make him hit true, not casting Time Stop and dropping Arcane Thesis'd Maximized Vitriolic Energy Substitutioned Force Spheres.

Siege Tactics and Existing Fortifications:

After a hundred years of civil war, the Vallheim is pretty big on having defensible homes. Almost all settlements have a wall, log or stone, with a platform on top for archers, and those that don't at least have a log palisade.

If you happen to know what this is, the Murus Gallicus (sp?) is a common sight at more developed locales. It's essentially a Lincoln-log type rectangular wall, with a hollow core, made of the biggest logs one can find (and the Vallheimers have some big ones) horizontally on the outside, with saplings woven vertically, and plaster on the surface. Rocks, rubble and other such crap is dumped in the middle, ideally with concrete, making an almost padded, semiflexible outside with a hard stone core. This would be what protected the large cities and such.

During a seige, Vallheimers tend to make a shield tortoise formation, with magical support, and wheel up battering rams. They're also amenable to making trebuchets, if they have the Beaver Clan engineers to help them.

Medical Units:

You may see a Dove Clan healer for every sixty men in a field army, preventing the loss of too many troops to dysentery and patching up the wounded. The Vallheim places a higher priority on the health and survival of its troops than most other countries.

Weaponry:

The Vallheim uses a variety of weapons for personal defense, but favors a few on the battlefield.

Large, heavy, round shields are common in a Vallheimer army, as they are crucial in forming a shield wall. A row of overlapping shields and spears, backed up by axes and swords, is the basis of the Vallheim war line. Such lines are often deployed with two or three spears apiece, one or two to throw and one to form the wall.

Archers are also valued, though Vallheim society favored the "cold steel" as a means of proving ones bravery.

Shock troops, often deployed under cover to launch a surprise flank attack, frequently eschew shields, choosing instead throwing spears and a large, generally two-handed weapon. Some instead favor two weapons, such as a handaxe and sword

Horses are generally used as mounts to battle, draft, and beasts of burden. However, the Horse Clan's cavalry charges are often devastating when applies carefully, and the increased mobility makes Hawk Clan scouts much more effective.

Formations:

The Vallheim focuses on three major formations.

One is the Shield Wall, with a line of warriors armed with spears and shields setting them to overlap. This is the main battle line of the armies.

Another is the wedge, generally use to penetrate shield walls. Two men in front, three behind them, five behind them, etc. Once a shield wall is breached, it will generally devolve into a melee.

Lastly is the "AAAAGH FOR NARNIA AND ASLAN" style charge. This is generally a flank attack or one to be used against unprepared opponents, as Shield Walls were designed to render this and light cavalry charges ineffective. Those who have distinguished themselves for bravery in this setting are to be granted a shirt of bearskin to wear as a token of their bravery. (Bear Shirt => Bear Sark => Bearsark => Berserk)

Battlefield Communication:

Most communication on the battlefield is done by horn. The location of commanders is marked by flags with the symbol of their clans. Long-distance messages are sent by Raven Clan riders of horse or giant ravens, or sent by bird.

Discipline:

Discipline in a Vallheim army is not as strict as, say, a Dotze Affariata mercenary company. Most warriors are loyal to their Godhi who leads them, but every once in a great while, one needs to break a head. This big dog-little dog style of settling disputes in rather effective in their society.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2012-04-06 at 09:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Just thought I'd let you know that I mentioned you over at my Blackwood setting thread. Specifically, I'd love to borrow/take inspiration from your Rune stuff that you've been working on. It's pretty radical, and it would fit perfectly with one of the Blackwood's neighboring regions.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, goody. You found Sunnyway, I told you about the Elder Futhark's niceties. It makes a really interesting cultural touch, I think. Plunder away, it's all yours.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, edits done in the Vallheim for battlefield communication and discipline.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

After reading through a few Rune Magic websites this weekend, have you thought about classifying the various rune feats according to their real-world aetts? That is, the first 8 runes on the list are "beginner" runes that focus on fairly specific things, the second 8 are more powerful versions of the preceding rune with a more general sphere of influence, and the last 8 are the penultimate iterations, with an even broader sphere of influence.

