New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A complete N00bz first try at world-building...

yeah....I'm a little fuzzy on how that actually works. maybe we could just say "takes half the time to create any weapons or armor, magical or otherwise"? with that bonus, as well as the fluff, who wouldn't take the appropriate craft feats?
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I don't actualy play 3.5...
    I have the PHB and DMG, though. I'll see if there is something relevent in one of those.
    EDIT: the rule seems to be 1 day per 1000gp the magic item costs. And a simple +1 sword is 1,350gp. So not a huge deal at low levels, but a big timesaver later (a +10 equivilant would cost 200,000gp. Enjoy sitting there for half a year, I'm gonna wander off and level up).
    And I think that works well, cuz it's mostly fluff but could come up in a pinch.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2011-06-26 at 10:03 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

I think so too, and that "fluff-based minor bonus" theme fits of the other three. Considering as these are mostly full casters, I feel like I'm close to done, at least done enough to make a thread of the work we've done to date.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok...Now I have a big decision to make. I know I said that I was going to make pretty much all ToB content available only to high-level characters who want to go on a big quest and find that temple. However... I really, really like ToB, and some of the Age of Warriors disciplines are, frankly, awesome. My huge decision is, now, whether to allow ToB content as a starting-level option with some customizability (word?), as it applies to disciplines, as well as incorporating some ACF's to martial adept-ize some non-ToB classes (Martial Ranger, Monk, etc.) I like the ability of being able to choose a class for fluff, then a variety of ACF's for mechanics, but I don't want to jeopardize balance. What are your thoughts?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

What is your problem with ToB? Just curious.
    LGBTA+itP

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't have a problem with ToB. I love the hell out of it. But I don't want all the players to skip over Fighter, Ranger, paladin (don't actually care about that one), Rogue and Monk, for the three ToB classes, which at the time, I found restrictive with only nine fighting styles. I thought to fix this by making it so that level 9-10 ish characters could make it across the river to the Temple, and "trade in" their class levels for the same number of martial adept levels. I'm now leaning more towards using Jirku's awesome fighter fix, which brings fighters up close-ish to a warblade or such, and allowing a lot of martial variants to regular classes, like ranger, and also allowing a bunch of homebrewed disciplines. I like this second idea more.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

All of his stuff is cool. Are you going to use his casters too?
    LGBTA+itP

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

I considered it, but I already have the mages. It's still a back-burner option though. Right now my focus is on clearing up ToB once and for all -- To make it an entry-level option with plenty of customizability right next to Jirku's fighter, or to make it possible only at great effort.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it would work more as a entry level thing, because his fighter is really flexible, but it's only one class. Maybe say it's the commander (for the party-wide buffs) and have the others there too. And have the prestige classes be a pain to get into, so you can still have the PCs strive for something.
    LGBTA+itP

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

That work pretty well. Now, I'd like to consolidate this into a single thread/post, but I'm not sure what still needs to be done. I'm working on refluffing some vestiges for the refluffed binders from the wotc community forums, and it's taking FOREVER.... I'm still in the level fours. it hurts. Anyway, I'm wondering what else I need to polish up before this becomes a legitimate setting.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Details on some of the bigger countries? Some pointers for DMs for what sort of adventure they might want to add? A starting adventure (probably overkill...)? Lots of stuff could get added.
    LGBTA+itP

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

I've found I really like writing up adventure hooks and mini-plots. I have a level of detail for most of the large countries around here somewhere, but I can always write up some recent history to explain why things are like they are.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

I look forward to reading it all.
    LGBTA+itP

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Right now I'm going through the vestiges found here and refluffing those that I can save fluff-wise, and ignoring those that I can't. I'll use the salvageable ones as spirits (ancestor or otherwise) for the binders of this world to, well, bind, and put that in the final post. I'm currently about in level four, so if someone could start at level nine and work down, that would be great. I'm looking to make these vestiges less lovecraftian, so no "horribly tortured twisted forgotten gods of doom and evil and madness and ugliness and kicking puppies", but rather regular old people who did interesting/meaningful things, and continue on as spirits. Here's a couple examples, as well as the original vestige for comparison.

Spoiler
    Show

Alryn, the Red Smith
    Legend: Alryn was once a man who held two jobs: He was both a Red Mage and a great armorsmith, who forged the suit of plate that the king of Soleh wears into battle even now. Late in his years, when he could no longer raise a heavy hammer, his kindled a great blaze in his forge and crawled inside, letting the fire he had controlled for so many years control him as it carried him into the next life.
    Level: 1
    Binding DC: 15
    Granted Abilities: Alryn grants his binders the ability to ignore the heat of the forge, to move regardless of their armor and to understand the work of the smith.
    Armored Step: You can move at normal speed (without the usual reduction) while wearing medium or heavy armor.

Halo of Fire: At will, you can shroud yourself in a wreath of flame. Any opponent that strikes you in melee takes 1d6 points of fire damage, unless it is using a weapon with exceptional reach. You can also deal 1d6 points of fire damage with each melee touch attack you make. Your own flame does not harm you, nor does it harm objects unless you will it to do so.

Improved Sunder: You gain the benefit of the Improved Sunder feat.

Medium Armor Proficiency: You are proficient with medium armor.

Resistance to Fire: You have resistance to fire 10.

Smith's Experience: You gain a +4 bonus to all Craft (armor and weapons) checks, as well as all Appraise checks involving metal-based items.

Recognize this one? It's the abilities from Aym, Lady Avarice, from the Tome of Magic. I threw that one in for fun, it wasn't on the list.

Spoiler
    Show
    Orion, The Hero of Soleh
    Vestige Level: 2
    Binding DC: 18
    Legend: Orion was once a great knight of Soleh, who fought bravely against his corrupt lord, and eventually killed him in a spectacular duel. He and the duke's daughter had long been in love, and they later married, and their love continued even beyond their deaths.
    Special Requirements: Orion will not answer to an evil binder or a binder who have hosted Lorken in the last 24 hours.
    Manifestation: A bright light shines, visible only to the binder. The light then fades away and a slender man stands in the middle of the seal. He wears a green tunic over a chain shirt, a green kilt, dark leather boots, sturdy gauntlets and a light helmet. He draws his sword and shield and silently bows to the binder, but never speaks a word during the pact.
    Sign: Your left hand has a small sign, that appears to be missing a part. Furthermore, if you were not already, you become left-handed.
    Influence: Orion is a figure of courage and hope. You do not show fear or despair and you never seem to give up even in the most desperate situations.
    Granted Powers: Orion is a master swordsman, horseman and archer, and the essence of the Hero of Soleh grants these abilities to the binder.

Deathless Love: Orion and Arynn can be bound simultaneously, but they still count as two vestiges. Their DC is 24, and while both vestiges are bound, your effective binder level is increased by one for the purposes of determining the effects of spell-like abilities.

Weapons of Evil’s Bane: Any melee weapons you wield is treated as good-aligned for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction. Furthermore, upon successfully hitting an evil creature, the weapon deals an additional 2d6 points of holy damage.

Arrows of legend: Any ranged projectile weapons used by the binder, such as bows and crossbows, possesses the distance enhancement.

Swordsmanship: You gain proficiency with all simple, martial and exotic sword-like weapons and you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls for every 5 effective binder levels you possess.

Adventuring knacks: You gain a bonus to Handle Animal, Ride and Survival checks equal to your binder level.

This is the original.
    I just changed some names and the story. all the abilities are the same.

The common thread in these is that I found vestiges that had some abilities I liked, rewrote the backstory slightly, and changed some names. That's all. Anything too "outer planes-y" I dropped, as well as anything too obscure or with abilities I couldn't refluff.

If you're going to help me, have some fun with it. I'll edit minorly, but it's your baby. Try to keep them fairly reasonable and avoid referencing any non-material planes in the backstory, if possible. I'm not going to go into them in my final, so it helps with continuity.

I think that's all.....

15. - Top - End - #225
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Whew, finally back after a long, long, work-related hiatus from the forums. Sorry for the sudden disappearance, I will be catching up on all I've missed and I'd love to rejoin this project.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Good to have you back, and anything you can help with is appreciated.

17. - Top - End - #227

NecromancerGuy

Alright, I am currently doing a full write up of Soleh, detailing some major cities, local organizations, the structure of the church, the army, important figures, and places of interest. Should be up either very late tonight or tomorrow. I intend to make up for my absence!

EDIT: Here is a preview of what is to come. Full thing will be up tomorrow. I still have a lot to do.

