New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: When mages decide to make alchemy a race [3.5 Race]

Very happy to see this is still alive!
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm actually planning a few more races as well as taking requests specifically for races.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Poisonous Alchemy needs a saving throw DC.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Poisonous Alchemy needs a saving throw DC.
    I said it's the same as the prevenom power, which has a DC of DC 10 + ½ your manifester level + your key ability modifier. Which i see will need to be clarified a bit actually, it's supposed to be 10 + half level + Con mod
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

This seems more like a "+2 int, -2 cha" kind of race, because being able to lift heavy parts/raw materials is occasionally useful in crafting, whereas social skills are really unnecessary.

Otherwise, I like.

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by AgentofHellfire View Post
    This seems more like a "+2 int, -2 cha" kind of race, because being able to lift heavy parts/raw materials is occasionally useful in crafting, whereas social skills are really unnecessary.

Otherwise, I like.
    Eh, i picture them with a slight, but sturdy, frame. Besides i also said they get along with most races
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Added an extra Alchemical Prestidigitation, Pigment Spray, which is a stronger version of Color Spray
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like the race and I'm happy to see you didn't stop a while back ago.

I like all these racial abilities and I have always enjoyed the craft skill. I was thinking though that I would like to see a little more ideas for the webbing. Enhance in someway. Oh by the way when you get to choose two extra resins, does that count the webbing resin.

You say through sculpting they can create anything that can be made out of wood and metal. Does that mean you could sculpt a trap?

I was wondering if you can use the resins at will without having to use PP how do you determine how much is made at one time?

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    I like the race and I'm happy to see you didn't stop a while back ago.
    Thank you kindly

I like all these racial abilities and I have always enjoyed the craft skill. I was thinking though that I would like to see a little more ideas for the webbing. Enhance in someway. Oh by the way when you get to choose two extra resins, does that count the webbing resin.
    You automatically start with Clay and Web Resins as well as one extra resin of your choice in the Improved Internal Alchemy feat.

You say through sculpting they can create anything that can be made out of wood and metal. Does that mean you could sculpt a trap?
    Yes, i actually had a trapper zshar that did that once, he was one of my more skilled characters and one of the more fun ones too once i got the speed craft feats my DM used.

I was wondering if you can use the resins at will without having to use PP how do you determine how much is made at one time?
    You mean from the Expert Resin Crafter Feat? Well the action is the same for making the resin even if it doesn't take any pp, 2lb a round you dedicate to making the resin
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

Added a racial paragon class and moved the feats to the OP to make room for the PrCs i'll be making in the near future.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Love the paragon class. It was exactly how I saw a feat I wanted to try to make.

I think that if the character has the mist resin that the character should be able to deliever the inhaled poison.

Also, do you think that Circle of Life's plauge doctor would be good for its toxins which are basically poisons. Do you think you should be able to produce them too

12. - Top - End - #42

Love the paragon class. It was exactly how I saw a feat I wanted to try to make.
    Thank you kindly

I think that if the character has the mist resin that the character should be able to deliever the inhaled poison.
    Interesting point, i'll add that in.

Also, do you think that Circle of Life's plauge doctor would be good for its toxins which are basically poisons. Do you think you should be able to produce them too
    I'd say no. It's a disease/poison hybrid so it doesn't actually count, though a racial sub level very well could be used to make them.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

Have three PrCs planned, the names are in the second post under the Zshar Paragon. I'll try to get them up ASAP, but first, a teaser of what the PrCs do;

The Zshar Infuser focuses on attuning to his resin and improving on any weapon or armor made of their resin and allowing them to invest power points into them. If he has a mindblade he can invest in feats to infuse his mindblade into a weapon he wields.

The Genzsharian PrC needs a bit of clarification first, the Genzsharian was the name of the original Zshar design and is the source of the Throwback Gene feat. The PrC is a Zshar with the Throwback Gene that expands on it and becomes a skilled warrior.

The Zshar Alchemist expands on the Internal Alchemy racial ability and the True Internal Alchemy ability of the Zshar Paragon to the point of providing the ability to make potions internally. It'd probably progress the psionic artificer/artificer and give bonuses for enchanting their resin.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2012-01-22 at 09:43 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Darn it. You beat me to the another feat that would allow a Zshar paragon with the brew potion feat to be able to brew them inside him as well.

But I have to say I love seeing you making some classes for this. Makes me very happy indeed. I was just trying to imagine the alchemist savant's 'vanilla' potion being stored in the Zshar (or several in fact) and it made me giddy(a manly giddy :P)

15. - Top - End - #45

Started working on the PrCs, will add to them over the next few weeks until i find them satisfactory.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that this is a really cool race! The first thing that popped in my head reading it wasn't psionic artificer, it was a psion (shaper). The craft (sculpting) skill is used to shape astral constructs so that's where I got that maybe some kind of racial substitution level or something? Like if you manifest a construct adjacent to you, you can apply a resin to its attack or defense? just an idea and I wouldnt be surprised if you decided to focus on artificers
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2012-01-24 at 04:49 AM.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

17. - Top - End - #47

The zshar infuser is ready for play. It's not completely done (still need the PP cost for other materials) but it is now playable.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like the infuser and the alchemist seems to be just as awesome.

I was wondering about the metalline(?) metal property.

Or about feycrafted items. I know that the resin is half the weight already so I was first wondering if feycrafted would actually help, and how does one learn the craft?.