For example: Thurisaz could be a rune that grants a bonus vs. one particular enemy. Isa (the associated rune in the second aett) could grant a stronger bonus, and/or a bonus vs. all enemies of that type (for instance, giants). Finally, Ehwaz is the fulfillment of this grouping, and signifies calling on divine aid. Maybe it's a substantial bonus vs. all of your enemies? Because of its association with the group/society, maybe it grants a bonus to all of your allies, too?

This would require a fair bit of restructuring of the system, so if you decide to stick with what you've got I totally understand. I'm also not convinced that mine is a terribly good idea. They could form 8 feat trees of three feats each under my idea. It would discourage being a jack-of-all-trades, but I'm really not a fan of feat trees.

They could be taken willy-nilly, but certain runes could be augmented by knowing certain other runes. The problem here is that, first, this is still basically a feat tree, just without the mandatory elements. Second, it's not very elegant, which I tend to favor in game design.
    Last edited by Zap Dynamic; 2012-04-09 at 03:19 PM.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

I was going to do Soleh, but I'm going to run a Solo game for NeoSeraphi set in Patria, specifically Sunshan, so I'll get some more stuff fleshed out for there.

Sunshan

Methods of Recruitment:

This will be a common theme, but nobles are expected to maintain a well-trained professional force of armed warriors, most of whom are equipped much like the Western interpretation of Samurai.

Toeri are also sometimes impressed into service, generally with little enthusiasm, when the local defense requires it. They are, however, banned from carrying weapons outside of military service.

Nobles on the Battlefield:

Unlike Soleh and the Vallheim, nobles are but rarely expected to serve on the battlefield. Generalship is provided by members of the Empress's household, though the post is open to the rare young man who wishes to pursue it. In short, the dirty, undignified sport of warfare is left to those without the proper breeding to know just how undignified it truly is.

Troop Breakdown:

Sunshani samurai sometimes ride into combat, but frequently warfare is conducted on foot. Having not fought any major cavalry powers or such in recent history, the horse is primarily used to place a samurai on a level where he can strike effectively at a Goliath's head, though a tight mass of Torei infantry armed with spears can accomplish a similar feat.

Use of Magic in War:

Sunshan's use of magic is not exactly the most organized. Whereas the Vallheim has wise men and women who are called upon in times of war to help, and Soleh's political, religious, military and magical organization is the same, magic in Sunshan has two major roles.

One, illusions and such trickery for the entertainment of the nobles by court jesters and such, making music with Ghost Sound and stage effects with Dancing Lights.

Two, practical magic for the benefit of the Torei. Old healers, wise women who know the old songs to bring rain in a drought and to make babies be born strong and healthy, that sort of thing. The nobles would never dream of applying their magics to warfare, as they would not make their personal jesters and entertainers ride off to battle.

As such, their magical influence on the battlefield is rather limited.

Siege Tactics and Existing Fortifications:

Sunshani nobles, preferring their own comfort to safety in war, frequently have both an estate and a nearby castle. When a threat emerges, they flee to their castle, which is rarely a significant fortification, and rely on their field armies to keep them safe.

Medical Units:

A nobles samurai are sure to bring a doctor, probably trained in the Dotze Affariata, with them, and some Torei will probably be able to stitch a wound or set a bone. There is little institutionalization of medical care for the Torei, though.

Weaponry:

Most nobles will own a sword of some description, though it is very rude to wear one into court, and few know how to use it.

Other weapons are the purview of the samurai. Besides the ever-popular sword, weapons such as steel-bound greatclubs, polearms and great big huge massive longbows.

For the more secretive and black-clad of noble troops, throwing knives, poisoned darts, throwing stars, weighted chains and other subtle weapons are favored.

For Torei infantry, who are banned from any formal weapons training, spears are a frequent sight. They are occasionally issued crossbows as well, though a nobles household samurai are excellent archers.

Formations:

The most common formation of Torei infantry is a single, huddled mass, with spears bristling out in all directions.

Mounted Samurai generally make strafing attacks on enemy forces with longbows, then with sword or polearm. Eventually, once the battle is a true melee, they dismount and fight on foot.