Spoiler
    Show
    Soleh
    Capital: Luxa
    Population: 2,300,000
    Exports: Weapons, Armor, Tools, Processed Ore, Textiles
    Languages: Common, Solerian, Dwarven, Gnomish

Soleh mixes a proud tradition of agriculture with an aggressively zealous religious outlook. As with all nations, its borders have fluctuated over time, but they have remained in their current state for the better part of the last century.
    At the turn of the last century, the Lord-Bishop Arkus led the people
    of Soleh on a bloody crusade to expand the influence of the Church of Light.
    Arkus rallied the Solerian Legions and marched into neighboring Sunshan.
    Before long, the forces of Soleh occupied much of northern Sunshan. While
    missionaries preached the Doctrine of Light to the oppressed people of
    Sunshan, the Lord-Bishop dispatched members of the Inquisition of Light
    to Vallheim to covertly begin preparations for an invasion there. Soon, the
    Legions were blazing a path into the heart of Vallheim, but they
    underestimated the clans of the north, and were met with iron resistance. The
    Vallheimers drove the Solerian forces back, and a stalemate took place.
    Arkus was trapped by the war he had created. He was fighting a brutal war
    of attrition on both sides, his forces spread too thin. After nine years of
    devastating battle, Arkus called the leaders of the other nations to a series
    of peace talks. After a very long negotiation process, Arkus agreed to
    withdraw his troops and cede much, though not all, of the conquered
    territory. In return, he obtained treaties from the other rulers allowing the
    sanctioned establishment of Churches of Light in both countries. In addition,
    Missionaries of Light were granted diplomatic immunity, and continue to
    have that privilege to this day.
    That vicious crusade has come to be known as the Black Renaissance,
    a violent revival of religious zeal in Soleh. Arkus is hailed as one of the
    greatest Lord-Bishops of all time, having officially secured a place for the
    church in neighboring lands. However, in Vallheim and Sunshan, Arkus is
    remembered as a bloodthirsty warmonger, responsible for the deaths of
    thousands.

Industries
    Agriculture is a massive component of the Solerian economy, but they do
    very little in the way of food exports. The vast and rich farmlands of Soleh
    provide nearly all of the food needed to support the large theocratic nation.
    The Solerians also have a strong fishing industry, and they make use of it to
    supplement their farming.
    Soleh has a very large standing army, with the capacity to nearly triple
    in size in times of war if necessary. To outfit this army, the nation has developed and nurtured a very strong community of smiths, and Soleh produces some of the finest weapons and armor available. They export these fine crafts to the other nations for exorbitant prices, but their quality is seldom matched. While this is their chief export, it is not Soleh’s primary
    source of income.
    The Church of Light is a very large and very influential organization.
    It demands that all members, and many more reluctant participants, contribute a monthly tithe for the good of Soleh. With the incredible size and reach of the church, these tithes produce an incredible amount for the Solerian treasuries.
    Last edited by Arathnos; 2011-07-13 at 02:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

That's great, it fits well with the Vallheimer timeline, that's about when Brenyn's grandfather would be ending the civil war, only to be attacked. Nothing like a common, immediate enemy to bring the people together. This is all very good.

19. - Top - End - #229

NecromancerGuy

UPDATE! More done, but I also ended up babysitting my 9 week old nephew, so progress has been slower than expected. I will try to finish it soon!

Spoiler
    Show
    Life and Society
    Soleh’s citizenry is divided up closely between rural and urban communities, with about sixty percent living in cities and the rest living in villages and farming communities. The largest cities dot the outer ring of Soleh, protecting its borders from foreign invasion. In the heart of the country sits the vast and fertile farmlands. Rich soil and moderate rainfall make the lives of the farmers relatively easy, and nearly all of the farms have managed to stay prosperous through times of war and peace. Even with the monthly tithe, the farms manage to make a profit and survive unscathed.
    The Church of Light preaches tolerance and acceptance of all life, and maintains shelters all over Soleh, and several in other nations, to aid refugees and the destitute. For the most part, these shelters are benevolent, free from the dark and sinister manipulations of the Inquisition of Light. Few are ever turned away, even if they do not accept the Light into their lives.
    The roads throughout the Soleh are well maintained and constantly patrolled by the Legions. In addition to the numerous trade roads and caravan paths, the Church of Light maintains a great highway that connects to all the major cities of the nation.

Government and Politics
    Lord-Bishop Herrith (TN male human, Mage 14/Aristocrat 3) is the current high priest of Light. He rules over all of Soleh and the church with an iron will. Herrith makes the laws in Soleh, and the church enforces them. Lord-Bishop Herrith is a cold, calculating, and incredibly pious man. He believes unfalteringly in the doctrine of Light, and he will go to almost any means to protect the church. On Herrith’s orders, some of the most brutal, violent, and unconscionable acts imaginable have been carried out. This includes the extermination of an entire Solerian village on the western border, staged to look like and Urgal attack in order to renew faith in the Legions. Despite these atrocities, Herrith truly cares for his people, and insists on looking at the ‘bigger picture’, even if it means sacrificing lives in the present. The public is unaware of the dark nature of their leader, just as they are largely unaware of the darker nature of the church. They view Herrith as a hero and an exemplar of all the traits the church finds desirable.
    Soleh is controlled entirely by the Church of Light, even the Solerian Legions are controlled and maintained by the church. The leader of Soleh is the High Priest of Light, the highest-ranking church official, who is selected by the church from one of the four Lord-Bishops. The church hierarchy follows:

High Priest of Light
    |
    Three Lord-Bishops
    |
    Eight Patriarchs
    |
    Sixteen Cardinals
    |
    Thirty-Two Bishops
    |
    Priests
    |
    Hopefuls
    |
    Acolytes

To consolidate the goals and status of the church, it holds regular meetings, throughout the nation. Every year, the higher-ranking officials hold a convention to meet and set the course of the church for the next year. This gathering takes place at the Cathedral of Light in Luxa, the capital city.

Power Groups
    The Church of Light wields much of the power in Soleh, both politically and as a military entity. Cardinals, bishops, and patriarchs vie for their share of the political power, and more than a few have considerable influence outside of the church as well. Lord-Bishop Herrith holds the various parties together by sheer force of will and integrity. What could break down in a chaotic struggle for dominance winds up working like a well-oiled machine under Herrith’s leadership. The people of Soleh do not look forward to the day when the aging Herrith vacates the title of High Priest of Light.
    Although the church controls the Solerian Legions, there are a small number of private military forces that hold their own. Among them, the most significant is the Free Legion, a private mercenary company made up of former members of the Solerian Legions. After the Black Renaissance, a handful of Arkus’ most brilliant military minds were fed up with the actions of the church, and wanted to separate themselves from Solerian politics. Resigning from the army, they took their legions with them and formed a private military company, known as the Free Legion. They hire themselves out to the highest bidder, choosing which assignments they will take and adhering to their own moral standards. They even take jobs from the other nations, though Vallheim is not often willing to hire outsiders to deal with its problems. In light of recent events, the nobles of Sunshan have begun hiring the Free Legion to help protect their caravans and assets from Gray Palm attacks.
    The Free Legion is led by a triad of generals who oversee the company together. While all three technically share equal power, one usually emerges as the de facto leader at any given time. Currently, that man is General Marka Vantran (NG male human, Commanding Fighter 13). General Vantran is the unspoken leader of the current triad, although he does not exploit that fact. He views his brothers-in-arms as equals, but they naturally defer to his wisdom and tactical insight.
    Over the last decade the legion has made a name for itself as an incredibly effective fighting unit. Many soldiers from the Solerian Legions join the private sector once their terms of service are up, and the best of them join the Free Legion. Because of this, the legion has acquired significant influence, both in Soleh and abroad. They take in a large amount of money, and since they also pay the church’s tithes, the church can’t afford to make them go away.

Next to come is Major Settlements and Important Sites.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

That looks great, I love all the detail and precision, but I have a couple little detaily things. One, because Soleh is usually the aggressor, it seems unusual to have their major cities out around their perimeter.

If they were more centralized, then they could have the interesting contrast of having an incredibly pious central population, surrounded by fringe populations that both produce the food and materials for the central craftsmen and artisans, but are also much more open-minded about religion, partially because they live near those that don't share their own and are exposed to other faiths.

Also, rural life is more difficult (famine, taxes/tithes, invading armies/counterattacks, supporting local armies passing through, bandits, Urgals...), and less conducive to faith in a benevolent superbeing. The farmers and such would still be religious and church members, but not to the degree of the inner metropolitan population.

Oh, and those mercenary bands, the Free Legion and such? They could also contract with the Dotze Affariata for defense and raiding other towns.

I just had an idea for a massive, sprawling city surrounding the central Great Cathedral of the Light. like, 50,000+ inhabitants. oh yes. I like.

21. - Top - End - #231

NecromancerGuy

I purposefully flipped the realistic model of urban center with rural fringe on its head for this, but we can make it more real if you'd like. The logic behind it was that the military outposts from their various conquests were the only safe settlements on the fringes, so they attracted a lot of life. Soon, sprawling cities sprang up around them. Luxa, the capital city, where the Cathedral of Light is located, is almost dead center in Soleh. It is at the heart of the farmland, and a large portion of the food grown goes to Luxa, either for consumption or to be hauled off to the other cities.

"All roads lead to Luxa, and all roads lead from Luxa."