I love the amount of poisons, alchemical items, and now potions that can be stored in the alchemist. I also love the idea of infusing yourself as if you are an item yourself.

With the exp reserve and the craft point variation you are a walking lab of destruction. Which I think is a good look for a very nerdy artificer and/or alchemist.

19. - Top - End - #49

I like the infuser and the alchemist seems to be just as awesome.
    Why thank you, the alchemist isn't quite finished yet but i should have it done fairly soon, then i'll be moving onto the Genzharian, which proves to be more difficult than i originally thought.

I was wondering about the metalline(?) metal property.

Or about feycrafted items. I know that the resin is half the weight already so I was first wondering if feycrafted would actually help, and how does one learn the craft?.
    The Metalline Property from the Magic Item Compendium? It can only mimic one material at a time. But when stacked with all the other material emulations it gets to mimic a very good number of materials at the same time.

For the item templates from the DMG2, the zshar cannot use them since he cannot craft them. Only fey can make feycraft, only demons can make pitcraft, etc. However, i will be designing a Zsharcraft template at some point that can be applied to any item made of the zshar's resin.

Also, i increased the weight of clay resin to 10% less than steel, seems kinda odd for the resin to be as light as mithral and not grant the same benefits, and if it did it'd be kinda OPed.

I love the amount of poisons, alchemical items, and now potions that can be stored in the alchemist. I also love the idea of infusing yourself as if you are an item yourself.

With the exp reserve and the craft point variation you are a walking lab of destruction. Which I think is a good look for a very nerdy artificer and/or alchemist.
    It was actually inspired by rereading this thread i posted when i first got onto Giantitp titled Human Chemistry Set. I just made it into a race then expanded on it to make it a numebr of feats, then a paragon class, then a bunch of PrCs. I'm hoping to have a total of 5 zshar only PrCs by the end of this project.

Then i will move on to the next race
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Do the resin claws account for manufactured or natural weapons and is it still the case if you have natural claws too? Can you put Greater Magic Fang (?) on the resin claws(infusion?) as well as bane and other manufactured weapon enhancments?

21. - Top - End - #51

The claws count as both.

And no, you cannot enchant them, except with the zshar infuser PrC, because the claws only last for a day at the max. Can still be affected by things like GMF and effects on the zshar's actual claws do carry over to the resin ones as well.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Zshar alchemist ready for review and playtesting.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

And here I was geeking out about the unfinished Alchemist. Awesome work. Curious about the final prc but after seeing your other two classes I think I can see why it is a little trickier but I have no doubt about its awesomeness when it is finished.

24. - Top - End - #54

Started the Genzsharian, decided to play up the enhanced physical abilities more than the original idea but it should come out fairly well still.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Loving the feralization. I can see you are definitely going for the fighter feel with this one. I like it. I really like it. I think every race should have at least 3 racial prcs that seem to focus on its racial abilities. The Zshar is just so varied that specializing in a certain area becomes quite impressive.

Oh yeah. Awesome Work!
    Last edited by Merchant; 2012-01-30 at 08:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

I work with racial feats, which generally allows for variation because i can focus the PrCs on the feats which are already themed.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Haven't seen any additions to the genzsharian but I read it again and saw that you can add a feralization each level. It would be awesome for more features but the feralization could work out as it is. Of course filling up the durable form and others would be good.

Is there some predatorial way of using the resins. Oddly enough if you grab enough resins you can have webbing as well as creating an obscuring mist.

Oh I got an idea. What if while using his defensive throwback gene he can slick his armour up so it makes him harder to grapple while using a the sticky resin on his claws to make it easier for him to grapple.

Maybe strengthen the webbing to give him spider walk (Ex).

I was wondering if all resins are created from the hands normally, the throwback set (def and off) being a little different.
    If that is the case maybe the genzsharian can secrete it from any where on his body and maybe they are altered slightly. Like mist resin doesn't need water. So he expends his pp's to hide within a mist. Or maybe a special acidic resin allows him to gain a burrowing ability.

I see a cool ability of creating floating balls of resin that contain acid and when they touch something they deal splash damage. The genzsharian sets loose several bubbles while giving himself acid resistance and then attacks.

Hmmm... that's all for now.

Edit: Alchemical Breath Weapons!
    ps. how come they get wings? I thought they were just reptiles. Not that I have a problem, just curious.
    Last edited by Merchant; 2012-01-31 at 01:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Added to the genzsharian.

On the wings: they are made using kobold, which are draconic and can gain wings, so i added it in.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice additions.

I think that this prc should still be based around alchemy though. Granted the resin is a big part and actually keeps it quite simple for an attacker.

Hide in Mist
    Walk on Walls
    Ink Shot(water or in air)
    Improved Color spray: that allowed them to move slowly(scales slowly falling off to be replaced with new colors.
    Maybe adding their alchemy on to their scaled hide such as a tangle bag that anyone that hits him is suddenly tangled. Or if its oiled and heat resin then if someone strikes with a sword or any metal object there is a chance that it ignites and flys towards the source.

30. - Top - End - #60

Nice additions.

I think that this prc should still be based around alchemy though. Granted the resin is a big part and actually keeps it quite simple for an attacker.
    Already have two PrCs that focus on the resins, this one is supposed to be more unrefined with the resins, it's about becoming what the original zshar were, a race of warriors with only the barest of resin skills.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show