Battlefield Communication:

In general, messengers with flags and banners do the majority of communication on the battlefield.

Discipline:

A nobles household samurai are excellently well-disciplined.

The Torei are another matter.

In many cases, the Torei know that if they turn and flee, the swords of the Samurai will be upon them. They are driven forward mostly by the thoughts of their families behind them and the swords waiting for them if they turn and run. This is, needless to say, perhaps not the best state for a man's morale.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    After reading through a few Rune Magic websites this weekend, have you thought about classifying the various rune feats according to their real-world aetts? That is, the first 8 runes on the list are "beginner" runes that focus on fairly specific things, the second 8 are more powerful versions of the preceding rune with a more general sphere of influence, and the last 8 are the penultimate iterations, with an even broader sphere of influence.

For example: Thurisaz could be a rune that grants a bonus vs. one particular enemy. Isa (the associated rune in the second aett) could grant a stronger bonus, and/or a bonus vs. all enemies of that type (for instance, giants). Finally, Ehwaz is the fulfillment of this grouping, and signifies calling on divine aid. Maybe it's a substantial bonus vs. all of your enemies? Because of its association with the group/society, maybe it grants a bonus to all of your allies, too?

This would require a fair bit of restructuring of the system, so if you decide to stick with what you've got I totally understand. I'm also not convinced that mine is a terribly good idea. They could form 8 feat trees of three feats each under my idea. It would discourage being a jack-of-all-trades, but I'm really not a fan of feat trees.

They could be taken willy-nilly, but certain runes could be augmented by knowing certain other runes. The problem here is that, first, this is still basically a feat tree, just without the mandatory elements. Second, it's not very elegant, which I tend to favor in game design.

Eeeehhh.... Well, I feel like this a really cool idea, but it would also get in the way of what I have planned for the Phrases. Yeah, +1 to attack is lame, but calling upon your ancestors heroism to make yourself the size of a giant, summon a weapons forged of starlight and have a breath weapon of the frozen north is pretty cool, and that's what's coming.

Be patient! It'll get better!

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow... how do the Sushan win any battles? Numbers?
    LGBTA+itP

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that and having a large leisure class that supports a large cadre of professional troops. The samurai (I'm considering giving them another name) are really, really good fighters, like on par with Solerian Janissary-type knights.

Plus, who's going to attack them? The Vallheim is too far away and doesn't want to, Soleh likes them because they buy Sunshani cotton and tobacco, the Dotze Affariata is too busy with infighting, even ignoring all their economic ties. That leaves the Goliaths, small raiding bands (15-30 warriors, about half the number of samurai a minor noble supports) in the lightly populated western parts.

Now, this is all deliberate. I know Sunshan looks a little gimped and I did that on purpose. Sunshan isn't going to fight any wars of conquest because they're simmering a civil war that's getting ready to boil over. I want the wars to be fought between the Torei/monasteries and the nobility, not between Sunshan and Soleh or whatever. Having their military be structured like this is, I think, the most conducive to supporting a story of this type.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

By giving them no foreign enemies, you're taking away a lot of the potential for Sunshan to have such a capable military.

I get the impression that Goliath raids don't require much more than a few dozen people, and even facing a half dozen giant, screaming men is far different from facing disciplined ranks.

Japan had legendary warriors mainly because China and Korea liked to invade, and when they weren't invading the shoguns were fighting with each other. Maybe civil wars have been a problem in the past? Even if its the distant past, that still gives Sunshan a great reason to have a strong military.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, one of the side effects of having a noble class that spends a lot of time in petty squabbles is that it occasionally boils over into skirmishes.

Also, being able to support a large group of samurai is a status symbol, and status is what they spend their days trying to accumulate.

The Goliath raids, bandit supression and infighting, along with the warrior culture of the samurai, are sufficient to ensure that their military is competent enough to do what it needs to do.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Wyntonian asked me to do some work on the Dotze Affariata for him. So here's my idea of their military set-up. Feel free to comment, criticize, or correct any errors you see.