Luxa acts as a centralized hub, connecting all trade routes to the great highway. Every city in Soleh is connected to Luxa. And I am currently writing out all the info for Luxa, I had it as a metropolis with close to 150,000 residents, but if that number is too large, we can change that. The idea is that Luxa also house a sizable portion of the Solerian Legions, where an entire section of the city is a massive military compound and barracks.

So really, with my model, Soleh would be sort of a wheel. The capital city of Luxa lies at the center, and the roads connect to the outer cities like spokes. All the spaces in-between contain the farmlands, so that they may supply their goods evenly to all the cities.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds about perfect. I'll be sure to include that when I redraw the maps. I've decided to not use the american geography, and to make something hauntingly similar, but substantially different. There'll be room for all these ideas about Soleh in it, too.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's what I have so far in the way of vestiges. Please, please, please edit/correct/examine them, and if you look there's one ortwo that could use some help.

Level 1

Athelas, Prince of Hope
    Spoiler
    Show

Special Requirement: None

Sign: A signet ring appears on your right hand, but the seal on it is blank.

Legend: Athelas was the third son of a minor noble house. While his elder brothers diligently studied the arts of statesmanship and war, he preferred to move among the people and help them to the best of his ability. Well liked by all who knew him, Athelas was a friend to everyone he met. However, the true nature of a man is judged in times of hardship. War came to his country, and one by one the noble houses led their troops into battle. As the youngest member of his house, Athelas was forced to stay behind. By his very youth and hope for the future, Athelas inspired the people to in his city to believe in themselves and in the victory to come. As the war dragged on, Athelas labored tirelessly to coordinate relief efforts and spent his reserves, both financial and personal, to their limit to help those who suffered. When the war at last ended, and his brothers returned, Athelas left to extend his help and hope to those who had been the enemy. Scholars lose track of him beyond that, but a man matching his description has been noted in the aftermath of every major conflict in the following century. Always, he is seen healing the wounded, helping the homeless, and encouraging all who will listen to come together and work toward a brighter future.
    Manifestation: The happy murmur of contented people fills the air around the seal as if a crowd of common folk stood there speaking. Their images are faint and indistinct as more enter the seal and others leave. Only a young man in fine white clothes remains constant. Soon, the sounds of battle can be heard as if from a great distance, and one by one the voices and grow silent and the images fall and fade away. Throughout this time, the man in white holds each who fall and seems to be speaking words of comfort. Eventually, all but the man are gone. His clothes are tattered, his pants dirtied from kneeling on the ground, and blood coats his sleeves from those he tried to save. Despite his appearance, Athelas carries himself with dignity and a quite satisfaction. His task done, he turns to the binder and offers his assistance.

Influence: You are eternally optimistic and feel compelled to help the less fortunate. You must volunteer at least an hour of your time to charity in each town you visit.

Granted Abilities:

Third Son of a Noble House: You gain proficiency with a single martial weapon of your choice. You also gain a +4 bonus to any single skill and are considered trained in that skill.

Friend to All: You gain a +2 morale bonus on diplomacy, gather information, knowledge (local) and knowledge (nobility and royalty) checks and make these checks as if trained.

Voice of Hope: As a full-round action, you can use oratory to inspire confidence in your allies. An ally must listen and see you for the full round for the inspiration to take hold. Inspired allies gain a +2 morale bonus on saving throws and a +1 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls. The effects last for five rounds. The binder may inspire a number of allies equal to half his binder level per use (round up). This ability may only be used once every five rounds. The binder cannot inspire confidence in himself, only his allies.

Helping Hand:
    When the binder makes an aid another check, he increases the bonus granted by +1 (for a total of +3). This bonus increases by an additional +1 for every for four levels of binder.

The Power of One: As a full-round action, you can use oratory to inspire greatness in an ally. An ally inspired with greatness gains temporary hit points equal to d4 times your binder level, a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls and saving throws, and a +4 morale bonus on saves against fear. This effect lasts five rounds. The binder cannot inspire greatness in himself, only in an ally. You may use this ability on a particular ally only once per day.

Alryn, the Red Smith
    Spoiler
    Show

Legend: Alryn was once a man who held two jobs: He was both a Red Mage and a great armorsmith, who forged the suit of plate that the king of Soleh wears into battle even now. Late in his years, when he could no longer raise a heavy hammer, his kindled a great blaze in his forge and crawled inside, letting the fire he had controlled for so many years control him as it carried him into the next life.

Granted Abilities: Alryn grants his binders the ability to ignore the heat of the forge, to move regardless of their armor and to understand the work of the smith.

Armored Step: You can move at normal speed (without the usual reduction) while wearing medium or heavy armor.

Halo of Fire: At will, you can shroud yourself in a wreath of flame. Any opponent that strikes you in melee takes 1d6 points of fire damage, unless it is using a weapon with exceptional reach. You can also deal 1d6 points of fire damage with each melee touch attack you make. Your own flame does not harm you, nor does it harm objects unless you will it to do so.

Improved Sunder: You gain the benefit of the Improved Sunder feat.

Medium Armor Proficiency: You are proficient with medium armor.

Resistance to Fire: You have resistance to fire 10.

Smith's Experience: You gain a +4 bonus to all Craft (armor and weapons) checks, as well as all Appraise checks involving metal-based items.

Lared, The Humbled Hunter
    Spoiler
    Show

Special Requirement: Yes

Sign: Your eyes turn a vibrant green, with a faint oak-leaf pattern around the iris.

Legend: Lared was once a great hunter and archer of the Lightwood Rangers, and was quickly rising through the ranks. After leading a war party that defended a small settlement from a combined assault of three Urgal tribes, Lared thought himself more apt to lead the Rangers than any member of the Council, and challenged the Elder of the council to a duel of arrows for the right to lead the Council. To his surprise, his challenge was accepted, and the two combatants met in a field the next day. When the horn blew to signal the beginning of the duel, Lared was the first to fire. And the second. And the third. It was only when he had emptied his quiver with a sleet of edged steel that he realized that not a single one of his arrows had landed. Rather, the unarmed old man at whom he had been firing had caught each one. At that point Lared laid down his bow and surrendered, and asked to leave the Lightwood Rangers in shame. Rather than release him from his service, his superiors decided to allow him to continue to serve the Rangers, satisfied that he had learned his place. Many years later, Lared was indeed found worthy to join the council, an appointment which he accepted with honor and excelled at until his death.

Manifestation: Lared steps from within the circle as if he had always been there, and was only now breaking cover. He wears a beautifully crafted suit of leather armor, and carries a longbow.

Special Requirement: Lared required that his seal by drawn outdoors, or with the point of an arrow.

Influence: Lared causes the binder to be aware of their station, and to not challenge those more powerful and adept than they.

Granted Powers: Lared helps those in need with the art of the hunt and with his chosen weapon, the bow.

Hide Bonus: You gain a competence bonus on Hide checks, equal to 2+your EBL.

Low-Light Vision: You gain low-light vision. If you already have it naturally, you gain superior low-light vision and can see three times as far as your light source would normally illuminate. Thus, a torch that illuminates a 20-foot radius would allow you to see clearly up to 60 feet and provide you with shadowy illumination to a distance of 120 feet.

Precise Shot: You gain the benefit of the Precise Shot feat.

Ricochet: As a standard action, you can make a single ranged attack against two adjacent targets. Make a single attack roll and apply that result to the Armor Class of both targets. Any hit you score deals damage to the target normally. Extra damage from abilities such as sneak attack or sudden strikeapply to only one target, which you must designate prior to making the attack roll.

Weapon Proficiency: While bound to Lared, you are proficient with the composite longbow, composite shortbow, longbow, and shortbow. If you were already proficient with any of these weapons, you instead gain a +1 competence bonus on attack rolls with them.

Charn, the Hare

Spoiler
    Show

Vestige Level: 1

Legend: The first prey animal to be made when the sky and sea came apart, the Hare was hunted by Chinua, the first wolf. In that earliest of days, death was not final, and after being caught, Charn would return to be hunted again. When the early days ended with the birth of the first human, Charn left the mortal world to his children and left the world, only returning when called by binders.

Special Requirement: A binder may not bind Charn while Chinua is bound to them.

Manifestation:
    Charn appears as a hare, which seemingly ignores the binder until their pact is confirmed.
    Influence:
    The binder becomes as careful as the prey animals, and when confronted with sudden surprises is often stunned by fear.
    Granted Abilities: The Hare grants powers related to speed and escape.

Fleet of Foot: While bound to Charn, the binder's speed increases by 10 feet. At eighth level this bonus increases to 20 feet, and at fourteenth level it increases to a 30 foot bonus.

Prey's Senses: While not able to track like a predator, Charn offers a binder the keen senses of the hunted. The binder gains a +2 bonus to Listen and Spot checks. At eighth level, the bonus becomes +4, and at fourteenth level it becomes +6.

Masking the Trail: The binder may use Pass without Trace on themselves only at will. When the duration ends, the binder must wait at least an hour to use the ability again.

Legs of the Hare:
    The binder gains a +10 bonus to Jump checks, and may make unarmed kick attacks which deal 1d6 damage and the binder is treated as having Improved Unarmed Strike when making kick attacks only.

