New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A complete N00bz first try at world-building...

Well, you know my artistic ability. I'll let you decide if that counts or not.
    LGBTA+itP

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Well, you know my artistic ability. I'll let you decide if that counts or not.
    Have you ever done any landscapes? I'm thinking a drawing instead of a map. I think it would capture the layout of the city better.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, once or twice, but it wasn't that good. I'm not the best artist by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps browse DA for good pictures?
    LGBTA+itP

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

Thing is, the geography of Marregio is pretty specific. Remember the Fogbound river? As it goes south, it joins some other waterways and forms a big lake, about the size of Lake Huron. Look at the map in the OP, see the lake in the bottom left? Marregio is right at the mouth of that river, split across either bank. A spiked chain runs across it, allowing the Prince to tax maritime traffic.

One shore is the "low" side, the Arbor district, slums, warehouses and other stuff would be over there. The other is the "high" district, with the Prince's palace, the university, etc.

Now, believe it or not, not too many people have drawn cities to those specifications. Lots of cool paintings of Paris and the Rockies, though .

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    Can anyone here draw, by any chance? I've tried sketching out Marregio, but it's not working out to well, and all my artistic friends are too busy . I can describe it here or in a PM if you'd like.
    I'd offer to make a map of the city... but I'm awful at city maps.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ettin in the Playground

I can draw. I'm pretty confident I'd be able to do a city map, or a landscape of a city, if you needed me to.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

7. - Top - End - #907
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, this is where everyone went. This is what I get for focusing too much. I would say I could draw it, but I honestly don't have a scanner. 'Sides, Wombat is probably better at it than me. And now, to catch up.

Quality work, everyone.
    My schedule is fairly irregular, but I tend towards the later hours of the day.

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

This, and ideas don't grow on trees. You got some of my better ones. I've got one more to add, in a sec.
    LGBTA+itP

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry about my absence, I recently had a death in the family and it somehow came about that my parents and I were to be the responsible ones. Dunno how that happened.

Anyway, city-texturing in proceeding apace, mostly in the back of school notebooks. I'm also coordinating with the Reasoner to do some military history things.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I'm sorry for the death in the family. Not sure what you mean by your parents and you being blamed for it, but sounds like that sucks too.
    LGBTA+itP

11. - Top - End - #911
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. I sincerely hope that everything goes well. If you meant what I think, I hope that the costs of the funeral won't set you and your family too badly off.
    My schedule is fairly irregular, but I tend towards the later hours of the day.

Generation 9
    The first time you see this in a signature, put it in your own signature and add one to the number. This is a social experiment.

Complete Homebrew:
    Soulless Template

12. - Top - End - #912
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, holy christ that came out wrong. Oops oops oops. It was my step-grandfather (the only one I've ever known, he taught me to fish and hunt and garden and cook and everything) who passed, my grandmother is heartbroken and my parents and I are responsible for making all the necessary arrangements, so I'll be pretty busy for the next week or so with that.

Honestly, the guy was an 84-year-old Vietnam veteran who'd fought off three different types of cancer. It wasn't exactly out of the blue.

Thanks for your support, by the way!

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ogre in the Playground

So sorry to hear about your loss, man. My thoughts (and May the Force) be with you.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

That indicates a much more healthy family dynamic than it sounded like at first. Still, I'm sorry that he died.
    LGBTA+itP

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Here we go, themes and threats of some major cities.

Marregio (Biggest port of the Dotze Affariata)
    Themes: City on the Sea ; Schools of Sky and Seas, [Something else, it's not coming to me]
    Threats: Poverty and Desperation ; Crime Families Rule Here ; Cults Don't Die Quietly.

Llanca (Small, militarized city of the Dotze Affariata)
    Themes: Impenetrable City of Walls ; We Control the Mountain Passes ; Metalworking Is In Our Blood.
    Threats: Oppressive Government ; Attacked by Goliaths.

Marcelena (Head of the Affariatan Church and diplomatic hub)
    Themes: Where The Rich and Powerful Gather; Homeland of the Nameless Prophet ; Precarious Balance of Power.
    Threats: Don't Piss Off the Holy Service ; What You Know Can Kill You.

Murenholm (Capital of the Vallheim)
    Themes: The Great War Never Ended, Gathering of the Clans, The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.
    Threats: Peace is Tenuous, The Wild Encroaches, Soleh Wants Us Dead.

More are incoming, and I'll do Faces and Places as well.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

I really like this streamlined approach to the different places! It's very accessible.

I'm a huge sucker for a bunch of flavor text (says the guy who's written his own fables for his setting ), but I think it's a great idea to cut right to the chance for the benefit of the GM at the table. Not only does it give vital structure to the setting, but it gives room for the GM to provide his or her own details.
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll certainly do a bunch of flavor text when I get around to it (the fifth of Someday), but for now I'd rather get my ideas as defined as possible. If people want to throw together some Faces or Places, you're more than welcome to. Pick a Theme or Threat, and come up with a person or place that represents it.

I'm also going to start doing some cultural stuff on top of the cities, in particular the lore of the Vallheim clans, the church of Soleh and the culture of Sunshan. The latter will be shamelessly stolen from the book Under Heaven, by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's good. Read it.

Let's start with Badger Clan, the builders and craftsmen of the Vallheim.
    Spoiler
    Show
    After Elder War, when the armies of Tiber Gaios Asteri swept the Elder Folk out of the world, there was a period of great darkness. Mountains erupted, belching out smoke and fumes that covered the sky, the Goliath waged wars of conquest against those humans who didn't die of starvation or in the incessant civil wars.

The one sanctuary for the refugees of this violence was in the North. Under the great Shaman Aeodotus Turambar, First King of the Vallheim, all those who fled the suffering of the south could find a home. Under his rule, eleven great leader arose, drawing the refugees together into the Clans of today.

One of these clans was first lead by Balkr Tundo. He lead the construction of the fortifications and early castles that kept the Vallheimers safe from attacks and weather in the early years. His greatest strength, however, was his skill as a smith. Over his years as clan chief, he created seven great artifacts, weapons and armor both, that he wielded in battle to great effect.

One day, he left to hunt down a great beast, some twisted and nameless being that lurked the Elder Wood, and never returned. His seven artifacts were lost, scattered across Patria.

Since that day, the people of Badger Clan have had a position in their ranks dedicated to tracking down and recovering the artifacts of Balkr Tundo, searching through ancient scrolls, traveling into ancient ruins and finding old legends to find some clue as to where they lay.

So far, of the seven, only the spear and cloak have been found. The spear is said to be tipped with the tooth of a dragon, and strikes like a thunderbolt, shearing metal in a blast of heat. The cloak is made of metallic scales and renders the wielder immune to flames. Five others, the helm, sword, shield, boots and belt remain lost.

If anyone gets the Very Potter Musical reference I will love you till the day you die.
    I didn't catch it until I was most of the way done. Hufflepuff's mascot is the badger, and they're described as being excellent "finders". What does their most honored position do? Find things. I honestly didn't plan that.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds great! I really enjoy that you basically created a Dungeon Delver prestige class just then. Fantasy Indiana Jones!
    Playing:

My DeviantArt.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

As a sign of how long it's been since I thought about this, ya might want to name the four nations and give a brief description in the first post. I forgot the fourth one completely.
    LGBTA+itP