Dotze Affariata

Methods of Recruitment:

There are two distinct groups from which the Dotze Affariata draws their soldiers. The first is the ubiquitous mercenary companies, ranging from the stately Condotta to the tavern-dwelling Bravos. These mercenaries are primary means of settling disputes between cities and only rarely do the cities resort to the second source. The Hermandades, or Brotherhoods, are communal military groups formed amongst the various Guilds of the cities. Drawn from amongst the artisan & craftsmen, they train together to defend the city. Only in times of desperation would a city resort to calling on the Hermandades.

Nobles on the Battlefield

Leadership of the Dotze Affariata’s armies comes from a cadre of hardened veteran soldiers, usually born into the Elect. Many of the mercenary companies are themselves financed and even led by a member of the Elect. In all respects these men behave in a civilized manner to each other, relying on the offer of ransoms to keep their precious hides intact. When forced to take the field in defense of their city they will invariably fight either as mounted knights or on fought in the front ranks of the infantry squares.

Troop Breakdown

The building block of the Hermandades is the simple pikemen. Clad in anything from leather jerkin to half-plate armor, these hardy men carry 15’ pikes into battle, backed up with a suitable short sword or dagger and buckler. Supporting them are the Polearmsmen & Halberdiers who trade the unwieldy pike for a variety of staff weapons. Those with less means will muster in as crossbowmen and clad in whatever protection they can scrape together.
    These same classes of soldier are found amongst the Empresas Viejos, the Old Companies, veteran mercenaries who form the core of any Dotze Affariata Army. These veterans are proud, stubborn, and invariably brave. They rarely retreat and will fight on even if the rest of the army has fled in the name of honor. However, they’re quick to mutiny if not paid in full and on time.
    Then there are the Bravos. These swaggering youths come from all walks of life. Equipped in a variety of gear they invariably carry a sword, dagger, buckler & crossbow. Fighting in loosely organized companies they can fulfill a number of tasks, from hunting Gnomes in the swamps to storming the breach in a siege. This almost insane bravery comes at a price. They are unruly, disorganized, prone to rapine and pillage, and tend to melt away if nothing interesting happens. Their companies are often led by the younger sons of the Elect eager to win glory on the field.
    But the cream-de-la-cream of the Dotze Affariata is the Lanzas Spezzate, or Broken Lances. The answer to Soleh’s Priest-Knights, they fight from horseback with lance and sword while wearing the finest armor money can buy. Invariably these wealthy lesser nobles are prone to squabble and are inherently arrogant. Supporting these men-at-arms are simple lancers, clad in half-plate and carrying a lighter lance, sword and crossbow. They do the undignified tasks of scouting and raiding the nobles would rather avoid.
    Several of the cities raise unique units. For example Maregio has several companies of Marines, veteran soldiers equipped with lightweight plate and equipped in Bravos style with sword, buckler & crossbow to fight aboard ship. Llanca maintains its own ‘Ordinance’ of professional, full-time soldiers drawn from the Lanzas Spezzate and Empresas Viejos to combat the Goliaths and rival cities.

Use of Magic in Warfare

[Don’t know enough, Wyntonian can fill this part in]

Siege Tactics & Existing Fortifications

The Dotze Affariata has made building fortifications an art form. Every city has a strong curtain wall and many sport outlying forts. Thus campaigns generally bog down into either lengthy sieges or long marches as two armies march around from fort to fort without actually fighting. When besieging the Affariata rely on their powerful siege engines to bombard the walls while workers undermine the walls and the common soldier sits in a trench or behind a palisade waiting for the other side to starve to death. Since this is both costly and uneventful most wars end in stalemates thus leading to further conflicts in the future.

Medical Units

The various Medical Colleges and the Priesthood all provide trained doctors & nurses to tend to the wounded. Any veteran mercenary company will have at least one healer to tend to the wounded. [Further elaboration by others would be appreciated]

Weaponry

The common sword in the Cities is a simple, straight-bladed double-sided sword with either a simple cross-hilt or complicated basket-hilt. Some Bravos carry rapiers, as these are popular for dueling amongst the wealthier portions of society. Everybody else is happy with a variety of daggers to settle petty disputes.
    Added to this are pike, halberd, and crossbow. The crossbow is the national weapon of the Dotze Affariata and has almost attained perfection under the careful constructions of the Affariata’s artisans. Quick to reload thanks to a powerful crank (think like a car-jack) and powerful they are the only ranged weapon used by the Dotze Affariata.
    The Affariata also rely on light-weight field pieces, particularly ballistas hurling 7’ iron bolts or six-pound roughly spherical stones.