Chinua, The Wolf

Spoiler
    Show

Legend
    : Born when the world was young, Chinua was the first wolf to walk the earth. Before mankind, she hunted the forests, snow covered lands of the north, and grasslands of the south. For an age, she roamed the world, until the age of myth ended. Now she exists only when called for, and brings the understanding of an age before man to her summoner.

Special Requirement: The binder must have personally caught the last food they ate. A binder with arcane caster levels may not summon Chinua.

Manifestation: A wolf with yellow eyes the size of a small pony.

Sign: The binder's eyes turn a shade of yellow like that of some wolves.

Influence: The binder is tied to your fellows as if pack. You may not leave an ally behind without attempting to save them.

Granted Abilities:
    The Wolf grants her binders the pack mentality of the wolf, and the prowess of a huntress.

Pack Tactics: The binder works well in a team, and when attacking an enemy who they are flanking, they get a +3, rather than +2 bonus. This benefit is extended to anyone who attacks a target that the binder flanks. At 10th level, flankers get a +4 bonus, rather than a +3 bonus.

Hamstring: The binder gains the benefits of Improved Trip, even if they do not meet the requirements.

Hunter in the Night: The binder gains the benefit of the Track feat, and a competence bonus to survival checks equal to the binder's EBL when trying to track a target.

Mother's Voice: As Charm Animal or Calm Animal, but only on wolves. Once used, this ability may not be used for 5 rounds.

Beast Voice: The binder may speak with wolves or dogs as if using the Druid Spell, Speak with Animals.

Hanasa, Butterfly in the Willows
    Spoiler
    Show

Sign: Your skin turns powder white.

Legend: Hanasa was said to be the most beautiful girl of her generation. Charming and graceful, she was courted by nearly every man who met her. Elusive as a butterfly, she teased and entertained without committing herself. She was loved and admired by many, but there are always those who see beauty and feel the need to possess it. She discouraged them gently, or not so gently as necessary, but grew more and more frustrated with all the people who wanted to possess her without actually understanding her. Tragically, her charms eventually drove a mystic of great power to more extreme means of making her his own. She escaped his Domination once, but knew he would succeed again all too soon. To escape him and all those like him forever she killed herself. The spirits honored her final protest by removing her from the reach of all those who might hold her against her will.

Special Requirements: Hanasa has no interest in the uncultured. You must have at least 4 ranks in diplomacy or knowledge (nobility and royalty) to bind her.

Manifestation: A tree rises up from the seal and flowers in seconds. A cloud of falling cherry blossoms obscure your view. A woman of surpassing beauty stands before you in a crimson kimono with a pink butterfly pattern. Her face is a bloodless white and her hair done up with decorative pins. She opens her mouth to speak, but makes no sound.

Influence: Hanasa will not brave capture or manipulation again. If you fail a save against a compulsion or are grappled by an enemy successfully you must take the first opportunity to flee or hide from that enemy for at least 5 rounds.
    Granted Abilities:

Breath of the Wind, Dance of the Waves: You gain a +4 competence bonus on Perform checks, Sleight of Hand, and Escape Artist. You are considered trained when using these skills.

The Willow World: Once every 5 rounds, you may roll twice on a will save or any skill check based on wisdom or charisma. You must declare your use of this ability before the die has been rolled.

Courtesan’s Touch: You may use Calm Emotions as per the spell, except that it is range touch (affecting only that target) and the duration is 1 round + concentration.

Flowing Sleeves, Hidden Knife:
    Your deceptively graceful movement lulls your foe into misjudging the speed and position of your attack. You gain the benefit of Improved Feint, but may only use it in conjunction with a light, finesse weapon. You may use a perform (dance) check in place of a bluff check for this ability.

Junlee, the Champion
    Spoiler
    Show

Level:1

Binding DC:15

Legend: Junlee was a champion of unarmed combat who traveled the world facing anyone who challenged him. He was said to have mastered every form of hand-to-hand fighting a man could learn.
    There is much dispute about how Junlee became a vestige. Some say he was poisoned by a rival. Others say he died in a riot that erupted after he defeated the champion of a large city. A few hold that he was murdered through sorcery. The vestige has never confirmed any of these accounts. It speaks only of its triumphs.

Special requirements: Junlee will only appear to a binder who has either Improved Unarmed Strike or Improved Grapple. These can be normal feats or gained through other vestiges.

Manifestation: Junlee appears as a young man wearing shorts. His hands are wrapped from knuckles to wrists with bloody cloth.

Sign: The binder's nose appears crooked, he has cauliflower ears and his knuckles are flat.

Influence:
    Junlee makes the binder disdain armor and weapons. This only applies when facing humanoid opponents. Junlee has no objection to weapons against other foes. The binder will try to resolve any disagreement with fisticuffs.

Granted Abilities: Junlee gives binders the ability to excel at unarmed fighting.

No Need for Weapons: The binder gains the Stunning Fist feat, if he had Improved Unarmed Strike, or Improved Grab, if he had Improved Grapple. The binder can gain both feats if he had both prerequisites.
    The binder can use Stunning Fist Feat once for every effective binder level.

Fast Hands and Feet:
    The binder gains the Improved Initiative feat.

Iron Chin: The binder gains Damage Reduction 2. This improves to DR3 at 7th level, DR 4 at 11th level and DR 5 at 15th level.

Champion's Heart: The binder gains the Diehard feat. The binder cannot be demoralized by the Intimidate skill.

Nemu, The Charcoal Feather

Spoiler
    Show

Legend: Nemu was a librarian in a legendary library of the Original Empire a thousand years ago. She was obsessed with researching an ancient book about the creation of the world. One evening she fell asleep in the middle of her research, and her unattended oil lamp sparked a fire that burned down the library. Some say she perished in her sleep. Others say that she spent her last few moments of life desperately trying to save the ancient book. Yet others say that in her final moment she discovered some ancient secret in the book, a deep and ancient secret which obliterated her soul.

Special requirement: You must place a dried nut, still in its shell, in the center of Nemu's seal. Nemu will not answer your call if you are illiterate.

Manifestation: The sound of small bells jingling signals Nemu's arrival. A roaring fire ignites in the center of the seal. Within the fire is a great and ancient tome, completely untouched by the flames. It's title changes for every binder who attempts to read it. Some scholars claim that the title is a fragment of text the book of The Beginning Of The World. The book opens to the middle. Each page is an ash-grey feathery wing. In the binding of the book is the face of a beautiful human woman. Her eyes are closed as if in sleep. If the binder makes a good pact, the face is disturbed as if tormented by nightmares. If the binder makes a poor pact, the face has a slight smile of a peaceful dreamer. Nemu does not speak. She responds to the binder by flapping her many pages of wings. Each time she does, new text appears on them, always in a language the binder can read.

Sign: A faintly glowing halo hovers an inch above your head. It does not prevent you from wearing headgear. The halo sheds light as a candle, but can be covered.

Influence: You feel sleepy at all times, even after a full night's rest, although you are not fatigued. If there is a comfortable place to sit or lay down, and no pressing matters at hand, Nemu requires you to take the opportunity to nap.

Granted Powers: Nemu lends you the ability to lull others to sleep, access to a portion of her knowledge, and the ability to illuminate your world.

Nap: As a standard action you can attempt to put 4 HD of creatures to sleep for one minute per effective binder level, as per the sleep spell. All affected creatures must be within 5 feet per effective binder level of you. Slapping or wounding awakens an affected creature, but normal noise does not. A Will saving throw negates this effect. At each effective binder level beyond 1st, you can affect an additional hit die of creatures. After using this ability, you cannot use it again for five rounds.

Research: You gain a +2 bonus to Gather Information checks.

Nemu's Knowledge: You can use any Knowledge skill untrained. In addition, you can retry a Knowledge skill you failed after spending 1d4 hours by researching the topic in a library or succeeding on a DC 20 Gather Information check.

Wakeful: You become immune to magical or supernatural sleep.

Halo: You can cause your halo to shed light as a torch. Activating or deactivating this ability is a standard action. You must show Nemu's sign in order to use this ability.

Ranga, The Flower of Peace

Spoiler
    Show

Bind DC: 14

Legend: Born one hundred years ago, Ragna was born into the middle of the Vallheim Civil War. He entered the military at a young age, and is said to have spent four years as a soldier in one of the many armies at that time, as history and the lies of lords have obscured the truth. After seeing the bloodshed and the futility of the wars, Ranga threw down his sword and began to speak against war and killing in any form. He quickly gained a small but devoted following of those left with nothing due to the war, and began to train them how to defend themselves without killing. Unfortunately for Ragna, one of the most powerful warlords at that time saw him as a rising threat to their power, and he sent a assassin to kill him. When the killer found him, was able to stab Ragna without his resisting, although the assassin later decided to repent his ways and never killed another man.

Special Requirement: The binder may not have killed any creature by their own hand within the last 12 hours.

