New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Toon Template (Make a D&D cartoon adversary!)

Hope you enjoy the following!

Toon Template:

Creatures with the Toon template have numerous advantages, and several disadvantages as well, over ordinary creatures.

All Toons can contort their bodies in impossible ways, giving them a +5 racial bonus to defensive grapple checks and escape checks.

All Toons have access to another dimension known as 'hammerspace' from which they can pull nearly anything. This space is shared, so anything stored in it can be accessed by any other Toon. To pull a specific object, the Toon must make an INT check at normal difficulty if they are the one who placed the item in hammerspace, -5 penalty if anyone else placed the item in hammerspace, +5 bonus if they are not trying for a specific item (though they can end up with any random object using this option).

All Toons have Parted Bodies. This means that any part of a Toon's body that is separated from the main body can operate as if it were still attached (a severed Toon head can even speak!). Blows to a Toon that sever body parts do not deal any actual damage to the Toon.

All Toons suffer from a -5 racial penalty to all rolls involving WIS.

Toons do not have any special resistance to poison, and in fact have a -2 to all saves vs poison. However, Toons cannot die from any poison (the worst they can suffer is complete incapacitation) and will be perfectly fine once the poison has been removed from their system. If necessary, the Toon themselves can vomit the poison out (but only someplace that no one else wants them to) and be better in 1d4 rounds, or sweat the poison out while they sleep.

Toons suffer from Whimsical Sleeping Disorder. They can sleep through the loudest noises and fiercest disturbances with no difficulty, but somehow almost always wake up at the sound of a pin drop (or similar quiet and normally non-disturbing noise).

All Toons can completely recover from ability damage done to them in 1d4 hours.

Toons do not bleed. Ever. It is the most reliable way of identifying them. They do still have blood, but it can only be removed by active extraction (such as by a vampire feeding).

All Toons have Whimsical Damage Reduction 5 (or greater if the base creature already had damage reduction).

Whimsical Damage Reduction differs significantly from standard Damage Reduction.

First off, there is no substance that can overcome Whimsical Damage Reduction.

Second, even though the creature is taking less damage, they still feel pain as if they took full damage. Rolls to stagger or render unconscious a creature with Whimsical Damage Reduction are treated as if the creature did not possess any Damage Reduction.

Third, all damage done to a creature with Whimsical Damage Reduction has an 80% chance of being non-lethal and a 20% chance of being lethal, no matter what it is classified as normally.

Fourth, every time a blow is struck, it has a 10% chance to completely bypass Whimsical Damage reduction.

All Toons have Whimsical Recovery:

When performing no other action, a creature with Whimsical Recovery has a 50% chance to heal 1d6 damage per level/hit die they possess. However, if they take any additional damage that round, this ability is negated.

A creature with Whimsical Recovery can also recover completely from death, including disintigration. They have a 10% chance to do this within 1d6 rounds, and must wait (# of failed attempts)d10 rounds before they can make another roll to do so at +10% recovery chance.

All Toons get triple the number of allowed Feats and Skill points to spend, but they only have access to a third of their total skills at any given time. Which skills they have access to is determined at random.

All Toons have Whimsical Skills and Whimsical Feats. Whenever a Toon tries to use one of their skills or feats, it has a 10% chance of outright failing.

All Toons suffer from DM Whimsy. This means that the DM has more control over a Toon's powers than they do. Any time a die roll is necessary to determine if a Toon's abilities work, the DM can outright declare the result without rolling if they would find that result amusing.

Toon PCs have Fourth Wall Awareness. Anything the player of a Toon character says to the DM is considered to be in-character.

Toon Feats. (To come)

Hammerspace Painting

Hammerspace Hiding

Whimsical Reality

Incredibly Annoying Voice

Spout Catch Phrase
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2011-04-03 at 07:07 PM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Whimsical Damage Reduction (Make a D&D cartoon adversary!)

Does the creature also gain the special quality Incredibly Annoying Voice, and the special ability Spout Catch Phrase?

3. - Top - End - #3

Creatures with WDR should also recover from Disintegration in 1d6 rounds.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

4. - Top - End - #4

SR vs Death Effects?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    First off, there is no substance that can overcome Whimsical Damage Reduction.

...Rolls to stagger or render unconscious a creature with Whimsical Damage Reduction are treated as if the creature did not possess any Damage Reduction.

...All weapon damage done to a creature with Whimsical Damage Reduction is treated as nonlethal.

...Whimsical Damage Reduction also has a 1/20 chance of simply not working against any physical blow (DM rolls a d20 and ignores any Damage Reduction on a 1).
    These lines all interact strangely. I think this ability is unusual enough that it should be several different abilities, 'cause currently this appears to be what happens:

1: Reduce damage as per Whimsical Damage Reduction 10/whimsical (10 damage gone).

2: Keep track of damage that would have been dealt, for the purposes of figuring out when the creature is unconscious. This is a really weird step.

3: Wait...ALL damage is nonlethal. So the Damage Reduction is...pointless? Or am I missing something? 'cause knocking unconscious can happen when nonlethal damage is equal to the current hit point total...

4: And now there's a chance for the whole thing to fail? When it fails...do I deal normal damage? Does the creature bleed? What happens?

Honestly, it would be easier to have, say, a Toon template, that grants these things as several different abilities. That would make book-keeping FAR easier.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I Agree with template Idea. I disagree with where exactly you break the abilities though.

certainly the failure chance, the not bleeding the actual damage reduction, and the subdule damage things things should all be one ability. The stretching stuff and the quick healing element should be separate though. as probably should the decap. doesn't kill thing be.
    Last edited by Thugorp; 2011-04-03 at 11:33 AM.
    Opinions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Role playing is more important than roll playing.

Gnomes are supreme, Flumphs are second only to Gnomes. This is the way the universe works.

Facts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Mine started at Doom Day Gras(Mardi Gras but with more Doom)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    "Apprentice?"
    "Yes?"
    "Get this floor mat off my head before I discorporate you."
    "Yes sir."

7. - Top - End - #7

Default Re: Toon Template (Make a D&D cartoon adversary!)

Changes made! This is now a full template with multiple abilities.

Any further suggestions, criticism, and comments are welcome.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Toon Template (Make a D&D cartoon adversary!)

Hey, someone else had the same idea.