Formations

The Hermandades & Empresas Viejos are recruited in companies of ~200 men. In the Hermandades the breakdown is 40% Pike, 10% Polearm, and 50% Crossbow. In the Empresas Viejos it’s more like 60% Pike, 10% Polearm, and 30% Crossbow. Either way they assume a rectangular formation with the Pikemen & Polearmsmen in the center with two ‘sleeves’ of Crossbowmen on either side. Several such ‘squadrons’ will be deployed in a checker-board formation at the center of the army with field artillery interspersed.
    The Bravos fight either in a loose skirmish line or as loose clusters on the edges of the main squadrons. The Lanzas Spezzerte will deploy their Lancers on the flanks and concentrate the Men-at-Arms into a deep column behind the line to function as the reserve.

Battlefield Communication

Amongst the Squadrons trumpets & drums provide the commanders with communication. Each Squadron will boast a variety of flags denoting each company/guild present & the commander’s coat-of-arms. These are grouped at the center of the square. Orders between units are carried by couriers, either mounted specialists or Bravos volunteers (after all, each order successfully delivered means a few more coins at the end of the day). Flags are also used if the dust from all the men & horses isn’t too great.

Discipline

As mentioned before, the Dotze Affariata’s armies are a patchwork of different soldiers. The Empresas Viejos are unyielding and so highly disciplined they can withstand continuous bombardment for hours without breaking. The Hermandades will stand firm if motivated but may crumble if they think they fight’s hopeless. The arrogant Lanzas Spezzerte’s Men-at-Arms will also stand firm, if only out of a sense of personal honor. The lowborn Lancers may very well turn tail if they view the battle as unwinnable. And of course, the impetuous Bravos will keep fighting no matter what if properly motivated. However, many are not above taking a bribe to switch sides during a battle if things start going bad for their city.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah... Reasoner's pretty excellent at this sort of thing. Thanks very much, bro. I appreciate it.

Use of Magic in Warfare

Magic, for this purpose, is rather loosely defined.

The Dotze Affariata has a sadly low proportion of combat spellcasters. Illusionists and Enchanters are not terribly uncommon in cities, but few pursue any internal or spiritual sort of magic.

However, semimagical artificers and artisans are a somewhat more common sight. Men and women who use magic not inherent to themselves or another being instead find it in the natural world. Sygaldry, sympathetic magic and other uncommon arts are refined at the Universities, and some who understand the principles find their way into military service. However, it is rarely applied by a general to any truly impressive effect.

In short, much like Sunshan, magic is more frequently used in domestic matters than in armed conflict.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, tough crowd. Any feedback? Questions? Things you guys would like to contribute?

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

I like?
    No suggestions, I think it's all good. Please keep going onward!
    Here's that map I did a while ago, again. It seems to have broken.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Eldest; 2012-04-15 at 01:36 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

I like?
    No suggestions, I think it's all good. Please keep going onward!
    Here's that map I did a while ago, again. It seems to have broken.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Onward and upward it is.

Also, thanks for doing that map! This was my reaction, pretty much.

So, Zap. I like the map in the general sense, but I have some specifics, most of which are changes made only after the map was done. I'll lay out the big ones.

For one, we decided that the areas currently labeled "wild lands" no longer exist, remember? The First People literally carried the land away? The fog is a barrier between the spirit realm and the mortal realm, so the river that flows from Vallheim to the Dotze should also try to find it's way west of the mountains. Everything west of the river, well, doesn't exist.

Also, it would be nice to see the mountains on the border with Sunshan schooched north just a tad. The archipelago is nice, but if you plan to color things based on governing nation, they're in Sunshan's hands.

I like the idea of islands north of the Vallheim, but let's make some of the bigger ones connected to the mainland.

I'll do something about terrain types soonish, but that's a start. Thanks so much to both of you!