Manifestation: Ragna appears as a man clothed at first in the blood of others, which slowly slides off, revealing a glowing white humanoid body. When it speaks, the sounds of war can be heard echoing in the distance.

Sign: Binders under the influence of Ragna move with a careful grace, and their voice becomes softer making them unable to shout.

Influence: Those under the influence of Ragna cannot kill a sentient target unless it has already deliberately killed someone else.

Granted Abilities:

Improved Disarm: The binder gains the Improved Disarm feat while bound to Ragna.

Aura of Peace: The binder may cast Sanctuary with a caster level equal to her binder level. Once used, this ability may not be used for another five rounds. Ragna's sign must be shown while this power is in use.

Merciful Blow: A binder may add their charisma bonus+1 (minimum of 1) to the damage of any attacks they make, but the attack is nonlethal damage.

Harmony in Battle: The binder gains the Combat Expertise feat while bound to Ragna.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2011-07-15 at 05:16 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

And here's Level 2. One more to come after this.

Amidamaru, The Bloody Blade
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level: 2

Binding DC: 20

Legend: Amidamaru was a powerful Sunshani warrior, centuries ago. Slain attempting to protect a childhood friend, his powerful spirit refused to find rest in the afterlife. As a vestige, he gives great warrior powers to those who bind him.

Manifestation: The air grows cold around the summoner, something which only he can feel. Visible winds then gather in the center of his seal, which then become slashed, as though with an invisible sword, revealing Amidamaru in the center. Amidamaru appears as a Sunshani warrior, his armor covered in blood, with one sword drawn. Which sword he has drawn varies from summoner to summoner, but the blade always appears made of blood.

Special Requirement: Amidamaru was a powerful warrior in life, and he refuses to appear to those who are not capable of holding their own in battle. As such, he only appears to those who possess either the Weapon Focus feat, applying to any martial or exotic weapon, the Power Attack feat, or the Cleave feat.

Sign: Your hands gain a thick callous around the webbing from thumb to forefinger, indicative of extensive practice with a blade.

Influence: Amidamaru, ever trusting of others, requires that you not make use of the Bluff skill, and that you only make Sense Motive checks against those who you already know to be untrustworthy.

Granted Powers
    : Amidamaru grants his binders great skill with the weapons he used in life, both together and singly.

Weapon Proficiency (Ex): You gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency with the bastard sword and Martial Weapon Proficiency with the short sword, if you do not already have them. In addition, whenever you wield a bastard sword in one hand, and a short sword in the other, you are treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. This is improved to Improved Two-Weapon Fighting at fifth level.

Daisho Mastery (Ex): Whenever you wield a bastard sword or a short sword, you gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 bonus on damage rolls with these weapons, as if you had Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization for these weapons. If you already have any of these feats, the bonuses stack.

Amidamaru's Might (Ex): Whenever you successfully attack a creature while using the Power Attack feat, you deal damage equal to double the penalty you took on your attack roll, as if you were using a two-handed weapon. If you are using a two-handed weapon, you gain no benefit

Unstoppable Cleave (Ex): Whenever you successfully drop a foe and make a Cleave attack, you may make one additional attack after you Cleave, at the same Base Attack Bonus as your Cleave attack was. When using this ability in conjunction with the Great Cleave feat, you can only use this after failing to drop a foe with an attack, and you cannot Cleave off of a foe you drop with the attack given by Unstoppable Cleave. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

Amidamaru's Guard (Ex): Amidamaru naturally enhances the power of any armor that you wear, allowing it to better protect you. You add 1/2 your EBL (rounded up) to the Armor bonus of any armor that you wear. This bonus does not stack with enhancement bonuses from armor.

Dorun, The Mountain
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level:2

Binding DC: 17

Legend: The Mountain rests at the center of all things, the basis on which the world was built. When the world was built, the bones of Mountain were taken to form the mountains that the races see these days. With his body spread among the world, the spirit of Mountain was spread into the world to be summoned by binders.

Manifestation: The mountain appears as a mountain which reaches up into the sky, speaking with a voice that shakes the ground and bones of a summoner.

Special Requirements: The Mountain can only be summoned by a binder when the circle is drawn on rock.

Sign:
    The mountain makes the binder's skin seem rough and grey, which makes it mistakable for stone.

Influence: Those under the influence of the mountain partake of its stability. They may not take a move action in place of a standard action.

Granted Abilities: Dorun grants his binders the ability to move with the power of the mountain, as well as manipulate stone.

Stance of the Mountain: The binder becomes exceptionally stable, gaining a +4 bonus to resist trip attempts and bull rushes due to their exceptional stability. This bonus is applied in any situation that the benefit of stability would apply.

Mastery of the Bones: The binder gains a climb speed equal to 1/4 of their normal movement rate.

Force of Stone: You gain the feat Improved Bull Rush, even if you do not meet the normal requirements for the feat.

Harden the Bones: You may use the spell Transmute Mud to Rock, except that the range is Close. Once used, this ability may not be used for another five rounds.

Furtur, The Thunder and the Storm

Spoiler
    Show

Binding DC:

Legend: Furtur was once a mighty Blue Mage, who attempted to use his command of the weather to bring down a city full of noncombatants after his army defeated theirs in the field. His lighting struck, but not at the walls. Rather, he was consumed entirely by the blast, so nothing remained, not even his robes.

Manifestation: Furtur's appearance is like a great bird of prey. Or is it a shattered tree? Or a young man in blue?

Sign: While bound to Furtur, your body is charged with static electricity. Your hair stands on end, and sparks fly to anything you touch. These sparks are not powerful enough to cause damage or ignite anything, but they are strong enough to be felt, and make an unprepared creature jump in surprise.

Influence: Furtur's influence gives you an innate distrust of authority. You suspect ulterior motives in even the most benevolent authority figure, and must make a Sense Motive check whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Granted Abilities:

One with the Winds: While bound to Furtur, you are treated as being one size larger for determining the effects that high winds have on you (DMG pg. 94). You are also treated as being one additional size category larger for every two binder levels beyond 3rd you possess, up to a maximum of 5 size categories at 11th level. If this would increase your size beyond Colossal, you are considered immune to the effects of nonmagical wind. At 13th level, you may make ranged attacks in any wind condition without penalty. This ability is continually active while you are bound to Furtur.

Lightning Touch: While bound to Furtur, you may discharge the static electricity you are charged with against an adjacent enemy. This requires a Melee touch attack and deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per 2 Binder levels. At 10th-level you may use this ability on any creature within 30 feet, requiring a Ranged touch attack. At 15th-level, this ability may function like the Chain Lightning spell, except the distance between the caster and original target cannot be more than 30 feet. Once you have used this ability, you may not use it again for 5 rounds, nor may you use this ability if you do not show Furtur's sign.

Spawn Storm:
    While bound to Furtur, you may generate a small, localized rainstorm as a Standard Action. The storm has a diameter of 20 feet and can be generated anywhere within 100 feet of the binder. Once generated, the storm remains for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 your EBL, rounded down. The rain automatically extinguishes any nonmagical, unprotected flame, and anyone within the storm takes a -4 penalty to Search and Spot checks, as well as a -2 penalty to Listen checks. Ranged attacks into or out of the storm are made at a -2 penalty. You may use this ability once per day for every 3 binder levels you possess. At 10th level, you may use this ability to create a Sleet Storm effect instead of a regular rainstorm, however the effect must still be generated within 100 feet of the binder. At 17th level, you may also use Control Weather once per day, but only for the purpose of creating some form of precipitation.

Guison, the Man Who Knew
    Spoiler
    Show

Binding DC:

Legend: Guison was an investigator in the service of the Dotze Affariata. He initially served as an academic advisor but was frequently drawn into the investigations of various court scandals. Guison demonstrated extraordinary powers of observation and deduction in his work. Many powerful men solicited his services and his renown spread over several borders. He was most famous for exposing agents of the Grey Palm who had infiltrated the Watch in Marreis.
    Guison made several enemies in his lifetime and survived numerous plots against his life, but not all of them. He disappeared from his home after 25 years of service. No trace of him was found and no one boasted of having captured or killed him. Rumors about him circulated for years but he was never seen alive again.

Manifestation: Guison appears as a richly clad old man who is always examining something small in his gloved hand. He turns to face the binder and relates the binder’s recent actions. He explains that various signs on and around the binder clearly indicate what the binder and any of his companions have been up to.

Sign: The binder perpetually squints and the skin of his face is extremely wrinkled.

Influence: The binder becomes obsessed with minutiae and lectures anyone in earshot about anything that seems interesting to him at the time. He also doubts the honesty of everyone around him and subtly interrogates anyone he talks to.

Granted Abilities: Guison gives binders the abilities to investigate events and determine how they happened and who was involved.

Attention to Detail: The binder gains a +4 bonus to Decipher Script, Listen, Search and Spot checks. This bonus increases by one for every three levels after fifth. The binder is entitled to a Spot check whenever he passes within five feet of a clue, even if he is not actively looking for one.

Great Perception: The binder gains a +4 bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information and Sense Motive checks. This bonus increases by one for every three levels after fifth.

