New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default deck of many things

if you are like me and my groups then you too love the deck of many things

what my question is, what do you think the "ideal" level range for a party encountering the deck would be...i think of "ideal" as any bad things/combats resulting from it being difficult but not impossible, and any good things not being game breaking

thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: deck of many things

As I understand it, most groups consider that particular artifact a campaign ender.

In my experience, the DM giving the party a DoMT is an unofficial way of saying "Okay guys, campaign's over, let's just screw around with stuff until everybody's dead or gods."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Never.Ten character minimum.
    Fair warning: I edit my posts fairly continuously, sometimes adding substantial amounts in the period immediately after I post originally. I blame grad school instilling a constant need to revise.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Ideal level range is variable with DoMT - I would recommend it be done on the last session of the campaign, whatever level that is.

DoMT is a great concept, and can be fun, but it has a proven track record as a campaign killer. It tends to either gimp characters to the point of being unplayable (or outright destroying them with little hope of Resurrection), or give them outrageously overpowered abilities or items.

I think there is a Lesser Deck of Many Things out there (maybe homebrew, or an online article at WotC) with toned down effects - I'd recommend this over the standard DoMT.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's A Trap!
    "If I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint threw a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..." - Dennis, aged 37 - Executive Officer of the Week, Anarcho-syndicalist commune, somewhere in Britain.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What everyone above me has said. The Deck of Many Things is an awesome idea. Gambling with your characters? Aces! You can win or lose everything. That's also the problem. If it's not the end of your campaign, chances are your party's going to be decimated by the end of it. Some people will get good draws and probably raise in level dramatically, others will likely end up dead or crippled and incapable of fighting properly without DM intervention.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'm currently in a campaign which has survived the DoMT and is still ongoing. Still, the results were not pretty. All but one of us drew, and we had maybe 40-50% character death or disfigurement (lots of players, hard to remember exactly), and a few cases of brokenly powerful abilities.

The only reason this didn't end worse was because we traded the deck away to some NPCs before the newly rolled characters could draw their cards from the deck. All in all, it was a fun experience but not one likely to be repeated. (Also, the DM used some cool tarot cards as a prop, which made drawing even more irresistible).
    "This house is invisible to the ignorant."

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfonian View Post
    Never.Ten character minimum.
    I don't get it. The Wish spell isn't that powerful - as far as I'm aware, it just does the same thing that a regular Wish would do.

Also, one of my current characters survived using a Deck of Many Things. Got lucky and drew the "you get your own keep and a +6 bonus to Diplomacy" card.
    Last edited by Alleran; 2011-04-03 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

The easiest way to break DoMT - Suggestion. "Hey, you should totally draw twelve cards!" If Suggestion is insufficient, try Diplomancy or Dominate Person.

You can almost guarantee that the person drawing twelve cards is pretty much completely screwed, but you can also expect a hefty pile of loot left there afterwards. And possibly a castle.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    I don't get it. The Wish spell isn't that powerful
    The wish spell isn't. The Deck of Many Things is!
    And it's not that it's too powerful, but that it just randomly screws everything up. And there aren't that many cards. The chance for a particular event to happen are quite high.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    The wish spell isn't. The Deck of Many Things is!
    And it's not that it's too powerful, but that it just randomly screws everything up. And there aren't that many cards. The chance for a particular event to happen are quite high.
    No, I don't get the comic. He says he draws the Wish card. Okay, he has 1d4 wishes.

Except the Wish spell can't remove Tiamat from existence. It isn't that powerful. Yes, the Deck of Many Things can tear a campaign apart, but the Wish card is small potatoes compared with some of what the DoMT can do (e.g. Talons, Vizier, Void, Fates... especially Void), because Wish has a built-in "DM can screw with you" clause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    No, I don't get the comic. He says he draws the Wish card. Okay, he has 1d4 wishes.

Except the Wish spell can't remove Tiamat from existence. It isn't that powerful.
    Hyperbole (, from ancient Greek 'exaggeration') is a rhetorical device in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.

On topic: does anyone know of the minor deck of many things mentioned. That would be nice to find.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2011-04-04 at 11:10 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

...Here, maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Virsconte View Post
    I'm currently in a campaign which has survived the DoMT and is still ongoing. Still, the results were not pretty. All but one of us drew, and we had maybe 40-50% character death or disfigurement (lots of players, hard to remember exactly), and a few cases of brokenly powerful abilities.