Unswayable: The binder gains the Slippery Mind class feature.

Uncanny Knowledge: The binder can use Bardic Lore as a bard of the same level. Once per day the binder can make a hunch based on what he has observed. The binder makes a second Lore check. If it succeeds the DM informs the player of the connection between a clue and the event that is it linked to.

Hale, Master Healer
    Spoiler
    Show

Special Requirement: No

Sign: The backs of your hands become covered with wolf fur.

Legend: Hale was a young orphan taken in by the church of Soleh at an early age. He soon became a master healer, despite a complete lack of magical training. He was later bitten by a werewolf and contracted lycanthropy. Despite his efforts to hide his condition, he was eventually discovered and chased out of Soleh, until he found refuge in Vallheim, and was able to continue healing those in need.

Manifestation: A skeletal hand punches upward through the ground and a skeleton pulls itself free from the earth. It stands and faces the binder as muscles begin to grow and organs form from nothing. Veins fill with blood as the heart begins to pump. Skin covers him and he stretches as if waking up after a long sleep. A wound appears on right hand as if he has been bitten by a canine. Grey fur begins to spread from the bitten hand as the man grimaces in pain. He quickly wraps the arm in bandages and turns to the binder. “I suffer for others. Will you suffer with me?”

Influence: You hold no fear or distaste for the sick or the dying. You do not avoid contact with such people.

Granted Abilities:

Master Healer: You gain a bonus on heal checks equal to your EBL and may always take 10. Additionally, you can eventually make heal checks faster than normal. At level 5 you may make heal checks as a move action, at level 10 you may make them as a swift action, and at level 15 you are so sure in your skill that you may make heal checks as an immediate action.

Healer’s Lore: You constantly gain the benefits of the spell Healing Lorecall except that you use your bonus on heal checks as your number of ranks and you may use a heal check in place of a conjuration [healing] spell.

Slam Death’s Door: Whenever you stabilize a dying target they also gain a number of hit points equal to your EBL.

Resilient Body: You take reduced damage from poison, disease, and bleeding. Subtract your Con bonus (min 1) from all damage (ability or hit points) you would take from those sources. This effectively auto-stabilizes you if you fall below 0 hp.

Rapid Recovery: You and all creatures you tend with the heal skill regain hp, ability damage, and ability drain at an accelerated rate. Treat each hour of rest as a full 8 hours for the purpose of natural healing. (This has no effect on the amount of rest required for spell preparation or power point recovery.)

Only a Flesh Wound: Once every 5 rounds you can convert a single source of damage (such as a single spell or weapon blow) to yourself or another adjacent creature into non-lethal damage.

Memory of the Goddess: You may activate magic items that store spells with the [healing] descriptor as if you had them as spells known and a caster level equal to your EBL.

Body Control: You gain a +4 bonus on Control Shape and Autohypnosis checks.

Fellowship of the Physicians
    : You gain a +2 to your binder level for both Hale and Buer while you are bound to both.

Orion, The Hero of Soleh

Spoiler
    Show

Binding DC: 18

Legend: Orion was once a great knight of Soleh, who fought bravely against his corrupt lord, and eventually killed him in a spectacular duel. He and the duke's daughter had long been in love, and they later married, and their love continued even beyond their deaths.

Special Requirements: Orion will not answer to an evil binder or a binder who have hosted Lorken in the last 24 hours.

Manifestation: A bright light shines, visible only to the binder. The light then fades away and a slender man stands in the middle of the seal. He wears a green tunic over a chain shirt, a green kilt, dark leather boots, sturdy gauntlets and a light helmet. He draws his sword and shield and silently bows to the binder, but never speaks a word during the pact.

Sign: Your left hand has a small sign, that appears to be missing a part. Furthermore, if you were not already, you become left-handed.

Influence: Orion is a figure of courage and hope. You do not show fear or despair and you never seem to give up even in the most desperate situations.

Granted Powers: Orion is a master swordsman, horseman and archer, and the essence of the Hero of Soleh grants these abilities to the binder.

Deathless Love: Orion and Arynn can be bound simultaneously, but they still count as two vestiges. Their DC is 24, and while both vestiges are bound, your effective binder level is increased by one for the purposes of determining the effects of spell-like abilities.

Weapons of Evil’s Bane:
    Any melee weapons you wield is treated as good-aligned for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction. Furthermore, upon successfully hitting an evil creature, the weapon deals an additional 2d6 points of holy damage.

Arrows of Legend: Any ranged projectile weapons used by the binder, such as bows and crossbows, possesses the distance enhancement.

Swordsmanship:
    You gain proficiency with all simple, martial and exotic sword-like weapons and you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls for every 5 effective binder levels you possess.

Adventuring Knacks:
    You gain a bonus to Handle Animal, Ride and Survival checks equal to your binder level.

Lokesh, the Blind Seer

Spoiler
    Show

Binding DC: 21

Sign: A tattoo of a third eye appears on the binder’s forehead in black ink.

Legend: Lokesh is something of a mystery. He was certainly native to the material realm, yet there are no indications that he ever existed upon this world. The third eye is claimed to be a birthright of his people, the Kuresh. He tells of a world much like our own fallen into darkness so deep and pervading that even now it fills his sight. Some scholars wonder if his world might somehow have come directly into conjunction with the vestige realm, but if so, the rest of his race seems to have escaped his fate. A few researchers believe he is from a time far removed from the current frame, perhaps even so far into the past that his former world is what we now know as vestige realm.

Special Requirements:
    Lokesh will not answer the call of a binder bound to Tenebrous or anyone otherwise associated with the plane of shadow. (This includes anyone capable of using mysteries, shadow hand maneuvers, or [shadow] spells.)

Manifestation: The seal slowly turns to clear crystal. Light seems to come from every direction, refracting off the seal. Within the light above the seal, the image of a world can be seen. A nearly physical darkness creeps over the seal, cutting off the light. A tall figure emerges from behind the seal with silver light shining from his three eyes that seems to hold the darkness back for a moment. His lanky frame trembles with effort and his white hair is quickly soaked with sweat. As the darkness pushes back, the world within the seal shrinks and retreats along the silver light until it can only be seen within his eyes. His eyes close and all is soon pitch black within the seal. The man in the darkness asks in a soft, inquisitive tone, “Whose voice calls me forth?”

Influence: You mistrust your eyes and will not rely on information that cannot be confirmed by other senses. Thus, you may not use any item that must be read or otherwise looked at to be used (This includes scrolls and normal spellbooks). Also, you may not make active spot checks. (You may still make spot checks when the DM requires one).

Granted Abilities:

Wisdom in Darkness:
    You gain the Scent and Blindfight feats. Additionally, you gain a competence bonus on listen and sense motive checks equal to your EBL.

Touchsense: You gain Blindsight out to 5ft. This increases to 10ft at level 13.

Hear the Unseen: As a swift action, you can grant yourself blindsense out to 10ft per EBL for 1 round. This does not extend into areas of magical silence. This ability is useable once every four rounds.

Share my Vision: You may use Blindness as per the spell. You must wait five rounds before using it again. At level 13, you may use Blindness every round and Power Word: Blind once every five rounds.

Blinded Seer: You gain spell resistance equal to 15+ your EBL against spells and effects from the divination school. Any creature that attempts to use such an effect against you and fails to overcome your resistance must make a will save or be blinded for the duration their effect would have had (min 1 round).

Remarro, the Candid Canvas
    Spoiler
    Show

Legend: Remarro was a troubled youth and as he looked around at the world the gods created with so much hate and suffering he began to hate the world back. In his frustrations the way he found to express himself was through art. He became a true renaissance man mastering many different forms and styles as he grew older, but the thing he became most famous for were his hyperrealistic paintings. People swore that they weren’t looking at images at all, but people and things trapped behind a window into another world. As Remarro began to draw more and more attention to himself he withdrew further and further from society. It was too late however, he had become so beloved for his art that the people would never let him be. He devised a plan. He told the people to come to his mansion and wait for him in the courtyard at midday. He came forth as promised with his painting gear and a framed canvas. He addressed the mass saying that he would create his greatest masterpiece before their very eyes. Merchants set up shops and tents and the people had a festival there awaiting his next great work of art. Hours went by and at dusk Remarro boomed over the crowd, “It is done!” However there was no great showing. The people grew puzzled and someone drew closer. The person noticed that Remarro was nowhere to be found, and so went to see what the painting was. It was the most realistic portrait the person had ever seen – and it was of Remarro. The person could have sworn Remarro winked at him from inside the frame.

Manifestation:
    An ornately framed canvas appears hovering above the seal about two feet across and three feet high. The canvas is entirely blank. Suddenly paints of all colors pour out from under the top of the frame over the canvas like a rainbow waterfall. A face appears in the paint, or rather the paint forms the shape of a face, two sunken pits for eyes and a maw of darkness for a mouth. Out of the frame and through the falling paint a handsome dark-haired man in fine clothing steps onto the seal. Fine as they are his clothes are besmirched with paint stains here and there. He flattens the wrinkles out of his attire and then speaks to the binder although he rarely looks at the binder. He seems preoccupied with something or else he simply dislikes the company for his voice is full of disdain.