The only reason this didn't end worse was because we traded the deck away to some NPCs before the newly rolled characters could draw their cards from the deck. All in all, it was a fun experience but not one likely to be repeated. (Also, the DM used some cool tarot cards as a prop, which made drawing even more irresistible).
    Yeah, I found me a Cuthulu themed Tarot deck. I use it for the DoMT and certain other RPGs that utilize a Tarot deck. None can resist it.

But yeah, it's generally horrific. I'll make an exception for at level one. If the characters are replaceable, it's not so bad.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2011-04-04 at 11:29 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Yes it may be a campaign killer etc...but if it were to be used, what do you think would be a balanced level to do it, where the wraith, imprisonment etc are challenging to overcome, but not impossible...and the rewards (magic item etc) are not game breaking

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The appropriate level to use it is the level at which you want your campaign to end.

17. - Top - End - #17

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    The appropriate level to use it is the level at which you want your campaign to end.
    That's only really fair if you would also end the campaign for, say, a 60% party kill. Personally, I find that the deck is an interesting way to shake up the story by randomly changing the party makeup.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by person29 View Post
    Yes it may be a campaign killer etc...but if it were to be used, what do you think would be a balanced level to do it, where the wraith, imprisonment etc are challenging to overcome, but not impossible...and the rewards (magic item etc) are not game breaking
    I haven't looked at the Deck in awhile but I'd guess maybe 13th to 17th level since no one else seems to be answering the question the way you want.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

See, this just doesn't happen.

Consider the following possibilities:
    1. Change alignment instantly. This can pretty much screw a character concept over pretty hard. Taken alone, as the only thing that happens to a party, it can be overcome, but it's major. It's also not level dependent.

2. One of your friends turns against you. Causes disruption. In general, for this to matter, it ends up being a friend of about your level, either in or out of the party. End conclusion: Equally bad regardless of level.

3. Permanently lose 1d4+1 int. Pretty much always terrible, if int matters to you. You may be able to hobble along, but it's never irrelevant. In worst cases, it kills a char concept based on int being a secondary stat.

4. Immediately lose all wealth and real property. Yeah. Always sucks. Always.

5. All magic items you possess disappear permanently. See 4.

6. Body functions, but soul is trapped elsewhere. Bad. Always bad. Sure, with 9th level spells, you can determine WHERE it's trapped, but it still results in a PC not playing while you rescue them.

In short, even at the highest of levels, it still wrecks campaigns.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Re: deck of many things

About level 14, when the PCs have enough going on that they'll risk it all... maybe.

Do remember, it can blow up everything. You can lose characters permanently from your game, or you can end up with them spawning an array of small keeps and stacking up wishes.

Deck of Many Things is the best item in the game, IMO ;)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Re: deck of many things

Two caveats:

1- It can change things dramatically. Characters may have to reroll, and you may have to adjust your campaign world suddenly.
    2- You should NOT give it to very low level characters. They have nothing to lose, and much to gain- for them, drawing from the deck is not a choice, it's mandatory- much like very poor or oppressed people will take any chance to better themselves, up to and including gambling their own organs, a rich person would not be likely to gamble their entire worth with a 50/50 shot of doubling it- or, for that matter, not even 75/25 in their favor, because the rewards don't outweigh the penalties.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    See, this just doesn't happen.

Consider the following possibilities:
    1. Change alignment instantly. This can pretty much screw a character concept over pretty hard. Taken alone, as the only thing that happens to a party, it can be overcome, but it's major. It's also not level dependent.

2. One of your friends turns against you. Causes disruption. In general, for this to matter, it ends up being a friend of about your level, either in or out of the party. End conclusion: Equally bad regardless of level.

3. Permanently lose 1d4+1 int. Pretty much always terrible, if int matters to you. You may be able to hobble along, but it's never irrelevant. In worst cases, it kills a char concept based on int being a secondary stat.

4. Immediately lose all wealth and real property. Yeah. Always sucks. Always.

5. All magic items you possess disappear permanently. See 4.

6. Body functions, but soul is trapped elsewhere. Bad. Always bad. Sure, with 9th level spells, you can determine WHERE it's trapped, but it still results in a PC not playing while you rescue them.

In short, even at the highest of levels, it still wrecks campaigns.
    1 - sucks more for divine casters...but could be mostly irrelevant for some

2 - does it say a PC turns against you? could be an npc...