Sign: Binding to Remarro causes you to appear as though you are wearing heavy makeup, with darkened eyelids, reddened lips and elongated lashes.

Influence: You become withdrawn and suspicious of others. Evil acts cause you to become increasingly negative. Additionally you are uncomfortable in open areas especially around many people.

Special Requirement: Yes. Remarro requires the binder to spend at least 1 gp on paints with which to paint his seal.

Granted Abilities: Remarro grants binders his brilliant skill with a paint brush, powers of illusion, and the ability to blast enemies with color.

Paint Spray: Issuing forth your hand, you send a spray of multicolored paints at an enemy duplicating the effect of a color spray spell. Once you have used this ability you cannot use it for 5 rounds. You cannot use this ability if you do not show Remarro’s sign.

Chiaroscuro: By using an artist’s mastery of light and shadow you bend light in such a way as to create illusory images of yourself as the spell Mirror Image. After the duration of the effect you cannot use this ability again for 5 rounds. You cannot use this ability if you do not show Remarro’s sign.

Blasting Stroke: Issuing forth your hand in a similar manner as your paint spray you can generate a forceful blast of energy rather than paint, but in the same multicolored pattern. This ability duplicates the Rainbow Blast (Spell Compendium). Once you have used this ability you cannot use it again for 5 rounds. You cannot use this ability if you do not show Remarro’s sign.

Remarro’s Brush: You gain a +4 insight bonus to all profession (painter) checks and can create works of art in half the time that is normally required. The insight bonus increases to +8 at 10th level, +14 and 15th, and +20 at 20th levels respectively.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2011-08-31 at 10:47 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's the last post I have so far. As with the previous ones, please point out any glaring inaccuracies . Level 3 Vestiges are as follows.

Bandelaros, the Soul Thief
    Spoiler
    Show

Level: 3

Legend: Bandelaros was a criminal wanted the lands over for his life of stealing. As he grew in his prowess and reputation he began pilfering items of greater and greater value until one day he was rumored to have stolen the king’s clothing from his body just as he was to make a popular address. As always Bandelaros left his signature, a single playing card bearing the image of the reaper. Furious, the king issued a death warrant for the clever thief and commanded his royal guard to accompany the city guard in the search and capture of the cause of the king’s embarrassment. After several months the regiment of guards had Bandelaros and brought him to the king for punishment. The king gripped his sword and slew the thief on the spot. They gave the body over to the proper coroners for burial in the private graveyard for enemies of the state. However there was a petition from a wealthy noble family claiming kinship to Bandelaros. They demanded that he get a proper burial. Not wanting to start a feud, the king consented, but watched the affair very closely – in fact he even attended the funeral. However before the ceremony could begin the coroner came and whispered something distressing into the king’s ear. With a look of horror and fury the king went with the coroner to the casket of Bandelaros. Standing open the only thing that lay in the wooden case was a single playing card bearing the image of the reaper.

Manifestation: Slowly a playing card falls about 10ft in the air above the seal out of nowhere and begins to drift to the ground. As the card reaches eye level with the binder it transforms for an instant into the ghastly image of a dead human head. The image is haunting if only for its abruptness. Then just as suddenly as it came it reverts again to the card and continues to fall to the ground. Once the card hits the ground a man in dust colored shawls and a bandanna addresses the speaker in a friendly and playful tone.

Sign: You smell faintly of freshly tilled earth and always seem to be dirty no matter how often you clean yourself off.

Influence: Bandelaros demands that any chance you have to take something that isn’t yours without any perceived consequences that you take it.

Special Requirement: Bandelaros will not appear for any lawful binder. Additionally as a part of the Binding contract the binder must formulate a plan to conduct some theft without getting caught although the binder is under no special compulsion to act out such a theft.

Granted Abilities: Bandelaros grants binders some of his calculating mind, his skill at eluding capture, and his ability to infiltrate structures without fear of traps.

Trapfinding
    : You can search for traps with the search skill like a rogue.

Evasion: Anytime a spell or effect would allow a reflex saving throw for half damage you may negate the damage entirely upon a successful save.

Bandelaros’ Intellect: You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to your intelligence score.

Bandelaros’ Skill: You gain a +6 insight bonus to all Open Lock and Sleight of Hand skill checks and you can use these skills untrained.

Escape Bondage
    : You can wriggle free of movement impairing effects or mundane bonds as the Freedom of Movement spell. The effect lasts for 1 round after which you cannot use this ability again for 5 rounds. You cannot use this ability if you don’t show Bandelaros’ sign.

Infiltrate: You gain the ability to detect secret doors like an elf. Whenever you pass within 10 ft. of a secret door you automatically get an attempt to search for it as if you were actively looking for it and gain a +4 circumstance bonus on the check.

Fujiko, Skydaughter

Spoiler
    Show

Sign: A white feather continually drifts around you, carried on a breeze that affects nothing else.

Legend: The Spirit Folk are known to hail from the uncut bamboo, the rushing rivers, and the mighty seas, but these are not the only places of purity where spirits dwell. The windswept heights have their own inhabitants and even a monk can fall in love. Fujiko felt her connection to the spirits from birth and would play on ledges hundreds of feet over open air without a concern in the world. She grew up leaping from peak to peak, high above the clouds. She trained with the monks of the Phoenix and quickly became a spiritually powerful entity. As the centuries passed however, her mortal blood began to thin as her spirit heritage grew in strength. She became bound to the peak that had been her home and could not leave it. Not even the mountains stand unchanged entirely by time. Earthquakes and erosion eventually wore down the heights that had once pierced the sky until they fell below the tree line. As an immortal spirit, she could not die, but her connection to this world was severed, leaving her no place to be.

Special Requirements: Fujiko’s seal must be drawn in a place where the wind blows. Additionally, she refuses to be bound with Halphax.

Manifestation: Her eyes are slender and glitter like sapphires surrounded by skin the glowing gold of sunlight at dawn. Thick, luxurious black hair hangs down to her ankles, swirling around her in an unfelt breeze. Her very body seems translucent, like a mirage in the mists or a glass sculpture catching the shades of sunset. Her feet do not touch the ground; she instead drifts over it like a kite on a very short string. Her mouth does not move when she speaks, only the wind carries her words to you.

Influence: You must always seek the high ground in battle and may not use any effect that manipulates or destroys earth or stone (such as move earth, wall of stone, or disintegrate.)

Granted Abilities: Fujiko grants her binders the gifts of the unbound winds, and the mobility to join them.

Leap of the Clouds: The binder gains a +10 bonus on jump checks. You are considered to have a running start and may exceed your normal maximum height and distance. The bonus increases by 10 at levels 10, 15, and 20.

Sheltering Winds: Ranged attacks (except rays) have a miss chance against the binder equal to 5% times your EBL. Additionally, the binder cannot be tracked or detected by scent. You must show Fukijo’s sign while this ability is active.

Knife Wind
    : As per the spell gust of wind except that you may choose to have it also deal slashing damage equal to d4 per your EBL. You must wait 5 rounds to use this ability again. (EDIT: Unless and until I find an errata stating what the actual range is for gust of wind, use medium: 100ft + 10ft per EBL)

Walk of the Spirits: The binder adds her EBL as a bonus on all Balance checks. More impressively, the binder can walk on the surface of any material into which she would normally sink, such as powdery snow, thin ice, and even water. She may continue to walk on this surface as long as she makes a DC 15 Balance check. Normally, the balance check for this activity is a standard action, so a binder may make one move action per round while using this ability. If she makes a DC 30 balance check, she may use this ability as a move action instead, allowing her to use it and still take one standard action in a round. She does not trigger traps that use pressure plates while using Walk of the Spirits, nor is her speed impacted by deep snow. At level 14, she may use Walk of the Spirits as a swift action.

Flowing Curtain Stride: The binder falls at a speed of no more than 60ft per round and thus takes no damage from falling any distance (as per featherfall). Additionally, she may move horizontally 5ft for every 10ft she falls. You must be showing Fujiko's sign to use this ability.

Myung, the Bright Sohei

Spoiler
    Show

Manifestation: A male in Banded Mail armor appears to march rigidly into the center of the seal. After arriving, he turns and bows to the binder, which initiates the pact making

Influence: At first glance, you appear pompous and rude, raising your nose to most onlookers. However, you are required to defend others at a moment's notice (such as putting yourself in harm's way to block enemies from reaching your allies).

Sign: Years of being imprisoned have altered the eyes of Myung, who always had bright blue eyes. If you are bound to him, your eyes appear without pupils.

Legend: Once, long ago, a powerful and evil Black Mage attacked a small fief in Sunshan. As many were not used to his sort of spellcasting, the fief was almost vanquished if not for the efforts of Myung. With his fortitude and undying strength, by the time the Black Mage managed to imprison him in the earth, he had used up most of his power and was finished off soon after by Myung's fellow soldiers. The people of his country and fief were not able to rescue him. To this day, he remains imprisoned.

Granted Abilities:

Weapon Familiarity: You gain Martial Weapon Proficiency in Short Sword, Bastard Sword, and Glaive. In addition, you gain Weapon Focus while wielding one of these weapons.

Improved Trip:
    You gain and can use the Improved Trip feat, even if you do not have the prerequisites.

Battle Fortitude: You become one with Myung's undying strength. You gain the Diehard feat, and gain a +4 competence bonus against death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and negative levels.

Ki Frenzy: A binder bound to Myung gains the ability to focus her ki power into a frenzy of berserk energy. In this frenzied state, she temporarily gains +2 to Strength and +2 to Dexterity. Her speed increases by 10 feet, and she can choose to make a flurry of blows with a full attack action in melee, making one extra attack per round while suffering a –2 penalty on every attack. While in a ki frenzy, you cannot use skills or abilities that require patience or concentration, such as moving silently or casting spells. She can use any feat she might have except for item creation feats and metamagic feats. A ki frenzy lasts for a number of rounds equal to three + the binder's Constitution modifier. The binder may prematurely end the frenzy voluntarily. At the end of the frenzy, the binder is fatigued (–2 to Strength, –2 to Dexterity, can’t charge or run) for the duration of that encounter. Entering a frenzy takes no time itself, but the binder can only do it during her action, not in response to somebody else’s action. If you use this effect, you cannot do so for 5 rounds. You can only use this ability once per day for every 3 binder levels you have.

Nathos, Grandmaster Tactician (Help me out with this one's story, please)
    Spoiler
    Show

Binding DC:

Sign: One of your hands becomes pure white in color, the other hand darkest black.

Legend: The original was incredibly Faerun-specific, so I'm going to change this. It's a WIP.

Special Requirements: Nathos can do nothing to help those who won’t follow orders. If, within the past 24 hours, you have gone against a vestige's influence (even if you made a good pact), Nathos will not answer your call.

Manifestation: The manifestation begins with the sound of heavy boots marching in time. Dust stirs within the seal and rises to the height of a man. When the dust clears, a 1-foot-square book can be seen floating in the air with covers made of metal shields beaten flat and cut to size. Both covers bear faint scars from battle. The front cover is stamped with a red knight in profile with stars for eyes. As you watch, the pages rip out of the book and spin around and around in an unfelt wind. The heavy parchment pages have block letters written upon them, and smaller writing runs down the margins. One by one the pages catch against an unseen man. Soon, the invisible figure is fully defined by the windblown pages. His voice is carried on the wind “Your move”.

Influence: You become cool and calculating. Your sense of self preservation demands that you not take the lead or last position in the marching order (unless there is no one else to fill those positions).

Granted Abilities:

Inexorable Advance: When you successfully drop an opponent with a melee attack, you may immediately move into the square that opponent occupied as a free action (you must have sufficient movement remaining to use this ability.) This movement does not provoke AoO.

Red Knight’s Flank: You must ready your action to use this ability. Whenever an opponent within 15ft of you moves from their space, you may immediately teleport to the space they previously occupied and make a full melee attack against that opponent. Each time you teleport, you use up one of your attacks of opportunity for the round.

Ordained Balance: You may make a single turn of up to 90 degrees as part of a charge.

Unto the Breach:
    You gain the ability to make a trample attack. As a full-round action, you can move up to twice your speed and literally run over any creature equal to your own size or smaller. You merely have to move over the opponents in your path; any creature whose space is completely covered by your space is subject to the trample attack. If a target’s space is larger than 5 feet, it is considered trampled only if you move over all the squares it occupies. Your trample attack deals 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage (or 1d6 points if you are Small) plus 1-1/2 times your Strength modifier. If you are larger than Medium or smaller than Small, the damage scales up or down accordingly (see page 114 of the Player’s Handbook). Trampled opponents can attempt attacks of opportunity, but these take a –4 penalty. (Opponents whose space is larger than 5 feet and whom you do not trample can also make attacks of opportunity at the same penalty.) An opponent can give up its attack of opportunity and instead attempt a Reflex save to take half damage from your trample. You can deal trampling damage to each target only once per round, no matter how many times your movement takes you over a target creature.

Royal Commission: If you have not acted in the current round and one of your allies uses the charge or withdraw action, you may immediately do the same. Your place in the initiative order changes appropriately.

Thran, Leader of the Hunt

Spoiler
    Show

Sign: You grow horns like those of an Urgal.

Legend: Misbegotten and looked down upon by both sides of his heritage, Thran grew up among the Blackhorn Urgal tribe. Strength was the only rule among the Urgals, so the weaker Thran was forced to the fringes of the camp. He watched the elder druids to see how they maintained their power in the face of the stronger warriors. He saw how they used word, gesture, and implication to inspire fear and then prey on it to their advantage. When the Kull warriors of his tribe forced him into the frontline against other tribes or humans, he used those lessons to great effect. As enemies avoided closing with him, his less skilled allies began to form up around him and eventually fight as a group. His influence grew as he preserved his allies. At the height of his power he commanded legions, but he eventually overestimated his own prowess and fell in single combat with a knight of Soleh.

Manifestation: A pile of weapons appears within the seal. After a few moments, they begin to shake and rattle loudly before suddenly bursting into the air and spiraling like a cyclone within the seal. Within the pile’s center appears the visage of a Urgal warrior crafted of steel, which reaches out with one hand and grabs a weapon from the spinning whirlwind of blades. Images of several smaller Urgals appear in the weapons remaining at Thran’s feet and begin to softly chant his name over and over, thrusting their tiny fists in the air with each repetition. As the chant reaches greater volume, Thran points his weapon (which varies from summoning to summoning – sometimes it is an axe, sometimes a sword, sometimes a spear, sometimes a mace) at the Binder and demands him to lead his forces into battle.

Influence: You have no respect for those who show fear in your presence.

Granted Abilities:

Bigger, Badder, and Meaner: You add your strength and constitution bonuses to your intimidate checks. If you use a full-round action for the intimidate check, you may take 10.

Tiger among the Wolves: When you use the demoralize action in combat, you may target all foes within 10ft. Also, foes successfully demoralized are shaken for a number of rounds equal to your EBL.

Prey upon the Fearful: You gain a +2 competence bonus on melee attack and damage rolls against shaken targets, +4 against frightened foes, or +6 against panicked enemies.

Pack Mentality: Neither you or ally within 10ft of you is considered flanked unless you all are considered flanked, nor are any of you considered surprised unless you all are surprised.

Stand by your Mates: When you aid another in combat (or are the recipient of aid another), the bonus applies to all attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws made that round. At level 10 you may use aid another once per round as a swift action. At level 15 you may simultaneously aid all allies within reach.

Hold your Ground: You and all allies within 30ft gain a +4 bonus to saves against fear and compulsion effects.
    Last edited by Wyntonian; 2011-08-31 at 11:00 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

I go away on vacation for a week, and the entire bloody forum starts acting more than the two weeks beforehand... [grumble grumble]...
    Anyway, I'll look through the vestiges over the next day or so and write up any comments I find. And I would keep the cities around the edge, and maybe have a great wall type thing leading from city to city, to explain why nobodies invaded them.
    LGBTA+itP

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

As for the wall idea, as cool and vaguely chinese as that would be, it kinda throws off the idea of a gradient of piety and patriotism between the central metropololis and the outlying farms. Maybe if the wall makes a semicircle, possibly around the border with sunshan.... I'll get a map up soon. That should help with the geography.

28. - Top - End - #238

NecromancerGuy

Sorry, I will have my stuff up soon. I'm including even more info than I originally thought :p

On the topic of the wall, I personally feel like it would make more sense for Soleh to have the wall between them and Vallheim, if they have any wall at all. The semi-independent nature of the clans means that they can attack small Solerian installations with lesser repercussions, as the blame largely falls on individual clans, or even villages. With Sunshan, any form of attack means plunging the entire nation into war. In addition, Soleh maintains an incredibly large standing army, financed by the exorbitant tithes the church demands. That only should me enough of a deterrent. Add the fact that the cities form the outer perimeter, and the armies are garrisoned within the major cities, and it would be suicide to attack Soleh directly unless both Sunshan and Vallheim were to make an alliance and attack from both sides at the same time.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

That.... makes sense. On the other hand, having an exorbitant tax rate, as well as a less-than-kind church that funds an inquisition into anybody who looks at a priest funny would make an invasion somewhat popular in Soleh territory, more so than in Vallheim. The same would be true in Sunshan, where the poor, subjugated lower class would be happy to help anybody they saw as liberators.

Oh, any thoughts on those vestiges?

30. - Top - End - #240

NecromancerGuy

I like them a lot. I'm also thrilled to see Binder's getting some love, they are sadly underused. I'm currently thinking about Nathos, trying to come up with something. I know you have several vestiges from Soleh already, but perhaps a brilliant tactician from the Solerian Legions?