3 - yeah sucks especially for int classes...fighter/barb prob doesnt care

4 - unless you are VoP

5 - see 4

6 - perfect if you have a player leaving for awhile (especially if you rig the deck)

You bolded the part about benefits being game breaking but never talked about that...?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

1 - sucks more for divine casters...but could be mostly irrelevant for some
    Mechanically it sucks for divine casters, yes, but your character shifting from Neutral Good to Neutral Evil is a pretty huge character switch and changes his character - something which (if you're drawing at level 14+) has been crafted over what is likely a fair bit of time and who you've probably grown quite attached to. It sucks for anyone who cares about their character's personality.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #24

I know of one guy's character that survived drawing 23 cards!!!!!!!

Everyone is right about it being a campaign ender.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

You bolded the part about benefits being game breaking but never talked about that...?
    I bolded the part that talks about game breaking. The deck breaks the game, not merely the benefits. The negatives are actually far more likely to end a campaign.

Consider the benefits:
    1. Defeat next monster to gain a level. -Eh, results in an almost one level disparity. XP is a river. Feh.
    2. Avoid any situation you choose, once. -Very cool, but the one shot nature of it means it isn't a source of permanent power differential.
    3. Gain 25 pieces of jewelry or 50 gems. -At low level, a substantial WBL boost that does provide a power differential, and not a small one. At medium-high levels, it's trivial. So, it fixes itself.
    4. Gain 10k xp or 2 more draws. -Everyone picks the xp. At low levels, results in an almost two level disparity(since you can't level more than once at once). Again, very cool, but the XP is a River effect mitigates the long term effects. At higher levels, it's not as big.
    5. Gain a major magic weapon. -Perhaps the single biggest thing at low levels. This one actually does matter. Mostly for lower tier chars, tho.
    6. Gain a 4th level fighter. -It's non-scaling leadership. Feh. Becomes irrelevant in a bit.
    7. 1d4 wishes. -Ok, potent. But it's always potent.
    8. +2 inherent bonus. -Not that important. A +2 bonus can be had in many ways, and is very rarely overpowering.
    9. Medium wonderous item & 50k xp. -Perhaps the best. Provides you with lots of power at any level.
    10. +6 bonus on diplomacy and small keep. -Least disruptive bonus yet, really. Having a keep doesn't generally affect party balance.
    11. Know the answer to your next dilemma. -Not unbalancing at all. It's a way for a GM to provide hints. Meh.

No, the ones like suddenly losing everything are more problematic.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

(since you can't level more than once at once).
    I'm not so sure. The PHB states(Pg.58) that you can't level more than once per "adventure" (but never defines what an adventure is as far as I can tell), the DMG(Pg.36) just talks about when you might like to award experience points with regards to sessions/encounters and while it once again references the term "adventure" it also does not define it in any sort of length. The choice of 50k experience from the DoMT seems odd when looking at the pre-epic EXP table. If we do assume that the boon of EXP offered could not be used to level more than once and instead puts you one exp short of your next level, why then does it offer 50k and not 40k?

153,000 is starting at 18th, and 190,000 is starting at 20th. 40k is more than enough to reach it, but it offers 50k.

The Deck seems, in this manner, to go against the rules with its offerings, and I can only assume it is yet another case of WotC making rules they didn't entirely think through, especially since, to some people, "adventure"=the campaign, which feasibly stretches over a dozen or more levels.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    I'm not so sure. The PHB states(Pg.58) that you can't level more than once per "adventure" (but never defines what an adventure is as far as I can tell),
    While that's true, I don't think that anyone can reasonably argue that drawing a single card constitutes multiple adventures.

My guess is that 50k was chosen on the base of it being a nice, large, round number. Sadly, I don't think more thought than that went into it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

While that's true, I don't think that anyone can reasonably argue that drawing a single card constitutes multiple adventures.
    Depends on the card

I do away with the rule personally, I would not be surprised if the majority of others do the same.

You're probably right that 50k was just chosen as a round number though. Nice job WotC.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

the trick with the deck is to draw alot of cards, like 7 or so. that way you will likely be able to come out on top, or at least even (if you wish you never drew from the deck at all)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

After some google fu, I've discovered the official Lesser Deck of Many Things.
    It's called the Totem Deck and appeared in Dragon issue #271.
    Thanks to the power of the public library I will soon have a copy of the issue emailed to me.